PDA

View Full Version : A nice and most welcome encounter with a fox

gitrdun
03-26-2011, 10:24 PM
After a long day's drive to make camp for supper, this little fellow came to visit (ask for food) as I came out to the truck. Made my day after driving through fog and then on bad roads for 8 hours.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j93/elkfirst/Home/fox1.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j93/elkfirst/Home/fox2.jpg

Albertadiver
03-26-2011, 10:33 PM
Healthy looking little guy

greylynx
03-26-2011, 10:39 PM
It's been a hard winter.

Please give that game bird eatin varmint something to eat.

One thing, Check if he looks rabid. Seriously.

gitrdun
03-26-2011, 10:45 PM
How do you check?....this little fellow just came around friendly as can be. Wouldn't it be freaking out or something if it was rabid. Oh....I think it's well fed, it lives in camp, anything in camp is well fed. :thinking-006:

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-26-2011, 11:06 PM
Them are beautiful animals . The place I park my holiday trailer in town here has a Pack ? of little red foxes . Last spring I was out there at my trailer and there were the young ones so cute . Probably the only dog I wouldnt shoot .

Selkirk
03-26-2011, 11:24 PM
. . .

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j93/elkfirst/Home/fox1.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j93/elkfirst/Home/fox2.jpg

Thanks for those ^ two pics ... made my day! :happy0034:

TF

Alberta Bigbore
03-26-2011, 11:25 PM
such a close encounter must be very rare ... you should feel lucky

greylynx
03-26-2011, 11:27 PM
How do you check?....this little fellow just came around friendly as can be. Wouldn't it be freaking out or something if it was rabid. Oh....I think it's well fed, it lives in camp, anything in camp is well fed. :thinking-006:

If he don't look sick don't worry.

Rabies hits the brain. You will know.

I have a fox around the old chicken coop right now. He keeps the skunks out of the area. The fox is a good mouser too.

I hate skunks. I know I know they are good for something............

If I could only get the weasels back by the house. Really good mousers.

Selkirk
03-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Had a major tussle with a hunting buddy of mine a few years back ... almost ended up in fisticuffs.

We were out hunting pheasant one day when we came across a little red fox. It happened pretty fast ... he was about to shoot the little bugger when I stepped between him and it and pushed his barrel aside. He yelled at me; "They kill and eat pheasants!". l yelled back at him; "So do I, and if you want to get to him, you'll have to go through me!"

We both laugh at that encounter now, but at the time it was pretty intense.

TF

winged1
03-27-2011, 09:02 AM
If he don't look sick don't worry.

Rabies hits the brain. You will know.

I have a fox around the old chicken coop right now. He keeps the skunks out of the area. The fox is a good mouser too.

I hate skunks. I know I know they are good for something............

If I could only get the weasels back by the house. Really good mousers.

We had at least one weasel in the yard for years, until the city started mowing the park. Couldn't leave your boots out without him stuffing a mouse in each one.

gramps73
03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Cute little guy but how did you get that costume on Ozzie?

pickrel pat
03-27-2011, 12:24 PM
such a close encounter must be very rare ... you should feel luckynot really that rare......many camps have them. seen quite a few tame ones at camp.

roger
03-27-2011, 02:06 PM
in the last natgeo mag, there was a segment on europeans raising foxes as domestic pets.

209x50
03-27-2011, 02:28 PM
I have a Vixen that looks like she might den on my place this year. I've raised hell on the coyotes here the last couple of years and it is starting to show when the fox comes nosing around.

yukon12
03-27-2011, 03:01 PM
I have a Vixen that looks like she might den on my place this year. I've raised hell on the coyotes here the last couple of years and it is starting to show when the fox comes nosing around.

Same here. Hope she stick around I like seeing her.

gitrdun
03-27-2011, 05:26 PM
Cute little guy but how did you get that costume on Ozzie?

Hahah! He's been on a diet. When I'm not home, the missus doesn't feed him, nor puts fuel in the truck: LOL .... speak a word of this and I'll box your knees :fighting0030:

gitrdun
03-27-2011, 05:29 PM
in the last natgeo mag, there was a segment on europeans raising foxes as domestic pets.

Yes, I saw that segment as well, hopefully it'll be followed by a documentary on the NG channel. I tell you, had this little guy jumped in the truck, I'd have me another pet.

doetracks
03-27-2011, 05:45 PM
not really that rare......many camps have them. seen quite a few tame ones at camp.

Yeah, one of the Devon camps I fly into has a resident camp fox (or three). I wish they'd stay off the runway :thinking-006:

mudbug
03-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Great pictures :) Thanks for sharing them

Lone_Wolf
03-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Nice pictures. Foxes are so cute and can be so benifitial. There is a vixen around that raises a litter every year. They have never bothered anything, and keep the gopher population thinned out. I don't think I could ever shoot a fox.

Selkirk
03-28-2011, 12:31 AM
. . . They have never bothered anything, and keep the gopher population thinned out. I don't think I could ever shoot a fox.

X2 to that ^, by golly! :happy0034:

TF

rhuntley12
03-28-2011, 07:15 AM
Foxes are so neat, good reason to kill coyotes to get them to come around.:)

gitrdun
03-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Foxes are so neat, good reason to kill coyotes to get them to come around.:)

Good analogy. But as I've said many times before "just 'cause your're packing a gun, does'nt mean that everyhing needs to die". We need to appreciate our wildlife as outdoorsmen/women. :)

gramps73
03-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Hahah! He's been on a diet. When I'm not home, the missus doesn't feed him, nor puts fuel in the truck: LOL .... speak a word of this and I'll box your knees :fighting0030:

Looks like that paint job is going to pretty cheap after all....

Coulee
03-28-2011, 07:53 PM
It's hard to resist the poor little chap. Especially after this last winter; and as predators ourselves, we can relate to him. As a side note, I once dug out a fox den that had 238 pairs of pheasant wings in it. Having said that, I think I'd still give him a scrap or two.

doetracks
03-28-2011, 10:00 PM
...238 pairs of pheasant wings in it. .

You can bet they were well earned :lol:

Selkirk
03-29-2011, 12:01 AM
. . . But as I've said many times before "just 'cause your're packing a gun, does'nt mean that everyhing needs to die". We need to appreciate our wildlife as outdoorsmen/women. :)

I couldn't agree more ^ !

For many years now I have advocated that us 'Outdoorfolk' (solves the gender issue ;)), should on one hand be hunters, fishers, etc., and on the other hand also be conservationists.

It makes for a good balance, so we can continue to hunt and fish, while preserving all the wildlife and habitat for future generations.

TF

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-29-2011, 01:22 AM
Like my mother says Hunters and other outdoor folk are the best conservationists . ITs to bad the tree huggers and bunny protectors dont see that .