PDA

View Full Version : Africa Shipping Costs!!! AAAAAHHHH!

BTK
03-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Just recieved my estimates for shipping of my trophies from South Africa. Well all I can say is I just about hit the floor. I was expecting 2-$2500 tops. Guess not, grand total $4400!!!!!!!! and there's still costs/taxes to add on. I'm thinking this is going to be a minimum of a $5000 bill!!!!!

One of the reasons I had my stuff done there was A) Taxi work was really good, B) Over all costs including shipping was suppose to be about $6000.

I have 5 shoulder mounts and 1 pedistal. Has anyone else had shipment this size shipped? Mind if I ask what your costs were?

Hun-Ter
03-28-2011, 05:52 PM
I haven't been in Africa, but I have shipped and received many things globally, so here is what I'd do:
I'd find a container shipping company who ships regularly to Canada and ask them to bring it whenever they have room in one of their container.
It might takes few months, but should be less than $1000 - unless you are talking about 5 full body mounted lions...:thinking-006:

Hunter

sheephunter
03-28-2011, 05:55 PM
That sounds about right. It cost us $3200 just for our capes, back skins and horns.

Are you getting removeable horns on your mounts? Often that greatly reduces shipping costs.

Running Bear
03-28-2011, 06:34 PM
Wow, prices have went way up. I had all my capes, horns, and backskins shipped for under $500, but that was in 2002.

MKD
03-28-2011, 06:48 PM
There are at least three or four shipping companies that handle the job.
It does depend on your trophies. Obviously, an eland, buffalo and kudu are going to be a lot more than and impala.
We have had estimates about $2500 for 4 or 5 trophies.
This was of course before the airlines had to deal with 103 dollar oil.
So, it may be right in line with current costs.

Hilgy
03-28-2011, 06:52 PM
I had a buddy that moved to the coast from NZ just so he could hunt. After a couple years he had to move home to take over the family farm.

He had a bear rug, shoulder mount elk, moose, two deer, and a couger rug shipped home for just under 10k.

I couldnt believe it when he asked me to crate them up for shipment.

Jorg
03-28-2011, 06:56 PM
I think all those prices are insane. I will have to check my old emails but I kinda remember about 1200 dollars for 100 kilo's- for live fish from Lake Tanganyika area

doetracks
03-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Yup, sounds right. I went to Africa in 2001 and the biggest cost was taxidermy and shipping.

The quality of the work was outstanding, if I ever go back and need mounts done, they'll definitely be done by people that have intimate knowledge of the species.

Cheap trip, cheap hunt, expensive mounts. LOL

Erik
03-28-2011, 10:33 PM
My trophies are in transit:

1 Gemsbok shoulder mount
1 Wildebeest shoulder mount
1 Blesbok Euro mount
1 Warthog Euro mount
+ Backskins

Shipping came out to $1375, which was a little on the high side compared to other quotes that I received, but was the only shipping agent that my taxi dealt with, which saved me overall about $1000. Lowest quote I received was for $900.

Not sure how that compares to what you have, but hope that helps for a frame of reference. I don't remember off-hand the weight or size of my crate.

calgarychef
03-29-2011, 02:48 AM
It was a little over a grand for one kudu shoulder mount for me, so your bill might be in the ballpark. These taxidermy companies need to come up with a better way. Next time I go I'll spend the money on a cameraman instead and come home with some nice pics and videos. Five grand will get you to africa and buy you a week of hunting to boot.

gunslinger
03-29-2011, 06:30 AM
yup your right in the right ballpark for sure, she was around that price for me also.

schimmel
03-29-2011, 08:34 AM
Went with three two buddies last year. We were told that if we put our shipment under one name it would be cheaper. We still have separate crates but it will go under one name.

Two of the crates will have 3 shoulder mounts, one crate will have 4 shoulder mounts and we all had a Zebra rug done a couple of back skins & at least 5 bleached skulls each.

The estimate we received May 5, 2010 was $3345.50. The estimate we received March 26, 2011 was $4771.25. That is total for all 3 of our crates.

Fisherpeak
03-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Aw,if you can afford an African trip and all the Taxi work,you can fork out for the shipping.Lots of us poorer guys will never get to hunt there.

roger
03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
we met another fella from Alberta on the plane and put all 17 animals (13 were shoulder mounts) all magically stuffed into one 4x4x8 crate,
5k then we divided it accordingly, took two years.

roger
03-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Lots of us poorer guys will never get to hunt there.
and who's fault is that?
Its about priorities, my wife and I hunted there for 16 days, the hunt itself was less than the cost of a new quad...no one thinks twice about buying a new quad, harley, or boat or the cost of smoking for two years.
if you truly wanted to do it, you wouldnt be saying these things.

Twisted Canuck
03-29-2011, 05:10 PM
and who's fault is that?
Its about priorities, my wife and I hunted there for 16 days, the hunt itself was less than the cost of a new quad...no one thinks twice about buying a new quad, harley, or boat or the cost of smoking for two years.
if you truly wanted to do it, you wouldnt be saying these things.

Well said Roger. I often have thoughts like that, but don't usually post them as it isn't usually well received. However, I gave up smoking years ago, and have never owned a quad. I'll also never afford to go to Africa (at least for a while), because my son plays AA hockey, and it costs as much as an African hunt with mounts and shipping, every year. My choice. I do without some things, to pay for others. Sacrifice is what life is about IMO, and for the most part, if something is important enough to you, you'll sacrifice elsewhere to make it happen. Lots of things people can do without, luxuries that are considered 'necessary'. Anyway, don't want to derail the thread, just give a x2 to the point you made. Cheers, TC

thumper
03-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Right on Roger.
It's all about priorities. Drive a used truck, forgo some toys, quit some vices, pay the 'main squeeze' some quality attention and it's amazing how quickly Africa can happen!
My hunting partner and I tried to combine the shipment of our trophies into one container, but for some reason -claimed to be customs regulations, the African taxidermist wouldn't do it.
My costs for 2 shoulder mounts, 4 sets of various horns mounted on wooden plaques, 1 gemsbuk hide rifle case, 1 rug and 2 hides - all creatively crated was $1,297 frieght, plus $56 NAV & TSC fees, + $430 duty of trophies & African taxidermy for a total of $1,783. Johannesburg to Calgary - received December 2009.
PM me if you want the shipper info. to pass on to your taxidermist. I know that the shipper picked the trophies up at the taxidermist and handled it from there.

BTK
03-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Aw,if you can afford an African trip and all the Taxi work,you can fork out for the shipping.Lots of us poorer guys will never get to hunt there.

Hey I know it seems expensive but how about break it down a bit. $200 a month(thats $100 a paycheck) = $2400 a year X 5yrs = $10000 which is plenty enough to go to Africa, even 5yrs from now.

I'm far from being rich I just prioritized!

Sporty
03-29-2011, 07:37 PM
My daughter's boss is enroute at this moment to Africa, she flew out of Edm this evening. Her salon had a fundraiser for a school over there that one of her former employees has been volunteering at. Once she found out how much the shipping costs were, she checked around and found out it was just as cost effective for her to fly there with the stuff and pay the over weight fees.

sheephunter
03-29-2011, 07:44 PM
My daughter's boss is enroute at this moment to Africa, she flew out of Edm this evening. Her salon had a fundraiser for a school over there that one of her former employees has been volunteering at. Once she found out how much the shipping costs were, she checked around and found out it was just as cost effective for her to fly there with the stuff and pay the over weight fees.

Most airlines will allow you to take a humantarian bag for free. SCI runs a blue bag program for this. It's pretty cool. But ya, shipping is crazy.

Fisherpeak
03-30-2011, 06:41 AM
Hey I know it seems expensive but how about break it down a bit. $200 a month(thats $100 a paycheck) = $2400 a year X 5yrs = $10000 which is plenty enough to go to Africa, even 5yrs from now.

I'm far from being rich I just prioritized!

I prioritize too,it`s called doubling up on the mortgage payments and fixing up my house.I don`t have a quad or a Harley or a new truck but I do have a brand new roof,a new furnace,a completely remodeled kithchen and a new 200 amp service.And it`s all payed for.
I hunt elk 5 minutes from my door so I guess I don`t need Africa.

gunslinger
03-30-2011, 07:00 AM
I prioritize too,it`s called doubling up on the mortgage payments and fixing up my house.I don`t have a quad or a Harley or a new truck but I do have a brand new roof,a new furnace,a completely remodeled kithchen and a new 200 amp service.And it`s all payed for.
I hunt elk 5 minutes from my door so I guess I don`t need Africa.

jees thats great fisher that you got your house all fixed up there, now that thats done i guess you can start doubleing up your savings to go to africa eh, becasue its one thing in life you should deffintly experience like BTK did.
After all it is AFRICA.
For the price of what you did too your house should be able to get your self about 11 animals, including taxidermy and shipping. goodluck man.

rhuntley12
03-30-2011, 07:38 AM
As second poster said look for a shipping container and ship it by sea, it may be a lot cheaper. Coworker last year got a big container and shipped a ton of stuff from his old place in China and it was well below that price. Just took a bit of waiting.

schimmel
03-30-2011, 08:09 AM
We looked into shipping by sea but were told not to. If inspectors decide to check the container your stuff is in because you are shipping animals parts & your shipment isn't big enough to fill the whole sea can & there are delays to the shipment because they are checking your crate. You are responsible for any costs incured while the shipment is held up.

This what the taxidermist & the shipping company had told us. They also told us that they had recently (in the last three months) had one client that insisted on sending his large shipment of trophies by sea & it ended up costing him another $6000.00 on top of what was already a big bill.

Air cargo does cost more but not a lot. If there are problems shipping by sea then the cost can double or triple. We looked at every avenue & decided that the air was going to be more but it was the least likely to have any surprises or extra costs once the trophies were shipped.

roger
03-30-2011, 08:47 AM
BTK,
have you priced having it shipped tanned/salted, flat skins and having mounted here?
when I checked into it, it was more expensive to taxi here, but the shipping was much, much less.
depending who you get in africa, (dare I say) the 'quality control' is different than North america. so if your a perfectionist, you may want to take it to a 'local' contact.

steve
03-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Just recieved my estimates for shipping of my trophies from South Africa. Well all I can say is I just about hit the floor. I was expecting 2-$2500 tops. Guess not, grand total $4400!!!!!!!! and there's still costs/taxes to add on. I'm thinking this is going to be a minimum of a $5000 bill!!!!!

One of the reasons I had my stuff done there was A) Taxi work was really good, B) Over all costs including shipping was suppose to be about $6000.

I have 5 shoulder mounts and 1 pedistal. Has anyone else had shipment this size shipped? Mind if I ask what your costs were?

I would expect a bill that size for shipping 5 big crates and one huge crate half way across the world.

sheephunter
03-30-2011, 09:12 AM
I would expect a bill that size for shipping 5 big crates and one huge crate half way across the world.

I suspect it would only be two or three crates. African shippers are pretty amazing when it comes to fitting a lot in one crate.

Don't forget that the shippers also handle all the export paperwork and ensure the tropies are properly permited and cleaned and dipped if required. It's more than just putting something in a box.

steve
03-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Don't forget that the shippers also handle all the export paperwork and ensure the tropies are properly permited and cleaned and dipped if required. It's more than just putting something in a box.

Didn't forget.

sheephunter
03-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Didn't forget.

Sorry that wasn't in response to your post....just my first sentence was ...that was an after though to the entire thread. :)

BTK
03-30-2011, 11:00 AM
BTK,
have you priced having it shipped tanned/salted, flat skins and having mounted here?
when I checked into it, it was more expensive to taxi here, but the shipping was much, much less.
depending who you get in africa, (dare I say) the 'quality control' is different than North america. so if your a perfectionist, you may want to take it to a 'local' contact.

We hunted in 2009, stopped by the taxi after the hunt to look at his work, I thought it was pretty good. After I got home I had quotes from the taxi and the shipper and also turn around times. At that point I decided to get it done there.
Have talked to a company based out of Regina and who works directly with a Taxi, she said the shipping prices I was quoted are right out to lunch. Will know in a couple days what her prices are and will post.

BTK
03-30-2011, 11:12 AM

1 crate. 5 1/2'X4'X4'

http://www.huntinglegends.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_1022.JPG

Check out this link gives you an idea how they get all those animals in 1 box.

steve
03-30-2011, 11:14 AM
1 crate. 5 1/2'X4'X4'

http://www.huntinglegends.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_1022.JPG

Check out this link gives you an idea how they get all those animals in 1 box.

That is a little steep then.

Erik
03-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Yes, I would say its a little steep, considering I paid $1400 last week for 1 crate and not too much less in terms of mounts. And as I said that was on the high end of quotes from shipping agents.

See if they will ship through Safari Cargo Systems. They are the most prominent shipping agent in S.A. and their quotes were the cheapest for my shipment.

colour86
03-30-2011, 11:33 AM
who is quoting you prices?

and just a heads up for people if your clearing the shipment yourself. if you clear your stuff in calgary you pay a lot more in tax/ other charges. way better off clearing in either edmonton or vancouver. calgary operates weird in that regard.

schimmel
03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Colour86 Thanks for the heads up on shipping to Edmonton or Vancouver & not Calgary. Good to know.

BTK
03-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Yes, I would say its a little steep, considering I paid $1400 last week for 1 crate and not too much less in terms of mounts. And as I said that was on the high end of quotes from shipping agents.

See if they will ship through Safari Cargo Systems. They are the most prominent shipping agent in S.A. and their quotes were the cheapest for my shipment.

The quote was from Safaris Cargo Systems.

Erik
03-30-2011, 05:49 PM
The quote was from Safaris Cargo Systems.

That's strange. What is the weight of your crate? I think mine was 139 kg. Are you shipping any CITES animals?