PDA

View Full Version : BullsHead opener Who's Going ?

whitetail Junkie
03-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Bullshead opens this Friday April 1st for Jumbo Trout.I hope to make it out either Friday or saturday.

I'm guessing that it's going to be through the ice!!!

Here's a dumb Question.If it's through the ice are you allowed to use Two Rods at bullshead or only one???

Some guys told me that you can only use the one rod at that Lake even if it's through the ice????:scared:

I looked in the regs and could'nt find nothing of the sorts.

It says" Open water no more than one Line"

Through the ice,
"No more than Two lines".

What if there's open water but I'm still fishing through the ice??

This seems to be kind of a Grey area with some people around town.

Thanks,WJ!

Fishfinder
03-28-2011, 10:32 PM
I will be there Saturday, worky work on Friday unfortunately. Can't wait, should be fun! Drop me a p.m. if u plan to be there Saturday, perhaps see you out there.
Regarding your question, I'm pretty sure 2 rods are fine THROUGH the ice, but don't quote me. Nothing in regs so should be all good. Drove by BullsH 2 days ago, was too lazy to walk past the gates but guessing it will be fully frozen over unlike last year at this time. Drove to Michelle too for SitsNGigggles....wow, couldn't tell where the shoreline began and the prarie stopped. Heavy packed snow....everywhere, almost hit the ditch a couple times. Road to Bullshead is fine though. Case u were wondering.
Cheers n GL this weekend!!

whitetail Junkie
03-28-2011, 10:44 PM
I will be there Saturday, worky work on Friday unfortunately. Can't wait, should be fun! Drop me a p.m. if u plan to be there Saturday, perhaps see you out there.
Regarding your question, I'm pretty sure 2 rods are fine THROUGH the ice, but don't quote me. Nothing in regs so should be all good. Drove by BullsH 2 days ago, was too lazy to walk past the gates but guessing it will be fully frozen over unlike last year at this time. Drove to Michelle too for SitsNGigggles....wow, couldn't tell where the shoreline began and the prarie stopped. Heavy packed snow....everywhere, almost hit the ditch a couple times. Road to Bullshead is fine though. Case u were wondering.
Cheers n GL this weekend!!

Thanks for the info...I'd rather go saturday instead of friday because my cousins off on saturday and I like fishing with him.however i'm on call so who knows.If i'm there friday i'll be fishing the smaller part of the lake,i'll be wearing Brown Carhartt overalls!! hope to see yaa there!!!

fishpro
03-28-2011, 10:45 PM
I wish I could go, but school and work will keep me from being there.

For those who are heading down and fishing through the ice I just ask you to treat the trout well while landing and releasing them. The ice is rougher on the them a soft net is during open water, so please try to handle them as little as possible. If you plan on keeping one have your tape measure ready, and if not try to pop them off while still in the hole. This lake is a gem with a lot of nice fish, let's do everything we can to keep it that way, good luck to everyone going down! :)

Fishfinder
03-28-2011, 11:05 PM
I wish I could go, but school and work will keep me from being there.

For those who are heading down and fishing through the ice I just ask you to treat the trout well while landing and releasing them. The ice is rougher on the them a soft net is during open water, so please try to handle them as little as possible. If you plan on keeping one have your tape measure ready, and if not try to pop them off while still in the hole. This lake is a gem with a lot of nice fish, let's do everything we can to keep it that way, good luck to everyone going down! :)

Agreed.:)

WJ, I'll keep an eye out for ya, can't see us venturing out too far either....bring good boots:) Lotsa snow out there from what I could see.

ishootbambi
03-28-2011, 11:07 PM
a couple years ago there was ice on a fair bit and some open water. if you are going through the ice, two lines are allowed. the parkies were out in full force last time that happened and thats what they said. honestly, if part of the lake is open i wouldnt walk on the ice. there were two guys just off the boat lauch standing on a sheet of plywood two years ago. i was sure they were gonna get wet.....heck a part of me mighta been hoping.....:evilgrin:.

whitetail Junkie
03-29-2011, 12:13 AM
a couple years ago there was ice on a fair bit and some open water. if you are going through the ice, two lines are allowed. the parkies were out in full force last time that happened and thats what they said. honestly, if part of the lake is open i wouldnt walk on the ice. there were two guys just off the boat lauch standing on a sheet of plywood two years ago. i was sure they were gonna get wet.....heck a part of me mighta been hoping.....:evilgrin:.

I'm bringing my rope and there's a big rock right near my spot!!

Would'nt be the first time I fell through:sign0161:

KJPFISH
03-29-2011, 09:04 AM
I'll be there on Friday and Saturday along with my brother and some other buddies. Ice fishing and open water gear (likely not needed this year but just in case) is already packed into the truck. I just hope the wind stays down for a change, as it can get ugly nasty down there.

KJPFISH

fishing101
03-29-2011, 02:29 PM
Will, also be heading down friday afternoon. Might be walking in from the highway unless they open up the road. There is some big snow drifts down there. I would think there should be lots of ice for a bit. The wind might not be that bad if it is warm. Once the snow gets heavy from melting it doesn't blow around as bad.

If anyone from the hat wants to head down in the afternoon let me know.

ishootbambi
03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm bringing my rope and there's a big rock right near my spot!!

Would'nt be the first time I fell through:sign0161:

lolol. ty you silly bugger, you just gave away your secret hidey hole. there is only 1 rock out there!

baitfisher83
03-29-2011, 02:58 PM
Sounds like quite the gathering, if only I wasn't working Saturdays..lol

ishootbambi
03-29-2011, 03:00 PM
Sounds like quite the gathering, if only I wasn't working Saturdays..lol

you arent allowed there.....it has a bait ban......:sHa_sarcasticlol:

baitfisher83
03-29-2011, 03:00 PM
lol you brat

whitetail Junkie
03-29-2011, 03:04 PM
lolol. ty you silly bugger, you just gave away your secret hidey hole. there is only 1 rock out there!

Not around the Dam :)

Geez it's so beautiful outside today...I wish it was opening day right now.

Sure as heck i'll get called to work on friday and part of saturday,i just know it:mad0030:

Couleestalker
03-29-2011, 03:08 PM
I think I might try Friday am. I never iced fished there before but caught some beauties on the fly gear.

huntsfurfish
03-29-2011, 03:12 PM
Im jealous, good luck to you all.

kinwahkly
03-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Was planning on Friday, just not sure of the ice, or snow or if theres going to be any open water, long drive from Calgary if you cant fish it.

chubbdarter
03-29-2011, 04:30 PM
for us that have a long haul to Bulls and not knowing the conditions....is Spruce for brookies a reasonable back up plan?

Couleestalker
03-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Rod to Spruce is closed until snow melts. They never plowed it once this year.

chubbdarter
03-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Rod to Spruce is closed until snow melts. They never plowed it once this year.

thank you

lone wolf
03-29-2011, 07:14 PM
for us that have a long haul to Bulls and not knowing the conditions....is Spruce for brookies a reasonable back up plan?

I have heard there is an incredible amount of snow in the hills, so I doubt you would make it close to the lake at Spruce Coulee.

Anyone else been out that way recently ??

Tabers Best
03-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Will, also be heading down friday afternoon. Might be walking in from the highway unless they open up the road. There is some big snow drifts down there. I would think there should be lots of ice for a bit. The wind might not be that bad if it is warm. Once the snow gets heavy from melting it doesn't blow around as bad.

If anyone from the hat wants to head down in the afternoon let me know.

You fix kitchen sink Friday afternoon .... so no fish for you ....

goldscud
03-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Could be hard to get a fly in the water
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishmonger/SouthMarch2411034.jpg

chubbdarter
03-29-2011, 09:23 PM
Could be hard to get a fly in the water
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/fishmonger/SouthMarch2411034.jpg

that a current pic?

goldscud
03-29-2011, 09:54 PM
From March 24

whitetail Junkie
03-29-2011, 10:00 PM
From March 24

Let The Flooding Begin!!!!!

:scared:

Sundancefisher
03-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Make sure you all take tons of photos and show some people on AOF what a quality fishery means to Albertans. Catch some photos of the crowds and parking this Spring...along with the trout!:sHa_shakeshout:

madatter
03-30-2011, 09:11 AM
Make sure you all take tons of photos and show some people on AOF what a quality fishery means to Albertans. Catch some photos of the crowds and parking this Spring...along with the trout!:sHa_shakeshout:

Oh no you had to do it!!
Have you not been listening to Speck,HD and the lot?:scared:
Bullshead is totally useless and should never have been allowed!
No one wants to fish it and it should be put back to normal regs!,:sHa_sarcasticlol:
All fun aside I'm gonna miss opening weekend this year....good luck to all and get lots of pics of those little fish....:)

Bolt
03-30-2011, 03:27 PM
Just got back from a drive out to BullsHead. Lots of snow and lots of ice. I figure ice is at least 3 feet thick. No water around the edges yet, but who know what will happen in the next few days. I plan on being out there on Friday. We took some pictures today but not sure how to post them here for you all.

We also went out to Michelle, more snow out there. Saw someone icefishing there. Was a little slow at the time. He was just waiting for BullsHead to open just like us.

Can't wait for Friday. Got the fishing licence at CT on the way back home. Tackle box ready to go.....now just to wait for Friday.

Bolt

chubbdarter
03-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Just got back from a drive out to BullsHead. Lots of snow and lots of ice. I figure ice is at least 3 feet thick. No water around the edges yet, but who know what will happen in the next few days. I plan on being out there on Friday. We took some pictures today but not sure how to post them here for you all.

We also went out to Michelle, more snow out there. Saw someone icefishing there. Was a little slow at the time. He was just waiting for BullsHead to open just like us.

Can't wait for Friday. Got the fishing licence at CT on the way back home. Tackle box ready to go.....now just to wait for Friday.

Bolt

thanks for update sir

KJPFISH
03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Hey Bolt - can we get into the Bullshead parking lot or will we need to hike in from the road. I hope we don't need snow shoes as well!

KJPFISH

whitetail Junkie
03-30-2011, 03:50 PM

Bolt

Friday,saturday or sunday!!! Work cant get me for all three days,cu out there,it's suppose to be beautiful weather!!!!

Bolt
03-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Hey Bolt - can we get into the Bullshead parking lot or will we need to hike in from the road. I hope we don't need snow shoes as well!

KJPFISH

The gate was closed yesterday, but the road in and the parking lot was plowed. I am sure that they will have it open Friday. There was a fair amount of snow from the parking lot to the lake. Will be driving a blue van....say hi.

KJPFISH
03-31-2011, 03:06 PM
The gate was closed yesterday, but the road in and the parking lot was plowed. I am sure that they will have it open Friday. There was a fair amount of snow from the parking lot to the lake. Will be driving a blue van....say hi.

Thanks for the update. I'm headed to the Hat tonight and we'll be in the BH parking lot by about 7 am. I'm driving a '08 grey/blue Duramax. We normally hike and then fish the back bays, so I hope the snow is not too deep, given that we will be pulling sleds with all our 'stuff'. I hope the wind stays down!

Good fishing!

fishing101
03-31-2011, 03:51 PM
How good is the road cleared out? will you need a 4 x4 or two wheel drive.

Bolt
03-31-2011, 05:50 PM
How good is the road cleared out? will you need a 4 x4 or two wheel drive.
FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]
It was pretty good, down to the gravel in parts, but it was still frozen when we were out there. I think it will be not to bad.

Shawnlh
04-01-2011, 11:39 AM
WARNING!!!!!!!
We have a winter storm warning for Medicine Hat today, April 1st 2011. Anyone who knows these parts, knows that it's usually worse down south. Hope you have a 4x4, or you might want to keep an eye on the sky.

Just a heads up guys: http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?ab26#ab26-242cweg-074200

whitetail Junkie
04-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Anyone make it out there Today??? I could'nt:sign0161:

Dust1n
04-01-2011, 08:26 PM
WARNING!!!!!!!
We have a winter storm warning for Medicine Hat today, April 1st 2011. Anyone who knows these parts, knows that it's usually worse down south. Hope you have a 4x4, or you might want to keep an eye on the sky.

Just a heads up guys: http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warnings/report_e.html?ab26#ab26-242cweg-074200

yup weather warning for calgary tonight a couple inches of snow too

whitetail Junkie
04-01-2011, 08:28 PM
yup weather warning for calgary tonight a couple inches of snow too

I guess only the Men will be out there Tommorow!!!

chubbdarter
04-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Anyone make it out there Today??? I could'nt:sign0161:

ya what wj said

any reports?

please and thank you

Drop_Tine
04-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I caught a 10 pounder what a hog .... Than I woke up drewling on the window of my work truck,had a sore neck ... And had to get back to work .

ishootbambi
04-01-2011, 11:25 PM
i was hoping for a report too. oh well.....hopefully i can squeeze a few hours in sunday.

Couleestalker
04-02-2011, 07:46 AM
I went out for a few hours in the morning and managed one fish. I got there at 6:30 and was suprised there was already about 15 vehicles in the parking lot. When i left there was about 50. Seemed slow everywhere, power augers were going all morning as guys were moving around. Everyone I talked to only had one or two fish. The one I did catch was 55cm.

madatter
04-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Friend was out for the morning,landed 2....a 21" and a 23"
Not real fast n furious from what I gather.

goldscud
04-02-2011, 08:13 AM
50 vehicles to go out and plow through snow and ice fish (with storm warning coming)....on a lake with regs for "elite" fisherman....Wow. Who would have thought it could happen?

I guess some folks DO like bigger fish...lazy buggers

How chunky were the fish? Are they nice and fat?
Were the 21" triploids (chrome) or were they diploids with grey bellies?

GaryF
04-02-2011, 08:20 AM
50 vehicles to go out and plow through snow and ice fish (with storm warning coming)....on a lake with regs for "elite" fisherman....Wow. Who would have thought it could happen?

I guess some folks DO like bigger fish...lazy buggers

LOL, I was thinking it. Funny thing huh?

Couleestalker
04-02-2011, 09:22 AM
The parking lot was cleared, no snow what so ever and the lake was snow free as well. A couple of people drove on no problem. The fish I caught was not a triploid and I didn't even look at it's belly color.

ishootbambi
04-02-2011, 09:32 AM
driving on the lake? yikes....i wouldnt, no matter the ice thickness. actually, considering the gas outboard restriction i wonder if the parkies are gonna be hopping mad about it?

anyway, im going to shelf my trip today. in medicine hat a wild blizzard has snow coming down pretty good. of course it sure would look wierd going up. :thinking-006::lol: anyway, its snowing a heavy wet dump and whats worse is the wind is howling something awful. im waiting for tomorrow. besides, then robin can come with and she makes everything we do more fun. :)

whitetail Junkie
04-02-2011, 12:46 PM
driving on the lake? yikes....i wouldnt, no matter the ice thickness. actually, considering the gas outboard restriction i wonder if the parkies are gonna be hopping mad about it?

anyway, im going to shelf my trip today. in medicine hat a wild blizzard has snow coming down pretty good. of course it sure would look wierd going up. :thinking-006::lol: anyway, its snowing a heavy wet dump and whats worse is the wind is howling something awful. im waiting for tomorrow. besides, then robin can come with and she makes everything we do more fun. :)

I'm shooting for Monday....

Had to work last night Late,and i'm going back for a 20-24 hour shift right away...

Weather tommorow is suppose to suck,however monday shows sunshine!!!

hopefully that turns on the Rainbows!!!

trophyboy
04-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Me and mini me were out there today for about 4 hours. Very nasty wind and began to storm badly at about 1 o'clock. Road was quite nasty also. Not real cold though. Caught 7 over 50cm and 12 under. Biggest one my 6 year old boy caught and it was 5.5lbs and only 23.5". Longest one was 24.5" and weighed 5lbs. Had 2 KING KONGS break me off....BRUUUUUTTTTAAALLLL. Nobody out there after about 11:30 a.m. and fish were crazy. Drove on the ice as there were guys driving all over the lake on opening day. Good luck out there.

packhuntr
04-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Weather network doesnt show it as being too bad. Me and the little bro are gonna blow in there for first light. Gotta get on the recieving end of my annual sh*t kicking by a pot hole rainbow. Pretty exciting, but the earlier I get on it, the better off my year will be for it. Trophyboy, if your little guy leans on you again and your rolling in for the morning chew, we're gonna be in a tan/rust colored chev diesel, and the little bro is sorta dumb looking he sticks right out, ya cant miss us LOL

npauls
04-02-2011, 11:56 PM
Hey Kelly,

Glad to hear you and The little man hammered some whoppers. I am going to wait for the ice to clear enough to toss a fly before I head out there.

See ya on the trail

Nate

Fishfinder
04-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Me and mini me were out there today for about 4 hours. Very nasty wind and began to storm badly at about 1 o'clock. Road was quite nasty also. Not real cold though. Caught 7 over 50cm and 12 under. Biggest one my 6 year old boy caught and it was 5.5lbs and only 23.5". Longest one was 24.5" and weighed 5lbs. Had 2 KING KONGS break me off....BRUUUUUTTTTAAALLLL. Nobody out there after about 11:30 a.m. and fish were crazy. Drove on the ice as there were guys driving all over the lake on opening day. Good luck out there.

Awesome! Quite jealous, was a tuff haul for us...
We packed er in quite fast on Saturday, 40mph winds were enough for us lol, only thing that saved the tent from flying across the lake was my body. Took me a minute to realize what happened...wind ripped 3 spikes outta ice and tent turned itself outside in. Thought i broke my nose. We fished in the wind and caught no fish for an hr after that.

Went back Sunday with a vengence. I stepped into a previously auged hole up to my knee. Spent the whole day thawing leg/foot/gear.
Friend of mine fell through two holes, 1 up to his jewels. He too, thawed gear all day in his own shack. Very tough to see them holes with a little wind-blown snow on top. Grrrr.

In the end, sat all day without a bite, until the last hour around 2ish and landed a fatty 21" 4.5#er which is in the process of being marinated before the smoke.

Everyone we spoke to had luck on leetch imitations and small grubs. When we cut into our fish, the conents of their bellies revealed a diet of tiny shrimp and water bugs....much smaller than the grubs we were using.
Food for thought.

Again, awesome work trophyboy, ur boy may be a natural! Got me beat:)
Cheers n GL!:)