PDA

View Full Version : My new Ecoboost!

nicemustang
03-31-2011, 08:40 PM
Well I'm on the wagon. Ordered my new truck long ago but knew the Ecoboost production was delayed start and would be tough getting it here in a timely manner with the rail lines and freight yards the way they are. But it finally came and picked her up today and it was worth the wait. I have drove one before but only for a short period of time. I'll be driving it lots this weekend to test her out but so far VERY impressed. So far my average gas mileage is 13.5 L/100km, but only have 65 km on it so far and haven't really been babying it.

Here's for all you ford guys! She's a beauty. Still waiting on my toneau cover though but should be ready Sat.

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Misc/IMG_2181.jpg

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Misc/IMG_2182.jpg

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Misc/IMG_2183.jpg

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp140/nicemustang11/Misc/IMG_2184.jpg

Will be at Beaver Lake sunday, so if you see me come say hi. I fish on the far west side point.

blackmamba
03-31-2011, 09:03 PM
love that blue !! nice looking rig !!!

mamba

sheephunter
03-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Nice looking rig. What motor did you get?

ram crazy
03-31-2011, 09:15 PM
Nice looking rig. What motor did you get?

It's an Ecoboost!!!

bb356
03-31-2011, 09:19 PM
It's an Ecoboost!!!

Is that an electric motor ??? ;)

New Hunter Okotoks
03-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Is that an electric motor ??? ;)

No it has the Eco AND the Boost covered with one motor. It gets great gas mileage and has great performance.

Nice ride Chris.

trophybook
03-31-2011, 09:27 PM
turbo?

ram crazy
03-31-2011, 09:29 PM
turbo?

Twin turbo!!!

ogre
03-31-2011, 09:35 PM
Congrats Mustang, she's a beaut!

sheephunter
03-31-2011, 09:36 PM
It's an Ecoboost!!!

Ya I know...they make 4 of them...lol

nicemustang
03-31-2011, 09:37 PM
3.5 L V6 Twin turbo. 365 HP and 412 Ft lb torque. Large torque curve just like a diesel. Drives like a diesel and when that turbo spools, it takes off like a rocket.

nicemustang
03-31-2011, 09:38 PM

Only one is code name ecoboost. You can tell by the decal on the door or the license plate holder is off to the side, on directly in the middle for air flow.

ram crazy
03-31-2011, 09:42 PM

They only make one Ecoboost engine!!!

Albertadiver
03-31-2011, 09:46 PM
Nice looking rig, I've got the 2010 in the same colour. Enjoy! I've had mine just under a year and very happy with it.

sheephunter
03-31-2011, 09:46 PM

Ah right you are. I was thinking they made four engines for the 150. Forgot only the one was designated ecoboost. My bad.

ram crazy
03-31-2011, 09:56 PM
That's Ok TJ it's been a long day. :sign0176:

827rotax
03-31-2011, 10:03 PM
awesomr truck man, keep us posted, I might be in for one too!!

Slannesh
03-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Hrm... well now I need to find an extra 600 bucks or so a month ;)

Thanks a lot!

awesome truck man, yer gonna get me in trouble with the wife.

blackonblackfx4
03-31-2011, 10:41 PM

Actually ford has started Eco boost on many of their engines including the all new not only euro but first global focus ST with a 2L Eco boost 6 speed producing 247hp.

For those people who don't know what Eco boost is. It's fords new twin turbo very fuel efficient lineup with incredible horsepower and tourqe.

Visit www.ford.ca

When your ready to order or buy or have questions one send me a PM and I'll make anyone a good deal.

Rockymtnx
03-31-2011, 11:32 PM
412 Ft lb torque. Large torque curve just like a diesel.
Its just missing about 400 Ft lbs of torque though. ;)
Very nice truck though.
You will have to update us on the motor/fuel in 10,000-15,000km.

ram crazy
04-01-2011, 06:11 AM
Actually ford has started Eco boost on many of their engines including the all new not only euro but first global focus ST with a 2L Eco boost 6 speed producing 247hp.

For those people who don't know what Eco boost is. It's fords new twin turbo very fuel efficient lineup with incredible horsepower and tourqe.

Visit www.ford.ca

When your ready to order or buy or have questions one send me a PM and I'll make anyone a good deal.

I don't think they put a 2L into a truck, the only other one I could find that is made in North America was in some of the cars but it is the same engine 3.5L twin turbo with just 350 ft/lbs of torque.

calgarygringo
04-01-2011, 06:18 AM
I want to see one in an F250 for trailer towing. This engine supposed to rock for speed, mileage and towing but the weak spot is the f150 weight capacity. If they would drop one of these in a 250 it would be the cats meow. It could tow just about any bigger trailer and I can load up the back of the truck at the same time and be able to afford to put gas in it to drive to work every day. It is an awesome machine for what it is. I have read lots of reports from guys that have them and they are working awesome.

blackonblackfx4
04-01-2011, 07:06 AM
I don't think they put a 2L into a truck, the only other one I could find that is made in North America was in some of the cars but it is the same engine 3.5L twin turbo with just 350 ft/lbs of torque.

I didn't say they dropped it in the F150, it's in the compact 2012 focus ST edition.

timba
04-01-2011, 07:11 AM
very nice

firegod74
04-01-2011, 10:02 AM
If you don't mind me asking, what was the final price with the ecoboost? I think this exact truck will be my next one. Probably yours since I won't be able to afford a 2011 till about the time you trade it in.

nicemustang
04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
I'll send you a PM.

The Fisherman Guy
04-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Nice truck Musty, even if it is a Ford ;)

AB2506
04-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Nice truck!

My FX4 Ecoboost (Sterling grey metallic) should be arriving within the next 10 days. Can't wait!

laker taker2
06-17-2011, 09:32 PM
i got mine 2.5 weeks ago. same truck, 2011 ecoboost. it lasted 3 days. 309km to be exact. blew transmission oil all over my driveway. took it in the next day and haven't got it back yet. dealer says the parts aren't available to fix it. needless to say I am super ****ed. no ETA. told them to give me my money back and I'll go get something else. what a joke...........

WCTHEMI
06-17-2011, 09:41 PM
i got mine 2.5 weeks ago. same truck, 2011 ecoboost. it lasted 3 days. 309km to be exact. blew transmission oil all over my driveway. took it in the next day and haven't got it back yet. dealer says the parts aren't available to fix it. needless to say I am super ****ed. no ETA. told them to give me my money back and I'll go get something else. what a joke...........

That sucks, hope the dealer takes care of you.

AB2506
06-17-2011, 09:45 PM
I've had mine since April 29th. Love it!

Sakoman
06-17-2011, 09:52 PM
I have one since March and so far it has been great. When the twin turbo's kick in it has quite the punch. Have not got used to the fact it does not sound like the V8's one is used to.

Ken07AOVette
06-17-2011, 10:13 PM

What dealer?

And to the OP, nice ride! Good color!

Cattle Dog
06-17-2011, 10:16 PM
EcoBust ? or EcoBoost ?

After the warranty runs out, i wonder what maintenance costs will be;

Ford hypes the horsepower and torque, so like a previous poster said:
if it is so great, why not put it in to the 3/4 tons and 1 tons?

I am not confident of ford, but all the best of luck with your new truck;
all new trucks are beautiful in the eyes of their beholders/owners.

338Bluff
06-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Nice truck. I bought the same model and color, but chickened out on the Ecoboost. I went with the new 5.0 L engine. Want to see how you guys make out in a year or two on those turbo chargers.

No complaints yet. Averaging 12.0 per 100 km on the hiway driving it like a normal person. If you set the cruise at 99 and have a little tailwind you can get closer to 11.0 per 100 km. Verified it with odometer and gas reciepts.

Overall, 2011 F150 (5.0 L) has decent ride and ok power for a light pickup.

fordtruckin
06-18-2011, 02:01 AM
nice lookin truck! Definately love the blue!

nicemustang
07-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Ironically two separate people PM'd me about this in the last couple days, so I'll post and update.

I have almost 10K on it already and couldn't be happier. It gets anywhere between 12-14 l/100 km on hiway depending on my travel speed and wind. I usually travel 10-15 km/hr over the speed limit by habit. I once went to saskatoon and a tail wind at 105 km/hr set on cruise with my Grandma (she doesn't like to go fast lol) and it was saying 11.5. Doesn't seem to matter much if my quad is in the bed but then I guess I do try to not go over 110. Most of my driving is to and from the farm and around it. I usually have something in the bed. It is all gravel roads and lots of stop and go and short trips. It averages 16 L/100 km this way. I would compare that to city driving. It does seem to be getting better as well as it breaks in.

I do tow quite often. I have a 5000 lb boat/trailer and have towed a 1500 US gallon water tank which I guess would be close to 12000 lbs. Although most of the towing has been on gravel roads and haven't be really givin' 'er around. I have only been on the highway with the boat twice. Towing the boat I seem to get around 16-17 l/100 km. Towing the 12000 water tank and big ass trailer is much worse i'm sure but have only been back and forth 6 miles at a time. Surprisingly it tows it quite well. The motor is strong and it tows much better than my old 5.4L. The engine has yet to down shift on me while set on cruise control (unless really really steep hills) and you just hear the turbo spool up. Wish there was a boost gauge though. All in all very happy with the ecoboost.

On a side note, my friend has one as well but in a XLT 5.5 foot box s-crew. The axel ratio in that is 3.31 (compared to my FX4 which has 3.73). He easily gets 15-20% more efficiency and power difference is not noticable. His boat is bigger than mine and I couldn't tell a difference. I think the 3.73 is too large of gears for this engine if you are after efficiency, but it sure helps the towing end I'm sure.

I know there are lots of others who are doubting it still but it really is an awesome engine. It is very comparable to a diesel. Dad runs a new 6.7L and trucks run very similar with torque curves and towing ability. Obviously the 1 ton can do much more, but very comparable. As for the sound...when you punch it down, I love the sound. Yeah not deep V8, but man it sounds like high powered machine. Just different I guess and you get used to it.

prodogg02
07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
very nice truck just curious on price i have an 06 f150 lariat with 189000km an my be tradn it in debating on going new (so costly now ) or get a used with lower km . i drive like a grandma 100 to 105 and get between 10l per100km to 13 depending on wind i can tow my boat to fawcett lake an back on half tank.my 5.4l puss engine is like 240hp its crazy that a 412hp 5.0l can get same milage i am a ticketed auto and heavy duty tech and know more power is more fuel. guess its PFM

nicemustang
07-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Its the technology i guess. Years ago we were happy with 10 MPG when it was .50 a liter. Prices for new trucks have never been better IMO.

209x50
07-13-2011, 08:56 PM
Sandi just bought a 2011 5 liter.

blackonblackfx4
07-13-2011, 08:59 PM
If anyone has questions about the Ecoboost or 5.0L send me a PM! I can help anyone find a good deal on the truck with the exact equipment you'd like as well.

Or send me a email inquiry to my work adress icloutier@okford.ca

No pressure, just want to help

The Elkster
07-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Prices for new trucks have never been better IMO.

LOLOLOL if you only look at your monthly payment and mortgage it out over 20 years maybe! Never been better....really?

ccmckee
07-14-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is scared of "turbo's" they've been around a long time on diesels of all shapes and sizes.The only maintenance they need is clean oil and air filter, otherwise they just sit there and whistle. My '96 dodge stock turbo went 325,000 km's with no issues,i only upgradeed it for more more boost with my bigger injectors. I think it's about time they started using more of them on gassers that extra 5or 6 psi(i guessing that's probably all they are putting out ) of intake pressure sure helps run things more efficiently. Glad to here they are working well.

Jamie Black R/T
07-14-2011, 08:49 AM
It is very comparable to a diesel. Dad runs a new 6.7L and trucks run very similar with torque curves and towing ability.

Apples to Oranges.

I cant wait till John Deere starts putting 6 cylinder gas jobs with turbos in their equipment!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I joke, I joke.

Glad you are happy with your truck and good to hear it is doing all it was intended for. To compete with a diesel in towing ability was not it though.

Torque curve and peak torque numbers are two different things.

nicemustang
07-14-2011, 10:11 AM
LOLOLOL if you only look at your monthly payment and mortgage it out over 20 years maybe! Never been better....really?

$500 a month with 0% interest is pretty good with me. You can make some pretty good deals. Back in 08 when I made a deal on a XLT for $35K I thought it was good as well...until I can get this unit for $42. I think that's damn good.

Jamie Black R/T
07-14-2011, 11:09 AM
until I can get this unit for $42. I think that's damn good.

Thousand!!??!

ouch :scared0018:

209x50
07-14-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is scared of "turbo's" they've been around a long time on diesels of all shapes and sizes.The only maintenance they need is clean oil and air filter, otherwise they just sit there and whistle. My '96 dodge stock turbo went 325,000 km's with no issues,i only upgradeed it for more more boost with my bigger injectors. I think it's about time they started using more of them on gassers that extra 5or 6 psi(i guessing that's probably all they are putting out ) of intake pressure sure helps run things more efficiently. Glad to here they are working well.
The only thing that scared me off the turbo model was the boost they are running at. One heck of a lot more than the one on my diesel that I had to replace.

Stinky Buffalo
07-14-2011, 11:38 AM
Congrats on the new truck!

I had one out for a spin a few weeks back and was definitely impressed. For me it would be a tough choice between that and the 5.0. My neighbour has that engine and is quite happy with it. As far as fuel economy goes, it's not rated far behind the EcoBoost (based on the window sticker - take that for what it's worth). :thinking-006:

What I like about both engines is that there's all this room in the engine compartment... I've missed that. :D

The Elkster
07-14-2011, 01:18 PM
$500 for 7 years I trust. Wasn't long ago there was no such thing as 7 year loan/mortgage. I believe they have 20 year trailer financing too making monthly payments seem very "affordable".

nicemustang
07-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Wow, i guess theres a lot of "older" people on here that think trucks are close to free and it only cost a nickel for a cup of coffee. Stop complaining about the price of everything. Who cares what I spent on it anyway? My money my choice. I have a truck cause I NEED a truck and I don't choose a cheap car for a reason. I can't farm without it and it pays for itself over the years. This ain't the 60's people.

Bound2Fish
07-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Wow, i guess theres a lot of "older" people on here that think trucks are close to free and it only cost a nickel for a cup of coffee. Stop complaining about the price of everything. Who cares what I spent on it anyway? My money my choice. I have a truck cause I NEED a truck and I don't choose a cheap car for a reason. I can't farm without it and it pays for itself over the years. This ain't the 60's people.

I think you got a good price on it Chris, my truck I paid 82k and change and almost had to get you to come pull me out this winter. Looks like a great truck and as long as your happy with it, thats all that matters. Some people spend half of what you paid for a sled during winter that they dont really need. Your truck is more of an investment as you need it for farming. BTW how are things out there?

blackonblackfx4
07-14-2011, 04:10 PM

+ with employee pricing going on right now you can get into a new truck pretty well at cost. It works out to like up to $14,000 off a new truck depending what options and configurations.

Everyone is generalizing a truck like there all the same, a Lariat or Platinum is a very different truck from a basic XL bench seat 4x4.

STX 4x4 = $30,000

Platinum 4x4 = $60,000

both 4x4 f150's

The Elkster
07-14-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm not old at all just a conservative spender in a debt ridden world:) Being young and debt free has its priviledge. I would agree that 42k for a truck that is truly worked isn't a bad deal these days. No offense intended.

Reeves1
07-14-2011, 05:23 PM
nicemustang - that is the new paint code "SZ" ? I like that color ! I will be talking with a paint shop at some point, to see if there is something to make it "pop" a bit more. Does it have a pearl coat ?

bb356
07-14-2011, 05:36 PM
nicemustang - that is the new paint code "SZ" ? I like that color ! I will be talking with a paint shop at some point, to see if there is something to make it "pop" a bit more. Does it have a pearl coat ?

Are you going to paint the PINTO ??? :)

Reeves1
07-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Are you going to paint the PINTO ??? :)

After all the new mechanical work is done, yes.
(sorry for the high jack)
Many changes will be done first.
Main reason for buying this car was most of the important work has been done. Now to improve on this base......

bb356
07-14-2011, 05:53 PM
After all the new mechanical work is done, yes.
(sorry for the high jack)
Many changes will be done first.
Main reason for buying this car was most of the important work has been done. Now to improve on this base......

COOL !!! White is for Refrigerator's and Bathtubs !!! :)

nicemustang
07-14-2011, 07:14 PM

Correct. Paint code SZ and it is metallica pearl. Very nice when it's clean. But out here on mostly gravel that isn't often LOL.

Yes farming is going great! Just trying to avoid the white combine lol.

nicemustang
07-14-2011, 07:15 PM
COOL !!! White is for Refrigerator's and Bathtubs !!! :)

Normally I'd agree wih you...funny how white is a color that stays very clean and doesn't show the dust. Wife's car is white and stays a lot cleaner (looking) than mine.

bb356
07-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Normally I'd agree wih you...funny how white is a color that stays very clean and doesn't show the dust. Wife's car is white and stays a lot cleaner (looking) than mine.

I know what your saying ...........mines black............silver is probably the best for hiding grime !!! Hope you don't see the white combine ............. how the crops look ???

nicemustang
07-14-2011, 08:07 PM
They are excellent right now around our area. Here's hoping it stays cause the prices are unreal.

fordtruckin
07-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Congrats on the new truck!

What I like about both engines is that there's all this room in the engine compartment... I've missed that. :D

Hands down definately a bonus no matter which of the big 3 it is. Room in the Engine compartment is must if you want to do anything yourself. Thats the main reason I'm gunna get a mid 70's Ford when I find one at a decent price. Perfect farm/hunting/back road truck!

tbiddy
09-08-2011, 05:47 AM
Anymore input on these engines? Looking for a new truck and interested in these. Been looking at a 3/4 ton for pulling a trailer but by the sounds of it these pull pretty good.

nicemustang
10-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Another update.

Have close to 20000km on the truck now. I haven't been doing much standard road driving until recently after harvest, so here is an update on the mileage.

Went to saskatoon a couple weeks ago, round trip in normal conditions and mileage was 12.1 l/100km at 115 km/hr including city driving. Went to Hudson bay area for some hunting and one way going there with a slight tail win but quad in box got 11.8 L/100km. Not sure what the return trip was. Pulled an empty 7000 lb flat bed trailer from Saskatoon to Calgary which was 12.8 l/100km. Return trip with a loaded truck box and roughly 5000 lbs on the trailer was 14.9 l/100km also with a slight tail wind most of the way (trailer dry is 1200 lbs). This past weekend I towed a 20' trailer with 4 quads, 4 dudes and enough gear for 2 days hunting. 500 kms round trip. 2 elk in box on way home. 1 tank of fuel and 15.3 l/100km.

Also if you want it just for mileage and don't want the FX4 with the 3.73 rear end (which as I stated is too high for this engine), my buddy with the 3.31 rear end got 10.8 l/100km to regina when we went to a football game.

So far the mileage has been getting better as it's broke in but it's probably peaked for me. My running average on the truck is 14.8l/100km in total as I do a lot of farm driving with it and quite a bit of towing. My old truck with the 5.4L engine average 18 l/100km. So I'm very happy with it.

SonnyJ
10-02-2011, 08:09 PM
What's that in mpg for us old guys..lol:)

nicemustang
10-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Sorry, I do that just because that's what the truck tells me. And it's pretty much dead on.

12.1 = 23.5
11.8 = 24
12.8 = 22
14.9 = 19
15.3 = 18.5
10.8 = 26.3

camshaft
10-02-2011, 10:57 PM
In us mpg, take 4 off each of those totals roughly....
Or perhaps someone can post the conversion in us mpg

eastcoast
10-03-2011, 06:10 PM
In us mpg, take 4 off each of those totals roughly....
Or perhaps someone can post the conversion in us mpg

12.1 = 19.44mpg
11.8 = 19.93mpg
12.8= 18.37mpg
14.9 = 15.78mpg
15.3 = 15.37mpg
10.8 = 21.77mpg

http://www.calculateme.com/cGasMileage/LitersPer100kmtoMPG.htm

nicemustang
10-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Not sure why US mpg would be important to know since all canadian models are quoted in l/100km or imperial mpg. When I or anyone I know talk mpg we always use 4.54 liters to a gallon.

Also, I don't know anyone actually averaging over 20 us mpg with their trucks, anyone on here do it (full size gas half ton 4x4)??

tonyflyfish
10-03-2011, 09:19 PM
I just bought the F150 XLT Ecoboost. More HP and torque than the GMC 2500 6 litre.
Thought I needed a 3/4ton-I was wrong!
Like your truck NM but why blue when you can get black? lol

nicemustang
10-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Blue is hard enough to keep clean on the gravel roads and at the farm. Should have got white or silver. Oh well. It's good when I get to the city :)

pophouseman
10-04-2011, 08:05 AM
I just bought the F150 XLT Ecoboost. More HP and torque than the GMC 2500 6 litre.
Thought I needed a 3/4ton-I was wrong!
Like your truck NM but why blue when you can get black? lol

X2 :sHa_shakeshout:

eastcoast
10-04-2011, 05:55 PM
black and white are the hardest colours to keep clean.

silver isn't bad, any brown colour is the best.

nicemustang
10-04-2011, 07:44 PM
black and white are the hardest colours to keep clean.

silver isn't bad, any brown colour is the best.

Disagree on the white. If you've ever owned one, the best color for not showing any dirt especially dust is white. Take it from someone who lives on a gravel road. We've had all colors and the best for no dust showing has been white followed by silver. I've never had brown nor ever will for about about 70 more years LOL.

eastcoast
10-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Disagree on the white. If you've ever owned one, the best color for not showing any dirt especially dust is white. Take it from someone who lives on a gravel road. We've had all colors and the best for no dust showing has been white followed by silver. I've never had brown nor ever will for about about 70 more years LOL.

white isn't bad for dust but it's terrible for mud,black is the opposite,silver isn't bad I have a silver vehicle and it's not bad to keep clean, light brown/pewter is the easiest to keep clean though.

bb356
10-04-2011, 08:02 PM

x 1000 !!! :)

sirmike68
10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
I've been a GMC guy my whole life but this motor has me considering a change! Does GM plan something along this line in the future?

nicemustang
10-05-2011, 09:59 PM
I don't think GM has any kind of cool plans for anything in the future. Sorry not biased, but of the big three they are clearly the farthest behind. And I don't mean just trucks...

bb356
10-05-2011, 10:08 PM
I don't think GM has any kind of cool plans for anything in the future. Sorry not biased, but of the big three they are clearly the farthest behind. And I don't mean just trucks...

GM did the v6 turbo thingy a few years back !!! :)

Faststeel
10-05-2011, 11:42 PM
I have the Lariat 2010 loaded Screw and I'm lucky to be getting 15mpg substancially lower than the EPA figures you get from the dealer. I called my sales guy after having it for a few months and told him how poor I thought the mileage was and he assured me I'd notice a real difference around 20 K, still waiting on that............. FS

pophouseman
10-06-2011, 07:51 AM
I have the Lariat 2010 loaded Screw and I'm lucky to be getting 15mpg substancially lower than the EPA figures you get from the dealer. I called my sales guy after having it for a few months and told him how poor I thought the mileage was and he assured me I'd notice a real difference around 20 K, still waiting on that............. FS

Your Mileage should get gradually better from 15 k -19k, but once you hit 20k on the odometer, what you see is what your going to get. most mechanics will tel you that your WORST mileage is from 0- 15000 and then after 185,000

madatter
10-06-2011, 08:42 AM

I agree....I'd rather have a white farm truck than any other color.

tonyflyfish
10-10-2011, 11:22 AM
took mine to Calgary for a few days and averaged 12.4 liters per 100 Km-was impressed. Rides nice and lots of PU when I needed it.
Getting rid of the Goodyear SR2 it came with and going to Duratrac again.
My wife could live in the back seat there is so much room.

Great truck (in black) lol

T