PDA

View Full Version : Ah! Spring at last!

Redfrog
03-27-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm kidding.:)

I know we're sick of winter and spring will come eventually, but what then?

I started another thread about how much food we import.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=87081

A lot of us on this board hunt and so we have a supplement to our domestic meat supply. I also know some who hunt and the family says eeeeuuuwwww I'm not eating that. Being an outdoorsmen usually means a degree of self sufficiency.
So how many have gardens? big or small? Do you pack away produce for the winter? Canning, Freezing, cold storage? Do you try to grow anything through the winter? Herbs in a window box?

Is self sufficiency just a dead concept.

Some Katrina victims on TV were beat by the second day and looking for the gov't to save them. I saw the looting where people were stealing appliances. not food. Wassup with that?

If the snow ever leaves it will be good to get back into the garden. :):)

rhuntley12
03-28-2011, 07:10 AM
I'm kidding.:)

I know we're sick of winter and spring will come eventually, but what then?

I started another thread about how much food we import.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=87081

A lot of us on this board hunt and so we have a supplement to our domestic meat supply. I also know some who hunt and the family says eeeeuuuwwww I'm not eating that. Being an outdoorsmen usually means a degree of self sufficiency.
So how many have gardens? big or small? Do you pack away produce for the winter? Canning, Freezing, cold storage? Do you try to grow anything through the winter? Herbs in a window box?

Is self sufficiency just a dead concept.

Some Katrina victims on TV were beat by the second day and looking for the gov't to save them. I saw the looting where people were stealing appliances. not food. Wassup with that?

If the snow ever leaves it will be good to get back into the garden. :):)

Last year had my first attempt at a garden. Was ok, did get some taters, tons of radishes, lots of herbs, a watermelon, and few other things. Planning on doing a lot better this year as I learned quite a bit.

Ended up with a barn on the old garden area so have a big area on the other side going to tear up soon as the snow leaves. Going to have to figure out a way to store everything this year as with just 2 of us can't eat it all fast enough.

It is very satisfying cutting up and eating something you just grew.

209x50
03-28-2011, 07:39 AM
Red you sound like my wife! I'm told that even if the deer eat the garden she'll just plant a bigger one and I've been informed that I'm building a chicken coop. Wonder how the GSPs will deal with that?

Redfrog
03-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Red you sound like my wife! I'm told that even if the deer eat the garden she'll just plant a bigger one and I've been informed that I'm building a chicken coop. Wonder how the GSPs will deal with that?

I don't know about the GSPs but I can tell you a German Shepherd does not understand English when you say leave those chickens alone!!!!!

I have some out buildings on this home quarter that we bought bout 5 years ago. I decided to get some chicks and raise some real chickens with white and dark meat instead of light grey and dark grey. I had a large fenced area and it was a good setup. I let them out during the day and locked them in at night.
My dogs are in a kennel unless someone is in the yard with them. The dogs ignored the chickens until they were about 5 lbs. My shepherd got in the pen under the wire and proceeded to kill chickens. I was yelling 'Nein, Nein" but she killed eleven.:argue2:

Kind of ironic that I killed the survivors a few weeks later. They turned out perfect.:) some were 10 lb roasters.

buckshoot
03-28-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't plant a garden anymore, this working in the oilpatch seems like things aren't quite ready when I'm home. Get home and they are rotten

Do buy at the farmers market and can and freeze lots even deer.

grew up with mom canning more than a years worth evey year, she kept 2 full size deep freezes full and at one point had over 500 quarts of preserves

209x50
03-28-2011, 09:43 AM
I don't know about the GSPs but I can tell you a German Shepherd does not understand English when you say leave those chickens alone!!!!!

I have some out buildings on this home quarter that we bought bout 5 years ago. I decided to get some chicks and raise some real chickens with white and dark meat instead of light grey and dark grey. I had a large fenced area and it was a good setup. I let them out during the day and locked them in at night.
My dogs are in a kennel unless someone is in the yard with them. The dogs ignored the chickens until they were about 5 lbs. My shepherd got in the pen under the wire and proceeded to kill chickens. I was yelling 'Nein, Nein" but she killed eleven.:argue2:

Kind of ironic that I killed the survivors a few weeks later. They turned out perfect.:) some were 10 lb roasters.
LOL! Love your humor!

FCLightning
03-28-2011, 09:48 AM
2 ft. high plywood around the chicken coop works well for the dogs as well as other predators - coyotes, coons, skunks, fox.

hornhead
03-28-2011, 10:47 AM
the best gardening book i know of is "Square Foot Garden".

he maintains a family of 4 can be kept in veggies with a 12'x12' garden if it's laid out properly.

it works.

i intend to get 4 of those 1/2 barrells that people use for flowers. that should do me for gardening, plus it'll keep critters out of the garden.