PDA

View Full Version : Rockyview County to ban shooting on acreages

junkdude
03-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Head's up people,

Rockview County is proposing a ban on shooting on acreages with a new "Community Standards" bylaw. Looks like they are trying to make our rural way of life more urban and possibly make it easier for future developments. No more gopher or coyote shooting. Shooting only on 30+ acres.

Feel free to phone Rocky View manager of compliance regarding this bylaw and share your thoughts. (403) 520-7272. Email is: tmccauley@rockyview.ca

Proposed bylaw is on their web site here is the link.

http://www.rockyview.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=195

We need to kill this one in it's tracks before it spreads to other municipalities.

Rockymtnx
03-28-2011, 12:48 PM
There is a couple discussions about this in the Guns & Ammo Section.

Jamie
03-28-2011, 01:15 PM
I am having issues finding it as well.

This line here (Among many others) bothers me

"No person shall discharge a Firearm or a Weapon on lands owned or controlled by the County without a permit from the Counties Emergency Services Section"

So does this mean any any land that people are currently hunting on? I dont know for sure, but I would guess there is some land that is owned by the County that people are hunting on.

Jamie

sparkster
03-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Thats crazy! I hate when they atart changing laws like that. No good comes from up except for a few grunpy city people who have bought land in the outskirts and can't stand the thought of a gun.

Coyotes will infest that area like crazy.

260 Rem
03-28-2011, 03:55 PM
I am having issues finding it as well.

This line here (Among many others) bothers me

"No person shall discharge a Firearm or a Weapon on lands owned or controlled by the County without a permit from the Counties Emergency Services Section"

So does this mean any any land that people are currently hunting on? I dont know for sure, but I would guess there is some land that is owned by the County that people are hunting on.

Jamie

The statement does not refer to privately owned land...only that which is owned by the County, and that which is "controlled" by the County. The "controlled" areas are potentially problematic because they would include both muicipal and environmental reserves. I don't know the situation in Rockyview, but some Counties manage "environmental reserve land" which could include wetlands / including lake shorelines given up during a subdivision process.

Justanotherbuck2
03-28-2011, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure and would hope to get proper clarification from the county, the county controls all aspects of any land within its boundaries, just try and build a house or start a campground, bed and breakfast etc or just build a garage you will soon see that the county controls that. So I would say this includes all private land of less than thirty acres. I'm going to let a buddy of mine know, he owns a five acre lot north of Conrich that backs onto a 1/2 section of hay field him and his wife shoot coyotes and gophers from their deck! He won't be very happy about these proposals!

Jamie
03-28-2011, 04:45 PM
The statement does not refer to privately owned land...only that which is owned by the County, and that which is "controlled" by the County. The "controlled" areas are potentially problematic because they would include both muicipal and environmental reserves. I don't know the situation in Rockyview, but some Counties manage "environmental reserve land" which could include wetlands / including lake shorelines given up during a subdivision process.

260, that explains it better.
I dont have a Rockyview MD map handy, put perhpas if someone could look at it we could find out.
It wouldnt surprise me to see some land is owned by the county. If so, we as hunters will lose access.

Jamie

Okotokian
03-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Wondering if this law is designed to cover a conern that is already addressed in current laws. I assume it's proposed so you aren't bothering or endangering neighbours when you shoot on these small (less than 30 acre) plots. However, you are already prohibited from discharging a firearm within 200 yards of a dwelling without permission, so your acreage neighbour can already stop you from shooting now.

So if you have a small less than 30 acre plot in between a couple of large farms, you can't shoot on your land, but your neighbours can shoot on theirs right on the other side of your fence line? Not logical.

Justanotherbuck2
03-28-2011, 05:14 PM
If you look under definitions and then under the sections this certainly does mean all acreages under thirty acres are NOT a shoot zone

yy. “Shoot Zone” means a property that is:
(i) designated in the Land Use Bylaw as Ranch Farm, Ranch Farm 2 or Ranch Farm 3 and is larger than 12.14 hectares (29.99 acres); or
(ii) a quarter section containing less than twenty (20) Residential buildings.
Notwithstanding subsection (i) and (ii), a Shoot Zone does not include any land designated Public Service, Business, Commercial or Hamlet in the Land Use Bylaw

7.1 No person shall discharge a Firearm outside of a Shoot Zone.

:mad3:

Justanotherbuck2
03-28-2011, 05:24 PM
the proposed fines for shooting gohpers looks like MIN. $250.00 and a specified fine of $500.00 Not sure what the specified fine means really but I'm sure someone on here does. but it looks like your next gopher in Rockyview could cost $250.00. TOO MUCH BIG BROTHER!