PDA

View Full Version : Concrete prices around Edmonton

Fishgut
03-28-2011, 10:36 PM
I see that there are some members who know about concrete here. Would like a ballpark price on 130 tons. Considering a earth berm dwelling, also is there anyone in alberta who has or does this type of contracting. Any info would be a great help to convince the wife as she is skeptical about liveing under ground

sureshot
03-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Last I heard concrete was running for about $230 a meter. Hope this helps.

Andy

CaberTosser
03-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Why go with an earth berm? There's lots of ways to build something that looks a lot more conventional with great thermal performance and no weirdo hippie overtones (think resale value here...). The Europeans do nice things utilizing high performance windows combined with an interior masonry wall that holds a lot of heat in its thermal mass thats acquired through solar energy coming in through strategically placed windows. The house is also oriented to take maximum advantage of the suns rays. We've just done our place with 100% spray foam isulation everywhere and its super efficient and very comfy. Admittedly we've not moved in yet, but I'm very comfortable when working on it.

Fishgut
03-29-2011, 10:10 AM
So 1 metre = 1 ton.....

Fishgut
03-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Why go with an earth berm? There's lots of ways to build something that looks a lot more conventional with great thermal performance and no weirdo hippie overtones (think resale value here...). The Europeans do nice things utilizing high performance windows combined with an interior masonry wall that holds a lot of heat in its thermal mass thats acquired through solar energy coming in through strategically placed windows. The house is also oriented to take maximum advantage of the suns rays. We've just done our place with 100% spray foam isulation everywhere and its super efficient and very comfy. Admittedly we've not moved in yet, but I'm very comfortable when working on it.

Wish to go completely off grid, I am the third generation on land, so no resale value is needed. It shall be passed on to my son and according to him to his children. From what i have found no need to re-shingle every 10 to 20 years, no painting every 10 years. Supposed to last 200 to 1000 years with low maintenance. Sounds as if you are only in it for the short term like most of today's disposable generation. I am looking for input (not just earth berm) but long term structures.

eastcoast
03-29-2011, 11:18 AM
So 1 metre = 1 ton.....

no 1 metre is 1 square meter, in other words 1 cubic metre, if you are really interested I know a guy that does alot of wierd things with concrete and has his little company and will do anything you want him to do, pm me if you are interested.

theycallmeNoah
03-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Look into straw bale houses. You can also do some cool things with cob.

You can PM me for hubby's info.

firegod74
03-29-2011, 01:04 PM
A meter weighs aprox 2.4 metric tonnes according to a quick google search. But I think for your original question you should ask it in cubic meters needed according to your design plans. In the end you will need that volume of concrete regardless of weight. Also I would just call Inland Cement and ask them. All prices will be close to what they charge, and you will be getting it from the horses mouth.

Grizzly Adams
03-29-2011, 03:06 PM
no 1 metre is 1 square meter, in other words 1 cubic metre, if you are really interested I know a guy that does alot of wierd things with concrete and has his little company and will do anything you want him to do, pm me if you are interested.

Big difference between 1 sq. M and 1 cubic meter.:lol: First is area, second is volume. Concrete is sold by volume. Talked to Tanas in Didsbury yesterday. Delivered price for 3000mpa, 20 miles distance is 210. / cu. M. Friend of mine built an earth berm house a few years ago. ICF is the way to go, especially if you're going to do it yourself.

Grizz

CaberTosser
03-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Wish to go completely off grid, I am the third generation on land, so no resale value is needed. It shall be passed on to my son and according to him to his children. From what i have found no need to re-shingle every 10 to 20 years, no painting every 10 years. Supposed to last 200 to 1000 years with low maintenance. Sounds as if you are only in it for the short term like most of today's disposable generation. I am looking for input (not just earth berm) but long term structures.

You've obviously not seen my house. Perhaps I offended you with the hippie comment, so sorry for that. I thought it might help to offer some input,, but I phrased it badly. The part about resale value I'll stick to though, it always difficult to gauge what your kids tastes will be. I have an older realtor buddy who deals with kids squabbling over inherited land; not always, but frequently.

Later when I'm at home and can post links (hard on my IPhone), I'll link the thread with shots of my heating system, which may be of interest to you. It's very efficient, and could incorporate solar and a wood fired boiler too.

Hunter65
03-29-2011, 07:05 PM
1 cu meter = 2300-2400 kg. Depends on amount of cement, amount of water, amount and specific gravity of aggregates
3000 mpa is unheard of, I think you meant 3000 psi.
1 mpa is 1 newton/square millimeter. A newton is a force (1 meter/sec squared?), I never really understood that, so I remember it this way:
roughly the pressure of about an apple (Newton's apple?), or about .22 lbs.
1 mpa = about 143 psi, 35 mpa = 5000 psi (very strong stuff, average driveway is 15-20 mpa). Don't ask how I know all this.

Concrete is ordered by volume. Usually there is a minimum charge like 4 cu meters to make it worthwhile for the supplier. Last I checked it was about $230/cu.m, but could be very wrong.

Grizzly Adams
03-29-2011, 09:03 PM
1 cu meter = 2300-2400 kg. Depends on amount of cement, amount of water, amount and specific gravity of aggregates
3000 mpa is unheard of, I think you meant 3000 psi.
1 mpa is 1 newton/square millimeter. A newton is a force (1 meter/sec squared?), I never really understood that, so I remember it this way:
roughly the pressure of about an apple (Newton's apple?), or about .22 lbs.
1 mpa = about 143 psi, 35 mpa = 5000 psi (very strong stuff, average driveway is 15-20 mpa). Don't ask how I know all this.

Concrete is ordered by volume. Usually there is a minimum charge like 4 cu meters to make it worthwhile for the supplier. Last I checked it was about $230/cu.m, but could be very wrong.

http://www.mc2-ice.com/support/estref/popular_conversion_files/concrete/concrete_strengths.htm

My error.:D

Grizz

Hunter65
03-29-2011, 09:24 PM
http://www.mc2-ice.com/support/estref/popular_conversion_files/concrete/concrete_strengths.htm

My error.:D

Grizz

Cool site, kind of like on online pocket ref.

Fishgut
03-29-2011, 09:39 PM
After searching the web what turns my crank is a site called the nest egg built in Ontario. He states that he used about 150 tons cement for 3500 sq. ft. living space.
He ordered a kit from a company in Colorado called Form-works Building Inc. because he could find no one in Canadian 2002. Personally I would prefer Canadian made, so if anyone knows a company that can do this in Alberta I would chose them.
I have a east west running ridge which will be where I plan to build, also it is above an aquifer so water is not a problem. I am thinking geothermal heat, wood back up as I also have a wood lot on property, interested in your heating system sounds like what I need. I am going solar and wind for power with a backup generator. Because I do not have the time or experience to do it myself, I will need knowledgeable contractors. If things go as planned I wish to start spring 2012, so as you can see I have a some time to plan it. I'm a little eccentric ( my wife thinks I'm crazy lol ) would also be putting in a underground bunker ( for when the world goes poof not 2012 but in the future sometime). Wish to set it up for when the starving masses have to leave the Cities. lol

CaberTosser
03-29-2011, 10:43 PM
I hear you about the eccentric, it's an area familiar to me :). The bunker sounds cool; if I had the $$ I'd be putting a full basement under the garage with extra bat-cave space, and one of those shed style outdoor wood boilers to tie into my existing hot water heating system.

You ever wonder how many of those secret hideaways in Nazi-occupied Europe were already built when the war began? I'd guess many were built afterwards, but surely someones "eccentric" preparedness saved their families and potentially many more when that particular doodie hit the fan.

I've seen some websites where people are really into the preparedness thing, to where you think they'll be disappointed if the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse don't ride down their hometown main street before they die. Preparing can be great; no arguements from me, but some simply obsess about it.

jpohlic
03-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Look into straw bale houses. You can also do some cool things with cob.

You can PM me for hubby's info.

Yes, I've designed some straw bale houses and some with cob which I find fascinating to work with. I have no experience with earth bermed concrete however. One site I suggest looking at for concrete architecture is

http://www.flyingconcrete.com/

amazing stuff, someday I'd like to go down there and work with him.

Fishgut
03-29-2011, 11:32 PM
What happened to the shots of your system still interested. Was always a pipe dream for me to not enough $$$ but I'm selling a few acres for some big money and my dream is about to come true. (Knock on wood) lol.
Hope you get your batcave too.

CaberTosser
03-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Pics are in this thread:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=75243&highlight=slab+heat+boiler

Fishgut
03-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Had a look at your under ground system looks good. Will it work without power by using a wood fired boiler. I am looking for products that will also work without power just in case.

CaberTosser
03-31-2011, 09:29 AM
My system will not work without power; however, it's quite low consumption; the circulators are low draw. If you want a system that works with no power on a wood-fired boiler, you'll need to Google "convection hydronics", or look up publications written by Dan Holohan, who specializes in hot water heating technical writing (and who keeps it entertaining and comprehensible). I've worked on many older heating systems in Calgarys oldest neighborhoods where it was either convection steam, or convection hot water to the big old cast iron radiators. They're beautiful in their simplicity and reliability when installed right. Its just a matter of sizing and grading the pipes correctly and convection does the rest. These old systems were originally coal-fired, and simply converted to nat gas with retrofit burners in later years.