PDA

View Full Version : Harper/Separatist coalition possible

walton
03-27-2011, 11:36 AM
Harper was ready to form a minority government with himself as prime minister, backed by the NDP and Bloc, following the 2004 election, in the event the then-Liberal minority government of Paul Martin lost an early confidence vote in the House.

Harper said as much in a Sept. 9, 2004 letter to then-gov. gen. Adrienne Clarkson signed by him, NDP Leader Jack Layton and Bloc Leader Gilles Duceppe.

yukon12
03-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Harper was ready to form a minority government with himself as prime minister, backed by the NDP and Bloc, following the 2004 election, in the event the then-Liberal minority government of Paul Martin lost an early confidence vote in the House.

Harper said as much in a Sept. 9, 2004 letter to then-gov. gen. Adrienne Clarkson signed by him, NDP Leader Jack Layton and Bloc Leader Gilles Duceppe.

Whats your point? Harper will not take away guns the rest of the will we have no choice but to vote for harper who cares what he said he 2004.

Iggy and Taliban Jack have said right now they will band handguns and semi autos.

dumoulin
03-27-2011, 12:15 PM
Othe than the Block Q wanting to separate and it's principle interest being Quebec, there policies and views are basically just as right wing as the conservatives. Consider this, the Libs principle interest is Ontario and they of course are lefties. Who could Harper ally with? If he shouldered with the Block Q, although it may cause him to be clear on his stance regerding federalism, he would gain sovernist and non sovernists conservatives to join in...Again, he would vae to be very clear on his stance regarding federalism.

blackpheasant
03-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Interesting first post Walton...:thinking-006: Anyways the so called letter was used as a tactic to force the Martin Gov. into working with the opposition parties, all 3 party leaders of that time have said that a coalition Gov. was not going to happen....

bessiedog
03-27-2011, 12:54 PM
Harper will do big lies to officialgov't offices to suit his plans.

Or

This is a pot calling the evil coalition kettles black.

Either way..... I think the conservatives have some huge ethical questions to answer, which dissapoints me.
All the fairly pricipled members seem To have left or are leaving:
Prentice, Day (in the context that he'd refrain from committee screwing), strall... These all have left, and questions about their leaving remains.

Now we're stuck with .... Oi. Bev oda....

yukon12
03-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Harper will do big lies to officialgov't offices to suit his plans.

Or

This is a pot calling the evil coalition kettles black.

Either way..... I think the conservatives have some huge ethical questions to answer, which dissapoints me.
All the fairly pricipled members seem To have left or are leaving:
Prentice, Day (in the context that he'd refrain from committee screwing), strall... These all have left, and questions about their leaving remains.

Now we're stuck with .... Oi. Bev oda....

What ethical questions? The made up scandales by the other parties bent on an election no matter the costs? Give me a break.

Day has been in politics for a quarter century and was tired of flying across the country every week and decided to retire and spend time with his grand kids. Prentice left for a high paying job at a bank. So what question remain about them leaving? Just made up lefty crap.

You want to talk about scandals and ethical problems look at the liberals they have a unelected leader, people from their party are in jail for stealing tax payer money. The so called scandals of the CPC are made up plain and simple and nothing has been proven.

Anyone who thinks the NDP or the Liberals have the best intrests of this province or gun owners is nuts plain and simple.

Anyways it does not matter because the CPC will sweep this province the battle grounds are going to be Ontario and B.C.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
03-27-2011, 01:18 PM
the only way to tell what the temperature is, is to look down the side walk on cold days the lawyers and politicians have their hands in their own pockets , on the warm days they are the ones with their hands in everyone else's pockets, all politicians are born liars and practice hard every day to keep that up,
we have a choice of 3 evils, liberal:argue2:, NDP:argue2:, and conservatives, :argue2:
its just like paid hunting , eventually they will get all our guns as well

Lonnie
03-27-2011, 01:38 PM
ain't that the truth

blackpheasant
03-27-2011, 02:23 PM
Ya you bet guys I find Steve Harper scary and evil too...I think if he wins a majority the horns on his head are going to pop out....

Matt L.
03-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Then which evil, scary one do we vote for?

hal53
03-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Then which evil, scary one do we vote for?
the one that won't take your guns away???.......

Matt L.
03-27-2011, 02:32 PM
That's what I thought. We really don't have much choice.

yukon12
03-27-2011, 02:52 PM
the only way to tell what the temperature is, is to look down the side walk on cold days the lawyers and politicians have their hands in their own pockets , on the warm days they are the ones with their hands in everyone else's pockets, all politicians are born liars and practice hard every day to keep that up,
we have a choice of 3 evils, liberal:argue2:, NDP:argue2:, and conservatives, :argue2:
its just like paid hunting , eventually they will get all our guns as well

If the firearm community helps the conservatives win a majority we will become a factor in further elections because all of sudden we have a effect on the outcome of elections. Then we have a chance to stop the slide of gun policy in this country and even a chance to reverse policy and set anti's back decades. But if we do not unite and stand up for our rights than we deserve what we get

yukon12
03-27-2011, 02:54 PM
That's what I thought. We really don't have much choice.

There is no choice in this election either conservatives and the end of the registry and hopefully a overhaul of the firearms act or the Liberals, NDP, and Bloc and bandding all guns but single shot firearms.

As I said it really will not matter as teh Conservatives will likely sweep this province. This will be decided in Ontario and B.C.

6.5 shooter
03-27-2011, 04:45 PM
If the firearm community helps the conservatives win a majority we will become a factor in further elections because all of sudden we have a effect on the outcome of elections. Then we have a chance to stop the slide of gun policy in this country and even a chance to reverse policy and set anti's back decades. But if we do not unite and stand up for our rights than we deserve what we get

This is the best comment I have read in all of the Election threads on this web site.....GOOD work Yukon12

Just look at the POWER the NRA has in the States!

rugatika
03-27-2011, 05:02 PM
I find it pretty rich that the lefties are whining about Harper using all their own tricks against them. NOW, the media and all the little liberal sycophants want everyone to play nice. When it was Chretien, he was a master tactician, and political mastermind, now that it's Harper...he's an evil dictator with no respect for democracy.

The hypocrisy of the left ceases to amaze me.

bessiedog
03-27-2011, 05:51 PM
C'mon! now.

You just keep harping about who started the 'evil political tactics' Rug. It serves your purpose... but please, for once.. just be real and note that most politicians read-do the machiavelli. If ya wanna play who did evil first in Canadian politics, I guess we go back to the First PM, who was a Tory.... and we look at how the CPR was built. Then I say 'I win'.

I'll be voting Consie simply on the basis of their fiscal track record (which is the least stupid), and the gun reg issue. Also, its pretty moot to vote for any opposition votes where I live.

Proportional representation is an interesting idea.

This 'Coalition broadside' that Harper was advised to do was terrible! He now has lost the initiative and ducepp of all people is controlling the dialogue. And Harpo is not a 'from the hip' kindof debater.... kindof shot hisself there yes?

If you think Prentice left for 'big bank $$' reasons... you need to look a little deeper.
I dunno... I got a feeling of rats... sinking ships and all that.

We need Preston Manning back.

Name me one gov't that was taken down due to 'Contempt of Parliament'. I don;t think you understate that. I'm big on democracy.

huntinstuff
03-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Political atmosphere changes all the time

In 2004 Harper and the rest of Canada saw that the Liberals were crippling Canada

He made a proposal, which ultimately brought the corrupt riddled Liberals to defeat and the days of Martin were over.

It was a proposal. The Liberals actually TRIED it. Thats the difference. And they failed because Harper shut down parliament. Why? Because he knew that this failed attempt by the Libs would be their undoing

And so it was. The Libs had to get rid of Dion, but there was no one capable in the party to take the leadership

So they found Ignatieff.... A guy who is a Canadian by convenience

No one knew him, and now that they do, they hate him. Yet the Libs still try to push him forward. He is out of his element and will fail, but the Libz will sacrifice Iggy, just like they did Dion, because when they arent in power and cant feed off Canadians, they feed off their own

Harper wont have to worry about coalitions tho, as a majority doesnt need it

Typical Liberal practice of comparing apples to oranges and thinking we Canadians are all inferior intellects.. I dont fit that category and neither do most of us here

mudbug
03-27-2011, 06:07 PM

In 2004 Harper saw that the Liberals were crippling Canada

He made a proposal, which ultimately brought the corrupt riddled Liberals to defeat and the days of Martin were over.

It was a proposal. The Liberals actually TRIED it. Thats the difference. And they failed because Harper shut down parliament. Why? Because he knew that this failed attempt by the Libs would be their undoing

And so it was. The Libs had to get rid of Dion, but there was no one capable in the party to take the leadership

No one knew him, and now that they do, they hate him. Yet the Libs still try to push him forward. He is out of his element and will fail, but the Libz will sacrifice Iggy, just like they did Dion, because when they arent in power and cant feed off Canadians, they feed off their own

Typical Liberal practice of comparing apples to oranges and thinking we Canadians are all inferior intellects.. I dont fit that category and neither do most of us here

Good post huntinstuff

huntinstuff
03-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Good post huntinstuff

Its the way they have operated since Jean C left

No one would have tried that with Jean because he would have gladly quit the Libs and sued Canada, took the settlement and retired, much like Mulroney (another millionaire lawyer from Montreal)

Martin challenged Chretien and "won", ......but did he? He got his ass handed to him and became a scapegoat for all the Lib garbage for the past 30yrs

The Libs arent even loyal to their own. That went out after Trudeau left. Tgats why the Libs fail, cant find leadership that lasts. No one wants the top job

And who can blame them.... Would anyone in their right mind, who has been part of that political climate within the Lib party, want the job?

Thus, you get Ignatieff. He will be the next Lib victim

He was better off in the US

huntinstuff
03-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Harper spooks the Libs because he actually works for Canadians. They think there is some "hidden agenda"

They arent used to someone who succeeds (like Canada being #1 in the G8) and coming out of a worldwide recession virtually unscathed. That wasnt luck. It was financial mgmt at its best

We have the resources to buy our way out of any difficulty, but Harper wouldnt sign the cheque because he knew we didnt have to show our hand

He gave Canadians a lesson in conservative mgmt. Basic, yet clever too

Its like getting an unexpected bill in the mail. Instead of immediately selling your rifle to pay for it, you just cut out coffee and going out for lunch for a month. Suddenly that money you saved is enough to pay that bill

Economics for Dummies

mooseknuckle
03-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Huntinstuff. Very good points. You should run, I'd vote for ya.

bessiedog
03-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Harper noticed that a political party in power for three plus terms = abusive autocrats? Boy. Big revelation there. Kindof like 'if it rains for three months we may get flood conditions' .
I respect alot of you guys here, but dont go telling me Harper has Such sagelike wisdom. He was all 'pro join Bush in Iraq', which was rediculous. He has spoken out against the Canada health act back in the day. He should stick to economics which is what hes good at. He would've gone coalition as well.

Like the rest... Do whatever to get ahead.

And im voting for him anyways...... Least smelly.

Huntinstuff... I'm reading your post like it's offhand complimenting Chetiene. Please dont do that. Thems fightin words.:argue2:

Lonnie
03-27-2011, 07:16 PM

this sounds like a union and a lobbyist group that could have some political clout.

rugatika
03-27-2011, 08:26 PM
Harper noticed that a political party in power for three plus terms = abusive autocrats? Boy. Big revelation there. Kindof like 'if it rains for three months we may get flood conditions' .
I respect alot of you guys here, but dont go telling me Harper has Such sagelike wisdom. He was all 'pro join Bush in Iraq', which was rediculous. He has spoken out against the Canada health act back in the day. He should stick to economics which is what hes good at. He would've gone coalition as well.

Like the rest... Do whatever to get ahead.

And im voting for him anyways...... Least smelly.

Huntinstuff... I'm reading your post like it's offhand complimenting Chetiene. Please dont do that. Thems fightin words.:argue2:

Canadians did help the USA in Iraq. It just wasn't advertised. And the Canada health act sucks...it's just become such a dogmatic belief in this country that speaking against it is like saying you eat babies or something...it gets the left frothing. Harper is good at economics....yes...and he is getting better and better at politics, which scares the left even more.

The main difference between the Conservatives and the Libs is that I actually believe the conservatives are there to do the best for Canada. The Libs were there to remain in power and line the pockets of as many of their friends as possible. Both parties may have read "The Prince" but one is applying it for the benefit of the state, while the other is applying it for the benefit of themselves.

I'm voting conservative because I am anxious to see what Harper will do with a majority government. To see if he will follow through with some of his more conservative ideas/ideals or if he will continue to be a centrist. (And I can't wait to see the left wailing if he does what I hope he does).

bessiedog
03-27-2011, 09:33 PM
cause if he screws it up... or we get more scandals... we can blame it squarely on him and his boys.... not blame the minority thingy.

I'm too lazy to google, but I'm bettin your chompin at the chance so I'll say....

Prove it Rug! Prove that Canada did help the US militarily. The only thing I've heard is one canadian on an exchange was ever directly involved.

also.... In contempt of Parliament.... thats gotta bother some of you! No? I can;t see the Speaker Ok ing that one. Doing unethical stuff B/c 'the other guy did it just dosen't sit well with me.

I agree with your economic assertions so far. You and I and others know for sure that social conservative policies are aging and fading just like the demographics that struggle to hold onto them.... which seems to be alot of us here.

Harper's environmental policies are reactionary at best.

but again.... Harpo is the least stinky.

I'm betting Flaherty would make a good PM.

oh... I wuz a big Martin Fan.... once you got the silver spoon out of his mouth. Boy did he get beat down by Cretien.

walton
03-27-2011, 11:35 PM
He gave Canadians a lesson in conservative mgmt. Basic, yet clever too

Its like getting an unexpected bill in the mail. Instead of immediately selling your rifle to pay for it, you just cut out coffee and going out for lunch for a month. Suddenly that money you saved is enough to pay that bill

Economics for Dummies

Or being handed a healthy surplus when you take office to help cushion the blow when the recession hits.

rugatika
03-27-2011, 11:45 PM
cause if he screws it up... or we get more scandals... we can blame it squarely on him and his boys.... not blame the minority thingy.

I'm too lazy to google, but I'm bettin your chompin at the chance so I'll say....

Prove it Rug! Prove that Canada did help the US militarily. The only thing I've heard is one canadian on an exchange was ever directly involved.

also.... In contempt of Parliament.... thats gotta bother some of you! No? I can;t see the Speaker Ok ing that one. Doing unethical stuff B/c 'the other guy did it just dosen't sit well with me.

I agree with your economic assertions so far. You and I and others know for sure that social conservative policies are aging and fading just like the demographics that struggle to hold onto them.... which seems to be alot of us here.

Harper's environmental policies are reactionary at best.

but again.... Harpo is the least stinky.

I'm betting Flaherty would make a good PM.

oh... I wuz a big Martin Fan.... once you got the silver spoon out of his mouth. Boy did he get beat down by Cretien.

http://coat.ncf.ca/P4C/65/38-43.pdf

And guess who is front and center whining about it...none other than ole Taliban Jack.

As to the contempt of parliament charge...it was brought about by a committee with a majority of opposition MPs who had pretty much decided before hand they would bring this charge against the tories. Dirty pool and abuse of power indeed. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/hearings-could-trigger-contempt-parliament-finding-against-harper-20110316-010008-741.html

huntinstuff
03-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Or being handed a healthy surplus when you take office to help cushion the blow when the recession hits.

Hehe.

Believe the left column did not match the right column when Harper took office. There was about 14 months of correction to be done, thanks to Martin, before any real look at recovery could be done

Having a minority govt is brutal when it comes to budget and economics because it almost always leads to a non confidence vote, which leads to either a coalition/unelected govt or a 300 million election

In this case, Libs went the "contempt" route for a nonconfidence vote

They should have did it on the budget. That is quick and clear.

But they are more interested in mud than substance

Personally i would fire whomever made that decision

As a conservative tho, i appreciate the screwup

As a Canadian, i am less impressed with the official opposition Libs as they were again thinking of themselves instead of Canadians (in chosing to go with a weak contempt reason for bringing down the govt instead of strongly opposing the budget and having a strong reason for bringing down the govt)

They were in campaign mode rather than thinking of Canadians. Power before duty. The way of the Libs

Which explains the "high fives" the conservatives gave each other during the non confidence vote. They knew the Libs would go with the weak "contempt" motion to bring down the govt rather than the budget......Much easier to campaign on that

Know your enemy.

Lefty-Canuck
03-28-2011, 08:58 AM
^^^^

Great post....

Lefty

Beerfish
03-28-2011, 09:16 AM

In 2004 Harper and the rest of Canada saw that the Liberals were crippling Canada

Nonsense, justifying what Harper had asked to do and what The Libs did is silly. By all means curse out the Libs and support the cons but this is hardly apples vs oranges. As far as playing politics is concerned the Conservatives are no different whatsoever than the Liberals have been, except they are perhaps smarter and more secretive about it.

Supporting one of these two parties because of their platforms is fine and dandy, trying to paint one with an 'evil' paint brush and one with a 'halo' is hardly good for anyone.

huntinstuff
03-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Nonsense, justifying what Harper had asked to do and what The Libs did is silly. By all means curse out the Libs and support the cons but this is hardly apples vs oranges. As far as playing politics is concerned the Conservatives are no different whatsoever than the Liberals have been, except they are perhaps smarter and more secretive about it.

Supporting one of these two parties because of their platforms is fine and dandy, trying to paint one with an 'evil' paint brush and one with a 'halo' is hardly good for anyone.

In this particular scenario, you can paint one as the devil and one as an angel for sure

Thinking about doing something, and actually doing it, are two vastly different things

That is what happened here.

On other terms, you are correct. The former conservatives have done things that made me roll my eyes.

I just found that I roll my eyes less when it comes to the Conservatives than I do with the Liberals, thus I am a Conservative supporter

As for the NDP, I rolled my eyes so much, people thought I had a neurological disorder.....

hornhead
03-28-2011, 10:31 AM
harper has to drop the coalition stuff... go to the polls with the conservative "economic" history. that's all people care about ... food on the table.

everone has heard coalition stuff and it may get people thinking of the conservative "scary" aggenda.

it is almost sounding like harper is expecting another minority government and that sounds like a loser hedging bets.

go for the gold ... think majority... that's the only way it'll happen.

CRAP... even Layton talks of forming a government ... and what are his chances!:thinking-006:
but that's the thinking Harper needs.

quit harping Harper!:)
and get to work!