PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

malang
03-27-2011, 11:24 AM
hey guys just inharited a16 foot fiberglass boat with 6 cly in board. i have been out with it a few times. what i want to kwow is how can i slow it down so i can troll with IT. can't afford out board right now. any suggestion.

tacklerunner
03-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Sea anchors. If you're not familiar with them the are fabric bags that open up and hold water. You tie them off on each side of the boat and they are desingned to hold a boat on a spot when the wind is strong in 100s of feet of water; Halibut fishing for example.

Other thing is you can troll a well secured fair sized pail/bucket behind the boat too but it can get in the way of landing a fish.

Both of these methods will make the engine run harder as it's it like trolling up a current so you'll burn more fuel as well.

Based on you're budget, the best solution would be to but an electric motor for $100 - $200. Maybe a MinnKota with 50 lbs of thrust or so. You can probably find one used on the buy & sell too. This way you likely will never end up getting a gas outboard anyways. Just remember you might need a 2nd battery if you don't already have 2; another $100+ and that you will be steering with the handle vs the wheel. There are also systems you can get to attach the trolling motor leg to your main leg so that you can steer it with the wheel. If you leave you inboard leg down, depending on conditions, it can also act as a rudder and you may have some control with that alone.

Hope this helps.

Grouse Assassin
03-27-2011, 11:42 AM
also a solar panel works good for keeping your trolling motor batter charged up all weekend i think i paid 100 bucks for mine at CT :)

perchfinder
03-27-2011, 11:51 AM
change your propellor to a lower pitch; guessing it could be a 19 or 21 now so try a 15 or 17 and see how that works out.

Kokanee9
03-27-2011, 12:16 PM
I agree with Tacklerunners suggestions.

I used to use a wide, shallow bucket behind the motor. I took off the handle and drilled 2 holes. I put a rope through the holes and then tied the ends to each side of the transom. The bucket was able to move side to side that way. Don't use too long of a rope, because when you stop, the rope may sink down near the prop. Ideally you want the bucket right in the path of the water behind the prop.

When I was a kid, we had an inboard, and always ran it on the belief that they may overheat if trolled or idled for too long. Hope you have a temp gauge to monitor.

There are some plates that you can add to the motor that flip down right behind the prop for trolling and flip up for cruising. I'm not a fan of those.

The sea anchors also will work. Don't be fooled by the packaging recommendations. Go at least 1 or 2 sizes bigger than what the package recommend.

I will try and add some links below. If they work great, if not, copy and paste them I guess.

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1183&section2=1225&ID=8151

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=71&&section=1183&section2=1225&ID=821

tacklerunner
03-27-2011, 12:24 PM
Right on the money Kokanee. Those flip down plates don't work very well. There's not enough resistance from a flat, thin plate.

Drift socks is what we call sea anchors on the coast. They work well because they on the side of the boat and aren't in the way. And the bucket works great but you have to be attentive when using it.

It's just as easy and cheaper to come up with a homemade solution than to buy something.

Personal preference.

Kokanee9
03-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Looking back, I could have put some kind of floats on the rope to keep it out of the way. Too late now I guess. Sold that boat in 94.

I have a larger boat now and use the drift anchors. I have 2 sizes for light or heavy winds (don't ask me to go out in the garage and see what size they are!) and thought they would slow the boat down more that what they do. Both have a small hole to let the water through at the end and I have to come up with a way to make that hole adjustable. Some velcro should help I guess.

-JR-
03-27-2011, 12:52 PM
I normaly just turn down the idle on the carb,and drag a pail behind the boat if i want to go slower. Would like to try a trolling bag one day also .
Have tried a smaller pitched prop, boat went faster ,because engine rpm went up because it works less .

Speckle55
03-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Second motor is the best and a hook up to steering ... 5 to 10hp ok or electric depends on money .. and that depends on what you will be trolling for.. stop and bait cast or jig what are you fishing for ..cast a rap..etc etc