PDA

View Full Version : Angler West Fishing Show

Sundancefisher
03-25-2011, 07:12 PM
I was curious watching this recent episode on WFN. They are fishing out of winter harbour using whole cut up pink salmon...but the interesting thing was they caught a kept 4 with two fishermen. Is that side of the island 2 a day...2 possession?

The guide was a goofball. He harpooned each one...15 pounders or 100 pounders...hit the harpoon in the meat instead of the gill plate. Very odd.

Tofinofish
03-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Sundance,

You are referring to Halibut correct? I would assume so if they are using Pinks for bait....
It is not open for 2 per day anywhere on the BC coast. Halibut regs are coastwide. The show may have been from a couple years ago? I am not familiar with Angler West show, and don't know if they have been on the air for that long?

Other feedback?

Sundancefisher
03-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Sundance,

You are referring to Halibut correct? I would assume so if they are using Pinks for bait....
It is not open for 2 per day anywhere on the BC coast. Halibut regs are coastwide. The show may have been from a couple years ago? I am not familiar with Angler West show, and don't know if they have been on the air for that long?

Other feedback?

It was pretty funny watching him harpoon every halibut...even the 15 lbers. Drove the harpoon through the meat most of the time.

tacklerunner
03-26-2011, 02:28 PM
Usually on shows where they keep their catch, they're trying to limit out so there was probably a cameraman with a license and maybe sound guy. Maybe.

Sundancefisher
03-26-2011, 03:59 PM
Usually on shows where they keep their catch, they're trying to limit out so there was probably a cameraman with a license and maybe sound guy. Maybe.

Watching the show they showed the two guys each landing and killing the fish. They can not by law give the fish to someone else in the boat...on less that person was holding on to the rod when it was netted...gaffed or harpooned in the water and pulled into the boat. If them filmed it...maybe they pulled an Italo and Henry ops? Unless it was from a number of years ago.

Serengeti Charters
03-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Watching the show they showed the two guys each landing and killing the fish. They can not by law give the fish to someone else in the boat...on less that person was holding on to the rod when it was netted...gaffed or harpooned in the water and pulled into the boat. If them filmed it...maybe they pulled an Italo and Henry ops? Unless it was from a number of years ago.

I know this lodge (qualicum rivers) and the year it was filmed, talked to the owner just last weekend(not about this issue however). This was filmed in 2010. They kept the limits for cameraman and guide...there was no sound man I know. They did that the next day for lings and yelloweye as well...it is technically illegal.

tacklerunner
03-26-2011, 07:38 PM
That's what I suspected. 4 guys pulling up to the dock with a limit is one thing but to film it and air it isn't the smartest thing to do in this case.

Serengeti Charters
03-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Sundance, where he harpooned the 150lbser is actually right around where you want to hit them...just behind the fin. This is the thickest area and it will ensure the harpoon will not be pulled back through and then you will lose the fish.