PDA

View Full Version : Well DUH!!

Redfrog
03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
I have a locking gas cap on my truck fuel tank. Problem is I have no key:mad0100:
Anyone know a slick trick to get this thing off without destroying the truck?

Ken07AOVette
03-29-2011, 04:13 PM
With out the key the only way to get is off is to break it off. You need to break out the center piece where the key goes. Once you can get the cylinder out of the cap you are able to then turn the steel part inside of the cap with a big screwdriver or a pair of needle nose pliers.

Hunter Trav
03-29-2011, 04:13 PM
Try a good set of scissors.Open them up, jam in the side that will fit best and go in the farthest, then twist. Those locks aren't that tough...

chubbdarter
03-29-2011, 04:15 PM
plasma torch...kidding
just drive to locksmith....been there done that....10 bucks

Rockymtnx
03-29-2011, 04:29 PM
Try a good set of scissors.Open them up, jam in the side that will fit best and go in the farthest, then twist. Those locks aren't that tough...

Yup even a flat blade screwdriver works well too.

Ggeorge
03-29-2011, 05:12 PM
big flat screwdriver and a hammer
insert driver into key hole
pound with hammer (medium pounding)
twist driver like a key
should open like butter
did it lots as a kid working at the Shell gas station
lots of people loose the key
usuly got a good tip for my efforts

Redfrog
03-29-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks guys.

I didn't lose the key. It isn't my cap.

I had been in B.C. and was thoroughly fed up with the pay at the pump before you get your fuel. Now this may be the way in the big city, but where I come from they pump the fuel and it costs way less than it did in B.C.
So after a couple days of cards not working and paying in side where they work fine I was looking forward to getting back to Canada, where you actually get the product before paying for it. I stopped at Balzac and guess what 'Pay at the Pump. " Tried the cc, nope, tried the debit, nope. went inside worked fine. I pumped my fuel :argue2: and in my foul mood reached up grabbed the cap off the pump and snapped it on. NOT MY CAP!!!!! Some other fool had left his cap there. Now like so many other old fossils I never throw out a key so when I got home and after I tried a couple dozen gas cap keys, it is still on there and I still hate B.C.:mad0100:

densa44
03-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Red have a look on you tube and 14 year old kids will demonstrate how to pick just about any lock. It takes a bit of practice but you can do it.

If you have enough fuel there is a fellow I use in Calgary who can open it for sure. Maybe even make you a key. There is info in the truck that tells the locksmith what key, the door, ignition, trunk, and maybe the gas cap.

Calgary Lock and safe. Lorne LaChapelle.

Redfrog
03-29-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks Densa, I have a set of lock picking rakes from my tow truck days. I'd forgotten them. I called a locksmith. He said it was cheaper to rip it off and buy a new one.:scared:

FCLightning
03-29-2011, 05:50 PM
The big screwdriver and hammer works quite well.

densa44
03-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Being good at picking locks is sometimes a sign of a miss spent youth. Good luck!

harrydude
03-29-2011, 06:38 PM
if you can get into the cap with a big set of pliers....like hog jaws....then just break it of

but a lock pick would be easier

kodiakken
03-29-2011, 07:06 PM
REd

Thasnks for the chuckle!!!!!!!!!
I hate B.C. also when it comes to buying stuff there. I hate feeling like a criminal.

Ken.

deanmc
03-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Lol This thread makes me laugh. Not at your troubles Red but at your hatred for BC. i grew up there and consider myself a refugee of the NDP's reign in that province.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

GPBuzz
03-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah I hate it too.
No snow here, had to rake my lawn last week. Golf course is 2-3 weeks away from opening, open water fishing. Yeah BC sucks:)

Redfrog
03-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Yeah yeah! I lived there for 30 years. My rain gauge was an ice cream bucket.:snapoutofit:

I had bigger snow drifts in the Fraser valley than I've seen in Alberta. About 15% bigger, oh no wait that's the tax on everything you buy.:)

I lived through two ndp boondoggles. the bastids even stole the holes in my pockets and gave them to the homeless.:mad0030:

The rainy season is exaggerated a bit. It is either raining or going to rain.
some days the smog clears enough that you can see all the way to the mountains 1.5 km away. Hwy #1 from Vancouver to Hope is the world's longest parking lot on a long weekend.

The pay at the pump thing is a law. No I'm serious. Some tool fueled up and being a master criminal mind made a run for it. The attendant gave chase with his vehicle and the perp wrecked his car and died in the process. So to protect fuel thieves from killing themselves they passed the 'pay at the pump" law. All the time the attendant was telling me this I'm looking for the down side of the perp getting killed. Yeah i know he was only stealing gas, and racing through town and this was in B.C. so he was probably a Liberal, so does that make me a bad person.:thinking-006:

I've been in Alberta 10 years and don't even own raingear, cause here people have enough brains to come in out of the rain. I was rusting in B.C.

Every place has some good stuff going on. I do miss the fishing and the water to train my retrievers in the winter, but I couldn't go out after supper and fill my deer tags. And a small square bale of straw was $12 Hay was $260 a ton.

GPBuzz
03-29-2011, 11:54 PM
After supper we can go out and shoot Goats, catch wild trout and/or bass.
We call it sunshine tax (15%)
Paying at the pump is ok (why go in and use your debit unless you like store advertising pressure)but what ever happened to the full service station in Canada.
Like you say.. each place has it's advantages, I just like doing mine in + degree C

Fisherpeak
03-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Redfrog,the attendant grabbed hold of the gasthiefs car and was dragged to his death.The gas thief never died.
And I`m glad you guys hate B.C.,more room for me.