PDA

View Full Version : Elk at hwy 2 and Mullhurst,Millet turn off !!!

saltwater cowboy
03-30-2011, 07:22 PM
On my way to Gull this morning I saw 2 elk feeding about 200 yards off Hwy 2. There was only a 3 strand wire fence so I was pretty surprised. On the way home I noticed there was an elk farm 2 quarters over. Don't want to get in a peeing contest :argue2: with the elk farmers but anyone think these are wild ?I know there was a heated thread not to long ago over elk and if they ever escape.

IR_mike
03-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Willing to say they were wild.

There are small scattered/transient groups of elk all around that area.

bushnell
03-30-2011, 08:07 PM
I've seen a couple of them in that area a few times this winter. Usually a couple of cows Seen more deer in that area.

Skinnydipper
03-30-2011, 08:18 PM
I saw a bull last year just north of the ranch too.

Lefty-Canuck
03-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Yah they are wild not escapees, I see them all the time. Actually there are 6 there by my guess but not always at the bale that is out in the feild. I saw those 2 this morning too :)

The bull that was there got shot by the elk farmer, he got a "special permission" to shoot him cause he was messing with his fences.....crap if you ask me....

Saw lots geese flying around Red Deer and south, some on the pond at the Leduc golf course too trying to "will" open water.

Lefty

Alberta Bigbore
03-30-2011, 08:55 PM
I see them almost everyday on the way back from Calgary mon-fri...... usually feeding on the hay bale in the 1st of 2 fields before the elk farm

Rockymtnx
03-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Yes these are wild elk. They have been hanging around for 4 years now.
This year more people have seen them because of the bale that Char-Mar greenhouse left for them just off the highway.
Most people know that elk farms attract wild elk. With in a 3 mile radius of these elk there is 3 seperate elk farms.
Sadly there is no open season in the WMU that these elk are in. Another thing too, the land where these elk wintered this year, the owners are DEAD agaisnt hunting. I know a few people that have got yelled at for watching deer off the road on their property.

Actually there are 6 there by my guess but not always at the bale that is out in the feild.
Actually there is 11 of them that I know of.

The bull that was there got shot by the elk farmer, he got a "special permission" to shoot him cause he was messing with his fences.....crap if you ask me....
Not so sure about that. Sounds like a urban legend to me. I know for a fact the Char-Mar bull is still alive and doing well. Or at least he was yesterday.