PDA

View Full Version : Need some positive reinforcement!

Rob Miskosky
03-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Please remind me why I spend the money and time I do keeping this forum running. I swear, there are many nights, and tonight is one of them, when I would just as soon shut it down and walk away. If you knew how much goes on behind the scenes here, you would know what I'm talking about. Tonight, I'm embarrassed to be an Outdoorsman.

Just reminders please, no questions.

jts1
03-30-2011, 09:45 PM
You SIR have created something great here with this forum. And I have a feeling you are about to get flooded with reasons why. My hats off to you....

Lefty-Canuck
03-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Well I am fairly new here and I really enjoy logging in to see whats going on around the province. I think most guys have their heads but there are a few who don't. Don't let those few spoil the job you are doing.

Keep up the good work! without people like you this wouldn't be a go.

Lefty

roadkill
03-30-2011, 09:49 PM
If nothing else (and besides all the political crap that gets slung every time I show up on a thread), there's the fact that I've learnt so much about the outdoors 'craft' just from coming to this site, and I know that I'm not alone. This site helped me get over my initial Newb fears to the point where I can actually discuss *some* aspects of the outdoors lifestyle with a little bit of knowledge to back me up.

I'd say that every story like mine helps make it worthwhile.

coyotekiller
03-30-2011, 09:49 PM
this is a great thing u did. the forum is great

Twisted Canuck
03-30-2011, 09:54 PM
I met my wife through this forum.....

Ok, not really, but I've made some good friends here, and for the most part you've got a forum populated with good people who are decent, dedicated outdoorsmen and women. As well, I gotta say I've been really impressed with the generous and giving nature of board members, in various charitable causes.

Take a deep breath, count to 10, and keep up the good work on this forum. TC

flyguyd
03-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Like the priest said when i got married; your gonna have a little bad mixed in with the good.:sHa_sarcasticlol: All in all the forum is a great place for a bunch of sometimes like minded guys n gals who are passionate about the outdoors to get together and share their lives and stories . Without this place where would we go for a little down time.:) Youve got a good thing going here Rob, well done:thinking-006:

KWO
03-30-2011, 09:59 PM
I have been to more than a few forums and this is the only one I find consistently valuable. Yes, there are a fair amount of threads that are idiotic and basically amount to entertainment, but there many more threads that are interesting and have value. This may just be a bulletin board for some people, but for many more you have created a community. Being a part of that community has made me a better hunter, a better angler and a better advocate for our outdoors. You are right - much goes on behind the scenes that must make this gig suck at times. But you need to know that there is also much gratitude and appreciation felt by this community that often goes unexpressed. Thank you Rob. I appreciate what you have created and what it must take to keep it going.

- Kerry Olsen

Jamie
03-30-2011, 10:00 PM
I leave town for one day and look what happens
Fantastic place rob, frustrating I am sure, but still the best site around
Jamie

bushnell
03-30-2011, 10:01 PM
This forum allows like minded people express opinions on what they love doing. I for one don't post alot, but probably spend far too much time reading what others have to say. I have learned alot from other peoples opinions, and that makes this forum a great place to be.

ksteed17
03-30-2011, 10:03 PM
im more of a "reader" than a "poster" on here, but ive learned a ton! from alot of experienced guys on here. Great forum great job!

catnthehat
03-30-2011, 10:06 PM
I really don't know what to say rob, except that this is a VERY good place to come and converse with others about everything outdoors - and some stuff not!:)
Sure, the political stuff gets a little out of hand, but for the most part we behave ourselves!:budo:
You do a great service to all outdoorsmen by keeping this place afloat!
Cat

CaberTosser
03-30-2011, 10:08 PM
I spend so much time here, I convinced myself that a 2 year AO subscription was the least I could do at the Boat & Sportsmans show. It's like a caffiene fix I need frequently.

Hats off Rob. It's kind of like raising kids; certainly trying at times, but worth it.

Springer
03-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Not sure what went on here this evening , but your right ,as Outdoorsmen we should be more supportive of each other. I wonder if the same words would be exchanged in person compared to being able to sit at the PC at home and partake in the jibberish,

Rob I have been following this site since shortly after its creation . I have learned lots, shared some and made some great friends and attended some memorable hunts.
Thanks for your high tolerance level. I for check in daily to check the hunting news and without A.O i may suffer some withdrawal.

Springer..

IR_mike
03-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Best site on the net!!!

Keeps us up to date with how the wildlife is doing around the province....invaluable tool for planning draws and hunting trips.

Meet great people.

The positive far outweigh the negative in regards to questions asked and advice given.

It is sites like this that will ensure the continuation of hunting and help bring people into the sport as well as the chance to increase the awarness of the world around them.

Great work!!!

Thanks.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
03-30-2011, 10:14 PM
I think it would be foolish to get rid of the forum . Tons of great information and stories . Ive been here quite a few years now and followed the forum for many years before that but never joined. Ive seen lots of Colorful threads and members over the years .

It almost makes one wonder if sold a 10 dollar membership or something to the forum if you really wanted to be here would be a great place with alot less BS . But its pretty simple to ignore those type of people and posts .

Rob I can honestly say you and the other moderators do a fantastic job , here . I'm sure some days , nights , weeks , are harder then others , but Remember the real reason for guys and gals like you guys is why you have this forum . And I think that out ways all the Bull *hit any day of the week .

I tip my hat to yall .

Jamie
03-30-2011, 10:14 PM
If some one could email me their email addy, I can send a pic that needs to be posted on this thread
One look at this pic and everyone will see why this board is here
Just pm me and I will forward it

Thanks
Jamie

FishBrain
03-30-2011, 10:15 PM
This forum helped teach me how to hunt, It helped me meet some fantastic people, some of them being good friends. Heck it has now got me addicted to fishing also. Because of this forum I am not as boring as I was!!

32-40win
03-30-2011, 10:15 PM
I've found a lot of good info on this site, that I never knew about, til I started reading it. This site has a few long-winded arguments go a little overboard, but, no worse than any other site I have read. Most of the nutbusting that goes on here is reasonable, there are far worse around that don't get moderated.
You are doing a good job of keeping it in check, it is appreciated.

Albertadiver
03-30-2011, 10:18 PM
Well Rob, quite frankly I think this place has evolved into a truly world class outdoorsman site. I mean that very sincerely. There are thousands of members, and since I stumbled across the site doing some googling one day, I've been hooked.

For the forum members reading this, consider purchasing a subscription to AO to help Rob keep this place open. I have.

I have met some FANTASTIC people through this forum. I've learned a great deal about hunting, fishing, and shooting. Where I'm weak in experiance I've been able to do a ton of research through threads and through PM's. Where I have some experiance and strengths, I am able to contribute and help others as well. I would never be able to learn as much as I have without this forum, even with other sites and books and so on.

The MODS have a thankless job, and I think they do the best they can. With a site with so many members, you get some real special people that should have the keyboard taken away from them for good, but with the good comes the bad.

Remember this thread?
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=38061

We were able to have a real impact. Felt good to be a part of it.

And another similar thread to this one
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=50828

Alberta Bigbore
03-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Cuz you hate it so much you love it!! you Love to hate it!! The members here have put AO in the papers!

It doesnt matter where you go... what you do... where you work... or where you play... there will always be a select few that will rub you the wrong way.
Thats the way the world goes around.

densa44
03-30-2011, 10:22 PM
You have helped save a man's life, what can be more important than that?

Maybe be there is a way we can get you some help. I bought a subscription to your magazine, is there more we can do?

Do you know of a better site?

I don't.

Steven Noel
03-30-2011, 10:23 PM
As a youth outdoorsmen, I have found this forum to be a great resource of information and guidance. I greatly apprecaite the work done to allow acess to this and I hope you realise the positive impact it makes.

Maybe we need a 'No Post' policy on political threads.

Albertadiver
03-30-2011, 10:26 PM
You have helped save a man's life, what can be more important than that?

It is pretty cool that someone was able to vent a bit on the general section, and at the same time get some very great advice. I think we really had a real effect with this person, even though it's 'the internet'.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=82828

I've taken advantage of the forum in a similar vain when I stumbled across a suicide out camping

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=31800

And hey, who can forget the infamous barbell thread! Best locked thread of all time period!!

vcmm
03-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Rob; All I can say is I got more good advice and comments from AO members than bad. But the best thing is the forum helped me get three under age kids for the most part more interested in the outdoors,shooting and hunting than x-box etc, and to me and HOPEFULLY TO YOU thats almost PRICELESS!!
THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH
vcmm

wwbirds
03-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Because with 23,151 members the troublesome ones are a very small fraction of the membership. It is somewhat like LEO work of any kind you get into it to serve and protect our heritage but spend 90% of you time with lawbreakers and dealihng with the politics so the good is often overshadowed byy the immediate concerns.
No lib court system or senators to derail the purpose of this forum in Alberta so zero tolerance would seem to be a solution. You are paying the bills so call the shots.
Most will understand and the rest don't matter.
My 2 cents

Albertadiver
03-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Posted on behalf of Jamie:

rob, it's deer and pics like this that make this board so valuable, it's all about communication. 12 years ago no one would have seen a pig like this"
Btw this deer will go top 10 ever taken in Alberta

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr214/albertadiver/photo.jpg

hayseed
03-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Two Words... SPRING FEVER....good always vs. evil here Rob, just cabin fever always prevails, the sun has been shining AO, LETS TAKE A BREATH, and take the outdoors in, and get outside...:sHa_shakeshout:

blackpheasant
03-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Rob, your hard work and dedication to this site is very much appreciated, so much good info. to be found here it's incredible, best site on the web bar none, it would be a huge loss to Outdoorsman if you were to shut it down, sometimes we forget how good something is until we don't have it anymore, thanks again...

New Hunter Okotoks
03-30-2011, 10:40 PM
A lot of the garbage that goes on here is offset by a ton of unbelievable generosity and comradery that makes me proud to be on this forum and very appreciative of the efforts and costs that you bare to make it happen. The stollery fund raiser, shooting range cleanups, knowledge sharing etc. are all perfect examples of this.

There have also been a few humbling moments that many,including myself have experienced as a result of this forum. Whether it's somebody seeking advice or some friendly conversation who may be depressed,going through a breakup,job loss or any other very personal matter.

I have helped others on this forum without having ever met them before, and I have had it repaid to me tenfold.

For the most part,I am surprised by how much our community will come together as a direct result of your forum Rob. For that I Thank You and hope that you see that your efforts and costs are appreciated. I hope maybe you see it that way too Rob and keep AO going.

Jamie
03-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Now, that's a DEER!!!
Alberta.. Thanks for the help. I am getting better on this IPhone.

So many things to be grateful and thankful for due to A/O
My first antelope
Our fire
My mom
Many new friends

Much more than what I posted, but I am sitting doing this on my phone out in prince Rupert. Just know it is all appreciated

Jamie Hunt

Steven Noel
03-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Yet another perfect example of the great good done by you, your moderators and sponsors, and the greater Alberta Outdoorsmen Community.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=87402

When was the last time you walked into WSS and they said "Oh, you want to get into shooting. Here's a fully functioning shotgun to get you started. Don't feel obligated to buy anything. We just want you to enjoy it."

Stop Staring at my Rack
03-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Rob,
Have to say this forum has helped me keep myself going when I just really want to give up.... Not sure what I would have done without it, being sick and unable to do a lot of the things I used to, I can come on here and read great stories, find info, or just chill. Met a lot of great people on here. After spending years having others not understand my love for hunting and the outdoors, this has been a great place to enjoy the company of others with similar intrests. This forum is a great place to visit and enjoy.... keep up the great work!!!

ishootbambi
03-30-2011, 11:23 PM
im gonna go with the answer of keeping outdoorspeople informed. very recently, the potatogate scandal was brought to our attention in time to do something.....same with the current situation on bill 11, and the possibility of the wainwright hunt being cancelled. still in the air on the last two, but the many calls and emails sent because of this place is making a difference.

besides, i have so much down time at work id be bored outta my mind sitting in farmers fields looking at cows.

Ken07AOVette
03-30-2011, 11:53 PM
The donations that went to the Stollery Childrens Hospital.

The donations that went to the Paradise Valley Fire Department.

The hunt for Norm Gerwing. That was AMAZING how people came together so fast.

The PIF thread that allowed dozens of members to meet, shake hands, exchange gifts and become friends.

Me getting to meet and become friends with several dozen people that I likely would never have met, if not for your forum.

None of these things would have happened, without your forum.

LeonH
03-30-2011, 11:56 PM
Rob,

What you have created with this site is a community, the outdoorsmen community. And there are endless benefits for all of us forum members (one way or another) that this site offers. So, to you sir one great thank you.

I have to say also that I am really proud to be part of such great group of fine people that this site joins together.

Leon

horsetrader
03-31-2011, 12:11 AM
Must admit I've argued with a lot of people on this forum, and made a lot of friends a lot of them guy's I had arguments with. Fighting or not you've made the best forum out there. Only family acts like this, nobody here I wouldn't go to the wall for you done a good thing Rob THANKS!!!!!!!!

FishingMOM
03-31-2011, 12:28 AM
Rob,

I am a single mom of one little boy who loves the outdoors. Members have stepped up to help encourage him.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=82859&highlight=Catching+Birds

JENNIFER

HunterDave
03-31-2011, 02:52 AM
You created a forum that +23K members can participate on. :happy0034:

Probably over half of them, including me, would have never known what a mojito was if it wasn't for you. :lol:

winged1
03-31-2011, 06:03 AM
Please remind me why I spend the money and time I do keeping this forum running. I swear, there are many nights, and tonight is one of them, when I would just as soon shut it down and walk away. If you knew how much goes on behind the scenes here, you would know what I'm talking about. Tonight, I'm embarrassed to be an Outdoorsman.

That's the price of an open forum without qualifications. Been there done that. A big part is the 'synergy' of your moderating team. You shouldn't be dealing with day to day posts, that's for moderators. I stiil don't understand why this site hasn't developed into a leading educational tool for those seeking moral or ethical direction.

timba
03-31-2011, 07:21 AM
Fantastic place rob, frustrating I am sure, but still the best site around
Jamie

x2 I come to the site at least 4 times a day to see whats going on.

timba

JohninAB
03-31-2011, 07:27 AM
Have met some great people on this site and learned a lot. Best forum out there.

I-Love-Eyes
03-31-2011, 07:28 AM
Rob and all the mods too!

I stopped by the AO booth at the Edmonton Sportsman Show. I had a chat with the fellow there (I am sorry, I didn't catch his name) and he said that your were at the show, but currently in a meeting with your mods. I had asked him to pass on how much I enjoy AO magazine and this forum and also, how much I appreciate all the time and effort put in by you and the moderators. I am sorry that you were busy doing "forum stuff" that day. I would loved to have met you and express my appreciation in person. So I will post a very large
THANK YOU!!!
for everything that you do here.

You deserve a big :sLo_BigBearHug: and a :love0025:

Regards, I-L-E

WayneChristie
03-31-2011, 07:37 AM
Ive met a lot of good people through the forum, and learned a lot since I found it. Thank you and keep up the good work!

bisonhunter
03-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Rob,
if you consider just how many people here use this forum on a DAILY BASIS it is mind boggling. There is no doubt it is a ton of work, and it can be beyond frustrating, but some of us just need it.
Maybe consider it your good deed for the day...... every day. We sure appreciate your efforts.
Thanks a million,

Bison

Slash8
03-31-2011, 07:41 AM
My old gramps told me years ago, 10% of life is what happens to ya along the way, The other 90% is how you deal with it, Hang in there. This is an awesome forum. A true one of a kind.

rhuntley12
03-31-2011, 07:43 AM
I take a look at first page of general discussions and I see threads like these three. There are many crappy threads, flame wars, etc. I don't know about anyone else but when I think about all the threads I have read on this forum over the last few years I don't remember the crap. I remember the pay it forward/stollery hospital, people helping someone get a vehicle, etc.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=87402
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=87345
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=87410

I'm very excited about this, as I really wanted to go last year. Look at Sheepguides post, that is what it's all about. (#4)
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=87073

bagwan
03-31-2011, 07:52 AM
My 2 cents as well. I'm an ancient fellow compared to a lot of the young bucks and gals on here but I've also connected and learned from others on here and can get out (so to speak) on top of that mountain or over ther next hill through the stories that folks tell. Thank you and the mods for keeping this wonderful forum going.

densa44
03-31-2011, 07:52 AM
This site you have created has members on it from Europe, and Eastern Canada and I'll bet that if you asked a question about nuclear fission you get a very intelligent answer. With over 25K active members you represent a mid sized city of experts and students. What is more important?

How about taking a break and shoot some geese in Sask next week?

Neil Waugh
03-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Not only is the AO Forum a wonderful place for exchange of outdoors information and comradeship it has evolved into THE!!! most important lobbying and political pressure platform for outdoors issues in Alberta.
And when the collective membership is energized and gets rolling has been able to calm down some of the worst stunts of the present Alberta government.
Think Open Spaces, Potatogate, Bill 11 and I'm sure there are more.
Waiting in the wings is a carpet-bombing of the dead ass Alberta Conservative MPs over the Wainwright closure once the election is done and dusted.
Yup, I'm sure there are nights when Rob wants to pull the plug.
But the good sure outweighs the bad by a long shot.
Just my humble O.

DarkAisling
03-31-2011, 08:09 AM
It almost makes one wonder if sold a 10 dollar membership or something to the forum if you really wanted to be here would be a great place with alot less BS . But its pretty simple to ignore those type of people and posts.

Another alternative for generating a little more revenue would be to offer a "paid" membership in addition to the free one. I'm on a couple of other forums that have tiered memberships, and the paid ones usually include a little more pm storage, and a couple of other options in the control panel.

I'm sure there are a few people---myself included---who don't own businesses and don't need advertising space, that would like to sponsor the forum.

Rob . . . it is okay to step away from the computer and let the mods handle it. You can't do it all, and you don't have to do it all.

My favourite mock-latin phrase is most appropriate: "illegitimus non carborundum."

artie
03-31-2011, 08:13 AM
It sounds like you have not had the time to enjoy the fruits of your labour lately. Take time to enjoy some of the great things on the forum. Last year alpine guy put on a packing clinic and I went not because I am going to be a packer or ever have horses but to see something different and meet new guys. It was great. Try and make it this year.
When I first started on this forum I had one fellow attack me as I had asked if bear spray would freeze in the winter if you were carrying it inside your coat. Not an unreasonable question I thought and I wondered what gives. Maybe I should quit the forum. But no why let one guy wreck something I like. So now I do not open some threads that I know will get to me. I was involved in the education field for 37 years and learned most people are great but there are some people who are out to lunch. They get theirs in the end. Remember you always have the delete or banned button to use.

Ryry4
03-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Rob, this site is an invaluable tool to us sportsmen and women. A million thank you's. When you put as many members as this site has together, no doubt you're going to have some clashes of opinions. But as far as I can tell the good far out weighs the bad. We have been able to keep our government accountable for some of the stuff they're trying to pull, just from the ability of people to get the word out quick through the board.

Keep up the good work, and keep your head up. :)

Redfrog
03-31-2011, 08:45 AM
"The purpose of Alberta Outdoorsmen is to keep the hunters, anglers and trappers of Alberta up-to-date on the news, issues and events that surround hunting, fishing and trapping in this province. We provide you with thought-provoking articles that challenge you to respond with your own thoughts, educating ourselves as we grow together.
As a small group in a society that has become more urbanized over the past several years, it is our duty to maintain our rights as outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen to hunt, fish and trap in this province. In order to do this, we have to become equally knowledgeable as those who would rather see us fail. For far too long we have stood by and watched those who oppose our actions gather knowledge and strength. Because of this, we continually lose the battles to maintain our rights to hunt, fish and trap as our parents and grandparents did for so many generations. It was not long ago that the killing of a deer or the taking of some fish was the staple that fed the family throughout the year.

Animal rights groups live under a bambi umbrella preaching their beliefs while denouncing those of us who hunt, fish or trap. Together we must try to educate those who do not understand the heritage that has been passed on to us, and it is here, within the pages of Alberta Outdoorsmen, that we hope to do so.

This discussion can only help in our own battle to maintain our right to put wild game on our tables. So please, lets win the small battles together so that in the end we can claim a victory in the biggest battle - the right to maintain our hunting, fishing and trapping heritage."

This is the mission statement for AO Magazine. Time and Technology has made it possible for that magazine to be interactive through the creation of these forums. I see new hunters/fishermen on this board who i otherwise would have no contact with. The board offers us an opportunity to educate the newbies, especially the kids and women, so when an issue comes up that needs affects us we can have a cross section of the public informed, instead of a small group with a narrow perspective.

This board offers us a vehicle to communicate with like minded people, educate newbies, discuss, important issues, and maybe most importantly a place to be informed and develop a strategy to deal with those who would take away our heritage to hunt. trap and fish.

It puts a human face to the image of "Bubba" when we have threads like the PIF for the Stollery, or when a member is in need, whether that need is a job, information, advice or some strong support in times of extreme distress.
We are like an extended family, and as such we have uncle Harry who talks too much, and those idiot cousins from the next province that show up just to catch all our fish. We even have a few Liberals who come to learn the fine art of debate. We have our disagreements and we certainly have our share of misfits.

It's sorta like a herd of horses. some want to be race horses and some ...well
they just want to be:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/Redfrog/mule015.jpg

I think the mods here are very tolerant and put up with a lot of trash. I have an idea what goes on "behind the curtain" and it takes a special kind of person to deal with some members. The sad thing is these same misfits would never behave in person the way they do on the board.

Your mission statement is clear and I think you've done an outstanding job creating a place for outdoorsmen to gather and exchange ideas and information. I know a lot of us would not be aware of much of the attack on our rights without the AO forum.

ryanhall
03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
Rob,
It is my opinion, and only an opinion, that you have recognized the need for hunters, trappers, and fishermen/women to stand as a united front to face the people that threaten our heritage. This is likely why you started this forum. It is also quite likely that this is why you find it frustrating when people are arguing over petty things and pouncing on one another rather than looking for a common message. When I look at these forum discussions, and as I am sure you know, I have been in a few, I can see where some individuals are actually communicating and learning. The unfortunate part of your job is you only get to deal with the few that are causing problems, (I am not innocent of this) and don’t get to see all the people that quietly push back from their computer and say “hmmm I never thought of that”. No matter what you do, when you collect 23K people on a forum that deals with a subject they are passionate about, someone will have a difference of opinion. So with that in mind remember that you are running this forum for the folks that do take time to consider others opinions and learn by communication.
Even though I don’t always agree with what is said on here. Keep up the good work, the day will come where we as “outdoorsmen” are dependent on this forum to unite.

Ryan

S-in-Cochrane
03-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Gotta say, I'm on this forum a lot. Don't post much compared to some but I bet I'm on here just as much throughout the day.

This site makes sitting at a desk all day tolerable, the pictures of everyone's adventures etc are awesome.

I've met a few people from this site, been out hunting for the first time last year. Things I wouldn't have been able to do on my own due to a lack of knowledge.

This forum made this thread possible:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=84717

Just wanted to say thanks!

__
S

The Fisherman Guy
03-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Because shutting what you have created down, would be letting them win.

Sorry to hear of the BS that goes on behind the scenes Rob, my hat is off to you and the moderators who police our community and keep this place what it has become today.

Thank you Rob, Lilsundance, Morbius131, Brady, Rockymtnx, Brownbear416, and Admin. We all appreciate your work here.

Now for those of you reading this who don't have a subscription to Alberta Outdoorsmen Magazine - Click the Subscribe button at the top of this page and make it happen.

Albertadiver
03-31-2011, 09:04 AM
[B]
Probably over half of them, including me, would have never known what a mojito was if it wasn't for you. :lol:

I need to take you for a whiskey some day sir!

Thank you Rob, Lilsundance, Morbius131, Brady, Rockymtnx, and Admin. We all appreciate your work here.

X2!! :innocent:

Shaggy
03-31-2011, 09:05 AM
I realize I don't understand the BS that goes on behind the scenes that you guys have to deal with, and if I was ever a contributor to that I am sorry.
Rob, just remember what else goes on behind the scene that you mods and owners don't see.
The THOUSANDS of people who read the posts to learn about the outdoors. From 95 year old guys reading stories to relive their hunts of days past, to 10 year old kids who read the stories wishing it was them.
This forum has saved lives, consoled loved ones, assisted in relief efforts, captured criminals... heck, I bet we delivered a baby or two somewhere down the line. :)

The friendships that this forum has bonded can't be undone. When close friends congregate, things get a little out of control once in a while. As outdoorsmen- this forum is our Vegas. Couple bad apples, but the rest of the bunch is top notch.

Keep up the great work Rob, and if I can help in any way, please just ask.

Cheers

iliketrout
03-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Rob,

You and your team of Mods are doing a great job. Nothing what I am posting hasn't already been said, but apart from the fraction of members who want to stir stuff up, there are many, many more who are on here for the right reasons.

Because of this board, I've met many people that quickly became friends AND fishing/hunting partners. The success that I've had hunting and fishing wouldn't have come without meeting people on this board.

When we get into pizzing matches we don't accomplish anything, except for making more work for the mods. I've decided that, in the anonymity of the internet, I'm not going to convince you to buy into my opinion and you're not going to get me to buy into yours...so why waste the time and effort attempting to do so?

I'd be happy to pay a yearly membership fee to keep this board running. I'm sure the vast majority of the others on here feel the same.

whitetailsheds
03-31-2011, 09:39 AM
The positive far outweigh the negative in regards to questions asked and advice given.

I think this statement says it all......BUT, having said that, what happens behind the scenes is obviously wearing on all those keeping the site going.
Too bad......keep up the good work!

Lefty-Canuck
03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
Rob,

I'd be happy to pay a yearly membership fee to keep this board running. I'm sure the vast majority of the others on here feel the same.

It may have to come to that? would keep the trolls to a minimum, people who create multiple accounts, and people who create an account to stir stuff up and then never to be heard from again.

But part of the draw it also that it is a free site. To be honest the only reason I signed in here originally was to help my Dad sell a rifle, we were able to do that within 5 hours of the post!

Lefty

Okotokian
03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
So most people are talking about what they get out of the forum and how great it is (which I agree with), but you asked why YOU should do it. Good questions. What's in it for you?

1. I hope you are deriving some half decent revenue from the advertising here. (related to which, I wholeheartly agree with your stance about trying to cut down on the free advertising for competitors and competitors of your advertisers).

2. I would hope that this forum would drive some participants to buy or subscribe to your magazines. Personally, I think it only ethically right for users of the forum to support the AO company by doing at least that.

3. Promotion of the outdoor lifestyle in the long-run must generally benefit your business. If more of us pick up hunt and fish and pick up the regs, you would hopefully get asked to print more.

4. Uhhhhhh reaching here, but.... maybe most days you enjoy it?????? :)

If none of the above is true then I'm not sure what to say Rob. Perhaps as a business person you can at least take comfort and confidence from the fact that each day we prove that there are lots of idiots out there with money to spend. That alone should keep you going. ;) LOL

Thanks for your efforts. It should be obvious we all sure appreciate it.

Geezle
03-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Well, I don't know what went on to bring this thread about...maybe it's something that's been ongoing, or maybe there was a particular incident that "broke the camel's back" so to speak. I don't know specifically what goes into looking after such a site, but being a computer geek in my previous incarnation, I can appreciate that there absolutely is a lot going on behind the scenes that us 'commoners' just don't see.

For me personally there's been a bit of an evolution as to what I've gotten from the forum. When I first joined the forum I was just getting back into fishing after a looooong break, and I had never fished in Alberta before, so in the beginning the forum was mainly a source of information - places to fish in my neighborhood, what to use and how to use it and that sort of stuff.

As time went on I had a couple people offer to take me out and help get me going on the fishing...that's when it started to become more of a social outlet for me. Now I've got a number of regular fishing buddies who I see fairly regularly who have become good friends. I finally managed to make it out to one of the Edmonton meet & greets and met even more forum members, and got to put some faces to the names, and I look forward to meeting more like-minded folks at the next one :)

Finally, the forum also keeps me informed about outdoors related news that I just wouldn't find out about through conventional news sources. The one that comes to mind most is the whole "Potatogate" thing. Not a lot of regular media coverage, but there were some very good discussions about it on here, and we were able to pull our little community together to help do something about it. Speaking of community, look at some of the great things that have been done, like the money donated to the Stollery. If it hadn't been for your forum bringing us all together that would have never happened.

I know what you do for us on this forum is a pretty thankless job, so I do want to say "Thanks Rob!" and if there's ever anything a yahoo like me can do to help out, just say the word :)

nicemustang
03-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Not reading through everything....but this forum is great and can't live without it. I have fished with 75 members from this board and made a lot of new friends.

huntsfurfish
03-31-2011, 10:16 AM
You guys do an awesome job keeping these forums running! Ive said it before kudos to all of you.

Im on here regularly and I really appreciate the privelege to be able to speak up about an issue, or help someone out.

You enable/allow that to happen!

Thank you!

Speckle55
03-31-2011, 10:20 AM

Because if you with this site keep one person enjoying the outdoors sports or get one person to join the sports ..let people be informed on issues affecting our Arts.. get feed back on those .. there is alot of positives and negatives in life just make sure that more of the positives are coming from you.. Awesome site Rob .. you have the tool to inform 2011.. am not that good yet typing but learning;;; btw i had a great time at Edmonton Sportsman Show..stopped by your stand.. Friday i was the tall guy in the Buckskin shirt/ hat.. thanks again

Be the change you wish to see in the World-Ghandi

Got Juice?
03-31-2011, 10:45 AM
Forums like AO will always have good and bad in them. Thankfully the good outweighs the bad.

There are good people on here, and sometimes even good people have 'bad hair days' it's human nature.

The bottom line is there is a place in this world for a forum like this, and there is always good to be found here.

And that is reason enough to keep it up.

From owning/moderating my own forum, sometimes you have to divorce yourself of personal feelings in dealing with issues or people issues. Dispassionate and objectivity are the methods of dealing with both. And deal with it swiftly and without prejudice, and then wash your hands of it.

Life is too short.:)

gunslinger
03-31-2011, 10:55 AM
wow i didnt realize there was that many members on here now, no wonder a guy cant keep up with all the post that have no meaning what so ever.

Get the membership thing going rob at least then it will be worth your while to run the site anyway. Seems like its going to come to an end here soon anyway.
Wont hurt to throw 10 bucks in the kitty to become a member on your site. I know its would be the best 10$ ill ever spent, i cant help but check it out every day here at the rig and have for years..

Getting to big rob,too much stress and work, you dont deserve it and probably are tired of doing it... time to try something before we lose the site.

bobcatguy
03-31-2011, 11:12 AM
Rob , it prolly doesn't get said enough but I'm pretty sure that a lot of people love this board. I know I do. You started the board way back when because you are a leader You saw a need & decided to do something about it. THe need is still there.
I don't post much on here but read the forum quite often.I became a better hunter & fisherman from things on the board & I have seen the generosity of many members. A lot of good people on here.
Tell you what ,if the cost of the board is a factor in your frustrations I would gladly pay for a subscription to the board. I read it a lot more than the magazine

SonnyJ
03-31-2011, 11:18 AM
This place is like one big extended family.Everyone gets along for the most part but there will always be that one uncle who no one wants to talk about..:)

So...it looks like Rob needs to change his name to Dr.Phil....:sHa_shakeshout:

walking buffalo
03-31-2011, 11:30 AM
In the time I've been on this forum I've seen positive results for individuals and the outdoorsmen community as a whole because of AOF.

Rob, this question is for self reflection, not to be answered here. This is not regarding the future of the forum, but in concern for you.

What does AOF do for you?

Some creations become larger than the creator. AOF is growing up, and has a life of it's own. Don't be reluctant to treat AOF as a teenager. ;)

The creation, nurturing and inevitable nature of this forum has grown into a unique and important part of Alberta. AOF is now a powerful entity that does influence the present and future direction of hunting and fishing in Alberta

Rob,

From my heart, Thank You . :)

firegod74
03-31-2011, 11:35 AM
This forum has given me good advice, great laughs, a free canoe, and a fine shooting Win in 300wsm that may soon be on the block. Don't shut it down now, I might need the buy and sell forum!

Scott N
03-31-2011, 11:39 AM
Sorry to hear about your frustration Rob. I for one am very thankful for the AO site, there have been many, many helpful members and threads over the years. Thanks for this board!

springfisher
03-31-2011, 12:07 PM
this place has to stay around!! if it was gone i would have to do work at my office!:sHa_shakeshout:

Rather Be Hunting
03-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Must have been quite the @#^** night you had!:shark:
Hang in there, you can see how much the folks on here (most of them) appreciate it.
Keep the old chin up!
RBH

nsmitchell
03-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Just joined in the last few weeks and find myself on here almost every day. I have noted the occasional inappropriate comment form one to another that was obviously rooted in a long trem disagreement but the vast majority of postings are positive and informative if not downright hilarious.

If you are getting burned out, take a break and let the other moderators carry the load. Look after yourself.

Thanks for the iste and I for one hope it continues. Just look at the 3 pages of positives you have evoked already. Good job.

AlbertaSasquatch
03-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for keeping a place like this going for everyone Rob!

I have read some great stories here, saw some great pictures of animals taken and not taken, gotten some great advice, and last but not least I have made some new friends.

This forum is also my number one place from which I receive reports concerning Sasquatch from hunters, anglers, trappers, and other outdoorsmen. So once again thanks Rob for all that you do.

baz
03-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Rob,
Since finding this site I and my young son's have become better outdoorsman through the sharing of ideas and knowledge on this site. Although I don't post often I still check this site many times per day.

Over and above my self serving reason for using this forum, is the greater good you are creating by unifying alot of alberta outdoorsmen and women.

This will provide a stronger voice for confronting all the various pressures we are seeing that are mounting daily that wish to curtail or eliminate our way of life.

Perservere for the benefit of us all.

Thank You

srp71
03-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Well if you shut us down I'll have to get a new job and life!I worked in the field until 2004 and then for family reasons I came into the office.I was a member of this forum before that but not a regular,I can't remeber when I signed up for sure.Since the start up of the magazine I have only missed issues number 1 and 3.Over the years I have bought numerous different publications but none of them have ever had an impact on my life as AO has.I'm not saying it has changed my life or anything but after 10 or 12 yrs. or however long you've been publishing/operateing AO,I have still been a loyal follower.Most other ones I've tired of after a year or two.Without AO I would have to come to work and work,or go back in the field!
I frequent a Muzzle Loader forum,and even though it is mostly an American site there are quite a few good ole Canadian boys on there.They have a ZERO tolerance for any crap on there.It is outlined in the rules on the top of each catagory.Any bad behavior or personal attacks or giving ammo to the nay sayers is delt with immediately and with finallity.But without a few good heated debates it does not have the color and atmoshere as the AOF.

So hat's off to you Rob!You and the rest of the gang do a great job here,and here's to many more years of enjoyment and knowledge we get from being here.

plinker
03-31-2011, 02:15 PM
Rob, when I had my open heart surgery last March, I was confined to bed or sitting in a chair in absolute discomfort for hours until June. I was lonely, scared, and didn't know where my life was headed.

I had been a member of your forum for some time and would read when I had the time. During my imprisonment from surgery, I became someone who went through every thread and absorbed it. Some threads were trolls, some were all out cat fights, and some were agree to disagree threads. I loved them all. I sat for hours and read and learned from questions I asked and had answered, or from questions others had asked and also had answers.

Many of the members on here I know a ton about, although never having met them. I have learned much from this forum and it's members and have been able to participate as a student and as an equal.

The unfortunate part about your position is that you're much more exposed to the haters, immatures, trolls, and others in that vein than we are as forum members.

I would be proud to assist you with your project if you are interested. This board is a lifeline, not just for those members who care, but also for the actual outdoors hunting and fishing community itself.

thumper
03-31-2011, 02:17 PM
What Gunslinger said!

Maybe the membership has reached a volume where the grief factor has become too much of a burden. Before it completely sours your view of the future of our outdoor pursuits, better to find a new way of managing it. Doing things the same way and expecting different results just isn't going to work.
Mix it up a little?
Maybe charge for a membership, or maybe make a membership a part of the magazine subscription? Perhaps do some lurking on the HuntingBC or GunNutz forums for a while, or contact other forum owners and see how they handle their problem 'members'?

As evidenced by all these testimonials, your support base is truly awesome!

Jwood 456
03-31-2011, 02:33 PM
If you shut this forum down, I and many other forum members will probably feel a big loss.

I am currently home schooled and don't have a lot of people to talk to. This forum is one of my only means of socializing with others.

I just enjoy sharing my thoughts and ideas about the great outdoors with people who have common intersts. Even since I first read this forum then joined the forum, I have had many great members give me great tips and now my catch rates for big pike have gone way up. I have also met some very great people as well that I wouldn't have ever met if it wasn't for this forum.

99% of the comments I have gotten so far, were, informative, helpful, positive or and humerous in a good way.

There is so much more positive stuff I could say about this forum that I could probably type over a thousand words worth easilly.

You have been doing a great job with this forum and should keep up the great work.:happy0034:

Pudelpointer
03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Not sure what is going on, but I hope it gets sorted out.

I agree with others, that sometimes you need to walk away and let others take care of the problems for a while. And don't be afraid to ask for help; you might be surprized how many people will chip in as needed.

Maybe you need a few more moderators.

TreeGuy
03-31-2011, 04:11 PM
There's too many reasons to list. Here's but two......

Without AO, guys like Ken AKA Savage, EagerBeaver and most recently Troller, wouldn't be able to 'check in' on us from time to time to see what we're all up to. :)

Without AO, we wouldn't be able to share in and with some of life's more memorable moments. ie. Congrats to Crazy Fish for winning this years photo contest put on by BB416. Kindda sums up what it's all about....

I thank you Rob+Mods, but Mrs Tree thanks you MORE! :lol:

Keep up the good work.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s213/TreeGuy22/H3Crazyfish.jpg

Scott N
03-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Without AO, guys like Ken AKA Savage, EagerBeaver and most recently Troller, wouldn't be able to 'check in' on us from time to time to see what we're all up to. :)

Agree!

donabb
03-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Rob
I have been laid up at home sick for over a year
My daily fix of AO often times is what gets me through the day
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all your hard work
I am in if you would like to start a paid membership
Don

bearbuster
03-31-2011, 05:19 PM
I believe your frustration. For every BS thread started there must be at least 2 meaning full threads going.
But you can't shut er down, this is my answer to the wifes facebook!! :bad_boys_20:
As said before, maybe make the forum exclusive to a mag subsciption. This will limit the members to serious parties and should eliminate the S%#T disturbers.
You guys can monitor the posts closer, and keep a closer eye on the folks who are here to stir up crap.

leo
03-31-2011, 05:44 PM
I am sure all of us here can appreciate your frustations as of late. Please don't dispare. This thread itself speaks wonders for what you and the Mod's do for all of us. Look, no squabbles or arguing. We all have 1 thing in common. Our love and appreciation of Alberta Outdoorsman Forum. my heart felt thanks to you all.

huntinstuff
03-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Rob

I understand. Ive been there. There are those who add, and those who subtract

Those that subtract are a nuisance, but they will always be with us. Beauty is, you can get rid of them at your pleasure

If I may, I would gladly assist as a moderator. I dont know if I qualify or what the criteria are, but if it allows you some time of reprieve, Im in

Compliments:

AO is a great site. A place where young and old can run stuff by each other in order to learn

AO is on my "Favourites" drop down box

AO is the only site in Alberta of its kind. We have members from all over

AO is addictive. Do you want us all checking into rehab?

Coulee
03-31-2011, 07:20 PM
I buy the magazine at the news stand. I don't know if that's better for you than having a subscription or not. The best part of the forum is when you have a conversation with someone who obviously knows what you mean. And as an experienced outdoorsman (meaning older) I enjoy the opportunities to help others who need some advice.

lone wolf
03-31-2011, 07:55 PM
Rob, you and the other mods are doing an outstanding job. Don't let the opinions of a select few donkeys get to you. As others have pointed out it gves us a place to gather, meet, share experiences, tell a few tall tales and generally enjoy the company of like-minded individuals. In the time I have been here, I have laughed out loud, admired photos & stories of the hunts of others, learnt some outstanding tips and even shed a tear or two at times.

Keep up the good work - the world needs more people like you !!

guywiththemule
03-31-2011, 07:59 PM
My name is Terry... I`m an Alberta Outdoorsmen addict.. I can change if I have to, I guess...... maybe with therapy or something...:scared:

watchdog4410
03-31-2011, 08:08 PM
This is a great site, we have nothing like it here in the East, you're providing an invaluable service to everyone.

reelhooker
03-31-2011, 08:16 PM
I spend more time on here then with my wife- Rob, I never knew this many men used the internet for something other that por.... Portugal.. I know there are woman and children on here too. A sign of great management is the equality her of all those that take part in our passtime's despite sex, race, age or religious belief. Congradulations on creating a community as diverse but more accepting, then the rest of society around us.
AO still has more of my attention then my wife- AO wins and she has bre@$ts!!! That there is a WOW in it's self!

PROUD to be AO
RH
Feel free to remove my mammorie comment if you feel it is inapropriate.

simmered
03-31-2011, 08:33 PM
I find myself logging on just to see whats happening on the forum and then just logging off. I have not yet found another hunting site that I enjoy visiting more. Lots to learn and read and it sure makes the night shifts go by quicker.
Keep up the good work mods!!!!!!!!!

MrDave
03-31-2011, 09:33 PM
I can only hope you get some personal satisfaction out of providing a forum where the newbies can come to and learn from. If your forum can save one young hunter or fishing person from making that fatal mistake.
One of my friends from the Rimbey area, was hunting with the gent that was shot just south of Rimbey. These "mistakes" are tragic but preventable, so I always hope that some of the youngsters on here learn what NOT to do. I do wish there was a youth area, so they had a spot that was safer for them to ask questions, without the problem makers.

So all I can say is, I hope is that what the occasional idiot says on here, doesn't sink the feeling you get from helping others out. Get yourself some satisfaction using that magic button, kick some butt, and start speaking up on some more threads. Release the tension, and tell some of these idiots whats on your mind.

Always remember, most of us are on here to help others, though many are on here for less than moral reasons. You could always ask for help, we are a giving bunch for the most part, and I think you would get it.

KegRiver
03-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Rob, What can I say that has not already been said.

I knots me up inside to even think that this place may not be here forever.
For me this place is a way to enjoy the outdoors when I can't be outdoors.

I'm getting a little long of tooth these days and getting out gets harder and harder every year. What I love about the outdoors more then anything else is, sharing. This site allows,,, no makes it possible for me to share in ways I never could before and with so many more people.

I am not gifted with words. But I tell you sir that this is something special, this place you have created. It is a refuge, a meeting place, an adventure, and a treasure trove of information.

I wish you and all who toil to make this place what it is; strength, wisdom, peace, rest, and tons and tons of encouragement.

Cattle Dog
03-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Rob:

am new here, but have learned a great deal here, and the vast majority of the people posting here gives me the honor of feeling to be part of something good about western canada and Alberta.

95% of my reading here is on the general topics section. This is the best forum of three that i read. Where else can one ask a serious question, and get meaningful and experienced answers? And the guys have a good sense of humor with some of the topics or responses too.

Your sharing of your time to create this site (with the other mods) has brought out a lot of sharing of expertiese or comments from others. We are a community of sorts here.
Just an example: remember the guy that went fishing and got stuck in the blowing snow?
Other members came to his rescue ! That was just A-1.

You and the rest of us are in far better shape than someone with disabilities
like Helen Keller (read her biography). So we have to recognise the ebb and flow of life. Next week will be better, i hope.

NBFK
03-31-2011, 11:01 PM
I have connected with a lot of good people on here and found tons of great info. This by far one of the best forums around! I think I would have some serious withdrawal issues if this forum didn't exist.

Whiskey Wish
03-31-2011, 11:44 PM
Rob,
While I do not run an internet forum so cannot ever understand all that goes into running one I do, in my own small way, feel your pain...for lack of a better word. As of late I have taken to not even bothering to sign in, just scan a few of the posts then leave as a lot of garbage has appeared here in the last few months. I do enjoy the forum for the most part.

I am sure you have your own altruistic reasons for running the forum and, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the forum brings a LOT of pleasure to some regular posters here. There are some posters whose contributions are somewhat less than necessary and the odd time one of the regulars falls off the beaten path.

My father had a saying that went " Figures don't lie but liars figure". The stats here for this particular post are (at my posting) 98 responses to somewhere on the order of 20,000 members. The calculator says that is on the order of .5% of members. According to what I have been told the political pundits say that for every ONE letter they receive it represents 10 people that never bothered to write so using those factors that gives a 5% response rating to your request for positive reinforcement.
I guess what I am saying is are you prepared to run this forum for the benefit and enjoyment of 5% or 1000 A/O members? That becomes your decision.

Personally I think the forum would be healthier if membership here on the internet was based on subscription to the magazine. A lot of the trouble makers and "beakers" would not wish to "waste" their precious dollars to simply run their mouths on a free forum and (imho) the people that would be left as A/O members would be serious outdoorsmen and outdoorswomen.
To be sure there would still be some disagreements as people who are passionate about the outdoors sometimes become emotionally involved in their love for their own view of Mother Nature however, I think a lot of the personal attacks, vendettas and diatribes would be left behind.

On a strictly personal basis, and from an entirely business point of view, I think you are crazy for running this forum. It must be a royal pain the the keester.
HOWEVER...Thank You for running this site. I can speak from personal experience that it brings a lot of enjoyment to myself, my son and my son in law. Whatever your decision I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.

DairyMan7
03-31-2011, 11:47 PM
If you need a hand with things, I would love to be a part of all of this, volunteer my time for a greater good...OUR FORUM!!!

Selkirk
04-01-2011, 01:12 AM
For my thoughts, please see post #18 here; http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=87438

TF

savage shooter
04-01-2011, 02:02 AM
I find the forum more useful than the magazine.

As a manager of a business I recognize that sometimes you have to cut bad people out of an organization or their poor attitude will spread like a cancer that you can't even see after a while.

I love the site and if you ever feel the need to 'remove some tumors' and need any replacement help, drop me a line!

Matt L.
04-01-2011, 02:14 AM
This site is a blessing Rob. After coming back from a bit of a sabbatical due to school, I realized how much I missed it. As many others have said,I don't know what I'd do without it. It's a replacement for when I can't get outdoors.

grind stone
04-01-2011, 04:08 AM
I find it Interesting there is 104 post's ,2500 views out of 23,000 members .

As for the site I think things are all good other then a couple of whiners that i can see but hey that’s the internet you cant please everyone keep up the good work :) as for knowing what goes on behind the sense I will never know how much work it truly is.

oldgutpile
04-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Dont know what to say that hasnt been said already. Sure, there's a few clowns in the family here that make life pretty testy at times (most). Show me any family that is perfect!
Just take the good with the bad, and at the end of the day I hope you see all the good that is coming out of this site. Couldnt make it through this miserable winter without sharing stories and pics with everyone on line.
Keep it up Rob; "stay the course".

Dennis780
04-01-2011, 05:57 AM
I'm new to this website. I stumbled onto it on my search for field operator positions. One of your forums popped up in my Google.ca search (PLUG). I read through the thread, and joined for a quick fix...that is, to find someone out there who could help me out. I was thinking like a man, get in, get off, get out, so to speak.

It didn't take long, maybe 20 minutes. I was getting help from every which direction. I felt almost BAD. Here are all these guys who don't even know me, that offer up more information than I could squeeze out of people I've been working around for the last 6 months. I picked up an attitude pretty quick. Not everyone is out for themselves. I'm an oilfield man, and alot of the guys I work around are out for themselves. Make the most money, don't teach you so you can't take their job, the list is endless. I am not ashamed to say, I LOVE THIS SITE.

For the past few weeks, my internet has been down at home. My iphone is really small, and hard to type, so I don't normally use it for the internet. The last two weeks, I've been on my phone at least 3 times a day, checking what the new threads are on here. I'd mistype the website 4 times, then cheer when I got it right and it starts connecting (my wife things I'm on drugs by the way).

This website is by far the coolest thing I've found in a long time. Grown men, who like to help, love to laugh, and love even more to SHOOT. Getting a group of guys all in one place like this is a rare thing. You have something special.

A man has to live with himself, and he should see to it that he always has good company. ~Charles Evans Hughes

Thats my 3 cents.

dodger
04-01-2011, 07:07 AM
50 years old and still learning new things from members on this site. I have also met some great people and made some friends that love fishing as much as I do.

The sad thing about what happens behind the scene on here is that you see the ugly stuff and not all the friendly chatter between members in there pm's.

As mentioned by another member, I do not subscribe to the magazine but chose to purchase it from the local store.

Dodger.

caver77
04-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Well, hope that all the posts on here keep ya doing what you've been doing. Personally I'd just like to say "Thanks,I enjoy so many aspects of the site ". I know a thanks can mean a lot more to me than a lot of other words or reasoning, so I'll pass one along.

Badback
04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Well X2 on many statements i.e. "don’t know what to say that hasn't been said already, still learning new things from members on this site, met and fished with lots of members.".....You guys are doing an outstanding job operating this site!....

Sooner
04-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Just want to echo whats allready been said. Great site with 90 % good guys and gals willing to help. 10% out to cause trouble. Please keep a good thing going. I am also on the list willing to pay a membership fee if it helps run this forum. The plus side far out weighs the negitive side. Too bad as the head honcho you have to deal with all the crap.