PDA

View Full Version : not beef

slingshot
03-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Believe it or not ten years have gone by and I had to buy a pound of store bought beef regular grind.What a shock had to chase the beef in a big pool of water and some fat totally not a good experience cooking it.
I still do remember the good old days of going to your favorite farmer and buying a side now that was beef,also remember the best days as this is my first time in ten years that the moose has run out

birdhunter99
03-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Have had to do the same on occasion. Buy the lean and its not too bad. The regular is full of fat and moisture. It sure makes you appreciate moose!

fallen1817
03-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Some may be able to tell the difference, but when making lasagna, or meatballs or meatloaf, My mom always used ground turkey. I couldn't tell the difference, and it is pretty lean.

-Jeff

Matt L.
03-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Slingshot, you can still go to a local farmer and buy a side. I do it quite frequently. Most farmers would be quite willing to cut the middleman out lol. But then you probably aren't going to let the moose run out again are ya? ;)

decker
03-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Slingshot, you can still go to a local farmer and buy a side. I do it quite frequently. Most farmers would be quite willing to cut the middleman out lol. But then you probably aren't going to let the moose run out again are ya? ;)

Not legally you can't Matt

avb3
03-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Not legally you can't Matt

Are you saying I can't legally buy beef from a farmer?

He can't butcher it and sell it to me, but I can butcher it.

Matt L.
03-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I believe the packages just have to be marked not government inspected don't they?

stinkynuts
03-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Buying beef off the Farm is totally fine you just need to have it Gov inspected and if its not inspected it should be stamped as so on the packageing

boone052
03-27-2011, 04:55 PM
I buy beef from a farmer every year or two. You buy it from them and have a butcher cut and wrap it. Completely legal.

fatboyz
03-27-2011, 06:50 PM
You can buy the beef from the farm, but to be completely legal it needs to be hauled live to a licensed killing plant where it's slaughtered, and inspected there by a govt. inspector. You then have the butcher cut it to your specs. It's only legal for the farmer to home kill for his consumption. Rocky meats does it here all the time as they are one of the few small licensed plants. We buy a side of pork or lamb that way for a change from the wild.

decker
03-27-2011, 06:54 PM
You can buy the beef from the farm, but to be completely legal it needs to be hauled live to a licensed killing plant where it's slaughtered, and inspected there by a govt. inspector. You then have the butcher cut it to your specs. It's only legal for the farmer to home kill for his consumption. Rocky meats does it here all the time as they are one of the few small licensed plants. We buy a side of pork or lamb that way for a change from the wild.

Thats the way it is, i don't agree with it. I have 500 lbs of fresh farm raised beef no hormones or drugs and I can't sell a single lb of it.

Sputnik
03-27-2011, 07:09 PM
One word.....Bison.

It's not moose, but the next best thing.

Redfrog
03-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Decker, why can't you haul your beef to a butcher for kill and cut/wrap and then sell it? Or sell a half and take the other half home and cut it yourself?

kens
03-27-2011, 07:28 PM
You can buy 1/2 a fat steer or heifer, whether it ends up cut and wrapped is up to you.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
03-27-2011, 07:37 PM
I have never heard of any regulation about buying a beef animal from a farmer.

I'll have to check with a local cutter....

I think it has to do with how it is packaged.

if you buy a LIVE animal, and then it is killed for you and cut/wrapped, I don't think any regs apply

u_cant_rope_the_wind
03-27-2011, 07:42 PM
what the big wig government communist girly boys don't know wont hurt them now will it??:snapoutofit:
way to many people bow to this kind of government bullying, because some cash collector made up a new law, there is just one more example of the loss of our freedom:angry3:

bb356
03-27-2011, 07:45 PM
what the big wig government communist girly boys don't know wont hurt them now will it??

x2 !!! :bad_boys_20:

decker
03-27-2011, 07:52 PM
You can buy a steer off of a farm but it's up to you to take and get it slaughtered and cut and wrap.
If I was to sell 1/2 a beef to someone who wanted it I would have to haul it to a government inspected facility to have it slaughtered inspected and then cut wrap. I usually slaughter it myself and take it to the butcher to cut and wrap myself.

decker
03-27-2011, 07:54 PM
•If you are a producer living on your own premises, you can:

Option 1: Slaughter the animal yourself on your farm for consumption by your household. Meat sales are not permitted.

Option 2: Have a provincially licensed mobile butcher slaughter your animal on your farm and transport the carcass to a meat cutting facility for chilling, cutting and wrapping. The facility must be permitted by the regional health authority and all the meat must be stamped "uninspected - not for sale" by the facility operator. The meat is then returned to you for consumption by your household. Meat sales are not permitted. Check local municipal by-laws regarding slaughter restrictions.

Mobile butchers are allowed to slaughter animals intended for resale only if the animal is inspected before and after the slaughter. This emergency situation does exist for an animal that is unfit for transport, such as an animal with a broken leg. In this case, special arrangements can be made so that the animal is inspected on the farm by an inspector while the animal is still alive. This is done at the producer's expense. A mobile butcher can then slaughter the animal on the farm and the carcass is taken to an approved facility for the rest of the slaughter and inspection.

Option 3: Transport the live animal to a federally, provincially or European Union inspected slaughter facility. If you choose this option you may consume the meat yourself or sell it. If the animal has been slaughtered and processed at a provincially inspected facility, the meat can only be sold to another individual within Alberta. If the animal has been slaughtered and processed at a federally inspected facility, it can be sold in Canada and into the USA. If the animal has been slaughtered at a European Union approved facility, it can be sold into the European Union.

If the meat is destined for resale, it is the producer's responsibility to ensure the vehicle is refrigerated, properly sealed and set up to move meat. This applies to meat that has already been processed (cut and wrapped) as well as meat that is being taken to another facility for further processing.
•If you are not a producer living on a farm you must have your animal slaughtered at a federally or provincially inspected slaughter facility and you may consume the meat yourself or sell it.
Section 5 of the Alberta Meat Inspection Act reads as follows:
"No person shall sell, offer for sale, transport or deliver meat to any person unless...
a.The animal from which the meat was obtained was inspected by an Inspector.
b.The slaughter of the animal took place at a provincial abattoir or at a federal establishment.
c.There was a post-mortem inspection of the carcass of the animal from which the meat was obtained, conducted by an Inspector immediately after the slaughter of the animal.
d.The meat is judged by an Inspector to be healthy and fit for human consumption and that the meat is stamped with an inspection legend."
For more information:
Alberta Agriculture, Food and Rural Development

decker
03-27-2011, 07:58 PM
what the big wig government communist girly boys don't know wont hurt them now will it??:snapoutofit:
way to many people bow to this kind of government bullying, because some cash collector made up a new law, there is just one more example of the loss of our freedom:angry3:

Law is law

stinkynuts
03-27-2011, 08:28 PM
Shoot cut up freeze shut it simple or buy an animal live shoot it your self then have it cut and wraped perfectly legal

Double Shovel
03-27-2011, 09:22 PM

Option 1: Slaughter the animal yourself on your farm for consumption by your household. Meat sales are not permitted.

Option 2: Have a provincially licensed mobile butcher slaughter your animal on your farm and transport the carcass to a meat cutting facility for chilling, cutting and wrapping. The facility must be permitted by the regional health authority and all the meat must be stamped "uninspected - not for sale" by the facility operator. The meat is then returned to you for consumption by your household. Meat sales are not permitted. Check local municipal by-laws regarding slaughter restrictions.

Mobile butchers are allowed to slaughter animals intended for resale only if the animal is inspected before and after the slaughter. This emergency situation does exist for an animal that is unfit for transport, such as an animal with a broken leg. In this case, special arrangements can be made so that the animal is inspected on the farm by an inspector while the animal is still alive. This is done at the producer's expense. A mobile butcher can then slaughter the animal on the farm and the carcass is taken to an approved facility for the rest of the slaughter and inspection.

Option 3: Transport the live animal to a federally, provincially or European Union inspected slaughter facility. If you choose this option you may consume the meat yourself or sell it. If the animal has been slaughtered and processed at a provincially inspected facility, the meat can only be sold to another individual within Alberta. If the animal has been slaughtered and processed at a federally inspected facility, it can be sold in Canada and into the USA. If the animal has been slaughtered at a European Union approved facility, it can be sold into the European Union.

If the meat is destined for resale, it is the producer's responsibility to ensure the vehicle is refrigerated, properly sealed and set up to move meat. This applies to meat that has already been processed (cut and wrapped) as well as meat that is being taken to another facility for further processing.
•If you are not a producer living on a farm you must have your animal slaughtered at a federally or provincially inspected slaughter facility and you may consume the meat yourself or sell it.
"No person shall sell, offer for sale, transport or deliver meat to any person unless...
b.The slaughter of the animal took place at a provincial abattoir or at a federal establishment.
c.There was a post-mortem inspection of the carcass of the animal from which the meat was obtained, conducted by an Inspector immediately after the slaughter of the animal.
d.The meat is judged by an Inspector to be healthy and fit for human consumption and that the meat is stamped with an inspection legend."
For more information:

It's just a rule.

Go to the farm and shoot it and hang it up on the tractor,cut your half off and go home. You probably know the farmer so you can trust wether or not your getting a healthy animal.
Or pay for half the animal before it is dead then you own the animal together so then legally you can consume it yourself.
I paid $600 for a half,that was buying it and having it slaughtered at a government facility and cut and wrapped.
My next beef I went and bought on the hoof for $750 and brought it home,shot it and took to a friends to cut and wrap for $200 for the whole animal. I saved quite a bit of money bypassing the middle man.

avb3
03-27-2011, 09:36 PM
It's just a rule.

Go to the farm and shoot it and hang it up on the tractor,cut your half off and go home. You probably know the farmer so you can trust wether or not your getting a healthy animal.
Or pay for half the animal before it is dead then you own the animal together so then legally you can consume it yourself.
I paid $600 for a half,that was buying it and having it slaughtered at a government facility and cut and wrapped.
My next beef I went and bought on the hoof for $750 and brought it home,shot it and took to a friends to cut and wrap for $200 for the whole animal. I saved quite a bit of money bypassing the middle man.

Agreed, partner on the steer, or buy the whole thing.

Now it's yours, and do your own butchering.

I do my own moose and deer, what's so different with a steer?

Cattle Dog
03-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Thought that if you first "owned" the live beef , you could go to the farm and shoot it and take home the two sides to butcher at home. Maybe i am wrong on that.

So does that mean that if you buy a chicken from the farmer, that you have to transport it first to a federally-inspected butcher shop (where there are millions of germs in the receiving building) to get it inspected???.

Anyways, folks: the pasture-raised beef is so superior to the feedlot beef:
(the latter is plugged full of barley or corn, while it is confined to live in a pen standing in excrement and urine for several months of its life, and it is so fat without exercise that either the liver or lungs are nearly at life's end before it is slaughtered; and the marketers call this poor quality fatty beef "marbling"). Always try to get the firmer pasture-raised beef direct from the farmer if you can.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
03-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Law is law

yup it is and they will keep makeing new ones until ALL OUR FREEDOM IS GONE

decker
03-27-2011, 10:12 PM
I am not saying I agree with it, it's the law. And the one who gets charged is going to be the cattle producer not the person buying it.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
03-27-2011, 10:20 PM
I am not saying I agree with it, it's the law. And the one who gets charged is going to be the cattle producer not the person buying it.

unfortunately you are right, and unfortunately its that way with allot of things, its like its OK to break in and beat up and rob some one , but if that someone shoots the booger man he is at fault, and gets charged,people cant win these days , the farmer sells a beef to the buyer to survive, the buyer gets away with it even though he could have bought it at a much higher and legal price from Safeway, just one more way to give it to the farmers over the barrel, and use a jar of broken glass and sand mixed with Vaseline for lubrication
. darned if you do and darned if you don't

oldgutpile
03-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Decker is 100% right in the laws of do's and dont's for processing domestic livestock. Although it does make it tough to cut out the middleman, the intent of the law is not to support some wild butcher monopoly to penalize the producer. The laws were set with the intent to protect the consumer, to make sure the animals in question were in fact fit for human consumption. The system insures that people cant process and sell "dead-stock" or animals that are not fit to go through the local auction mart.

Redfrog
03-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I don't see the big gov't interference here.
If it's your beef and you want to sell it. Take it in to be killed and inspected. The buyer is going to pay for the slaughter in the price of the beef. Once it's inspected he can take it home or have it cut and wrapped. Either way he is getting an inspected product for a fraction of the cost of a super market beef.

rhuntley12
03-28-2011, 07:21 AM
I think it was food inc the movie that had a farmer they kept trying to shut down as he butchered his chickens in the open air. He had a company come test his chickens compared to super market and his had a fraction of the bacteria.

I've actually started to use a lot of chicken / turkey in place of beef.(spagetti ,etc where you cant tell) Always on the lookout for a good butcher but haven't found one I like yet. Sick of the hit or miss beef.

Double Shovel
03-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I don't see the big gov't interference here.
If it's your beef and you want to sell it. Take it in to be killed and inspected. The buyer is going to pay for the slaughter in the price of the beef. Once it's inspected he can take it home or have it cut and wrapped. Either way he is getting an inspected product for a fraction of the cost of a super market beef.

I am not too sure about the difference in costs. Also another reason people would like to avoid the butcher (middle man) is so they know they are getting their own meat back. On my half that I bought and had done, my T-bones came with no tenderloin in them(where did they go?),my ribs were a foot long when I asked for 5" short ribs. I also asked for quite a bit of minute steak and only got two packs. I also work beside a butcher shop and if I can help it I would never take an animal there. You can see and hear what goes on and there is no way I would want my animal that I put all that time and feed into,to be butchered all stressed out. This is why I do it myself so I know when I shoot it beside the bale it was eating,it is not stressed out.

Grizzly Adams
03-28-2011, 05:00 PM

For more information:

I suspect the European Union inspected facility, applies to horsemeat.:lol: We just bought a half beef from the Olds college. I like the idea that someone is checking out my meat, before I eat it. Wouldn't drink raw milk either.

Grizz

avb3
03-28-2011, 08:45 PM
I suspect the European Union inspected facility, applies to horsemeat.:lol: We just bought a half beef from the Olds college. I like the idea that someone is checking out my meat, before I eat it. Wouldn't drink raw milk either.

Grizz

Grizz, you mean you would not trust a steer you shot and butchered yourself? Somehow I don't think you mean that. If you did, then you would want all your moose and deer inspected too.

Are you referring only to something that someone else killed and butchered?