PDA

View Full Version : Ok you golfers....

TheClash
03-28-2011, 11:24 AM
well my weimaraner jet decided that a graphite shaft looked like an excellent chew toy...all of last season I did not have my driver to play with because of this. So it is time to get it re-shafted. I am not great golfer by any means, but i do have some good power. It is not uncommon for me to be around the 285 range on my drives. I have two problems though....my drives seem to lose a lot of velocity and length because of their trajectory. They start to balloon and get quite high. I am now hitting an 8.5 degree driver...but would like to find a shaft that would give me a more penetrating trajectory....along with this I have a tendency to tail my drives off..ether left or right...not really hooking or slicing them...just tailing off at the end of my drives. I am not sure if this is partially due to the height issue....but I am sure much of it has to do with my swing path etc. However, I would happily give up a bit of yardage for a shaft that will help me keep it down the center.

So, any suggestion on a shaft? i have read good reports on the UST proforce stuff..anyone using it?

thanks all...pray for sunshine.

mikeo2
03-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Im by no means a golf pro, but I think part of your issue is the degree of loft of your driver. Unless you're a touring pro or single handicapper you should be using a higher degree loft, at least a 9.5. Here is a good link about loft and shaft recomendations you might find helpful, just scroll down past the driver reviews. http://www.golf-equipment-advisor.com/Golf-Driver-Reviews.html

firegod74
03-28-2011, 12:05 PM
I am no pro either, but if you are hitting air balls with a 8.5, I wonder if the head is whipping through too early. I would try a slower forward swing and accelerate through the bottom. Or go to a stiffer shaft with less flex. If you go to a ping dealer the will evaluate yoour swing and recommend the shaft for you. Doesn't mean you have to buy from them.

linemanpete
03-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Stiffer shaft, lots of manufacturers use steel tipped graphite shafts on their new drivers. Loft sounds right, get the right shaft.

birchy
03-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Haven't golfed for a few years myself.. but when I was golfing, the Aldila NVS shafts were really sweet. Aldila NVS 85 is what keeps popping into my head.. not 100% sure on the number.. but it was a green shaft for sure. Not the yellow or orange ones.

TheClash
03-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Im by no means a golf pro, but I think part of your issue is the degree of loft of your driver. Unless you're a touring pro or single handicapper you should be using a higher degree loft, at least a 9.5. Here is a good link about loft and shaft recomendations you might find helpful, just scroll down past the driver reviews. http://www.golf-equipment-advisor.com/Golf-Driver-Reviews.html

a 9.5 is going to give me more lift, believe me I have been there....lol

I currently use a stiff shaft already, Guess I'll just have to mess around with kick points.

Okotokian
03-28-2011, 01:24 PM
along with this I have a tendency to tail my drives off..ether left or right...not really hooking or slicing them...just tailing off at the end of my drives..

So you can hit a fade and a draw.... a useful skill! You just don't know how you are doing it. It's probably your stance/set-up. Take some lessons.
http://www.golfe.de/english/technique/tipp7/tipp7.html

iliketrout
03-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Maybe you've already tried this, but try putting the ball back in your stance a little and tee it down some. If your ball is too far forward in your stance you'll catch it as the head is rising for your follow through. Takes a little fine tuning at the range, but you'll dial it in.

I agree with going with a stiff flex shaft too, if you are getting 285 yds your club head speed is almost certainly high enough to justify the stiff shaft. If you don't like graphite there is stiff flex steel too. I hated graphite shafts until I bought my new Nike driver with the stiff flex graphite. That club has added at least 20 yards to my drives, and I'm a lot more accurate as well.

Going to a store like Golf Town or similar and hitting a few drivers on their simulator will tell you a lot too.

hal53
03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
X2 on the stiff or extra stiff shaft...go to a pro and get your club head swing measured....they will let you know....that is also where your fades right and left coming from....regular shaft and inconsistent club head speed...swing path... I now use a 6.5 degree driver w/ Xtra stiff shaft....works for me....but very likely not many others...
H.

Okotokian
03-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Maybe you've already tried this, but try putting the ball back in your stance a little and tee it down some. If your ball is too far forward in your stance you'll catch it as the head is rising for your follow through. Takes a little fine tuning at the range, but you'll dial it in.

I was thinking that too. Perhaps over-compensating for the low-elevation angle.

TheClash
03-28-2011, 01:40 PM
X2 on the stiff or extra stiff shaft...go to a pro and get your club head swing measured....they will let you know....that is also where your fades right and left coming from....regular shaft and inconsistent club head speed...swing path... I now use a 6.5 degree driver w/ Xtra stiff shaft....works for me....but very likely not many others...
H.

wow 6.5 that is amazing...like a line drive coming off the tee!! lol..

I have considered the xtra stiff shafter..but when measured my club head speed isn't incredibly fast, but i have a ton of torque as I swing through hard with my hips (years of baseball ingrained that motion into my body)..Not sure if I want to head to a xtra stiff but maybe I will try it out.

Just seems to me that I keep my ball aloft for so long that it's power starts to dissipate and the spin slows down and it the ball is then more likely to tail off on either side. which can take a beautiful drive and put it 5-10 yards off the fairway...and on our southern alberta courses that can be a nightmare. Hoping to change my kick point and put the ball on the ground for some roll rather than holding it in the air for so long.

Only one hole I play down here often that I need my driver to land soft with little to no roll.

hal53
03-28-2011, 01:46 PM
wow 6.5 that is amazing...like a line drive coming off the tee!! lol..

I have considered the xtra stiff shafter..but when measured my club head speed isn't incredibly fast, but i have a ton of torque as I swing through hard with my hips (years of baseball ingrained that motion into my body)..Not sure if I want to head to a xtra stiff but maybe I will try it out.

Just seems to me that I keep my ball aloft for so long that it's power starts to dissipate and the spin slows down and it the ball is then more likely to tail off on either side. which can take a beautiful drive and put it 5-10 yards off the fairway...and on our southern alberta courses that can be a nightmare. Hoping to change my kick point and put the ball on the ground for some roll rather than holding it in the air for so long.

Only one hole I play down here often that I need my driver to land soft with little to no roll.
If you have the baseball swing....stay away from the stiff shafts!!!!....as explaines in an earlier post.....set the ball a touch firther back in your stance and get a shaft with the lowest possible kick point..and if it's only one hole, use your 3 and practice with your long irons:)
H.

TheClash
03-28-2011, 01:53 PM
If you have the baseball swing....stay away from the stiff shafts!!!!....as explaines in an earlier post.....set the ball a touch firther back in your stance and get a shaft with the lowest possible kick point..and if it's only one hole, use your 3 and practice with your long irons:)
H.

no I meant there is only one hole i need to land my drive soft. lol..all the rest I can deal with some role. But one hole I regularly drive the green needs to be a soft landing.

Love my 3 iron, hit it often as well.

I have played with a regular shaft and it does not work for me. Much more comfortable and consistent with a stiff. Will have to try the ball further back and see if connecting on the downward arc makes a difference. Right now I usually line it up just back of my front foot big toe.

hal53
03-28-2011, 01:59 PM
no I meant there is only one hole i need to land my drive soft. lol..all the rest I can deal with some role. But one hole I regularly drive the green needs to be a soft landing.

Love my 3 iron, hit it often as well.

I have played with a regular shaft and it does not work for me. Much more comfortable and consistent with a stiff. Will have to try the ball further back and see if connecting on the downward arc makes a difference. Right now I usually line it up just back of my front foot big toe.
hmmm... maybe try it just a touch further back....lined up with the heel of your lead foot (LH or RH???)...if you're hitting a 3 iron well....this will likely do the trick......however a driver will not land a ball softly on the green....no loft = very little spin....I played in Cuba on a hole like that with similar problems....2nd time I used 2 -8 irons to get there...it worked!!......for once....sigh....LOL!!!

TheClash
03-28-2011, 02:03 PM
hmmm... maybe try it just a touch further back....lined up with the heel of your lead foot (LH or RH???)...if you're hitting a 3 iron well....this will likely do the trick......however a driver will not land a ball softly on the green....no loft = very little spin....I played in Cuba on a hole like that with similar problems....2nd time I used 2 -8 irons to get there...it worked!!......for once....sigh....LOL!!!

I'll have to give it a try. Thanks

iliketrout
03-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Right now I usually line it up just back of my front foot big toe.

Front foot big toe might be a touch far forward...depending on the flare of your foot in your stance. I like the heel. But then again, I like a 10 degree loft. I find with my swing speed, shaft stiffness, position of the ball, and my individual swing, that I like a bit of loft on the drive. I like to lift it high and let it carry, and with this setup I found I reduced the backspin, so the "flaring" and "popping up" reduced and the loft just added distance. It works for me but it might not be for everyone.

vettedreamer
03-28-2011, 03:37 PM
H.

There's a swedgewich golfer hitting 6.5 degrees come on now :bad_boys_20:

Ken07AOVette
03-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Did you take the dog to the vet yet? Graphite slivers can shred his insides.

TheClash
03-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Did you take the dog to the vet yet? Graphite slivers can shred his insides.

yup, it was last spring...had him all checked out and cleared. I was one scared puppy owner for sure

hal53
03-28-2011, 04:36 PM
There's a swedgewich golfer hitting 6.5 degrees come on now :bad_boys_20:
????...HUH???...for the 2 times a year that I "might" play there...the driver stays in the bag......

7 REM MAG
03-28-2011, 05:50 PM
the labelled shaft flex on most clubs is junk, ive seen "stiff" shafts that really had a soft regular or firm junior, go to a club fitter in your area and get them to tinker with your setup, this will give you the best results you can hope for, the shaft will be dialed in as well as club face angle at address, most factory clubs other than the new taylermades come at a 0 degree setup, due to peoples golf stances being alot like the way someone shoots, what setup works for one person wont work for you. they will either open or close the club face so the you are set up to hit the ball properly, and remember just because something is from a big name company doesnt mean its the best. find whats right for you and you will be happy. golf clubs are like guns, they just gotta fit

vinny
03-28-2011, 06:24 PM
I have done lots of clubfitting in the past, and the best advise is to see your RCGA pro, and have him fit you properly. This includes grip size. You would be surprised how much a grip that is too fat/skinny can alter the flight path of your ball. You may need a shaft that is the same flex you are using but with less torque or a different weight or kick point. Don't commit until you are satisfied with the results, although it may be hard to try different shafts if you have to special order. See if anyone else has a club with the shaft you are interested in, and see if you can try it out. Remember, "you get what you pay for."

vinny
03-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Oh, and I assume the hole you need to land it soft on is number 8?

hal53
03-28-2011, 06:37 PM
the labelled shaft flex on most clubs is junk, ive seen "stiff" shafts that really had a soft regular or firm junior, go to a club fitter in your area and get them to tinker with your setup, this will give you the best results you can hope for, the shaft will be dialed in as well as club face angle at address, most factory clubs other than the new taylermades come at a 0 degree setup, due to peoples golf stances being alot like the way someone shoots, what setup works for one person wont work for you. they will either open or close the club face so the you are set up to hit the ball properly, and remember just because something is from a big name company doesnt mean its the best. find whats right for you and you will be happy. golf clubs are like guns, they just gotta fit
very, very good advice...you will have a hard time believing the difference it makes....

Nait Hadya
03-28-2011, 09:02 PM
where are you making contact with the ball,on the club face? off center contact will create those fades and draws,quite desirable when you intend to hit them. have you had your launch angle and spin rate checked? a high launch angle might cause some over spin that may cause the ballooning. no pro,just a guess.

TheClash
03-29-2011, 08:32 AM
Oh, and I assume the hole you need to land it soft on is number 8?

lol, yes it is!!

TheClash
03-29-2011, 08:32 AM
I have done lots of clubfitting in the past, and the best advise is to see your RCGA pro, and have him fit you properly. This includes grip size. You would be surprised how much a grip that is too fat/skinny can alter the flight path of your ball. You may need a shaft that is the same flex you are using but with less torque or a different weight or kick point. Don't commit until you are satisfied with the results, although it may be hard to try different shafts if you have to special order. See if anyone else has a club with the shaft you are interested in, and see if you can try it out. Remember, "you get what you pay for."

Vinny do you have a recommendation on who I should go see?

Winch101
03-29-2011, 08:41 AM
Vinny is right on....I spent 30 plus years selling equipment to the pros ....

Paul Lowe at Henderson Lakes is good in Lethbridge ....

If you are going by Okotoks on Hway 2 , you can come and see us at Rivers edge ( when the range opens )we have a full selection and are competitive with Golf Town ...the head pro has been in the bussiness for 30 years as well .
Could be a simple swing change and not equipment ....I always ask is it the arrow or is it the Indian... W101

TheClash
03-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Vinny is right on....I spent 30 plus years selling equipment to the pros ....

Paul Lowe at Henderson Lakes is good in Lethbridge ....

If you are going by Okotoks on Hway 2 , you can come and see us at Rivers edge ( when the range opens )we have a full selection and are competitive with Golf Town ...the head pro has been in the bussiness for 30 years as well .
Could be a simple swing change and not equipment ....I always ask is it the arrow or is it the Indian... W101

hey winch I agree...swing or the swinger..and usually, for me it is a mix of both. However..I had a driver for a few years that I loved and could boom it right down the line...it got stolen and it is no longer made. So I purchased the Taylor made and it never really felt the same, but I only got 8 or 9 rounds in with it before Jet decided it would make a great chew toy. lol. I'll have to hit up some club makers and see what I can find out. How much extra does that tack on to the cost of a new shaft/grip to have a fitting done?

Ken07AOVette
03-29-2011, 09:27 AM
I had the same problem, always skyball with the Kasco driver, and then tried out a Ping G10 8.5. VERY forgiving and controllable, no more skyballs, and loooong.

Have you tried one?

TheClash
03-29-2011, 09:33 AM
I had the same problem, always skyball with the Kasco driver, and then tried out a Ping G10 8.5. VERY forgiving and controllable, no more skyballs, and loooong.

Have you tried one?

My BIL has the ping...I don't mind it...but I have never been a huge ping driver fan for some reason...not sure why lol.

Nait Hadya
03-29-2011, 09:52 AM
there are online stores that sell golfing components,shafts,drivers. if your adventureous enough, you can build your own,it makes expermenting with shafts much easier,and cheaper.