PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done? Am I stupid?

Stop Staring at my Rack
03-31-2011, 12:07 AM
Was fueling up in Edmonton today and a young girl walked by our truck and smiled, I really did not pay much attention to her. She stood back while my son was fueling the truck, My kids saw her and pointed out how she looked out of place. I glanced back, but did not really see her.
She finally approached my son and asked if we had any spare change, I said no, she smiled and my heart told me to help her. I dug out all the change in the ashtray and gave it to her. She was sooo happy!
I went in and paid for the gas, all the time I couldnt help wonder who she was. I walked outside and she was gone. I asked the kids where she went and they werent sure, so we drove up to the whitemud and there she was in the darkness walking. I pulled up and asked her if she needed a ride, she gratefully accepted. As we drove I asked why she needed the money, she told us it was for her hotel room, turns out she had just moved to Edmonton from Kelowna, had not recieved her first paycheck yet, so she had to pay for her room for the next day, just until she got paid. She had been on the bus and feel asleep, got off on 17th street, lost.
As We talked to her she told us about her family, her dreams to get a great job here and the dissapointment she had felt. She stared at the bag of cheetos on the dash like they were the most delicious thing in the world. She was 19, did not have a cell phone, did not smell of cigarette smoke, or look like a drug user, the more I heard, the more I had to help before she got into a vehicle with the wrong person.
Things around our house have been extremely tight as for money with me being sick, but I had to help.... after all is that not what God tells us we are supposed to do, help others?
I took her to the hotel, borrowed her money that I paid her hotel bill with, (wich I am sure she cannot repay), and some money for food, gave her my number and told her to call us if she needed something. She cried when I paid for the hotel room for two nights. Was soo excited she could buy some food!! I sure hope she calls tomorrow, we have some clothes for her....
What would you have done ? :thinking-006:

horsetrader
03-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Hard to answer that you could have got suckered or you might have saved her and changed her life for the better.....

I'm hoping for the latter your a good person you should sleep with the comfort of knowing that:)

ishootbambi
03-31-2011, 12:25 AM
youre a good person haeli.....that stuff comes around. :)

Ruger1022
03-31-2011, 12:30 AM
I hope for the latter aswell, not sure if I would feel comfortable picking someone up with my kids in the car. But in cases like that go with your gut but be prepared to face the consequence if the person meant harm. In todays world you just never know I guess.

But good on you for helping someone out as you may helped her for the better.

Need more people like you around!!

keep us updated

-Ron-

Ken07AOVette
03-31-2011, 12:30 AM
I have heard that scam many time, the other one from Edmonton is " our car s at the shop, we are 15 short of getting it fixed so we can get to the new job, or15 short of the hotel room."

You likely got scammed, hopefully her tears are real and she sees the good in humanity.

becker007
03-31-2011, 12:32 AM
Whether you got "suckered" or not is not the importanat thing because your heart and intentions were in the right place. Your kids learned a valuable lesson today, they will probably remember your actions today when the are faced with the same situation when they are older.

Stop Staring at my Rack
03-31-2011, 12:34 AM
I have heard that scam many time, the other one from Edmonton is " our car s at the shop, we are 15 short of getting it fixed so we can get to the new job, or15 short of the hotel room."

You likely got scammed, hopefully her tears are real and she sees the good in humanity.

Thats why I paid for her hotel room, not just giving her cash..... The hotel guy seemed convinced she was for real too.....

FishingMOM
03-31-2011, 03:05 AM
You are not stupid!

You did a wonderful thing for another human being.
:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

silver
03-31-2011, 05:00 AM
Wether you got suckered or not, put it out of your mind. You done a good thing.

fishnut9
03-31-2011, 05:24 AM
Was fueling up in Edmonton today and a young girl walked by our truck and smiled, I really did not pay much attention to her. She stood back while my son was fueling the truck, My kids saw her and pointed out how she looked out of place. I glanced back, but did not really see her.
She finally approached my son and asked if we had any spare change, I said no, she smiled and my heart told me to help her. I dug out all the change in the ashtray and gave it to her. She was sooo happy!
I went in and paid for the gas, all the time I couldnt help wonder who she was. I walked outside and she was gone. I asked the kids where she went and they werent sure, so we drove up to the whitemud and there she was in the darkness walking. I pulled up and asked her if she needed a ride, she gratefully accepted. As we drove I asked why she needed the money, she told us it was for her hotel room, turns out she had just moved to Edmonton from Kelowna, had not recieved her first paycheck yet, so she had to pay for her room for the next day, just until she got paid. She had been on the bus and feel asleep, got off on 17th street, lost.
As We talked to her she told us about her family, her dreams to get a great job here and the dissapointment she had felt. She stared at the bag of cheetos on the dash like they were the most delicious thing in the world. She was 19, did not have a cell phone, did not smell of cigarette smoke, or look like a drug user, the more I heard, the more I had to help before she got into a vehicle with the wrong person.
Things around our house have been extremely tight as for money with me being sick, but I had to help.... after all is that not what God tells us we are supposed to do, help others?
I took her to the hotel, borrowed her money that I paid her hotel bill with, (wich I am sure she cannot repay), and some money for food, gave her my number and told her to call us if she needed something. She cried when I paid for the hotel room for two nights. Was soo excited she could buy some food!! I sure hope she calls tomorrow, we have some clothes for her....
I would not have done anything different. Other than maybe bought the food with her. Even if you were scammed you gave a person 2 nights to stay somewhere and rethink their ways. Its been a cold winter and druggy or not she is still a person. Think what if it was your daughter out there. That is the worst thing about some places here. When people have the resources to help they dont. The ones that dont have the resources find a way to help. If everyone had the heart to do what you did then this world would be a much better one.

sewerrat
03-31-2011, 05:36 AM
Wow, I don't think I could do anything like that.
You did good:)

winged1
03-31-2011, 05:49 AM
I would have offered, and convinced her the value of the offer, to help her reconnect with her parents. 19 year old girls don't stay in hotels when they move, and if they start wondering the streets at night from bad descisions, they're getting desperate. She is obviously out of her element and is highly exposed. Prolonging that certainly isn't helping, nor is it comforting parents on the other end who are likely distraught about thier missing daughter.

fishnut9
03-31-2011, 06:08 AM
I would have offered, and convinced her the value of the offer, to help her reconnect with her parents. 19 year old girls don't stay in hotels when they move, and if they start wondering the streets at night from bad descisions, they're getting desperate. She is obviously out of her element and is highly exposed. Prolonging that certainly isn't helping, nor is it comforting parents on the other end who are likely distraught about thier missing daughter.

Oh come on now how many newfies come here with only a couple bucks to work in the rigs. My friend used to sleep in his car.

winged1
03-31-2011, 07:03 AM
Oh come on now how many newfies come here with only a couple bucks to work in the rigs. My friend used to sleep in his car.

a male newfie rigworker sleeping in thier car. Are you at all tuned into the subject of this thread?

JohninAB
03-31-2011, 07:04 AM
You did the right thing, showed some compassion for a fellow human being. Good job.

4thredneck
03-31-2011, 07:05 AM
SSAMR you did a wonderful thing. You could go back to the city to check on her if it would ease your mind.

honda450
03-31-2011, 07:06 AM
Very generous of you SSAMR.

big-river
03-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Here's my take on it.

It seemed very legit to you, so you took action.

If you are wrong, then somebody got you for a few bucks.

If you are right, you did something very worthwhile and possibly changed a life for the better.

Good for you.

fishnut9
03-31-2011, 07:31 AM
a male newfie rigworker sleeping in thier car. Are you at all tuned into the subject of this thread?

There is no difference. The girl took a chance except she failed. She didnt have a car and stayed in a motel instead. Just like my newfie friend who took a chance with a couple bucks staying in his car. Well he lives and owns a house now. The only difference is that one is a woman the other is a man.

Slash8
03-31-2011, 07:37 AM
Whether you got "suckered" or not is not the importanat thing because your heart and intentions were in the right place. Your kids learned a valuable lesson today, they will probably remember your actions today when the are faced with the same situation when they are older.

Well said, I agree. Weather it was a scam or not, your kids will remember that for the rest of their lives. Lesson learned, good job.

densa44
03-31-2011, 07:40 AM
You did the right thing for a number of reasons. Just think what might have happened if she had been picked up by some who is not like you at all.

It is too awful to think of. I have picked up waifs like her before as a father with two daughters, I'm very concerned about a situation like you describe.

I usually tell them not to hitch hike because of the very dangerous people out there (I worked in the mental health field) they may have ignored my advice but at least they had it. I'd try to hook them up with social services if they were interested.

It takes a village to raise a child, good on you!:)

jts1
03-31-2011, 07:42 AM
Top shelf. A scam ,,, who knows. Who cares you sir did a great thing and should be commended. Keep up the good work. Please let us know if she calls you back.

Badgerbadger
03-31-2011, 07:55 AM
You're wonderful.

It's my opinion that it's always better to err on the side of kindness and compassion.

It would be nice if more people chose to.

BeerSlayer1
03-31-2011, 08:16 AM
I tip my hat to you sir, your children are very lucky to have you as a role model in their life. When they are adults they'll be telling that story to their children and it'll end with "and he did it because that's just the kind of guy my Dad is".

DarkAisling
03-31-2011, 08:22 AM
I'd be very surprised if you made an error in judgement, Haeli. As a parent, I expect that you're pretty good at reading body language and determining whether or not you're getting the truth, or the whole truth.

In addition to that (though I really don't feel your actions need to be validated), the manager at the hotel is probably also pretty good at sussing people out . . . it doesn't take long to get a feel for people doing that job.

What would I have done? Depends how much attention I was paying. I probably wouldn't have even really looked at her when she asked for change, and I haven't given anyone change in ten years. If I did actually look at her and pay attention to her, I might have given her something (not cash). I've purchased food for people before, and given them jackets and blankets . . . but I think it is pretty safe to say that you were much more generous and trusting than I would have been.

TheClash
03-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Matthew 25:40
And the King shall answer and say to them, Truly I say to you, Inasmuch as you have done it to one of the least of these my brothers, you have done it to me.

well done sir. Scammed or not is not the question...if she was scamming that is on her head. What you did is taught your kids how a real man and a father acts towards those in need. I only hope that in the same situation I would act similarly.

It is hard to know how and when to act, but it seems you were in tune with your conscience, Karma, her vibe, the spirit whatever you want to call it and hopefully she is better off for it. One thing is for sure, you and your family are better off for it and I am sure the money you have freely given up will be replaced many times over in one way or another because of your selflessness.

Twisted Canuck
03-31-2011, 08:28 AM
Sounds lilke you did what you thought was the right thing to do, to help someone in need. You also set a wonderful example to your kids. Hopefully it was a legit situation, but if not, who cares? It's not on you, you did the right thing at the time, for your own positive reasons. Look at it this way, if you could heal ten lepers of their disease, and only one comes back to say thank you, it doesn't change the fact that you helped them......:) (I recall this happened to someone apparently).

dodger
03-31-2011, 08:31 AM

This explains it perfectly. I have done the same and walked away knowing that my generosity might have helped, or i'm out some cash. True giving comes with no strings attached.

Dodger.

winged1
03-31-2011, 08:37 AM
There is no difference. The girl took a chance except she failed. She didnt have a car and stayed in a motel instead. Just like my newfie friend who took a chance with a couple bucks staying in his car. Well he lives and owns a house now. The only difference is that one is a woman the other is a man.

They are opposites on every aspect that you've mentioned. Are you saying that my original comments have no merit. I'm only speaking as a parent of young adult girls, with friends and family that have gone through that very experience. Yes, young adults strike out on thier own, and most survive and flourish, but many experience unnecessary anguish and are susceptable to the 'dark side', often not through thier desire, but victims of circumstance.

How do you propose to assist a young woman who is possibly walking a tightrope between freedom and oppression. Give her a buck for a meal, or ignore her because your rig working buddy has a good paying job.

Got Juice?
03-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Pay It Forward.

Damn good job you did.

Albertadiver
03-31-2011, 08:38 AM
Hard to answer that you could have got suckered or you might have saved her and changed her life for the better.....

I'm hoping for the latter your a good person you should sleep with the comfort of knowing that:)

I've worked on homeless shelters before, and working in the downtown core of Calgary I've heard every story in the book. I'm all for helping out, but so many are convincing scam artists. Remember that guy who posted on the forum a few weeks back with all sorts of stories and needed help? Turned out to be a fraud.

Based on what you've said though, it appears you've done the right thing.

Krista
03-31-2011, 08:52 AM
Stupid ..No...
Brave .. Yes...

I am from a VERY small village...I have never been in a situation where someone is asking me for change. I don't know what I would do!

Redfrog
03-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Doing the right thing isn't aways easy, but it is always the right thing.

If you thought she was scamming you would have moved on. Obviously you didn't. We all make choices. She made hers, you made yours.

If i thought she was legit, I would have tried to help.

Lefty-Canuck
03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Bravo! Great thing you did there.

I have learned the value of showing your children that you can help others in need as well.

Pulled into Mickie-D's one day and an older man was going through the garbage outside, I was with my 6 year old Son at the time. My Son asked me what the man was doing and I said likely picking bottles or looking for food. My Son said to me, "Why does he eat food from the garbage?" I said likely cause he doesn't have any money. He said, "you have money?".....I thought about it.....I went in with my boy and we bought a big mac meal and we took it outside to the guy. He was very grateful. I realized that in a childs eyes things are so simple, but as you grow older you realize that sometimes they aren't. A small gesture goes a long way in showing a child what compassion can mean. It doesn't have to be a huge thing but little things count too.

Lefty

great white whaler
03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Hats of to you , sounds like u just saved a child from going a stray, ''Kara '' :love0025:

Ken07AOVette
03-31-2011, 09:10 AM
This only happens to me when I am in Edmonton.

One time I was at Arby's, and I watched this guy behind and over a bit take his teeth out and put them in his pocket. He then went from car to car. When he got to me, I rolled the window down, and he said he just came to Edmonton to work with his brother, but it didnt start for another 6 days, and his hotel room was robbed, they stole his wallet, teeth, phone, everything. He was crying when he asked for money. I asked him why the teeth in his pocket would not work, miracle of miracles the tears were gone, and he wasn't limping anymore as he walked away.

I have heard the 'only 15 more dollars for a hotel room, for the car to be fixed, for the bus trip back to Ft Mac more times than I can remember.

I seem always to get hit up at Red Lobster and Super 8, both on Calgary trail South.

Now if I sense a scam, I simply say I only carry plastic. Sure enough, one of these times one of them is going to whip out a portable debit machine, and ask 'debit or visa?'

Seriously though Haeli, if someone really is down and out and not begging to feed a habit, they generally get help from family or friends, the ones that are out panhandling (in my experience) are the ones that you do not want to help.

In any case, you have a huge heart, and again I hope she took something away from the encounter more than a free couple nights and some towels.

Shaggy
03-31-2011, 09:16 AM
Hold your head high. You have done a wonderful thing. Scam or not is not the question. You taught your kids some very valuable lessons. You learned a little bit more about yourself. The only thing you asked for in return was that you be allowed to help even more. I only hope that one day I can do something similar.

Good for you.

nick0danger
03-31-2011, 09:17 AM
I would rather help people out even if it was a scam, cause the 1 time it wont be and they will truly appreciated it. Just Like EI and Welfare, some people truly need it and some dont, you just have to deal with the scammers. My wife and I, and her family seem to be doing this very often and we always say, as long as a few people actually needed the help is all that mattered.

JimPS
03-31-2011, 09:18 AM
She was a hooker.
She didn't approach you because you had the kids with you.
It's illegal to solicit for the purpose of prostitution but it's not illegal to solicit for money to get a hotel room.
There's a small chance she wasn't hooking - but circumstantial evidence is strong towards she was when she's approaching strange men for money at a gas station when there is a hotel nearby.
Was she approaching any women for money?
You left yourself open to a charge of "communicating for the purposes" when you went back and talked to her and bought a room.
Good thing for you the cops were not watching you/her.

- Jim

great white whaler
03-31-2011, 09:18 AM
This only happens to me when I am in Edmonton.

One time I was at Arby's, and I watched this guy behind and over a bit take his teeth out and put them in his pocket. He then went from car to car. When he got to me, I rolled the window down, and he said he just came to Edmonton to work with his brother, but it didnt start for another 6 days, and his hotel room was robbed, they stole his wallet, teeth, phone, everything. He was crying when he asked for money. I asked him why the teeth in his pocket would not work, miracle of miracles the tears were gone, and he wasn't limping anymore as he walked away.

I have heard the 'only 15 more dollars for a hotel room, for the car to be fixed, for the bus trip back to Ft Mac more times than I can remember.

I seem always to get hit up at Red Lobster and Super 8, both on Calgary trail South.

Now if I sense a scam, I simply say I only carry plastic. Sure enough, one of these times one of them is going to whip out a portable debit machine, and ask 'debit or visa?'

Seriously though Haeli, if someone really is down and out and not begging to feed a habit, they generally get help from family or friends, the ones that are out panhandling (in my experience) are the ones that you do not want to help.

In any case, you have a huge heart, and again I hope she took something away from the encounter more than a free couple nights and some towels.

Down town wetaskiwin is getting really bad'' lots of homeless natives.

Fisherpeak
03-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Random acts of kindness,I`m glad they still happen.Good on you.:sHa_shakeshout:

Okotokian
03-31-2011, 09:25 AM

That has some merit. However, I think the original poster did a wonderful thing and is obviously a good person. If they want to take it a little further and help her out some more, they could go back to the hotel, meet her again and see how she is. Then hook her up with some resources like the Women in Need (WIN) house or some similar service, speak to her about contacting her parents.

Too bad they didn't ask her where her new job was. They could have dropped by there, seen her (or not) and had a final answer to the original question. However they can still feel good about themselves.. Did a kind thing.

winged1
03-31-2011, 09:32 AM
She was a hooker.
She didn't approach you because you had the kids with you.
It's illegal to solicit for the purpose of prostitution but it's not illegal to solicit for money to get a hotel room.
There's a small chance she wasn't hooking - but circumstantial evidence is strong towards she was when she's approaching strange men for money at a gas station when there is a hotel nearby.
You left yourself open to a charge of "communicating for the purposes" when you went back and talked to her and bought a room.
Good thing for you the cops were not watching you/her.

- Jim

It certainly is not out of the question, and here inlies the real danger. Young women are susceptable to being forced into the trade, under physical abuse. Those that run out of resources are most vulnerable. Don't be fooled, prostitution is not a trade of choice.

omega50
03-31-2011, 09:35 AM
Sounds like your personal health issues have opened your heart to a selfless act.

I would not investigate this further as you might not be happy with what you ultimately find.
Did she scam you? Let Karma deal with it if she did!!!!

Did you do the right thing? Absolutely!!!!!!

fishnut9
03-31-2011, 12:16 PM
They are opposites on every aspect that you've mentioned. Are you saying that my original comments have no merit. I'm only speaking as a parent of young adult girls, with friends and family that have gone through that very experience. Yes, young adults strike out on thier own, and most survive and flourish, but many experience unnecessary anguish and are susceptable to the 'dark side', often not through thier desire, but victims of circumstance.

How do you propose to assist a young woman who is possibly walking a tightrope between freedom and oppression. Give her a buck for a meal, or ignore her because your rig working buddy has a good paying job.
I never said ignore her. this is obviously a misunderstanding.I'm simply saying don't tell them to go back home to their parents.for all you know her parents could be abusive. You don't know their situation. I'm totally all for helping the girl out

Rather Be Hunting
03-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Well done!!:)

DarkAisling
03-31-2011, 01:32 PM

If your post is directed to SSAMR . . . SSAMR is a woman.

Lefty-Canuck
03-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by JimPS

OH...Snap! :) apparently yes she was asking the nice lady for some money.

Lefty

JimPS
03-31-2011, 01:49 PM

OK, fairs fair, since she was "sheepishly" approaching another woman and asking for money, she likely wasn't a hooker.
In that case, SSAMR, you did a good deed for a fellow human being.

Jim

springfisher
03-31-2011, 01:52 PM
I think you did well, not all people are scamers. If i ever need help i hope i runinto someone like you.... Good Job!

6.5 shooter
03-31-2011, 03:45 PM
You may never know what your money has done for her but GOD knows, what you have done!

ishootbambi
03-31-2011, 03:46 PM

there have been half a dozen that read the name haeli but still think she's a guy. now who would stare at a dude's rack? :thinking-006:

cant you tell from the buck in the avatar.....clearly she hunts like a girl........:bad_boys_20:

MWD 800
03-31-2011, 03:53 PM
You may never know what your money has done for her but GOD knows, what you have done!

X100000. You did what you thought in your heart to be the right thing, that ALL that matters.

Joe

Boatbuilder
03-31-2011, 03:54 PM
NO QUESTION. YOU DID THE RIGHT THING. THIS WORLD NEEDS MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

Thanks
Jim

newguy
03-31-2011, 04:15 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:

We need more people like you sir...

Jamie Black R/T
03-31-2011, 04:53 PM
I had a guy approach me about 5 years ago outside our commercial bank. He told me a story of how his wife ran off shortly after they moved here from Ontario and she cleaned out the bank account. Now he is waiting to start a job at the grocery people the following week and he and his young son are sleeping in the mens shelter but they are kicking him out after one night cause they dont take children and he is afraid they will call social services. Tears flowing all the while. He was dressed well, clean shaven and well spoken. I gave him a 5 and went on my way.

Felt good about it. Saw others giving me a few bucks before I left.

Fast forward a year later. Same parking lot. SAME GUY. SAME STORY. :sign0161:

I gave him a piece of my mind. His appearance had gone waaaayyyy downhill since the year before. Obviously a full time panhandler with an addiction of some sort. Still tried to spit out his grocery people/mens shelter story. I stopped him short and made sure he knew I had the rest of his speach memorized and had already been fooled once. He walked away promptly.

Fast forward to LAST night. Wal Mart parking lot. 1/2 mile from commercial bank. 3 years advanced. SAME GUY. :angry3:

Im not proud but the guy didnt get a chance to even mutter anything resembling a word. I lost it. I fired a string of obsenities at this guy that would make a newfie blush (theres the joke for the week). I am not a confrontational person but i had a moment of weakness and this guy paid for it. I am very thankful my wonderful wife was there to drag me away cause the amount I was spitting in the guys face was probably close to being classed as physical assault of some sort. I think he will move a little further down the road from now on.

Sorry for the long winded story but thats my experience in these types of situations. You did the right thing there is no doubt. Even if there is a 1% chance the girl wasnt lying. You took the chance just in case. Good for you. If nothing else you taught your kids to be great people and earned some very well deserved karma points.

After my dealings with the now appropriately labeled "F***'n bank guy", i dont think ill give any hand outs to people who ask. I think im done with that. But i will forever respect people like you who will take the chance to try and do right.

IAMBREAD
03-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Was she hot?!

Lefty-Canuck
03-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Was she hot?!

.....some guys will do anything for a date :thinking-006:

Lefty

firegod74
03-31-2011, 05:35 PM
Scam or not you did a good deed. I could see it being legit. Allot of people come to Alberta for "The Alberta Advantage" only to be severely let down when they get here.

sureshot
03-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Whether you got scammed or not it shows you are a wonderful person with a big heart. We need more people like you. And it's comforting to know there are still people out there that care.

Andy

thrude1
03-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Well done.thats all i can say!

RLG
03-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Well done, that was a classy move that most people would never of made me included. Its a shame society has become so protective of ourselves, negative and suspicious of each other that we can't even be sure you wern't suckered. If you were you'll never know anyway, so why think about it.

So Nova *!%
03-31-2011, 07:12 PM
This explains it perfectly. I have done the same and walked away knowing that my generosity might have helped, or i'm out some cash. True giving comes with no strings attached.

Dodger.

100%
there is something about a cheerful giver as well!
and to you , those who give, keep up the good work you are known by your fruit

huntinstuff
03-31-2011, 07:34 PM

Man, I have typed, and retyped my response to this. ........ I really got on a roll then I realized you are a grown up who can make their own mind up. It's called freedom. I am not in any position to tell anyone how to conduct themselves.......so I deleted it and started over......I deleted that too....

Let's put it this way. If it were me at the gas station, I would have filled up, paid for my gas, she would have got told "no" and I would have left.

There are more dead Christians than there are living Christians. I prefer not to casually court danger.

I'm gonna guess that the hotel you took her to was on Gateway Blvd, perhaps the Advantage Motel, or the Derrick, or the South Bend or Gateway?

For once, I hope I am completely wrong and this was a legitimate case of a good person who truly needed to meet someone like you...........but I doubt it with every fibre of my being

outdoors forever
03-31-2011, 09:28 PM
OK, first, I was really starting to question wether I was wrong for over a year and didn't realize that SSAMR is in fact a dude! What with all the "good on you, sir" and "your the man" comments, I really was worried! :sHa_sarcasticlol: I thought for sure SSAMR was a family loving, God fearing, big hearted, BIG deer killin girl ( her daughters too! ) - wow, that threw me for a sec!

On topic here - I think you did a wonderful thing. Does it matter if she WAS a user or a hooker or a run-a-way? I don't think so. The fact that she accepted the room and didn't just ask for the money says something. She probably really DID need help for a few days.

Anytime I get asked for money from a street person, or a sketchy character, I always ask what they need it for, and if they say food or a warm drink, I will offer to buy them food or a warm drink. One time last year I was going into Subway and a dirty, tired looking guy with a blind eye asked if I could spare a few bucks for some food. I asked him if I could buy him a sub and he was extremely happy to accept. Seeing him sit down and eat a chicken sub gave me more satisfaction than handing him a twoonie and watching him walk away.

Good for you, SSAMR.

Ken07AOVette
03-31-2011, 09:31 PM
SSAMR is a Lady.

A nice lady.