PDA

View Full Version : computer virus help?

npauls
03-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Hey Everyone,

I logged on to my computer today to find that I have a virus that keeps shutting off my virus scan program. It has also restarted my computer a few times and made my main screen background go from a picture of my son to straight blue.

Can anyone give me some suggestions as to how to deal with this and get rid of it?

Thanks,

Nate

gl2
03-27-2011, 02:38 PM
i cant tell you how to get rid of a virus but i can tell you some sites that have definatly given me some...........:sHa_shakeshout:

Jimboy
03-27-2011, 02:43 PM
You may not have a virus , mabe just a glench in the system , if your internet supplier is shaw , here the tech support # 403 750-6990 , 24/7 , tell them what your pc is doing and the operator there will help you step by step what to do to correct the problem , if its telus , they will do the same , dont have a # for telus tho.

geezer55
03-27-2011, 02:45 PM
One of my computers did the same thing, we were running AVG, took it in they couldn't explain why it would go to blue screen but they uninstalled AVG and installed AVIRA and the problem went away. All they could come up with was there was a conflict between AVG and my computer. Have had no problems running AVIRA.

npauls
03-27-2011, 02:52 PM
I know it is a virus because I have had it happen before with the pop ups from this damn MS Removal tool that keeps showing up. I have been able to fix it with my virus scan but now the scanner keeps getting shut down during the scanning process. I have tried just the normal scan of everything, just scanning the C drive, just the D drive, and also the same thing on quick scan and it shuts down every time.

I may just have to take it to a computer guy but I would rather fix it without having to do that if possible.

Nate

Gerry
03-27-2011, 03:37 PM
What version of windows are you using??
If it's Vista or windows 7 go to control panel and try running
windows defender.The program will check for harmful software.

Hope this helps.

backpacker
03-27-2011, 03:48 PM
If this is something new then just go to your control panel screen. In the left margin is "system restore". Open it and select restore my computer to an earlier time.
I got that "system tools" crap at xmas and thats what worked for me. Just go back 24 hrs.

npauls
03-27-2011, 04:02 PM
I ended up getting it fixed. I had to restart in safe mode and run my scanner there. It has cleaned it up to what it was before hand and I am now running the scanner again in normal user mode to make sure everything is cleaned up.

Thanks for all the help and I will remember your tips and tricks if something happens again.

Nate

gl2
03-27-2011, 04:10 PM
no problem nate, glad i could help buddy. :sHa_shakeshout:.

npauls
03-27-2011, 05:39 PM
Ya thanks Tosh,

You had better send me every one of those website you speak of so I can make sure to avoid them in the future. :thinking-006:

Dennis780
03-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Npauls,

Be sure to do a quick check over your system after the virus has been removed. The longer the virus is there, generally, the more files it infects/corrupts. Make sure Microsoft office (word, excel, powerpoint, etc), games, pictures you have saved, etc, all still work.

Virus removal programs do just that. Remove the virus. They do not repair any of the damage the virus caused. Expert viruses (meal worms) also corrupt control panel features, so make sure they still work also. You can do this easily by adjusting settings, volume controls, setting backup points, etc.

Your computer is like a car, when something goes wrong it usually causes other problems, because programs and system functions are interlinked.

If everything works, your in good shape. If not pm me.