PDA

View Full Version : Crown Land Question

270WIN
03-30-2011, 01:35 PM
Some of the crown quarter sections on my county map are designated as "Crown F. L. &W." Others are not so designated. The abreviation "F. L. & W." stands for Forrestry, Lands and Wildlife" no doubt.

Presumably, the ones with this designation are quarters which Fish and Wildlife has indentified as being lands which for one reason or another represent valuable wildlife habitat although I know there are crown quarters which don't have this designation and which look, to me at least, to be every bit as good habitat as those that do have it. My questions are:

Does anyone on here know why some quarters have this designation and some don't? More importantly, does anyone know whether those quarters which are designated in this manner have some extra protection against such things as developement and/or possible sale to private interests?

I do know that quarters which have this designation can be subject to agricultural dispositions such as grazing leases in the same way that non designated lands can. As well, oil and gas developement can occur on these properties.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.