PDA

View Full Version : Harper banned from running for re-election.

KegRiver
03-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Just saw this link. I'm wondering, could it be true. I found a few links that say it is but none of them look official.

http://pushedleft.blogspot.com/2011/03/stephen-harper-may-be-barred-from.html

berjerkin
03-28-2011, 09:37 PM
why was he in contempt of parliment? what did he do?

Matt L.
03-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Keep in mind that appears to be a lefty site...

grinr
03-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Just saw this link. I'm wondering, could it be true. I found a few links that say it is but none of them look official.

http://pushedleft.blogspot.com/2011/03/stephen-harper-may-be-barred-from.html
Buncha Lieberal blogger BS would be my guess. :rolleyes:

KegRiver
03-28-2011, 09:45 PM
That's just it berjerkin, News reports state that the Conservative government was found in contempt. It does not say the Stephan Harper was.

Matt, I realize that this and the other sites I found appeared to belong to Liberal supporters.

I am wondering, is it possible, can they use the contempt of parliament to block Mr. Harper from seeking re-election?

And even if they can't do so legally, could they use that claim to prevent him from seeking re-election by tying him up with a court case until the election is over?

rugatika
03-28-2011, 10:07 PM
Bunch of lefties sitting in their moms basement dreaming up ways that Harper can be kept from the reigns of power yet again. Probably followed by a conversation of who was the hottest chick on Star Trek.

209x50
03-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Bunch of lefties sitting in their moms basement dreaming up ways that Harper can be kept from the reigns of power yet again. Probably followed by a conversation of who was the hottest chick on Star Trek.
Uhura!:sHa_shakeshout:

RandyBoBandy
03-28-2011, 10:18 PM
I wonder if the "lefties" will ask for Harpers birth certificate:):):)

6.5 shooter
03-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Uhura!

X2 ^^^^^

CaberTosser
03-29-2011, 12:15 AM
You're both wrong! Hottest, bar none, is Seven of Nine!!

Unregistered user
03-29-2011, 07:24 AM
Who doesn't feel contempt for parliament lately?

6.5 shooter
03-29-2011, 08:57 AM

I was thinking of the original Star Trek...... but yes 7 was, is very hot. (and Canadian)

eastcoast
03-29-2011, 09:00 AM
absolutely false there is no precidence for this in canada, john a mcdonald was booted out for something and then re elected a couple years later, arthur meighan same thing, mackenzie king was elected a couple times after the king bing affair etc.

greylynx
03-29-2011, 09:43 AM

Some of those Klingon and Romulon Babes. Some of them were sort of cute.

They never seemed to be helpless, and knew how to handle weapons.

Spartan30-06
03-29-2011, 10:44 AM
I kind of prefer T'Pol.

whitetail Junkie
03-29-2011, 11:34 AM

:lol:

mtylerb
03-29-2011, 12:22 PM
I kind of prefer T'Pol.

x2!

You know, if you read this thread very carefully, there's talk of politics in here ... somewhere.

6.5 shooter
03-29-2011, 02:54 PM
A rumour circulating on Twitter over the past few days holds that Conservative leader Stephen Harper cannot legally run for Parliament because he was found in contempt of Parliament.

The origin of this thread appears to be the website presscore.ca, which contends that the contempt of finding that triggered the election is akin to the impeachment of a U.S. president.

"According to parliamentary law, contempt of parliament is a federal crime. Being that Harper has been found guilty of a crime, Harper is barred from seeking re-election on May 2, 2011."

Where to begin debunking? First, Harper himself was not found in contempt of Parliament. His government was.

Second, contempt of Parliament is not a federal crime. Parliament is not governed by federal law — only by the Constitution and the standing orders.

Third, there is no prohibition in the Elections Act against a convicted criminal from seeking election.

Just ask Ivan Grose, who had served time for bank robbery long before becoming a Liberal MP for Oshawa from 1993 to 2004.

chasingtail
03-29-2011, 05:16 PM
If that was the case then anytime there was a minority gov't the opposition can simply vote gov't in Contempt for some made up reason to prevent the PM from every running again. Seems pretty stupid to me.

KegRiver
03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone. I suspected that it was a bunch of bovine fertilizer but I wasn't 100% sure.

I figured if it were true the media would be all over it, and there was no mention of it in the media.

Now I am 100% sure. It is pre-owned hay.

It is NO CONTEST. Deanna rules !!!

yukon12
03-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone. I suspected that it was a bunch of bovine fertilizer but I wasn't 100% sure.

I figured if it were true the media would be all over it, and there was no mention of it in the media.

Now I am 100% sure. It is pre-owned hay.

It is NO CONTEST. Deanna rules !!!

It is just lefty crap.

philthygeezer
03-29-2011, 06:15 PM
Uhura!

Talk to everyone you know about voting CPC. Seven million gun owners can change a whole election.

300-510
03-29-2011, 07:15 PM
Bunch of left wing garbage thought up while ****ing the bed at mommies house.

deanmc
03-29-2011, 08:39 PM
why was he in contempt of parliment? what did he do?
The Gov was found in contempt for failing to provide enough information about the costs of its crime legislation.

As already stated it was his government not Harper.

All it means is that we are about to spend 300-400 million Dollars on an election no one wants. I hope Harper gets a majority so he can stick this right up Ignatieff's, Laytons, and Duceppe's @$$.:argue2:

grinr
03-29-2011, 09:50 PM
I hope Harper gets a majority so he can stick this right up Ignatieff's, Laytons, and Duceppe's @$$.:argue2:

Dear God,let it be so.Without a majority govt. We're looking at a future of nothing substantial ever being accomplished.I say the BQ should be declared ineligible to even run in any Federal election since it is only a provincial party in reality with only the interests of seperatist Quebec in mind.They have absolutely ZERO chance of EVER winning a federal election and are merely spoilers that make the entire parliamentary process disfunctional.

When I become King,I am gonna have the entire BQ caucus executed for high treason.:sHa_shakeshout:

TreeGuy
03-29-2011, 09:56 PM
One of the first couple of things you will see from the soon-to-be Harper majority will be an elimination of the $2/vote, followed by all federal parties being required to run candidates in at least 75% of the ridings nationally.

grinr
03-29-2011, 10:06 PM
One of the first couple of things you will see from the soon-to-be Harper majority will be an elimination of the $2/vote, followed by all federal parties being required to run candidates in at least 75% of the ridings nationally.

Fantastic idea!!! :)

Guess I better get crackin and order that crate of SKS rifles I've been oogling over and a few crates of ammo in prep for the civil war.:fighting0030:

KegRiver
03-30-2011, 01:11 AM

I think that would solve the problem of a fractured parliament only to fracture the country. I do believe grinr is right about the outcome of that.

However, I believe that such a result is inevitable. It's only a matter of time.
Sooner or later Quebec will find a reason to separate. Like a unhappy marriage, sooner or late there will be a divorce.

Bolete
03-30-2011, 08:11 AM
The Gov was found in contempt for failing to provide enough information about the costs of its crime legislation.

All it means is that we are about to spend 300-400 million Dollars on an election no one wants. I hope Harper gets a majority so he can stick this right up Ignatieff's, Laytons, and Duceppe's @$$.:argue2:

And this from the party (libs) who's gun registry has already cost 1000x more than projected.