PDA

View Full Version : Rob's Response to Positive Reinforcement Thread

Rob Miskosky
03-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Some of the PMs I have received over the past several hours and the messages left here have been very rewarding, and for that I thank you.

I have come to realize that the Alberta Outdoorsmen forum is much more than just a message board, indeed, it is a place of knowledge that has taught and continues to teach our younger members the value of our hunting, fishing and trapping heritage. AO has provided a platform that allows the draw of information for so many it is inspiring to say the least.

I had forgotten about the mandate of the magazine and this forum, thanks Redfrog for reminding me.

And thanks to everybody for reminding me of the many other good things that come from this forum – you are correct in stating that the good far outweighs the bad.

My frustration, however, is born from what takes place behind the scenes here. I doubt it is understood the magnitude of work required to keep this place functioning within a sensible manner. I awake each morning to an inbox of problems – some small and easy to deal with, others not so easy. Many I pass on to others to deal with, but I try to handle as many as I can myself.

And admin and the mods are embattled with a daily dose of problems that mostly stem from a group of individuals who are members here for reasons that may not be so pure. We try to weed them out but quite often they return under a new alias and continue creating problems - I can’t overstate how tirelessly admin and the mods work to keep this forum clean. It is not an easy task, but it is an endless and thankless one.

I only ask that each of us think twice before hitting the “post” button. Sometimes not saying anything says more than writing a diatribe of thoughtless words that are sure to invoke a war of words. Many excellent threads have been derailed by this infighting and this must end. Not just for my sake or for the sake of the mods, but rather for the integrity of our outdoors community. A community that has much to lose if we don’t learn how to respect each other and pass that respect on to the next generation of hunters, anglers and trappers who are learning from our actions here. Let’s make sure they learn the right way, not the wrong way.

Someone once said, “If you know where to stop and you stop there, you will never be disgraced.”

Let’s try and remember that next time we feel compelled to enter into a verbal war on a public forum that is read by thousands, including those who would rather see us fail.

Thanks to those of you who use this forum in the respectful manner it deserves. You truly are an inspiration to me, and to this community... our community. Because AO truly belongs to all of us.

Rob

sheephunter
03-31-2011, 12:34 PM
:)

This board is really making a difference to our hunting, fishing and trapping communities Rob but it's easy to see how you can become frustrated at times. Keep up the good work!

Albertadiver
03-31-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for your thoughts Rob.

A mandate that we should remind ourselves of more often. I'm as guilty as the next guy of getting carried away, so I appologize for that. Now that spring is thinking of being sprung, gotta head outdoors for a while!

timsesink
03-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Thanx Rob, I absolutely love this board, I spend WAY to much time on here, this board has hooked me up with some awesome guys for some awesome hunts!

Stop Staring at my Rack
03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks Rob
Sorry for the frustration this forum has brought you.
This forum is a great wealth of information and knowledge. I hope that this will remind us all not to take advantage of the generosity you have shown by providing this forum free and all it takes to keep it running!
like has been said think before you post!

Lefty-Canuck
03-31-2011, 01:07 PM
Well said Rob!

Well in my short time here I have learned it is a good idea and take a deep breath before hitting that send button....I am sure Rob and the Mods would like us to do it as well......save them time and headaches. The in-fighting detracts from the value of the forums when things get derailed. Too often meaningful posts turn nasty fast, its ok to disagree its the name calling and antagonizing that steam rolls quickly. Not trying to be a golden boy cause I have fallen into it as well.

Lefty

209x50
03-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks Rob, the value of this board to the outdoor community is beyond measure. Many look to the board as a source of entertainment. I see the incredible power, the tool you have given the Alberta sportsman to use to make their voice heard at all levels of the government.
Thank you, Rich

thumper
03-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Amen Rob - well said.

densa44
03-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Maybe ways that we can help. There are some pretty sharp people on here from every age group.

Maybe we could add a category like; Posts that should not be on a web site.

or; Posts that should be deleted immediately

or a section for the mentally unstable who just want to fight with one another.

or maybe make it less anonymous, many of know to whom we are speaking to as it is. Many have helped me with pm's

I'm glad you have hear just what a wonderful creation that you have and I might add what a loyal following!

Three cheers for ROB!!!

huntfishtrap
03-31-2011, 04:05 PM
This Forum is certainly second to none. The amount of work it takes I could not comprehend, and most importantly the lost time to family making sure this runs properly (which is why it is so sucessful). I can see you probably read every thread and post that goes through this Forum which is truly a daunting task. The Mods as well have done a great job and I think they have been more than fair with Members.

I do however see in the last little while some of the infighting has toned down, and probably after Members read some of this it will subside. That would be my wish.

Yes the Forum is a source of Entertainment but more importantly it is a voice and I might add a very large one to Hunters, Anglers and Trappers issues and a great place to exchange ideas and information.

That being said an old mentor of mine just use to say...count to ten before you push send.

Thanks Rob and let's keep this powerful Forum building momentum.

hayseed
03-31-2011, 04:34 PM
Thx Rob, Admin, and mods for the Forum, and to many years of continued success....:)

snaky
03-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Thx. Rob.

Someone once said and I believe it has been said here; :snapoutofit:

Better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all dought.

getasheep
03-31-2011, 07:07 PM
A big thank-you to Rob and all the Mods.

I read 100x more than I post and see immense power in this forum. A term often used is social capital when describing the ability of a group of people to enact action or change. This may be as simple as the sharing of ideas, or as large as changing policy and actions in the world. AO does this, and often! It is a medium for the opinions of a likeminded group of people. Its successes are astounding.

I can only imagine the trash that has to be removed to maintain this board. Should there ever be a way I can help I would certainly be willing.

moose maniac
03-31-2011, 08:28 PM
thanks for your hard work rob

Dark Wing
03-31-2011, 08:41 PM
AO is second to none and is probably one of the classiest outdoor forums out there. Thanks Rob.

jungleboy
03-31-2011, 10:54 PM
:grouphug:

Redfrog
03-31-2011, 11:30 PM
There's not a lot of people who can say they make a difference. By providing this opportunity to gather and discuss issues, you can say you have made a difference Rob.:happy0180:

Selkirk
04-01-2011, 12:57 AM
. . . I only ask that each of us think twice before hitting the “post” button. Sometimes not saying anything says more than writing a diatribe of thoughtless words that are sure to invoke a war of words . . . Someone once said, “If you know where to stop and you stop there, you will never be disgraced.” . . . Rob

X2 to that ^ :happy0034:

Rob ... I didn't post on your other thread about this subject because by the time I saw it, so many others had already said my thoughts ten times over.

All I can say is, for every one of the trolls/creeps/lowlifes that lurk here, there's got to be at least a 100+ 'Good Folks' here who make this forum a GREAT place to be.

My parting shot ... 'Hats Off' to the AO!

http://guardianangelsforpets.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/hats-off.jpg

TF

sparky660
04-01-2011, 10:58 AM
The wealth of knowledge that people bring to this forum is amazing. I am one of many that have become a better outdoorsmen because of it.The work the Mods and Admins do as well as the quality of members that are always there to give sound advice make this the best hunting and fishing forum going. Thank you guys for the hard work and keep it up!!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

firegod74
04-01-2011, 11:24 AM
I've seen many a post turn into a war of words. Sometimes not even a war, but a bunch of mud slinging at new posters that haven't read or searched previous posts. Not the best way to welcome new people.
Sometimes I wonder if it would help if we could lock threads we start. So if I start a thread and it starts to get out of hand, I could lock it and stop the squabbles before your inbox is filled with complaints. I don't know if that could be done or not, but it could take some of the load off of you and back on us.

Cal Rakach
04-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Rob, Keep up the good work.
I wanted to let you know that it is very frequently AO Magazine and AO forum surfaces in conversation with us ACA, AOC, AFGA, ATA etc types in our discussions around the table.
AO forum is a great way, at least for me, to stay on top of what is going on, what us outdoors types are thinking, what are the concerns and guide direction we should head.
AO and Forum is an incredible tool for conservation in Alberta
Cheers
Cal

timsesink
04-01-2011, 01:16 PM
Met you yesterday at the Outdoor Show Rob, keep up the great work!

timba
04-01-2011, 01:19 PM
thanks for a great site and all the hard work every one puts in here.

timba

TreeGuy
04-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Most never saw this or heard about it but.....

Recently, there was a member here by the name of, Cody. He was the owner of an American based competing forum and was using this one to promote his own.

So it dawned upon many of us that night that badmouthing him just wasn't enough. So we all joined his upstart forum and ran roughshod. It was like AO Gone Wild! :lol:

Last I checked in, he's still trying to help one of the guys upload pics of the 6' trophy Alberta squirrel he took!!! :lol: :lol:

Eventually, BB416 locked the thread down, and I'll always remember what he said.

[sic] "An army of 20,000 is a powerful one! lol"

Truer words have never been spoken. Keep up the good work!

Skinnydipper
04-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Rob

I take great value from this forum and truely admire the patience of the mods and yourself. It's a thankless job most days but once in a long while you get to see the glimmer of true humanity and it recharges you somehow. Thank you!

Thinlizzy
04-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Rob,

The wife has facebook which doesn't interest me the least.
I am on this site daily.
I read it each morning before work, at work I take a peak and then again when I get home.
There are a lot of great people using this site and speaking as one I
really appreciate it.
I may not be able to be in the bush everyday since I work a regular job.
Having said that at least I can check out the threads everyday and it doesn't feel that long till the next outing.
Another huge bonus to this site is that although I have friends I don't have any that appreciate hunting and fishing as much as I do.
Not a problem since I can easily get my fill on the forum and its easy to find passion on this site.
Its also cool to get tips and learn from guys like TJ and you and other sportsmen.

A big THANKS to you and all the staff that work on this site!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

Jwood 456
04-01-2011, 10:54 PM
I have been reading this forum for about two years and is probably where I spent much of my internet time and I really enjoyed all of the great info, storys and e.t.c.

When I finally was so bored from winter and not being able to go out fishing for a while I decided to join the forum. Boy, when I joined this forum it wasn't long after that my bordom lifted and I felt very relieved. I don't think I would have made it through this winter without this forum.lol I have been on this forum for about a few months now and I don't know what to say besides it has been such a great exprience for me so far. I have become much better at catching big pike over two months from the great tips that some great forum members have given me. This forum is basically a new hobby that I have found to keep me from getting bored when I am not out there enjoying the outdoors. In other words when I can't get to the outdoors, I certainly don't get bored when on this forum.

I just find it a great experince to share thoughts and ideas with people all across the province who all have common interests. I enjoy all of the good natured humor, great storys, great info and e.t.c. on here.

Most of the comments I have seen on here so far, have been polite, positive, informative, helpful and humerous in a good way.

Keep up the good work Rob and the moderators. Again without this forum, I would just be sitting here bored right now.

WkndWarrior
04-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Rob I can't imagine life without the AO forum! Agreed we need to know where the line in the sand is on many issues that we will never all agree on. Choosing to agree to disagree is a suitable outcome for many topics....

If I'm not hunting I'm thinking of hunting and this is where I go. THANK YOU to all who keep this forum running!

leo
04-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Rob, Mod's, a big thank you again. This Outdoor forum is by far the best form of entertainment and knowledge on the internet IMO.:sHa_shakeshout: