PDA

View Full Version : GPS or Sonar?

MattH
03-29-2011, 06:34 PM
What's more important when trying to track down walleye/pike/trout?

huntsfurfish
03-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Sonar is your best friend

sheephunter
03-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Two totally different technologies that serve two totally different functions. Buy a combonation unit and get the best of both worlds. If limited to one, sonar is a no brainer.

dodger
03-30-2011, 06:49 AM
Buy the rite Humminbird sonar unit and I can give you a free GR-16 GPS for it. Then you have the best of both worlds at a great price.

Dodger.

nicemustang
03-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Two totally different technologies that serve two totally different functions. Buy a combonation unit and get the best of both worlds. If limited to one, sonar is a no brainer.

x2

bardfromedson
03-30-2011, 05:03 PM
your pretty much asking what is better a rod or a reel?

-JR-
03-30-2011, 05:40 PM
You need a sonar to find drop offs etc and a Gps to mark the spot ,so you can come back to the same honey hole .

MattH
03-31-2011, 06:01 PM
I realize the question is dumb. I'm new to lake fishing so I'm not sure what's the better strategy. Find structure via GPS and fish those spots, or just go with the sonar and cruise around till I find fish. Not sure if the GPS is necessary if I don't no where to go to begin with.

MattH
03-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Buy the rite Humminbird sonar unit and I can give you a free GR-16 GPS for it. Then you have the best of both worlds at a great price.

Dodger.
What's a GR-16 GPS for?

sheephunter
03-31-2011, 06:03 PM
I realize the question is dumb. I'm new to lake fishing so I'm not sure what's the better strategy. Find structure via GPS and fish those spots, or just go with the sonar and cruise around till I find fish. Not sure if the GPS is necessary if I don't no where to go to begin with.

GPS won't help you find structure. It will take you close to coordinates that someone else gave you or get you back to a spot you fished but without sonar, you truly won't have a clue if you are on the structure or even what depth you are at for that matter. Sonar is your eyes to the world under the surface...GPS only tells you where you are on the surface.