PDA

View Full Version : Ice Fishing Derby - Gull Lake

Shovelhead 74
12-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Went to the mailbox and I see the entry forms are out for the annual Ice Fishing contest at Gull Lake. saturday February 16,2008 11:00am-3;00pm.
1st prize $20,000.00 2nd prize Yamaha Grizzly 700, 3rd prize Argo 480. early bird prizes too. Isn't that the family day weekend?
You guys all know the drill about the derby. Maybe see you there

Grizzled
12-01-2007, 01:09 PM
After last years derby there will be a lot less entries this year I'm sure...

Lethalconnection
12-01-2007, 01:12 PM
After last years derby there will be a lot less entries this year I'm sure...

Why what happened last year?

buckmaster
12-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Why what happened last year?

there were lots of people that left sour/unhappy last year;i doubt if half of these people will return for this derby!:o

Dr. Fish
12-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Far as I know last year the derby was run very poorly, I know a few people that wont be going this year because it was so terrible. But it probly just depends on who you talk to. I bet who ever won the top prize is happy and will be there again.

Shovelhead 74
12-02-2007, 08:48 PM
Missed it last year but the previous two years I went. Never won but had fun. Always seemed to be the hole beside me that caught. Oh well.

stihl master
12-04-2007, 09:30 PM
I don't think last years was ran poorly. They had some discussion during the prize give away that if all 126 fish weren't caught thay didn't have to give away all the prizes or something. Anyone else know what it was about. Sucks they have no boats this year.

matt1984
12-04-2007, 10:43 PM
what happened was they said that if all prizes were not accounted for in fish they would draw tickets for the remaining prizes. However only certain tickets that were marked were eligible for the draw. Many people were upset that their tickets were not eligible for the draw when they paid just as much as people that did get eligible tickets. I believe in the end they ended up allowing all tickets to be elegible as people were starting to get pretty choked.

amyp
12-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Hello!Just wondering where and when there will be a fishing Derby for 2010? Also,does anyone know what the prizes are this year?? Gull Lake?
I also heard about another derby that goes on,with woman in the weddding gowns and first fishing caught was a diamond ring??Anyone heard of this and where it is....Cause I wanna go!!

WayneChristie
12-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Hello!Just wondering where and when there will be a fishing Derby for 2010? Also,does anyone know what the prizes are this year?? Gull Lake?
I also heard about another derby that goes on,with woman in the weddding gowns and first fishing caught was a diamond ring??Anyone heard of this and where it is....Cause I wanna go!!

sounds a little Freudian Amy, you trying to tell us something? :evilgrin::lol::lol::lol:

tchow
12-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Got an Email from a bud and he spoke to Larry who is the organizer of the Original Ice Fishing Contest. Apparently again, there is nothing in 2010 because of the economy. IMO I think its because of the newer rules and Regs that the gov't has on Derbies and Tourneys.
Incidentally he was invited to join up Team Canada Ice fishing Team this year. They will be Wisconsin and I wish him luck.
Bring home the Gold for Team Canada,TERRY SWEET !!!

There's always going to be others who was disappointed with the Contest. Myself, I always had a great time and experience cept' can do without the drunk and disorderly behavior of some..
Buddy that was with me for the 2005(?) Kelly from the Hole took third place and bought home a Kodiak Quad. He was mere ounces from second place. That would have been 2 Quads..
For 2006, another buddy joined up with me for the first time. (Logan) Once the Siren went, he dropped down with Jig and Minnow. Bang..fish on, got a small Ling. After the tedious task of running to the tent to weigh in, he came back breathless. He rigged up again, and bang into another Ling. Back to the Weigh-in again. He comes back and guaranteed to win something.
Rigs up again and another Ling !! Others came by to sneek a look to see what he was using...LOL
He ended up getting a Smoker and just missed out on the boat. Another in our party, Terry Sweet did win a boat

Some friends still remind me of 2008 Contest.. We went there on the Friday to do some prefishing. There was 6 of us and with the aid of Electronics, located a good depth and marked it so we could fish the depth for the Tourney..
I got on to a hot bite and got about 5 fish before we quit so we did not pressure the fish. Managed a Pike over 10, 2 Ling that was 9 and 8 lbs. Weighed and released and we were stoked for the Contest. Needless to say, I did not catch anything that day, nor get a bite:cry::cry:
What was really disappointing was to find out that the winning weight of the Tourney was a 7.85 Pike !! My top 3 fish on Friday would have taken top 3 spots!!! Oh well, best man wins. Luck does play a big part in this.
I could have used the $20,000:evilgrin:
I'll still will go to these with along with some other friends, regardless..

There was some major changes that was to occur for the cancelled 2009 Contest. There was to be marked Boundary and no pre-drilled holes. No more pre-plowed roads and access to and from Boundary areas would be your own vehicle. Quads and sleds would be of choice for travel. Tents and Electronics could be used. Rules such as these would have eliminated those that did not have the all the proper equiptment.
I spoke with the Organizer a few years back and he mentioned of some upcoming changes. He wanted to draw in Anglers from the States to come up to compete. The Entry Fees would be higher but the pay out would be $50,000:love::love:
In the States, they have it set up where you have to fish a few Tourneys. The payouts are $50,000 per Tourney and if you qualify for the last one, the final is a $100,000 Payout..
Granted this style of Contest may not be for everyone. I have recommended it to others and they had a great time and will return to them.:cool:
You should come out to it Wayne if it does!

fish on
12-06-2009, 03:52 PM
20 g's oh my take'n the winter off. Is it still 50 a hole can somebody pm me the link for the entry form.

tchow
12-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Heres' the link:

http://www.originalicefishingcontest.com/alberta.htm

As I mentioned before, supposedly 2010 is also cancelled. If you know different, let me know.
Thanks

75ft Arborist
12-06-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm confused i thought last years was canceled. Is this different from "the original ice fishing contest". I didn't even buy a ticket last year because of the changes they made to the rules. Allowing ice shacks, extra holes, etc. "K.I.S.S." Keep It Simple Stupid! When everyone is in sight you know you have a fair chance, especially when there is a good cash prize.

tchow
12-06-2009, 06:54 PM
This is the same one. The 2009 Original Ice fishing contest was set for Wilson's Beach. It was setup a little different from the 2008 Contest.
There was to be a designated marked Tourney area. I bought two tickets for $100.00 which would have allowed me for 2 holes. There was other rules but I can't find my 09' Entry Form.
I agree that Huts, tents, etc should also not be allowed. Another was that Non-participants could also be in the designated area and setup their shacks. There was a rule that you had to be ?? ft from Non-participants. Would rather have the designated area for Tourney participants only.
Guess we won't know til the next one, but it looks like it won't be back for some time......

diesel777
12-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the good info tchow. Too bad about Gull, I had a great time everytime even if I haven't won a prize:ashamed: Does anyone have a list of any fishing tourneys in Alberta this winter 2010? the kids one is a lot of fun at the end of march at pigeon lake, my kid loves it.

bronco2
12-31-2009, 01:03 PM
Cow lake derby is usually on the free fishing weekend in Feb. call 403-845-6404 for more info.

Rumtan
01-02-2010, 04:54 AM
This year the Make-A-Wish derby is on Feb 14th at Wabamun Lake (just head through the town of Wabamun and look towards the left side of the town pier) and its still $40 a hole and most everyone gets a prize just for entering and the BBQ and coffee is included in your entry fee.

tchow
01-02-2010, 08:18 PM
This year the Make-A-Wish derby is on Feb 14th at Wabamun Lake (just head through the town of Wabamun and look towards the left side of the town pier) and its still $40 a hole and most everyone gets a prize just for entering and the BBQ and coffee is included in your entry fee.

I've heard nothing but good comments about this Derby.. Might have to do a trip just to check it out...

NYAJ21
01-30-2010, 12:24 PM
$5 per person entry fee

$4,000+ in prizes

Feb 13th 7am registration, Prizes awarded Feb 14th 4pm

Grande Cache Lake and Victor Lake

More details- Wes 780--827-6977

HILLYBILLYBARRY
01-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Yep had lots of fun last year good luck with this year Rumtan