PDA

View Full Version : Vote compass

outlaw'd
03-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Just took the poll. No surprise where I stood.

http://federal.votecompass.ca/

Redfrog
03-27-2011, 07:08 PM
I took the quiz and I have a few questions of my own.

Where are we going and what are we doing in this handbasket?

Who is Attilla the Hun. Apparently we went to school together.:)

Wrongside
03-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Where are we going and what are we doing in this handbasket?

Who is Attilla the Hun. Apparently we went to school together.:)

Haha!

Answered the questionnaire and landed just a little south of the blue rectangle... Shocking!!:)

rugatika
03-27-2011, 08:44 PM
well what do you know. I'm a conservative. Never would have guessed it. I guess Layton just lost my vote

Kanonfodder
03-27-2011, 09:40 PM
I think my compass is broken....:scared0018:

I am a LIBERAL :sign0161:

Lefty-Canuck
03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Closest to the "Cons" furtherest from the "Coms" (aka commies)

Lefty

6.5 shooter
03-27-2011, 10:01 PM
ummmm ... I am a Conservative who knew...LOL

sharrozap
03-27-2011, 10:06 PM
NDP, PQ, Green and Liberals are way back in the dust.

SonnyJ
03-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Haha!

Answered the questionnaire and landed just a little south of the blue rectangle... Shocking!!:)

I;m right behind you..:sHa_shakeshout:

gitrdun
03-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Owwie...I just cut myself and there's this blue stuff all over.....:sign0161:

eastcoast
03-27-2011, 10:23 PM
right where I thought economic right and social left,top right hand corner if you are wondering, by the way the graph is different than most I have taken in the past,I think harper is the best of the worst but my local mp gets on my nerves with his monthly mailout with leading questions:snapoutofit: I have gone so far as filling them all out and sending them back with "stop sending me more junk mail with my money" on all of them but I still get them,I guess they all do it or maybe the conservative ones do but it's annoying stop sending out mail and do the job you are getting paid to do:argue2:

Rockymtnx
03-28-2011, 12:10 AM
Glad to see a gun registry question in there.
Im sure most of your questions were answered the same as mine.

mtylerb
03-28-2011, 04:42 AM
Well whatdyahknow?

http://www.tbeckett.net/images/politicsmap.png

DarkAisling
03-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Wow.

I'm not surprised that I wind up closest to the Liberal party (that may change when I go through the "Recalculate your position" options) . . . but that I wind up more on the side of "Social Conservatism" . . . :confused:

I once heard it said that we are (socially) liberal in our youth and become more (socially) conservative as we age. I guess this means I'm getting old. To this day I view myself as incredibly socially liberal.

I'm so conflicted. I have no idea who I am any more.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_bKySdrQ8G1M/TZCWJBXog7I/AAAAAAAABzg/ZAonkmXDoZk/votecompass.gif

JohninAB
03-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Bottom right for me right by the blue CONs box.

HunterRed
03-28-2011, 09:24 AM
How is it that we end up with 4 of 5 parties in the same quadrant and then one that is completely opposite. Why is it that in order to believe in one thing you are left to take the rest of what one of these political parties wants. 2 of 4 quadrants are bare. That does not give Canadians very much choice in my opinion. I know that this is nothing more than a poll but could someone explain to me how we as the governing body of our electable government have let them pick where we get to stand. Looking for someone with a little more knowledge about this stuff. I came out southwest of the conservatives.

jaylow?
03-28-2011, 09:53 AM
i was surprised to see that i actually lean a little more to the left than i figured. i kind of sit in the middle of the road. weird. never would have thought. :lol:

blackpheasant
03-28-2011, 10:25 AM
I think my compass is broken....:scared0018:

I am a LIBERAL :sign0161:

I have come to know that all Oiler fans are Liberals...

TheClash
03-28-2011, 10:26 AM
In the lower right quadrant, no surprise.....would like to have seen the wild rose party factored into that as well.

yamaha 1
03-28-2011, 10:27 AM
ummmm ... I am a Conservative who knew...LOL

x2 I'm way out there conservative....would have never guessed.

greylynx
03-28-2011, 11:14 AM
How did I end up in the upper left hand corner?:angry3:

Shaggy
03-28-2011, 11:30 AM
i was surprised to see that i actually lean a little more to the left than i figured. i kind of sit in the middle of the road. weird. never would have thought. :lol:

I found myself in the same spot, and equally as surprised. I think I can chalk it up to being uninformed. Never have I sat down and studies each parties' views and beliefs in depth. Seems ike a big waste of my time when they flop, cheat and lie as often as they do.

skidderman
03-28-2011, 12:45 PM
No surprise here. Blue all the way! I want to keep my guns.

ccmckee
03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Just a little N.E of the blues!

Ryry4
03-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Bottom right corner for me as well. No big surprise there. :)

Loper
03-28-2011, 02:40 PM
I liked the comments section for the article. One guy says he answered "don't know" for every question and it said he is a liberal.

jaylow?
03-28-2011, 02:43 PM
I found myself in the same spot, and equally as surprised. I think I can chalk it up to being uninformed. Never have I sat down and studies each parties' views and beliefs in depth. Seems ike a big waste of my time when they flop, cheat and lie as often as they do.

i wouldnt call myself uninformed, i just dont agree with all the bs of any one party. im blue, but i find that i agree with some policys of the other partys. i just could never stomach to see a ndp or green party ever exist. :lol:

Redfrog
03-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Iggy, stopped on his way to the 'house' to visit with a little girl who had a box of kittens she was giving away. He asked her what kind of kittens they were and she replied they are Liberals.

Iggy puffed up his chest and the next day he showed up with the press. He explained to the little girl that his friends wanted to see the 'Liberal' kittens.
She said they aren't Liberals, they are Conservatives.

Iggy was flabbergasted [that's French for stunned], and asked why she had told him they were Liberals the day before.

She explained that yesterday he was correct, but today they opened their eyes.

Ryry4
03-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Iggy, stopped on his way to the 'house' to visit with a little girl who had a box of kittens she was giving away. He asked her what kind of kittens they were and she replied they are Liberals.

Iggy puffed up his chest and the next day he showed up with the press. He explained to the little girl that his friends wanted to see the 'Liberal' kittens.

Iggy was flabbergasted [that's French for stunned], and asked why she had told him they were Liberals the day before.

Love it. :sHa_shakeshout:

Spartan30-06
03-28-2011, 04:10 PM
I little NW of the CP no surprise there, problem is I hate the ***** h#$% running in my ridding. :angry3:

209x50
03-28-2011, 04:12 PM

Ha ha!
I'm due south of the PC a fair bit.

Mistagin
03-28-2011, 04:41 PM
no surprises here - I'm right smack in the middle of "C" territory!

Okotokian
03-28-2011, 05:17 PM
I can't get my results. Something about not finding my position, then it runs for about 20 minutes without providing an answer. I must be complicated...

I suspect a free-enterprise Roman Catholic who is pro-life but supportive of gay marriage, who is for a stronger military but doesn't want to send 14 year olds or pot smokers to adult prison, utterly confounds the creators of the program. Probably confounds a few of you too ;) lol

gitrdun
03-28-2011, 05:21 PM
Wow.

I'm not surprised that I wind up closest to the Liberal party (that may change when I go through the "Recalculate your position" options) . . . but that I wind up more on the side of "Social Conservatism" . . . :confused:

I once heard it said that we are (socially) liberal in our youth and become more (socially) conservative as we age. I guess this means I'm getting old. To this day I view myself as incredibly socially liberal.

I'm so conflicted. I have no idea who I am any more.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_bKySdrQ8G1M/TZCWJBXog7I/AAAAAAAABzg/ZAonkmXDoZk/votecompass.gif

You're a woman, it's normal. I understand my dog more.

Redfrog
03-28-2011, 05:25 PM
I understand you just fine Okie.

You want to send 14 yr old pot smoking gays to a roman Catholic prison to get married for life.

what's complicated about that.:) In fact it I think it has already been tried.:scared0018:

grinr
03-28-2011, 10:03 PM
After taking the poll last night and answering the Qs in an honest yet more so right leaning fashion,I was shocked and disturbed to have the results declare that I am closer to the Lieberals. :sick: I honestly think the whole damn poll is a Liberal conspiracy with the results skewed to sway the undecided to the left. :mad3: I became even more convinced of that this evening while watching the left wing CBC News do a story on the "compass",which I see as a sneaky campaign tactic by the Lieberal friendly media to encourage thousands if not millions of people to take the poll and vote to the left. :mad3:
I think there should be an investigation into just who exactly is behind this project aside from the blatantly left wing CBC,which I beleive is nothing short of a 21st century,high tech,underhanded form of election tampering,and when the results of the investigation are made public,Iggy should be exiled back to his beloved USA.

tbone616
03-29-2011, 08:08 AM
After taking the poll last night and answering the Qs in an honest yet more so right leaning fashion,I was shocked and disturbed to have the results declare that I am closer to the Lieberals. :sick: I honestly think the whole damn poll is a Liberal conspiracy with the results skewed to sway the undecided to the left. :mad3: I became even more convinced of that this evening while watching the left wing CBC News do a story on the "compass",which I see as a sneaky campaign tactic by the Lieberal friendly media to encourage thousands if not millions of people to take the poll and vote to the left. :mad3:
I think there should be an investigation into just who exactly is behind this project aside from the blatantly left wing CBC,which I beleive is nothing short of a 21st century,high tech,underhanded form of election tampering,and when the results of the investigation are made public,Iggy should be exiled back to his beloved USA.

I'm in the same boat, I'm not a hardcore Conservative but definatly a Conservative. Acording to this thing-a-majig I am a Liberal? Well despite what it says about me I still know how I'm voting!

DarkAisling
03-29-2011, 08:16 AM
After taking the poll last night and answering the Qs in an honest yet more so right leaning fashion,I was shocked and disturbed to have the results declare that I am closer to the Lieberals.

The Liberals (according to the Compass) are the closest to centre. With that being the case, someone who voted "I don't know" for every question, or someone who provided very balanced answers would have results returned that indicated they were "Liberal."

I think what is more telling is what quadrant you're result was in. Even if you were just in the SE quadrant you would be "Liberal" based on proximity, but certainly more Conservative with respect to your views.

That I wound up in the southern quadrants was absolutely shocking to me. I guess my views on young offenders (hang 'em!) and the gun registry was enough to shift my results out of the quadrant I expected to be in (the northwest).

I pleased that outlaw'd shared this with us. It has been a great tool for me, and I've spent a lot of time over the last 24-hours re-evaluating what I expect from the people who represent me.

Beerfish
03-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Some poorly worded questions in there.

Lonnie
03-29-2011, 09:21 AM
straight north of the blue on the middle line. no Idea of what that is supose to make me.

Okotokian
03-29-2011, 09:26 AM
After taking the poll last night and answering the Qs in an honest yet more so right leaning fashion,I was shocked and disturbed to have the results declare that I am closer to the Lieberals. :sick: I honestly think the whole damn poll is a Liberal conspiracy with the results skewed to sway the undecided to the left. :mad3: .

I dunno buddy, everyone else here is saying they came out a Conservative... Maybe you really ARE a Liberal and just haven't come out of the closet yet. ;)

Okotokian
03-29-2011, 09:32 AM
I think what is more telling is what quadrant you're result was in. Even if you were just in the SE quadrant you would be "Liberal" based on proximity, but certainly more Conservative with respect to your views.

Remember though, that there are two axis... in the totality of all parties and all Canadians the poll is saying that the Liberals are closer to the "Center" socially, but that the Conservatives are actually closer to the "Center" with regard to economics. I actually think that's about right. I've heard a lot of people say, even here, that they are conservative with regard to the economy and finance, but more liberal socially. These would be the people who have no problem with gay marriage or decriminalizing MJ, but who believe in free enterprise and low taxes. I suspect that's a pretty big group.

Spartan30-06
03-29-2011, 10:27 AM

That's hilarious, my wife is a hardcore Liberal and when she ran the compass it peged her as a true blue conservative, she then proceeded to rant about how it's a scam by the CP to get more votes and actually e-mailed the CBC to complain.. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

grinr
03-29-2011, 11:01 AM
I dunno buddy, everyone else here is saying they came out a Conservative... Maybe you really ARE a Liberal and just haven't come out of the closet yet. ;)

Well if that's the case I'm just gonna stay right here in my blue painted,no gays allowed gun closet and smoke some more weed.
:bad_boys_20:

Okotokian
03-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Well if that's the case I'm just gonna stay right here in my blue painted,no gays allowed gun closet and smoke some more weed.
:bad_boys_20:

LOL, see, it was the weed that bounced you to the red side of the graph. There are no pot smokers in the Conservative party. If there was, that would make them a, gasp, hypocrite! LOL

DarkAisling
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Remember though, that there are two axis... in the totality of all parties and all Canadians the poll is saying that the Liberals are closer to the "Center" socially, but that the Conservatives are actually closer to the "Center" with regard to economics.

Are you and I looking at the same diagram? Or, are you saying the diagram is incorrect?

eastcoast
03-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Remember though, that there are two axis... in the totality of all parties and all Canadians the poll is saying that the Liberals are closer to the "Center" socially, but that the Conservatives are actually closer to the "Center" with regard to economics. I actually think that's about right. I've heard a lot of people say, even here, that they are conservative with regard to the economy and finance, but more liberal socially. These would be the people who have no problem with gay marriage or decriminalizing MJ, but who believe in free enterprise and low taxes. I suspect that's a pretty big group.

that pretty much describes me to a t.

I am for gay marriage,I am for human rights,I am for abortion,I am somewhat pro union but I also believe in low taxes and free enterprise and personal freedom,I have just as much problem with both parties for seperate reasons, the liberals are bad economically but good socially, and the conservatives are the opposite I wish they would run a liberatarion candidate in my district cause that's who I would vote for.

whitetail Junkie
03-29-2011, 11:46 AM
????? It says that i'm closest to Liberal and Furthest away from the conservatives.

Long Live the Gun Registry!!!!!

Just Kidding,i'm voting Conservative:)

Sporty
03-29-2011, 12:51 PM
DarkAisling, I scored much the same as you but that website is hardly a basis for a person's total beliefs and standings. They cover some of the conservative platform but not all. I have many other conservative beliefs that wasn't touched on at all in that quiz.

chubbdarter
03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
True Blue thru and thru

Arent the Liberals broke....broke like penniless?
How do you run a country when you cant run a party?

Walleye Willy
03-29-2011, 01:08 PM
I too was in the lower right but a bit closer to the center line.
I found it interesting to see where the parties stand on each individual question. There is a distinct seperation from the Conservatives. I actually agreed with the BQ on a few of the questions.
Unfortunately, in my riding I may have to vote Independant.:sign0161:

Okotokian
03-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Are you and I looking at the same diagram? Or, are you saying the diagram is incorrect?

I'm looking at the one you posted. Ignore the bullseye. I'm talking about the two axis that creat the "crosshair". The conservative symbol is closer to the horizontal axis of the crosshair, which represents the economic center. The Liberals are closer to the vertical axis, which represents the social center.

Okotokian
03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
DarkAisling, I scored much the same as you but that website is hardly a basis for a person's total beliefs and standings. They cover some of the conservative platform but not all. I have many other conservative beliefs that wasn't touched on at all in that quiz.

That is very true. and even in some of the areas actually polled, a party may have a sympathetic leaning yet have no plans to actually change anything. For example. pro-life folks have naturally migrated to the Conservatives in Canada and the Republicans in the US for their supposed support of that position. Yet when either party has been fully in power they have not rolled back abortion laws. Lots of conservative supporters may not like gay marriage, but I can just about guarantee that a Harper majority government won't touch the issue. They will leave the status quo alone.

Steven Noel
03-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Don't hate.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab70/Steven_Noel/Untitled2.jpg

DarkAisling
03-29-2011, 02:56 PM
I'm looking at the one you posted. Ignore the bullseye. I'm talking about the two axis that creat the "crosshair". The conservative symbol is closer to the horizontal axis of the crosshair, which represents the economic center. The Liberals are closer to the vertical axis, which represents the social center.

I have not skewed this in any way (the units are metres, as measured in MicroStation, but that isn't of any consequence):

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_bKySdrQ8G1M/TZJFywUcOOI/AAAAAAAABz4/R7DVb6Ym5Us/s1024/for_okie.jpg

It sure looks to me that the Liberals are closer to centre on both axis than the Conservatives.

Have I completely lost my mind?

(Lord, I don't ask for very much. Please let it be that Okie has crummy spatial relations.)

fish_e_o
03-29-2011, 03:12 PM
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/550/politicalpref.jpg

CNP
03-29-2011, 04:04 PM
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/POLL.jpg

My party needs me lol...

What can I say. Military, 50ish, social programs make you weak, do the crime do the time.

eastcoast
03-29-2011, 04:22 PM
That is very true. and even in some of the areas actually polled, a party may have a sympathetic leaning yet have no plans to actually change anything. For example. pro-life folks have naturally migrated to the Conservatives in Canada and the Republicans in the US for their supposed support of that position. Yet when either party has been fully in power they have not rolled back abortion laws. Lots of conservative supporters may not like gay marriage, but I can just about guarantee that a Harper majority government won't touch the issue. They will leave the status quo alone.

that's very true if I knew harper was going to roll back abortion and gay marriage I would be out campaigning for the liberal candidate, harper like the right in the states just like to talk about them so he can raise money from them, they have no actual plans on reversing these things, and anybody who thinks they do is foolish.

chasingtail
03-29-2011, 04:56 PM
I took it, came out Conservative. I am more of a Libitarian though.

The whole Compass survey is slanted to come out Liberal for most people. Hey it is the CBC after all.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/CanadaVotes/2011/03/29/17798811.html

grinr
03-29-2011, 09:34 PM
The whole Compass survey is slanted to come out Liberal for most people. Hey it is the CBC after all.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/CanadaVotes/2011/03/29/17798811.html

BIG X2!!

I actually re-did the test,putting a bit more thought into some of the Qs,answering "I don't know" when I really didn't have an opinion instead of answering them so hastily like I did the other night when I was stoned :sign0068: and to my great releif,I AM indeed in the blue camp.Still though,I think it's skewed to lean towards the left and is a left wing media/Liberal conspiracy to gain votes....and NO I am NOT suffering from THC induced paranoia,lol.Now then,with that,I gotta go,the mounties are probly tracing my IP address as I type because I'm pretty sure they are out to get me.:scared0018:

Okotokian
03-30-2011, 09:52 AM
I have not skewed this in any way (the units are metres, as measured in MicroStation, but that isn't of any consequence):

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_bKySdrQ8G1M/TZJFywUcOOI/AAAAAAAABz4/R7DVb6Ym5Us/s1024/for_okie.jpg

It sure looks to me that the Liberals are closer to centre on both axis than the Conservatives.

Have I completely lost my mind?

(Lord, I don't ask for very much. Please let it be that Okie has crummy spatial relations.)

Yup, I screwed up. Didn't see the detail of your results. So you are socially conservative but economically more liberal! Weird... You want to increase taxes to pay for an invasive, very expensive government program to brainwash gays into becoming straight churchgoers. LOL

firegod74
03-30-2011, 09:58 AM
I wish they would have a spot where you could see a running tally of where people are. It would be much more honest that a poll sponsored or presented by a political party.

Okotokian
03-30-2011, 10:03 AM
I wish they would have a spot where you could see a running tally of where people are. It would be much more honest that a poll sponsored or presented by a political party.

I'm glad they don't. Any total would simply be misleading. It's a CBC sponsored poll. I don't think I'm wrong when I say that CBC listeners are probably a little more to the left compared to the sum total of the Canadian population. Some on the right won't listen out of principle, so I would expect the results to not be representative of the general population.