PDA

View Full Version : Winter storm warning my ^%$

bruceba
04-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Ok at what point in time can we safely put winter terminology to bed and use the term spring. I do remember not long ago winter receeded and spring took over but I awaken to this warning about an impending storm coming our way.:(

Lethbridge - Taber - Milk River
4:10 AM MDT Friday 01 April 2011
Winter storm watch for
Lethbridge - Taber - Milk River issued

Significant winter storm possible Saturday The potential for severe winter weather exists over these regions.

A Pacific system is expected to push onshore today and move across the Rockies tonight. As a result snow and windy conditions will develop for southwestern regions of the province overnight tonight as upslope flow conditions intensify. By Saturday evening the warned regions will see 15 to 25 cm of snow with winds of 40 to 50 km/h expected in exposed areas accompanied by blowing snow. The storm will persist into Sunday.

For areas further to the north and east, snowfall amounts are less certain associated with the track and intensity of the system. Additionally ground temperatures are fairly warm and a lot of the precipitation will likely melt on contact.

TheClash
04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
yup should read spring storm warning....i am really hoping it is an april fools joke lol

nicemustang
04-01-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm totally done with this winter or weather...arrgh.

Lefty-Canuck
04-01-2011, 10:13 AM
WOW I thought this was another attempt at an April Fool's.....but Its not I just pulled this from the AMA website, I feel for you guys we have had sun and plus temps in Edmonton that past 2 days and I am contemplating pulling out a lawn chair in the meter and a half snow banks in my back yard....

From AMA Website...

Calgary

Highway alert: Environment Canada has issued a heavy snowfall warming for Okotoks and High River. Snowfall developing overnight tonight and by Saturday evening, 15 to 25 centimeters of snow with blowing snow is expected.

Show additional regional information

Southern Alberta

Highway alert: Highway 535 in Tilley, between Highway 873 and 875 is closed due to flooding. Highway 848 between highway 570 and 564 in the Drumheller area is closed until further notice due to extreme flooding and mud on the roadway. Environment Canada has issued a heavy snowfall warming for Claresholm, Crowsnest Pass, Pincher Creek, Waterton National Park, Cardston, Fort Macleod and Magrath. Snowfall developing overnight tonight and by Saturday evening, 15 to 25 centimeters of snow with blowing snow is expected.

bruceba
04-01-2011, 10:25 AM
Call it cabin fever but I just had to email environment canada on their teminology. I asked them why they call it a winter storm and I also told them I wanted a job like theirs were accuracy at the end of the day doesn't count and you still have a job the next morning.:)
It's not that the weather effects my day at work but I have a ton of crap I want to do after work and on weekends.

plinker
04-01-2011, 10:31 AM
:angry3::angry3::angry3::angry3::angry3:

:shake: Weather people!!!!!!!!

:waiting4: SPRING!!!!!!!

Nuff Said!

Tracker34
04-01-2011, 11:00 AM

Nuff Said!

X2
Well put.

Kramsky
04-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Yup. Covering a shift for buddy this weekend. Should be interesting:angry3:

sheephunter
04-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Not looking good here either!

Warnings
Airdrie - Cochrane - Olds - Sundre
11:01 AM MDT Friday 01 April 2011
Winter storm warning for
Airdrie - Cochrane - Olds - Sundre upgraded from Winter storm watch

Intense winter storm developing tonight.

This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions...Listen for updated statements.

A Pacific system is starting to push onshore and will move across the Rockies tonight. As a result snow and windy conditions will develop for southern regions of the province tonight.

As ground temperatures are fairly warm the snow is initially expected to melt on contact. However by Saturday evening the warned regions will see 15 to 25 centimetres. With winds of 30 to 40 km/h expected in exposed areas blowing snow will also result. The storm will persist into Sunday.

bessiedog
04-01-2011, 12:30 PM
the parts of the crow that i like to fish have just started shaping up!
Now the white stuff is supposed to whack us.....
The kids just asked me dig the ski gear back out.

I like winter, but im done with it.

AbAngler
04-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm sick of this ****. Lightly snowing downtown Calgary.

ccmckee
04-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Well it is April after all and this when we typically get the big dumps of snow around these parts. Gues i'll be plowing with the quad this weekend.

coyotekiller
04-01-2011, 01:04 PM

Nuff Said!

well put indeed

Grizzly Adams
04-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Well it is April after all and this when we typically get the big dumps of snow around these parts. Gues i'll be plowing with the quad this weekend.

Absolutely. Wife has been predicting it for the last two weeks.:lol: I just finished cleaning up garbage, at my winter work sites, before it disappears for another month.

Grizz

LongDraw
04-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Historically I believe April is the snowiest month in Alberta.

lilsundance
04-01-2011, 05:21 PM
ok so with the storm warning I cancelled our trip to Lethbridge this weekend. I checked the traffic cams in calgary a few minutes ago and it was raining and possibly mixed snow in there. So by the time I would have gotten there deerfoot probably would have been a skating rink.