PDA

View Full Version : Hp recomendeation for 16 ft aluminium

rena0040
03-25-2011, 07:34 PM
I picked up an old 16 ft aluminium boat and I`m looking for a motor recomendation. It`s rated for 28hp but being so light i think that might be a bit much.

What are your thoughts, i generally fish with 2-3 fair sized men, cooler and gear. I want to be able to troll but also get the F to shore when bad weather rolls in.

I was thinking 15-20 hp 2 stroke, should i be looking more towards 25 hp?

Thanks

deer crazy
03-25-2011, 07:41 PM
max it out lol that bugger would fly with a 25

Dust1n
03-25-2011, 08:07 PM
x2 with crazy lol or go for the 28hp!:sHa_shakeshout:

horsetrader
03-25-2011, 08:14 PM
The heaver the motor the less gear you can carry no reason it would not handle a 25 would go no smaller then 20 unless it is very narrow and shallow boat used to run a 25 Johnson on my 14ft smokercraft was very deep and wide

FishingFrenzy
03-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Max it out, go big or go home.

You could probably throw a 30hp on and be fine. Lot of 30s can be used with controls so you could get a center console, that is my dream fishin machine!

If you want to do some slow trolling pick up one of the prowler electrics from bass pro for under 200 bucks, grab a costco deep cycle for 90 then you got a troller and backup motor.

Hope that helps! If you dont mind me asking how much was the boat?

horsetrader
03-25-2011, 08:35 PM
max it out, go big or go home.

You could probably throw a 30hp on and be fine. Lot of 30s can be used with controls so you could get a center console, that is my dream fishin machine!

If you want to do some slow trolling pick up one of the prowler electrics from bass pro for under 200 bucks, grab a costco deep cycle for 90 then you got a troller and backup motor.

Hope that helps! If you dont mind me asking how much was the boat?

if it's rated for a 28 why would you tell him he could put a 30 on it

Mayhem
03-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Get as close to max as you can. I used to run a Lund SSV-14 w/30 hp 2 stroke (rated for 35hp) with no handling problems. You don't have to be flying across the lake all the time but it's nice to have the power when you need it.

mooseknuckle
03-25-2011, 08:43 PM
250 merc!! Do it!!

FishingFrenzy
03-25-2011, 08:54 PM
if it's rated for a 28 why would you tell him he could put a 30 on it

Lets think about this logically... Its a 2hp difference. I may be wrong but a 2hp difference shouldn't make much difference in either weight or power..

Maybe im missing something but you might as well get as close as possible to 28. If you can't find a 28, 30 is damn close.

Ryancskor
03-25-2011, 09:03 PM
Lol why not two of em

bubba 96
03-25-2011, 09:16 PM
I run a 14 ft crestliner aluminum, with a 15 horse and with me, wife, 2 kids, age 9 and 5, I get close to 25 mph according to my gps....I use a 2009 merc 15 horse 4 stroke....And I'm not a little guy by any means...And I fish nearly every wknd and usually use 2 tanks for the year, My boat is rated max 20horse, and i troll mostly cvr badger southern res..Hope this helps....cant wait for open water... But a Buddie of mine has the lund 14fter and he runs a 25 horse 2 stroke....and we both gotta be over 250lbs( I know I am) each, and his just flies..

horsetrader
03-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Lets think about this logically... Its a 2hp difference. I may be wrong but a 2hp difference shouldn't make much difference in either weight or power..

Maybe im missing something but you might as well get as close as possible to 28. If you can't find a 28, 30 is damn close.

Boating Restrictions Regulations
Boating Restriction Regulations are enforced on specific bodies of water and pertain to local regulations such as:

Authorized Signs [ie: vessel speed limit, 'no wake' zone (courtesy in shared waterways),etc]
Maximum Engine Power Allowed
Waters on which vessels are prohibited/permitted
Age Prohibitions
Every person who contravenes these Regulations is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding $500.

FishingFrenzy
03-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Boating Restrictions Regulations
Boating Restriction Regulations are enforced on specific bodies of water and pertain to local regulations such as:

Authorized Signs [ie: vessel speed limit, 'no wake' zone (courtesy in shared waterways),etc]
Maximum Engine Power Allowed
Waters on which vessels are prohibited/permitted
Age Prohibitions
Every person who contravenes these Regulations is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding $500.

I genuinely appreciate that. I didn't know it was illegal. I dont have an aluminum boat and was just basing my observation on what i have read on a different site (US site).

Thanks for telling me but not being a moron about it like some guys.
Tight lines! :)
'frenzy

rena0040
03-25-2011, 09:58 PM
thanks for the input guys, sounds like i'm after a 25-28 hp.

i picked it up for $500 with the trailer, its about 5 ft wide and rated for 1350 lbs, just the three benches and stripped to the aluminium ready for paint.

anyone have a 25-28hp for sale or know where i can find a cheap one that runs?

horsetrader
03-25-2011, 10:06 PM
I genuinely appreciate that. I didn't know it was illegal. I dont have an aluminum boat and was just basing my observation on what i have read on a different site (US site).

Thanks for telling me but not being a moron about it like some guys.
Tight lines! :)
'frenzy

We should all be here to help each other been helped by a few here.
glad to help

FishingFrenzy
03-25-2011, 10:22 PM

i picked it up for $500 with the trailer, its about 5 ft wide and rated for 1350 lbs, just the three benches and stripped to the aluminium ready for paint.

good deal!!!!! if your looking for ideas on how to pimp it up check out www.tinboats.net

Its a cool site!

bubba 96
03-25-2011, 10:22 PM
Also make sure you have an operators card with you as well, thats a 250 dollar fine..

GotPumP
03-25-2011, 11:39 PM
I have a 25 on my 16 foot and its perfect!

horsetrader
03-26-2011, 12:35 AM

That is one hejj of a deal what make is it

Fishhunter
03-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Go with a 25 hp minimum if you have 2 or 3 guys most of the time the 25 is what you want.It is better to have more than not enough, I think a 15 to 20 would be under powerd especially if the water is rough.Personaly i would have a 30 on it look a the maufactuers specs and you will prob find that most 30hp motors are actually 27,28,hp anyhow but thats me i run a 30 yamaha on a 14 lund and it trolls just fine.Imay have a line on a 25 i will talk to the guy and see if he wants to sell it if so i will pm you later..

Kim473
03-26-2011, 06:46 AM
Buddy had a 10 honda on his and was not enough. After he put a 25 johnson it, Perfect. Max it out what the rating of the boat says.

rena0040
03-26-2011, 08:13 AM
i thought i read somehwere that legally you could go 10% over max rating, can anyone confirm this.

Speckle55
03-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Yep a 25hp will do.. nice posts Horsetrader

Jwood 456
03-26-2011, 11:50 AM
My buddy has a 14ft aluminum boat that is rated for 15hp though he has a 20hp on it and that thing just flys.:sHa_shakeshout:,:bad_boys_20:

I'm sure there won't be an issue with a 30hp on a 16ft boat. The government's, hp ratings I think are to be extra safe, though I would still be careful.

horsetrader
03-26-2011, 01:11 PM
My buddy has a 14ft aluminum boat that is rated for 15hp though he has a 20hp on it and that thing just flys.:sHa_shakeshout:,:bad_boys_20:

I'm sure there won't be an issue with a 30hp on a 16ft boat. The government's, hp ratings I think are to be extra safe, though I would still be careful.

It's not only the fact of what you think is safe it is a fineable offense to exceed the hp rating of the boat

Jwood 456
03-26-2011, 04:23 PM
This would be a sure way to get you from one end of Lesser Slave to the other in minutes.!

Just do the same to your boat as what this guy in the picture below did to his boat. (jk):bad_boys_20::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Random pic off of google.
The police boats would probably being trying to chase this guy but would probably never catch him.:bad_boys_20::sHa_sarcasticlol:

bowness
03-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Wow...We sure are a bunch of law abiding people. Canadians respect the laws and that is an asset of our society. I drive 55 km in a 50 zone so maybe I should rethink that?!?

The rating for a boat is stated considerably below what it can handle if you are somewhat capable with a boat and know your limits. That being said some people don't so thats why we have limits. Did I just go in a circle?

I have spent a considerable amount of time running boats of many varieties and they were all overpowered (according to the specks on the boats.) most of the time this was due to jet power being considerably less HP from the jet but still much over the legal limit. I have been checked many, many times by CO's and DFO enforcement officers and it never crossed their minds or mine.

That being said, times, they are a chang'in. Food for thought though: is a 16 foot aluminuim with a over sized 40 hp less safe that a 16 foot bass boat with a 200 hp that is rated for it??

ctd
03-26-2011, 05:12 PM
I think a 30 is overkill, but then again if you can why not. About the rating issue. Many people use a 9.9hp on a sailboat to make it legal for regulations. But many of those 9.9s are actualyl 10 or 15hp with a 9.9 sticker.
Buy a 30hp and get the 25hp cowling and or stickers, it is not illegal to cover up the hp rating. Just not fair when your racing the guy who only has a 25hp.:bad_boys_20:

horsetrader
03-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Wow...We sure are a bunch of law abiding people. Canadians respect the laws and that is an asset of our society. I drive 55 km in a 50 zone so maybe I should rethink that?!?

The rating for a boat is stated considerably below what it can handle if you are somewhat capable with a boat and know your limits. That being said some people don't so thats why we have limits. Did I just go in a circle?

I have spent a considerable amount of time running boats of many varieties and they were all overpowered (according to the specks on the boats.) most of the time this was due to jet power being considerably less HP from the jet but still much over the legal limit. I have been checked many, many times by CO's and DFO enforcement officers and it never crossed their minds or mine.

That being said, times, they are a chang'in. Food for thought though: is a 16 foot aluminuim with a over sized 40 hp less safe that a 16 foot bass boat with a 200 hp that is rated for it??

A 12' with a 2hp is less safe then either if in the wrong hands.

And if it's a 40 hp on a 16' rated for a 28 yes it's less safe than a 16' with a proper rated motor

Kim473
03-27-2011, 05:57 AM
The rating on the boat also is part of the manufactures rating of the strenght of the transom. Dont be afraid to go a couple hp over tho. I have a 115 on a 16ft deep V fiberglass that has a rating for 90 HP. The 115 merc I have tho is the same engine as the 90HP tho. Just a few upgrades like three carbs instead of two, bored out a little bigger etc.... It does the boat great. Have had 6 skiers up one time and great for pulling a single salolom skier. No slow down when a 200 lb skier cuts hard. If it has a rating of 28, I would not be afraid to go to a 30 but no more. You will be happy if you go the biggest you can. Need the big HP when the water get rough.
We were on Calling last year and the wind came up. If we did not have the 25 on as compared to the 10 the week before, the water would have been coming over the transom when we hit the next wave. Would not have been able to climb the next wave. We would have been swamped in minnutes.

Freedom55
03-27-2011, 12:34 PM
The static weight of new 4 strokes is significantly higher than older two's and either will add substantially to the trim of your craft. However, the thrust generated by an outboard clinging to the transom, if overpowered, will add loads to that main structure of the boat that they weren't designed to accomodate. (the original post was referring to an older fishing vessel with a rivoted panel construction and not a one piece design like a 'glas boat). If you fill an older aluminium hull with water, there is a better than even chance the water will leak out of the stern at the joint between the transom and the hull. This is indicative of the stresses over the years, abaft on any boat.

Fishing boats do not have the same requirements for speed as a ski boat, certainly, and no one is going to outrun a storm anyway. Particularly in a boat that has all the weight in the stern; ie the engine, the driver and the fuel tank. Head for the nearest shore and wait it out.

If you have enough boat experience to be looking for a lot of power to achieve great speeds, then you will already know that calm water boating is a whole different thing than waves that get up over a foot (or two or three or six) and rapidly change the level of danger.

I have been a boat owner for decades and my best advice is to start small to appreciate the dynamics of a boat on water. When you gain experience and confidence and still want a bigger engine, then get a bigger boat. Bigger boat, bigger water.

Added to that is the requirement by the Coast Guard to register any vessel operating with more than 10 hp, with a one time fee, and display the registry number on both sides of the hull and so on...

Free (the boats trapped behind a wall of snow)