PDA

View Full Version : Good Depth For Burbot At Gull lake

DidsburyBowHunter
03-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Im thinking of going out to gull this sunday. I would like try and get some burbot before the season ends, but i have never fished for them so im not too sure what depth i should be fishing at this time of the season. some advice on what they are being caught on would be great as well

burbotman14
03-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Not to be discouraging or anything but the burbot have spawned and are a little dispersed, but you can still catch them. They are not in shallow (6-8 feet) anymore but I think you can find a few in the 12-18 foot range. A jig and a minnow works just as good as anything else. I find that you need to jig and thump the ground until they see it and then you just hold it still and they will come in and grab it. Last week they were not feeding much but since it has been a week since the spawn, they may be feeding to rebuild energy.

Rockymtnx
03-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Best of luck getting on the ice.
I heard today that it is pretty much snowmobile only after the wind and snow the past three days.
Can anyone confirm this?

DidsburyBowHunter
03-25-2011, 12:16 AM
if someone can tell me what the conditions are that would save me a lot of time and effort.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-25-2011, 12:41 AM
I heard today that it is pretty much snowmobile only after the wind and snow the past three days.
Can anyone confirm this?

They showed on the 11 :00 news Cabins at Gull lake a persons deck with close to 21/2 feet of snow . Im trying to find some other information if I find it Ill post it .

All i can give you is all the higways in the area are snow covered or icy .

K.J
03-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Can anyone confirm this?

The Lake is nearly impossible to drive on now. I was at birch bay the first day the wind got really blowing and was stuck a few times trying to get off. It is deep and the snow is kind of a sugary consistancy under the hard crusted stuff on top. You get no traction in it at all. I have four wheel drive, maybe with 4x4 and chains you might get around.

DirkDiggler
03-25-2011, 01:00 PM
I live on the North East side of the lake and I have recieved over 2 1/2 feet of fresh show over the past week not to mention the blowing wind. I wont even try to get on the ice right now unless I am on a sled. 10 inches of slush under 1 1/2 of hard /soft snow with the top 6-8 inches heavy and melting snow

alodar
03-25-2011, 08:13 PM
I was out the other day 2 days ago actually and its BRUTAL if u don't have a snow machine change ur mind

JJMorrocco
03-25-2011, 10:01 PM
Was on the the west side today south of golf course. No way you are going without 4x4 and chains all around. about 30 tents today. Seeing a few not many bites. Apparently there were some perch in the area, did see one jack on the ice.

Its a tough walk out the road is drifted and deep snow on off the road. Flood ice to the north try and stay south of road if you can.

burbotman14
03-25-2011, 11:20 PM
I was wondering how the access is at brownlows since there was a very good main trail established before the recent snow, and most of the other spots don't sound promising.

DidsburyBowHunter
03-26-2011, 02:26 PM
brownlows is the place where i would be going so if theres still a trail there that would be great.