PDA

View Full Version : Do house doorbells wear out?

Sundancefisher
03-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Mine stopped working. I opened up this inside part...no dust...connections are good.

Checked the outside...the button buzzes but no sound inside. Opened it up...a few cob webs...otherwise clean.

Any ideas? I would rather reuse this one if I can just get it to work.

pope
03-30-2011, 08:14 PM
They wear out, quite common, but it could be either your chime or your transformer - google it and you will see how to fix it. I just replaced both, my chime seized (only had a buzzing noise) and it was only a few years old. Also, there are different sized transformers, the chime packaging tell ya what size you need.

horsetrader
mine stopped working. I opened up this inside part...no dust...connections are good.

Checked the outside...the button buzzes but no sound inside. Opened it up...a few cob webs...otherwise clean.

Any ideas? I would rather reuse this one if i can just get it to work.

could be transformer or electro mag depending on what style

nick0danger
yup, ill come replace it for a small fee, ill provide alberta outdoorsmen forum references as well.

Willowtrail
03-30-2011, 08:22 PM
My first try would be to touch the wires together directly outside and see if you get sound, if yes, replace button, if no then go with what Horsetrader said.

FishingMOM
03-31-2011, 12:47 AM
yup, ill come replace it for a small fee, ill provide alberta outdoorsmen forum references as well.

Pay nickodanger in perch! That should cover his small fee. :sHa_shakeshout:

HunterDan
03-31-2011, 07:13 AM
Time to upgrade
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=doorbell&x=0&y=0&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

chopperman
03-31-2011, 07:27 AM
Time to upgrade
http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=doorbell&x=0&y=0&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Bought this one for our new (to us) home.....its awesome! no mistaking that there is someone at the door when a elk or turkey or moose etc. gets going ha!

Sundancefisher
03-31-2011, 08:03 AM
Bought this one for our new (to us) home.....its awesome! no mistaking that there is someone at the door when a elk or turkey or moose etc. gets going ha!

LOL...

I would totally use the loon call doorbell.

But seriously...who on earth would ever want the coyote...let along crows...crows....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Extreme-Dimension-Sportsmans-Doorbell/733882.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Ddoorbell%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHead er%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=doorbell&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Redfrog
03-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Coyote puts the flight to the feet of salesman:sHa_shakeshout:

winged1
03-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Mine stopped working. I opened up this inside part...no dust...connections are good.

Any ideas? I would rather reuse this one if I can just get it to work.

99% of the time it's in the mechanics. I second shorting the switch to see if you get a tone. Check your breaker just in case. Many times the doorbell transformer is connected along with the utility recepticle at or near the panel.

Spennydubs
03-31-2011, 09:17 AM
They crap out!! Just replaced mine yesterday!

alittlej
04-01-2011, 11:54 AM
i would wait untill after the sesson of want-to-be-over paid under worked MP's has ended before replacing the door bell...:angry3:

ccmckee
04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Check your door switches make sure they arentstuck in the "on" position, this can cause the solenoid in the chime to burn out and or the tranformer as well.If you havea multimeter you could check for power 24vac that will tell you if the transformer is good.

Sundancefisher
04-10-2011, 11:11 AM
So the wife says this morning...fix the doorbell or else.

So I research it a bit more on line (ya...I should of done a little more poking around when it first went).

We have a Panasonic KX-T30865 Easa-phone.

When reading the manual and description on line it is talking about it being a two way intercom system. So I start thinking...why an intercom...and then...if an intercom...where is it tied into?

Then it dawns on me...that there is a extra phone line in a room with a cord going to somewhere...never bothered looking and the old owners never mentioned it.

So low and behold...it ended up at a cheap phone...that was not working. So I swapped it out with another cheap phone in the house and now...push the button and the phone inside rings.

Eureka! Now I can go ice fishing :sHa_shakeshout:

http://www.panasonictelephonesystems.com/catalog/dept_id_1369/model_KX-T30865.htm

So LOL...it turns out my doorbell never worked...as we thought. This was just for show.

sinawalli
04-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Be sure to have it fixed before all the election campaigners come a calling!!:sign0176: