PDA

View Full Version : The definition of 'baitfish'

bessiedog
03-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Ok... I,ve looked atne regs several times and im still a little curious.
baitfish...... Does the reg definition include fish parts?

Got anwarning from the fishcops a couple of years ago for using pieces if whitefish inCrowsnest lake.

I am still wonering if their definition of baitfish is correct?

Anyone want to clear it up?

lyons6
03-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Wow... your lucky u got a warning!

tacklerunner
03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
F&W is correct. "Baitfish" are fish that are of the freshwater variety like minnows, whitefish, perch etc. Non-Baitfish are herring, smelts, anchovies, sardines, and other fish that are found in salt water.

Best go to the grocery store and buy some fish that isn't local. They will work just as well.

hunter49
03-27-2011, 12:06 PM
In 30 seconds I found this...its in this wonderful book called the "fishing regulations"

"Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait."

I'll even translate that for you, depending on what exactly you were caught using you could be legal or you could be illegal.

Wow... your lucky u got a warning!

Please at least have a clue what your talking about before posting, otherwise you make yourself look stupid.

tacklerunner
03-27-2011, 12:15 PM
"Parts of Game Fish. Only the skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used as bait, provided these fish were lawfully caught by angling. Skin, fins, eyes and dead eggs of game fish may be used where the use of bait fish is prohibited, but cannot be used where bait bans are in effect. All game fish kept must be counted in the daily catch limit, including any fish from which parts are used for bait."

Thought I knew my regs pretty well but learned something. Thanks. Knew roe and eyes were ok but surpised at the fins and skin.

So when fishing for Halibut for example, we use the fins from a salmon belly because the stay on the hook really well but there is meat still attached (part of the belly). If he was using a whitefish pectoral fin with the attached bone, skin and meat around it, does that leave it open to interpretation as to whether it is legal or not? Could be a fine line, no?

bessiedog
03-27-2011, 12:39 PM
I was using the belly w/fins attached. Looked like 'fins and skins' to me.
They said no.
These guys are friends of mine so its a bit awkward to fight the interpretation..... But boy! If ever there was a section prone to interpretation.....

Anyone got a better interpretation?

lyons6
03-27-2011, 12:42 PM
. For Trout-Stocked Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds in ES1 that are
named on page 8 under “Alberta’s Fish Stocking Program.”
 Open all year – Trout limit 5; bait, except bait fish, allowed.

I am not sure but does this apply to crowsnest lake? Cause it is stocked and I have only ever used smelts and leeches there but I could be wrong. It would be nice to use whitefish and its not listed on pg 8 of the regs

tacklerunner
03-27-2011, 01:04 PM
A. For Trout-Stocked Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds in ES1 that are
named on page 8 under “Alberta’s Fish Stocking Program.”
 Open all year – Trout limit 5; bait, except bait fish, allowed.
 All other game fish species limit 0.

This does NOT apply as it is not listed as a stocked lake.

These are the regulations for Crownest lake and there is NO baitfish ban.

Crowsnest Lake – Open all year – Trout limit 5, but only
3 may be Lake Trout; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm.

Therefore, fins, skin, eyes and eggs of whitefish are LEGAL.

So the only real question:

Is a belly fin of a whitefish just that, a fin? Or is it a fin with other parts attached that are not considered part of the fin?

If you contact SRD by email, they will respond to you in writing. If the response is in your favour, print it off and carry with you and there is no way they could prosecute you if it comes straight from the source.

Kokanee9
03-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Lyons86 -

"Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body."

I found that on Pg. 22 of the 2011 regs.

Looks like Tacklerunner has it right again. If its not listed, I guess it wouldn't apply.

hunter49
03-27-2011, 01:08 PM
In my opinion, the whole reason behind the law is so you don't waste meat off the fish. Obviously if you had a fillet on a jig that would be illegal. I think as long as you use the "waste" as bait, you would be fine.