PDA

View Full Version : Geography

7mm08
03-27-2011, 06:34 PM
A previous thread got me thinking..."are Canadians really that ignorant of the geography of our country?" I mean, I hear many ignorant people stating "anything east of Manitoba is Newfoundland", or "oh...you are from east of New Brunswick...you must be Newfie". I know many proud Newfoundlanders who are offended by this...but so am I. Am I less of a Maritimer because I am from Nova Scotia, and prefer to be seen as this instead of "just another "Newfie", because I was born east of Ontario? Check a map. Or, better yet, remember grade 3 geography. Maritimers are not classified as "just newfie". Dont segregate a fine province like Newfoundland by lumping in 3 provinces as well. A Newfoundlander is from Newfoundland, a bluenoser is from Nova Scotia. Get it straight. Please.

Redfrog
03-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Patience Grasshopper. If the liberals get in after this election you can have all the real estate in the 'east.":)

I lived in B. C. for years. Do you know how many times I was asked where Victoria island was? The problem stems from the lousy Liberal school programs.:sHa_shakeshout:

hal53
03-27-2011, 06:50 PM
No different than the people from there, thinking that anybody that lives west of the Ont./Man. border is a savage with a gun in each hand that is not to be trusted....except for the monthly cheques heading their direction....

Bushrat
03-27-2011, 07:08 PM
A previous thread got me thinking..."are Canadians really that ignorant of the geography of our country?" I mean, I hear many ignorant people stating "anything east of Manitoba is Newfoundland", or "oh...you are from east of New Brunswick...you must be Newfie". I know many proud Newfoundlanders who are offended by this...but so am I. Am I less of a Maritimer because I am from Nova Scotia, and prefer to be seen as this instead of "just another "Newfie", because I was born east of Ontario? Check a map. Or, better yet, remember grade 3 geography. Maritimers are not classified as "just newfie". Dont segregate a fine province like Newfoundland by lumping in 3 provinces as well. A Newfoundlander is from Newfoundland, a bluenoser is from Nova Scotia. Get it straight. Please.

Got nothing to do with geography, it has to do with the sensitivity or with the inferiority complex many easterners seem to have. They get bugged just to see the reaction. If some didn't get so upset about a little teasing folks wouldn't bait them. So many swallow the bait everytime, just like jiggin cod, they swallow hard. When westerners hear that accent of maritimers, well ya gotta admit it sounds a bit goofy, kinda like a northern Ozark hillbilly mixed with a little Gaelic. I'm from the maritimes, I don't have an accent so they assume I'm from here. Many herring chokers, bluenosers and potato heads don't have the accent as bad as newfies, they think they talk/sound normal, but 95% do have a definate heavy accent that does get confused with the newfie accent so they get called newfies anyway, sets them right off, worse than it sets off the newfies.

At least most true newfies have a sense of humour about it.

7mm08
03-27-2011, 07:14 PM
Well, I moved here 14 years ago from NS. I have no accent anymore, so its a non issue. But, on the same token, call someone from Alberta, Sask, or BC Separatist or Torontonian because they live west of Quebec and see what wasp nest you riled. Its the same demographic rules, just moving the opposite way. Think about it.
Not over sensitive, or even offended. I apologize if my original post came off that way. I just like to put the shoe on the other foot in some cases to see who prefers barefoot. :)

7mm08
03-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Got nothing to do with geography, it has to do with the sensitivity or with the inferiority complex many easterners seem to have.

I have no inferiority complex my friend. In fact, I am as much as a westerner as you. This is my home. The place I work. And the place I will die. I am an Albertan. Am I proud to call myself so?. Hell Yes! But, a sense of pride is also instilled in me as to where me roots are. They are not in ontario, or nfld...or "east of ontario.
Walk in my shoes for a min please, and I will walk in yours. At the end, lets sit and complain about the weather.
lol. sorry, almost Zen like there.

Bushrat
03-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Walk in my shoes for a min please, and I will walk in yours. At the end, lets sit and complain about the weather.
lol. sorry, almost Zen like there.

I have for 30 some years. I plan on retiring back in NB cause real estate is dirt cheap there. Just got a job offer there, so maybe sooner.

dumoulin
03-27-2011, 09:02 PM
I remember when we moved to Alberta in 1980 from Quebec. M<y father was looking for work and had ten kids to feed. I was eight years old. My father told me stories of wagon wheel snakes and the terrific sunsets. When we moved to Fort-Kent, I though we would come to a fort with real wooden towers and a draw bridge, shoot idians and wrestle grizzly bears! Was I wrong!

We were not greated very warmly. At the time I though it was becasue we were French. I realize now that i was about a policial impass--perequation, Trudeau and seperatism. I got my face smashed in anyhow by a bunch of kids in the park. It was a steep learning curve, but picked up the lingo and lost the accent.

Recently, I learned that my great grand father Samuel (whom I am name after) traded horses in the Lacombe area in the 1890's where I now reside. Curriously, we named our only son after him without even knowing about the connection.

I have a buddy from Croatia. He and his mother and sister escape during the war in the 1990s. He told me that damn immigrants should not bring there problems here...I smiled because I considered him to be a FOB (Freash Off the Boat); but then I realized that my family were FOBs at one point, and that I was too in 1980.

This just goes to prove that it's not where you're from. We all have some sort of connection in this vast country of opportunity. There should be turf wars or name calling even if it's for giggles. Some take it to heart.

Cattle Dog
03-27-2011, 09:53 PM
I have often wondered about that "say la vie" how to speak french program that has been on the liberal/ndp CBC radio for years:

I wonder if they have a similar CBC program for quebec on "how to speak english" ?

dumoulin
03-28-2011, 09:56 AM
I have often wondered about that "say la vie" how to speak french program that has been on the liberal/ndp CBC radio for years:

I wonder if they have a similar CBC program for quebec on "how to speak english" ?

They do/did on SRC (the CBC in French). I just don't remember what it was called..

honda450
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
Ya mean Newfoundland is on this side of the big pond? Who would of known.

Okotokian
03-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Ah, quit yer griping. LOL I live in a province known across Canada only as "the piggy-bank"

honda450
03-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Hey when I lived in BC we called everybody a easterner. Now I don't cross the border, cept for work. hehe

firegod74
03-28-2011, 11:59 AM
I call everything east of Manitoba Newfoundland because I hate to think of Ontario and Quebec. So I just skip them