PDA

View Full Version : Why only one line?

fishnfoo
03-30-2011, 05:26 PM
One of the regs that I dislike the most is the "one line per angler" rule. This is especially anoying if there is only one or two perple in the boat. One of the most fun aspects of fishing is experimenting with baits and presentaions to figure out what works best. This is not possible if you are fishing alone with one line. Letting anglers use two lines does not change possesion limits, it only reduces ammusement. If the concern is increased catch rates leading to more hooking mortality, then why have free fishing weekend?

I am interested to know how other anglers feel about this issue.

lyons6
03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
I think that would kinda take the sport out of it, it would be nice to throw out a bunch of lines with different lures till u find out what the fish want but that's not fishing (imo)
And what if u hit a douple or tripple I dunno how many lines u want, how would that work? Everyone has there own opinion though

fishnfoo
03-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Lyons6,

I am not advocating an unlimited number of lines, only two per angler. I can even see a maximum of 6 or 8 lines per boat. I agree that you want to keep the sporting aspect in the regs but you can also go too far the other way. How about no sonar? No bait? The problem is that some regs are not based on science or common sense. As an example, in some states it is illegal to troll for fish because it is considered unsporting. I think that the "one line" reg is not based on sound management principals and is just a there because it always has been there.

Cal
03-30-2011, 06:25 PM
In Michigan we were allowed to use two lines each year round and I wouldnt mind seing that happen here. I wonder how fishing 2 lines in the winter is sporting but in the summer its not. On the other hand can you imagine the line tangles at some of the more popular spots if everyones trying to soak a pickerel rig and toss a jig as well, would be a gong show!

tacklerunner
03-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Ice Fishing

AB - 2 lines
BC - 1 line

Open Water

AB - 1 line
BC - 1 line (except 2 lines allowed when 1 person fishing in a boat)

My opinion:

Would like AB to adopt BC's open water rule of 2 rods if 1 person fishing from a boat. Reason: Better chance of locating fish at different depths when trolling from a boat.

Would like BC to adopt AB's ice fishing rule of 2 lines per person through the ice. Reason: Cannot cover much water when ice fishing so better chance at locating fish at different depths.

I believe 1 line per person is plenty in open water when there are 2 or more people in a boat.

I am mostly a C&R fisherman so my reasoning is for locating fish and not that relevant to conservation in my case. But with respect to conservation limits I still feel the above is adequate.

I guess I'm neither too far to the right or left, just right in the middle.

lyons6
03-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Its a lot harder to move around in the winter, thus they allow two lines (I think) and I guess in a boat trolling two lines would be ok. But then where's the line I don't think having one line out with bait and casting another would be fair.

Braun
03-30-2011, 08:25 PM
its not about limits. lets put it this way. If every angler in alberta was catch and release strictly. and you then doubled the amount of anglers by letting them fish with 2 lines, that is still putting alot more pressure on water ways. you said it would not increase catch rates, well actually, thats exactly what it does. you say your reason for having to lines is because it makes it more entertaining because you have a chance to CATCH MORE FISH. if you can catch 40 fish a day at pcr with one rod, youd be able to CATCH MORE with 2.....

according to what you said:
letting people have two rods wont increase fishing pressure (WRONG. 2x the rods = 2 times the fishermen) and you are right mortality rates will stay the same but more fish will die because there are more hookups(ratio of hookups to mortality will still be constant. more hook ups = more dead fish).

the only thing that you said that made sense to me is banning sonar is stupid..... but its a good thing no where in the world they are banned.......

AK47
03-30-2011, 08:33 PM
I agree 100%. This rule makes no sense whatsoever. 2 lines on ice is ok, so why not during open water? why the difference???

chubbdarter
03-30-2011, 08:35 PM
I agree 100%. This rule makes no sense whatsoever. 2 lines on ice is ok, so why not during open water? why the difference???

not long ago we were allowed 3 lines ice fishing

Cal
03-30-2011, 08:39 PM
its not about limits. lets put it this way. If every angler in alberta was catch and release strictly. and you then doubled the amount of anglers by letting them fish with 2 lines, that is still putting alot more pressure on water ways. you said it would not increase catch rates, well actually, thats exactly what it does. you say your reason for having to lines is because it makes it more entertaining because you have a chance to CATCH MORE FISH. if you can catch 40 fish a day at pcr with one rod, youd be able to CATCH MORE with 2.....

letting people have two rods wont increase fishing pressure (WRONG. 2x the rods = 2 times the fishermen) and you are right mortality rates will stay the same but more fish will die because there are more hookups(ratio of hookups to mortality will still be constant. more hook ups = more dead fish).

the only thing that you said that made sense to me is banning sonar is stupid..... but its a good thing no where in the world they are banned.......

Plenty of other places let you troll or fish two lines during the open water season.

nicemustang
03-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Plenty of other places let you troll or fish two lines during the open water season.

X2. I'd love to be able to do that. I say ok for trolling only. Has my vote.

lyons6
03-30-2011, 08:54 PM
Saying lots of other places allow different rules makes no sense! This is not bc, sask, ontario, or the states. Its alberta! Hey maybe we should be allowed to use live bait fish! They do in others places! Or why not allow barbed hooks? Different provinces/states have different laws for a reason

Dust1n
03-30-2011, 08:59 PM
i think because controlling two lines would be diffacult because what if they both tangle and you cut your line and leave it. or if one of the rods get pulled in. it takes away form the sport but i beilve 2 rods in one boat for one angler would be great to try and home in on what they want but then again it takes away form the sport.

Braun
03-30-2011, 09:06 PM
by the way. dont get me wrong. personally I would love to see that rule in place for boating. All i am saying is that I can see why they want to limit it. the reason why I see it for ice. You are limited to virtical jigging. you cant cast or troll. I think the 2 lines in the winter is a halfway meeting for the two line rule.

as far as my earlier post. I was just saying your reasons for debating the issue didnt make sense. Im kind of in the mood to start **** tonight

pikester
03-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Include me in the "for" column. Here's the thing; I doubt anybody can effectively (or responsibly) handle 2 rods at the same time IF YOU'RE ON FISH. Therefore allowing 2 lines essentially becomes an initial fish finding or lure preference decision tool for the angler. Once you figure out where the fish are and/or what they want, it becomes a one rod show. Maybe this means 2 lines for a single angler & single lines for 2 or more anglers in the boat which is fine with me anyway. If 2 guys each have a 1 line out it accomplishes the same thing.

Along the same lines I believe we should be allowed 3 lines for icefishing. I speak for myself as well as all the guys I have fished with & everyone agrees that unless your sitting directly on top of the mother load of walleyes, or in EXACTLY the perfect entry/exit spot near a flat or weed line to intercept every pike in your area (for examples), you could use all the help you can get to locate the right depth, bottom structure. I would love to be able to cover at least 2 different spots with tipups for pike, burbot, or walleye while hand lining or jigging a 3rd hole for perch or whitefish, etc to increase my odds of finding the fish. Once again, just as with the practicality of 2 rods on open water, it becomes nearly impossible to properly fish more than 1 or 2 lines on ice when you are hitting fish on a regular basis so in those situations you end up fishing just the 1 or 2 "hot lines" at that point.

Cal
03-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Saying lots of other places allow different rules makes no sense! This is not bc, sask, ontario, or the states. Its alberta! Hey maybe we should be allowed to use live bait fish! They do in others places! Or why not allow barbed hooks? Different provinces/states have different laws for a reason

I'm all for using live baitfish as well, why not? As for the barbs I dont care one way or the other, never used them even when we were allowed to but plenty of people like them.

fishnfoo
03-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Its a lot harder to move around in the winter, thus they allow two lines (I think) and I guess in a boat trolling two lines would be ok. But then where's the line I don't think having one line out with bait and casting another would be fair.

Who are you being unfair to? What about two slip bobbers at different depths? What about two jigs with different baits? I don't think two lines are too hard to manage.

I think that the argument about not covering area while ice fishing is not completely valid because many people set up shacks and have two lines going day and night (=more fishing pressure). I think that you are accustomed to thinking that two lines is unfair or unsportsman-like. People from Ohio think that anglers who troll are scum of the earth (because it is illegal there). It is all perception. The question is are you damaging the resource. I have fished two lines and it is much more fun especially when you are alone. Also when you get dialed into where the fish are you always revert back to one rod.

Chris K
03-30-2011, 10:44 PM
I have fished lots in States where it is ok to use two rods, and I do prefer it.

Chris K

fishnfoo
03-30-2011, 10:50 PM

In my original post I did not say that two lines will not lead to more fish caught. In fact it will. What I am saying is that this rule doesn't make much sense. if the intention is to limit the number of fish caught, it can be done any number of ways. This includes discouraging new anglers. I agree with limiting possession limits and encouraging catch and release but I don't think the regs should try to dercrease your effectiveness in catching fish. If that is the aim, why not ban sonar? Does it not find structure if not actual fish? Is that not unfair and unsportsman like? Would banning sonar not decrease the amount of fish caught? Banning sonar is no less stupid than than limiting everyone to one rod. If everyone had to use bamboo poles, string and safety pins from shore, we would really reduce the number of fish caught.

I still say two lines per angler in a boat with a max of 4 lines would make sense.

Braun
03-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Oh I can definitely see your point. I would like to see two lines. I still think the one line rule is something that alberta is using not to try to control pressure necessarily. let me throw this down for you..... Poachers, in a two line rule can "find fish easier" and get to poach more fish. the two lines in the winter is a ground to meet halfway with honest fishermen.

Ps banning trolling is stupid. remind me never to fish in Ohio

Braun
03-30-2011, 11:10 PM
In my original post I did not say that two lines will not lead to more fish caught. In fact it will. What I am saying is that this rule doesn't make much sense. if the intention is to limit the number of fish caught, it can be done any number of ways. This includes discouraging new anglers. I agree with limiting possession limits and encouraging catch and release but I don't think the regs should try to dercrease your effectiveness in catching fish. If that is the aim, why not ban sonar? Does it not find structure if not actual fish? Is that not unfair and unsportsman like? Would banning sonar not decrease the amount of fish caught? Banning sonar is no less stupid than than limiting everyone to one rod. If everyone had to use bamboo poles, string and safety pins from shore, we would really reduce the number of fish caught.

I still say two lines per angler in a boat with a max of 4 lines would make sense.

ya I definitely think you missunderstood what I was saying. I was saying it is not about limits on fish. and I dont believe discouraging new fishing people is in any way a tactic to control the number of fish caught. the best way to do that is to educate people. and by saying this: " I don't think the regs should try to dercrease your effectiveness in catching fish." you are saying that you are less effective with one rod..... Fishing is a sport, if every one and every trip was effective, fishing would be no more of a sport than going to your grocery store for some. (there are diehards like us who do it for the pleasure but i would say that we are definately a minority compared to the number of weekend fishermen in alberta.)

Like I said im not fully arguing against you. I wouldnt mind having 2 rods trolling by myself in a boat. Its just the way you try to present your points just rub me the wrong way.....

"Banning sonar is no less stupid than than limiting everyone to one rod. If everyone had to use bamboo poles, string and safety pins from shore, we would really reduce the number of fish caught. "

by this logic we ban automobiles because people die in car crashes. Things dont need to be as extreme of a picture as you paint. its give and take and unfortunately the wholesome honest angler is not always considered in these trade offs

lyons6
03-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Never caught a fish on sonar. Worms,smelts...... Not sonar

fishnfoo
03-31-2011, 12:01 AM
Oh I can definitely see your point. I would like to see two lines. I still think the one line rule is something that alberta is using not to try to control pressure necessarily. let me throw this down for you..... Poachers, in a two line rule can "find fish easier" and get to poach more fish. the two lines in the winter is a ground to meet halfway with honest fishermen.

Ps banning trolling is stupid. remind me never to fish in Ohio

I don't think poachers are concerned about any rules. It is only the honest ones the pay attention and then get annoyed when the rules are inconsistent or don't make sense.

Isopod
03-31-2011, 12:04 AM
I just wish they'd go back to 3 lines in winter... it was nice being able to set up two tip-ups with different baits or at different depths, while sight-fishing for whitefish in tent at the same time. Or if the day was sunny and warm, relaxing on a lawnchair while minding 3 tip-ups...

fishnfoo
03-31-2011, 12:12 AM
ya I definitely think you missunderstood what I was saying. I was saying it is not about limits on fish. and I dont believe discouraging new fishing people is in any way a tactic to control the number of fish caught. the best way to do that is to educate people. and by saying this: " I don't think the regs should try to dercrease your effectiveness in catching fish." you are saying that you are less effective with one rod..... Fishing is a sport, if every one and every trip was effective, fishing would be no more of a sport than going to your grocery store for some. (there are diehards like us who do it for the pleasure but i would say that we are definately a minority compared to the number of weekend fishermen in alberta.)

Like I said im not fully arguing against you. I wouldnt mind having 2 rods trolling by myself in a boat. Its just the way you try to present your points just rub me the wrong way.....

"Banning sonar is no less stupid than than limiting everyone to one rod. If everyone had to use bamboo poles, string and safety pins from shore, we would really reduce the number of fish caught. "

by this logic we ban automobiles because people die in car crashes. Things dont need to be as extreme of a picture as you paint. its give and take and unfortunately the wholesome honest angler is not always considered in these trade offs

I don't think we should ban sonar or use bamboo poles. I am using extreme examples to illustrate a point. The point is that the "one line" rule is an arbitrary regulation designed to limit catch rates. I am expressing an opinion that using two lines would be no worse than any number of other technologies or strategies that we commonly use and have no problem with. Furthermore, I am also exressing and opinion that using two lines is a fun way to fish because it allows you to make side by side comparisions of baits and presentations. I think just about every angler likes to compare and experiment in this way and removing this possibility detracts from the experience.

Speckle55
03-31-2011, 12:13 AM
I just wish they'd go back to 3 lines in winter... it was nice being able to set up two tip-ups with different baits or at different depths, while sight-fishing for whitefish in tent at the same time. Or if the day was sunny and warm, relaxing on a lawnchair while minding 3 tip-ups...

I think it use to be three hooks off one line .. now i think it is 2 hooks off 1 line..

But i would agree to 2 rods in boat for 1 angler

bobalong
03-31-2011, 12:16 AM
X2. I'd love to be able to do that. I say ok for trolling only. Has my vote.

You can actually run two lines/hooks now as long as they are tied to one main line. I run two cranks, a diving and a floating on a three way (top lure floating is on a bearclaw) some time. Guys will run two lines (pickeral rig) all the time, there is no rule on how long your snell line has to be. One line off a planer board, second line off a bearclaw (this snell has to be farily short) between rod and planer board, tangles can be ugly though. This only works with long rods (8-10 ft)in shallow water (less than 6') fishing long flats (you dont want to be turning lots) or mudlines. I actually tried this first in some of your southern reservoirs. This works great for running rigs right up into 2 or 3 feet of water or less and not spooking the fish.

fishnfoo
03-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Include me in the "for" column. Here's the thing; I doubt anybody can effectively (or responsibly) handle 2 rods at the same time IF YOU'RE ON FISH. Therefore allowing 2 lines essentially becomes an initial fish finding or lure preference decision tool for the angler. Once you figure out where the fish are and/or what they want, it becomes a one rod show. Maybe this means 2 lines for a single angler & single lines for 2 or more anglers in the boat which is fine with me anyway. If 2 guys each have a 1 line out it accomplishes the same thing.

Along the same lines I believe we should be allowed 3 lines for icefishing. I speak for myself as well as all the guys I have fished with & everyone agrees that unless your sitting directly on top of the mother load of walleyes, or in EXACTLY the perfect entry/exit spot near a flat or weed line to intercept every pike in your area (for examples), you could use all the help you can get to locate the right depth, bottom structure. I would love to be able to cover at least 2 different spots with tipups for pike, burbot, or walleye while hand lining or jigging a 3rd hole for perch or whitefish, etc to increase my odds of finding the fish. Once again, just as with the practicality of 2 rods on open water, it becomes nearly impossible to properly fish more than 1 or 2 lines on ice when you are hitting fish on a regular basis so in those situations you end up fishing just the 1 or 2 "hot lines" at that point.

good points. well said.

huntsfurfish
03-31-2011, 03:46 AM

Part of me would like to see you allowed another line but when all is said and done I agree with Braun. Those are the pretty much the reasons we are allowed one only.

Kokanee9
03-31-2011, 06:56 AM
Does anyone remember the reasoning behind the change from 3 to 2 lines on the ice?

Big Schnizz
03-31-2011, 10:18 AM
I'd love to see it for shore fishing at the very least. That way you can have one still rig (pickeral rig, slip bobber, etc) and you can be casting with another.

chubbdarter
03-31-2011, 12:41 PM
You can actually run two lines/hooks now as long as they are tied to one main line. I run two cranks, a diving and a floating on a three way (top lure floating is on a bearclaw) some time. Guys will run two lines (pickeral rig) all the time, there is no rule on how long your snell line has to be. One line off a planer board, second line off a bearclaw (this snell has to be farily short) between rod and planer board, tangles can be ugly though. This only works with long rods (8-10 ft)in shallow water (less than 6') fishing long flats (you dont want to be turning lots) or mudlines. I actually tried this first in some of your southern reservoirs. This works great for running rigs right up into 2 or 3 feet of water or less and not spooking the fish.

this is a question...not a judgement

doesnt 2 crank baits exceed the amount of hooks allowed on a fishing line?

tacklerunner
03-31-2011, 12:47 PM
this is a question...not a judgement

doesnt 2 crank baits exceed the amount of hooks allowed on a fishing line?

Only if each has the original 2 trebles (4 total). If he took off 1 front treble on one crank he would be within the allowable 3 hook limit.

chubbdarter
03-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Only if each has the original 2 trebles (4 total). If he took off 1 front treble on one crank he would be within the allowable 3 hook limit.

sorry i didnt read that in his post....alls good thanks