PDA

View Full Version : Thought provoking

FishingMOM
03-28-2011, 06:55 AM
Thought Provoking video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdcOOn-4c5w

Grizzly Adams
03-28-2011, 08:14 AM
RIGHT. Get rid of the evil Capitalists and all our problems will be solved.:lol: Give me a break. Hardly thought provoking and if you buy into that, take a trip to Cuba. But, be sure to take your own toilet paper, cause the non capitalist system hasn't been able to provide it.:lol:

Grizz

Redfrog
03-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Demand clean fuel and clean food and we'll get it!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!
Uh Where are we gonna get it from? Oh yeah the evil corporations that your neighbor works for.:thinking-006:

rugatika
03-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Fishing mom...will you pledge to never buy another single thing from an evil corporation? Lets stop their plundering of mother earth.

I almost puked. I couldn't listen to the whole thing. Same old, same old. No offence FishingMom...as I'm sure you mean well...but these tired old hippies are spewing the same crap, the original hippies did in the 60's. They are small minded, jealous, little people.

If you want something thought provoking try reading de Toqueville "But one also finds in the human heart a depraved taste for equality, which impels the weak to want to bring the strong down to their level, and which reduces men to preferring equality in servitude to inequality in freedom" or Hayek http://www.quebecoislibre.org/04/040915-13.htm and many others. Not sure if they are on youtube or not though. How about some Milton Friedman?? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzOc-1DVFzc ... part 1 of 5 with John Stossel on Friedman...watch them all with your kids.

Just found this and had to add it as well...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggTnkR0lwhg&feature=related

Beerfish
03-28-2011, 09:21 AM
I almost puked. I couldn't listen to the whole thing. Same old, same old. No offence FishingMom...as I'm sure you mean well...but these tired old hippies are spewing the same crap, the original hippies did in the 60's. They are small minded, jealous, little people.

And an extremely important faction to have in our society. I would say with a fair bit of confidence that our society would be much poorer overall if we didn;t have factions that take the establishment to task. Even though we all know these factions go over the top they actually do get people thinking about issues. Our society has progressed a lot over the last 30 or so years in the way of recycling and energy efficiency and a fair bit of credit has to go to the 'mouthy, I won't shut up' groups.

Do we like them beaking in our ears all the time? No, is it good to have champions of certain causes? Yes.

Redfrog
03-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Beerfish, The recycling thing was in practice in our home long before the first hippie took a toke. It just made good sense.

209x50
03-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Beerfish, The recycling thing was in practice in our home long before the first hippie took a toke. It just made good sense.
Yep. Good ideas or cost savings ones are always winners and don't require a lot of drum beating for support.

FishingMOM
03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Letting you guys argue this one out.
I never said which side of the arguement I was on.
Just pointing out there are some in Canada who believe all this.
Hence the reason I said it was thought provoking.

Beerfish
03-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Then your home is way ahead of its time. Certainly not the case here in Edmonton. There are certain practices that only become feasible when customers or people make it know that it is important to them. The environment hasn't become the issue it is over the past years just out of the goodness of peoples hearts and their conscience.

People would call a forum like this a radical pro gun pro hunting forum and as you know we feel that it is important to raise issues that are important to us.

Beerfish
03-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Yep. Good ideas or cost savings ones are always winners and don't require a lot of drum beating for support.

They only become a good idea and have cost savings once actions are demanded of the govt and the private sector by the public and stake holders. It didn't suddenly become cost effective to change certain practices, in many cases that only came about as a result of a change of culture, and like them or hate them there always has to be a bit of a far out or radical element to take the charge.

New Hunter Okotoks
03-28-2011, 01:01 PM
That video reminded me of the one that was shown to Derek Zoolander. I figured I had better stop watching it before I was brainwashed into killing the Malaysian Prime Minister.

Relax,don't do it,when you want to go to it.................

I can't get that song out of my head!!!!!!!!

Redfrog
03-28-2011, 03:31 PM
Beerfish, I grew up in a home that recycled everything we could. It wasn't a big social statement, we just couldn't afford not to recycle. We took a brown bag lunch to school and reused the bag until it was unusable. Composting and gardening went hand in hand, If a rabbit came into the garden looking for dinner, he was dinner.:) Two kids and parents in an 900 square foot house. We had one car but walked or bused a lot. Home made wine and neighbors on a Friday or Sat night, with guitars etc.

It was a far simpler time. Murderers were hanged and rapists likely never got out of jail.:) I never saw a homeless person or a drug deal.

BTW I lived in the city across the border from Detroit.

horsetrader
03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Beerfish, I grew up in a home that recycled everything we could. It wasn't a big social statement, we just couldn't afford not to recycle. We took a brown bag lunch to school and reused the bag until it was unusable. Composting and gardening went hand in hand, If a rabbit came into the garden looking for dinner, he was dinner.:) Two kids and parents in an 900 square foot house. We had one car but walked or bused a lot. Home made wine and neighbors on a Friday or Sat night, with guitars etc.

It was a far simpler time. Murderers were hanged and rapists likely never got out of jail.:) I never saw a homeless person or a drug deal.

I hear ya redfrog you missed the recycling of clothes they were handed down till they had no place to go then they got torn up and made in to braided rugs
back then it just was not called recycling it was a way of life. And we had no buses we just walked ...lol..

BTW I lived across the border from buffalo...

FishingMOM
03-28-2011, 07:14 PM

Funny thing is Redfrog many in that city still do all that cause they are too darn broke and no jobs in sight.
But you were right everyone had great gardens. Lots of wonderful veggies.

Grizzly Adams
03-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Letting you guys argue this one out.
I never said which side of the arguement I was on.
Just pointing out there are some in Canada who believe all this.
Hence the reason I said it was thought provoking.

We call them the NDP. :lol: and present Liberal policies are so close, that the party has it's moderate base.

Grizz

Redfrog
03-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Horsetrader, I didn't miss it, I just needed you to remind me.:love0025:

I was the oldest so didn't get a lot of hand me down clothes, but I sure got mileage out of mine. Those braided rugs were just about nuclear attack proof.
they were tough. Haven't seen one for a looooong time.