PDA

View Full Version : Removing Epoxy

PJT
03-30-2011, 08:16 PM
I rcently purchased a rifle that the previous owner had epoxied a metal part to.

Any thoughs on removing or breaking the epoxy bond??

Thanks

horsetrader
03-30-2011, 08:23 PM
I rcently purchased a rifle that the previous owner had epoxied a metal part to.

Thanks

Try acetone should soften epoxy

spurly
03-30-2011, 08:55 PM
depends what you want to separate, and how it was epoxied together.if you can get it into a deepfreeze, good and cold, you may be able to twist, or give a blow with a rubber hammer, depending on your situation.

walking buffalo
03-30-2011, 09:27 PM

Thanks

It's hard to understand from the question just what you are trying to do.

Both of these suggestions are good. ^^ You'll know which one is right for the job. Both of them have potential to cause collateral damage.

Freeze and force to break bond due to differing contaction rates of the materials.

Acetone is the solvent for disolving/removing epoxy. This won't work quickly on well cured epoxy.

I would consider using a rotary tool ( dremel, foredom ) to remove as much of the epoxy before trying these other suggestions.

Take the gun to your dentist, they can pull that bugger apart. :D Seriously....

antlercarver
03-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Get some epoxy and after you glue together materials similar to the ones you want to separate, then do your own experiments on how to separate them. A small torch will soften epoxy to the point that it easy to separate.

PJT
03-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Tthanks for the thoughts. The former woner put a homemade barrel harmonic balancer in it. He sleeved the end of the barrel and attached it wth epoxy. It is the sleeve I would like to remove

Big Bull
03-31-2011, 08:17 AM
I've had pretty good success softening epoxy with a heat gun and then removing it with a putty knife.

ryanhall
03-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Its been said above by WB but if you combine the efforts of the Rotary tool and the acetone you should have pretty decent luck. I have found that the epoxy hardens with a smooth non absorbent surface that won't take the acetone as well. If you rough it up even with a small file and then wrap the targeted part with a paper towel soaked in acetone you should have pretty good luck. Just watch the ventilation it will burn.

RUBBERDUCKY
04-01-2011, 12:37 PM
easy off oven cleaner, i use it to clean epoxy off interiors of trucks, just rough up the surface and spray it on, leave it sit for a few minutes, then gently pick it off with a small screwdriver or blade.