PDA

View Full Version : Fire Place Chimney Question

rookiemoosehunter
03-26-2011, 10:36 AM
I have a couple of questions for you folks that have fireplaces or wood stoves in your houses.
I am looking at purchasing a different house that is 20 years old and it has a fireplace. I do know that the owner burned alot of wood over the years for heat.
Does a fireplace or wood stove chimney need to be replaced over time?
Is it something that a person should have inspected?

Is there anything I should be concerned about or look at closer.

Thanks

RMH

simmered
03-26-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm sure if you get a home inspection done the inspector will look at the chimney. At the very least I would give it a good cleaning before you use it.

ishootbambi
03-26-2011, 11:01 AM
^^^^ thats good advice.

Grizzly Adams
03-26-2011, 11:52 AM
20 years old ? Pretty good chance, the insulated metal chimney won't meet present codes. Some stoves, like Franklins, are no longer allowed either. Home inspector may or may not catch it. No certification program for them and some of them aren't too bright.:lol:

Grizz

deanmc
03-26-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm sure if you get a home inspection done the inspector will look at the chimney. At the very least I would give it a good cleaning before you use it.

I have dealt with these inspectors and while I am sure there are many good ones there are just as many bad ones.

I dont know the answer to your chimney question but do not trust that any inspector did there job. I have friends that have had to spend thousands of dollars later because they did.

simmered
03-26-2011, 12:25 PM
If your not completely confident in the home inspector you can also get some fireplace installers to inspect it as well. Just make sure the inspector is "wett" certified and that means they have the knowledge/schooling and have a licence to inspect specifically chimneys and fire/wood stove installs.

Jwood 456
03-26-2011, 12:32 PM
You should definitely get your chimney inspected for creosote build up. Lots of houses have burnt down because the oily greasy creosote build up has lit up in the chimney. From what I hear creosote burns at very high temperatures for prolonged times; hence why the walls and roof around the chimney can light up.

rookiemoosehunter
03-26-2011, 12:49 PM
If your not completely confident in the home inspector you can also get some fireplace installers to inspect it as well. Just make sure the inspector is "wett" certified and that means they have the knowledge/schooling and have a licence to inspect specifically chimneys and fire/wood stove installs.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I thought about getting someone who installs/ repairs fireplaces to look at it and have this inspection as one of the conditions to purchase.
I figure it will cost me but then if there is an issue I could get the seller to fix it or drop the price.
If it turns out good...well there is my peace of mind to safely use it.

How often do you guys clean your chimneys? Do you do it yourself or have a contractor use it?
Mechanical or chemical clean?

Thanks again for all the great input.

winged1
03-26-2011, 01:06 PM
You definately want a thorough inspection of wood burning fireplaces, specifically the stack. Creosote buildup is just a maintenance item and needs to be cleaned as required (it will depend on the way you fire the box). The big problems occur when excessive buildup burns and the excessive internal heat cracks you flu lining. So even if it's clean today, keep an eye out for past abuse. Your cap should be closely evaluated as well for stability and weather tightness, as well as all flashing and lumber in contact for signs of water penetration.

Your insurance company may very well want a visual inspection and they will have certain demands which may include a cleaning, regardless of when it was last done, a fire extinguisher, and a carbon monoxide detector. All good investments.

simmered
03-26-2011, 01:32 PM
You definately want a thorough inspection of wood burning fireplaces, specifically the stack. Creosote buildup is just a maintenance item and needs to be cleaned as required (it will depend on the way you fire the box). The big problems occur when excessive buildup burns and the excessive internal heat cracks you flu lining. So even if it's clean today, keep an eye out for past abuse. Your cap should be closely evaluated as well for stability and weather tightness, as well as all flashing and lumber in contact for signs of water penetration.

Your insurance company may very well want a visual inspection and they will have certain demands which may include a cleaning, regardless of when it was last done, a fire extinguisher, and a carbon monoxide detector. All good investments.

X2

I used to clean my chimney every spring when I took down my christmas lights with a manual brush, and usually once durring the winter I would burn one of those cleaner logs. Not sure how effective they are but again a few bucks for piece of mind is worth it.
I found that certian woods as well left different levels of build-up. Birch by far I found was the cleanest (also fairly hot as its a hardwood) and spruce and pine I found to be quite dirty.

rookiemoosehunter
03-26-2011, 03:39 PM
X2
I found that certian woods as well left different levels of build-up. Birch by far I found was the cleanest (also fairly hot as its a hardwood) and spruce and pine I found to be quite dirty.

What is poplar like in terms of build up?

Kodiak
03-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Popular isn't bad but gives off less heat. I know that after a couple weeks in the bush in a tent, you can fill a 5 gal pail with pitch from dry spruce.

Clean it and take the above advice.

Chimney fires aren't nice........google it.