PDA

View Full Version : Some advise for an accident!

1shotwade
03-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Just wondering if anybody has some advise! I got rear-ended yesterday pretty bad and there were 4 vehicles involved! I was the person who got hit originally and thank god I was in my durango as it knocked my spare tire out from underneath and demolished my rear end as well! here's the kicker and it's kinda funny the car I hit in front of me was being driven by my brother as I had just bought this car for my wife and we were picking it up! I am the only person injured! I can barely walk and it feels like I got a massive hangover! I had minor whiplash before but this is way worse! I got medical attention at the scene and am seeing my Dr. tommorrow! Just wondering how to proceed!:thinking-006:

LeonH
03-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Just wondering if anybody has some advise! I got rear-ended yesterday pretty bad and there were 4 vehicles involved! I was the person who got hit originally and thank god I was in my durango as it knocked my spare tire out from underneath and demolished my rear end as well! here's the kicker and it's kinda funny the car I hit in front of me was being driven by my brother as I had just bought this car for my wife and we were picking it up! I am the only person injured! I can barely walk and it feels like I got a massive hangover! I had minor whiplash before but this is way worse! I got medical attention at the scene and am seeing my Dr. tommorrow! Just wondering how to proceed!:thinking-006:

Did you have legal plates on both vehicles? Did police show up to the accident scene?

In any case inform your insurance company and file all your reports with police department ASAP.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
03-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Hope you fair well.

1shotwade
03-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Did you have legal plates on both vehicles? Did police show up to the accident scene?

In any case inform your insurance company and file all your reports with police department ASAP.

Yes everthing was all legal except I was not given a police report! I have been in touch with my insurance company! The rcmp said I cannot get any info about the other party until they are done there investigation! hopefully tommorrow!

Okotokian
03-30-2011, 04:40 PM
Talk to your insurace company and DEMAND that you don't get tagged for any fault. The guy at the end of the line actually caused the accident and everyones damages are really his fault, but insurance companies don't work that way. Too much trouble. They will say your damages are his fault, your brother's damages are your fault, and damages to anyone in front of your brother are his fault. Make sure the appropriate guy was charged and that your rates don't get jacked up. They tried to pull that with my son when he was rear-ended while stopped and launched into the vehicle in front of him.

airbornedeerhunter
03-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Talk to an accident injury lawyer, give him the particulars of the incident including the police report and let him handle it from there.

1shotwade
03-30-2011, 04:44 PM
ya that's what i told the insurance company but I am dealing with 2 adjusters!! Go figure 1 for each of my cars!

pseelk
03-30-2011, 05:30 PM
As mentioned above get a lawyer immediatley.This does not mean you are out to "get" anybody .This is solely for your protection against the insurance companies involved.I"m speaking fropm expierence here,If they can screw you somehow,rest assured-they will!Good luck.

Redfrog
03-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Get a lawyer. Now . Don't wait till it's a wreck and you can't fix it. Do it now.

Lonnie
03-30-2011, 08:00 PM
As mentioned above get a lawyer immediatley.This does not mean you are out to "get" anybody .This is solely for your protection against the insurance companies involved.I"m speaking fropm expierence here,If they can screw you somehow,rest assured-they will!Good luck.

x2 especially with an injury and as for damages adjusters act as if its coming out of their own pocket and in away it is, the insurance company basically knows what it will cost them and if the ajuster can save them money they get a percentage of what they save them.

T-Bone
03-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Keep a day to day diary..Believe me it will help in your settlement

dumoulin
03-30-2011, 09:09 PM

Been there done that. You're doing it right so far.

1. See a doctor, rest and don't lift anything!
2. Consult with a lawyer
3. Write everything down: pains, aches etc....

Good luck and rest...:)

horsetrader
03-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Don't sign off on anything did that once didn't think I was hurt rear ended signed off after a couple days for cash settlement.Was 20 at that time have suffered with neck and back trouble for 30 years now becareful

dumoulin
03-30-2011, 09:30 PM
Don't sign off on anything did that once didn't think I was hurt rear ended signed off after a couple days for cash settlement.Was 20 at that time have suffered with neck and back trouble for 30 years now becareful

x2

NoKlu
03-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Get a written report of EVERY contact with your Doctors. Soft tissue injuries can cause you pain for the rest of your life. Do not sign off on anything. If they try to give you a check DO NOT CASH IT. Good luck.

simmered
03-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Talk to your insurace company and DEMAND that you don't get tagged for any fault. The guy at the end of the line actually caused the accident and everyones damages are really his fault, but insurance companies don't work that way. Too much trouble. They will say your damages are his fault, your brother's damages are your fault, and damages to anyone in front of your brother are his fault. Make sure the appropriate guy was charged and that your rates don't get jacked up. They tried to pull that with my son when he was rear-ended while stopped and launched into the vehicle in front of him.

This depends on your insurance company. My mother in law was in a similar accident. The guy that rearended her causing her to rearend car infront was at fault for whole thing and was responsible for all damages.
Yes defiantly write everything down. Keep in mind that whiplash now has a cap on how much you can get through the courts. So make sure you get a couple different medical opinions to your condition. Keep a very detailed record for everything.
Good luck hope all turns out okay for you

Lefty-Canuck
03-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Funny you should post this today...I just got my "Without Predjudice" letter from an insurance company representing the girl who ran a stop sign in front of me in August, 4 days before my wedding....still trying to figure out how to proceed with this.

Lefty

ghostguy6
03-30-2011, 11:07 PM
As everyone else stated don’t sign anything! Keep everything documented and keep copies of everything you send to your doctor, insurance company, police ect. You should have a copy of the witness statement you provide at the scene. Memorize that statement ! You will be asked to repeat your story of the events that happened. If there is any deviation in your story it will only make the process last longer. Since there is an injury to yourself you should keep any receipts for pain medications or treatments. You may also want to make a log book of all your doctor’s appointments with the date, time in, time out and have the doctor initial it after each visit.

Since you are injured be careful of what you do to prevent any further injury. With a possibility of a spinal injury I would not suggest lifting anything heavier than a glass of water. As much as it pains me to say, do not drink any alcohol. I do a lot of investigations relating to insurance frauds, drinking while the "injured" person is on painkillers is something we look for. In the event your agent comes to see you and you smell like beer it shows on your character.
Another thing, if you are asked to provide any statements while you are on any medications that you believe may impair your judgement (Percocet, t3's, morphine ect) you do not have to provide that statement until your are no longer under the influence.

Albertadiver
03-30-2011, 11:10 PM
"Without Predjudice"
Lefty

I'm familiar with this process through dispute resolution on construction projects. Basically, you can argue through the 'without predjudice' process and if in the end, no agreement is made, there can be binding arbitration or court that will not consider the discussions that were made previously 'without predjudice'.

GeoTrekr
03-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Lawyer up. When I was rear-ended, I didn't, and I just settled with the insurance company. I was young and stupid, and only now realize what a mistake that was. Most personal injury lawyers working on a contingency will take a seemingly large cut (usually ~33%), BUT you will still come out ahead in the end, and they only get paid if you get paid.

Start your diary, recording every detail of your pain and suffering, and how it prevents you from doing day-to-day tasks, your job, etc.

I am somewhat concerned by the complexity of your collision as well. If you are not well represented, you may end up with the short-end of the stick especially given the familial relationship involved!

Ken07AOVette
03-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Your insurance company will ask you many times over the next few months about your injuries, they take that very seriously.

Shaggy
03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
This is why you need to lawyer up. There are two insurance investigators right? Because there were two accidents. You got rear-ended, then you rear-ended another vehicle.
The other guys claim will be that your injuries were sustained when you hit the vehicle in front of you because you were too close too it. - Not his fault.

I know it sounds far fetched, but it is very likely. They will play dirty and underhanded. Even more so to you than they would to a lawyer representing you.

blackmamba
03-31-2011, 11:45 AM
be pre paried for a very lenghty battle .. I was in the same cituation you are now , and its been 4 years and still not settled , also I hope your not self employed like myself cause this will only add to the complications

Like all others have stated , document document document!!!

good luck ,
mamba

sycosean
03-31-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm going through the process right now. Here's what you need to do.
1) DON"T SIGN ANYTHING!
2) SEE YOUR DOCTOR AND HOPE THEY ARE ON YOUR SIDE.
3) REMEMBER NO INSURANCE COMPANY IS YOUR FRIEND EVEN YOUR OWN! THEY ARE IN THE BUSINESS OF MAKING MONEY!
4) GET A LAWYER. PREFERABLY one the insurance companies hate. ie one who use to work for insurance companies.
5) DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. KEEP A DIARY OF HOW YOUR FEELING WHAT ThINGS YOU CAN AND CAN"T DO ETC. WHAT PEOPLE HAVE SAID WHEN AND WHERE.
6) USE YOUR SECTION B BENEFITS AND USE THEM TO THE MAXIMUM.
7)PREPARE FOR A BATTLE THAT WILL LEAD TO A WAR!

Just to give you an idea I had my accident on April 2, 2004. it will be 7 years this Saturday. We still haven't settled. In my accident I ended up in a coma the insurance company offered $125000. That was in November 2010.

If you have any questions or need information or where to get a lawyer just pm me.

SycoSean

Paul C
03-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Photograph the damage to your vechile and your brothers. The pain you have is it hurting your leg or does your leg feel numb ? If it does I highly recommend this procedure.
Keep a very detailed jounral of your pain and discomfort every day.
The best way to prove soft tissue damage is MRI. It gives very accurate imaging for soft tissue damage. It will cost between 500 to 1000 dollars but will pay off in the long run. You can also view the damage youself on your own computer. They build in the program to run on most computers.
You-Tube has some excellent videos on understanding the images.
I wish you well and take care of your family.:sign0111:

1shotwade
04-05-2011, 04:31 PM
allright my own insurance company is starting to screw with me! Injuries aside they told me they will not cover my windshield that cracked in the accident! Said I don't have glass coverage! Should the other insurance company return my vehicle back to original condition!Also I have aftermarket exaust that was damaged and they want to know how much I paid for it! and that,s all I am covered for! Any advice or just get me a lawyer!!:angry3:

pseelk
04-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Get the lawyer.