PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary Fuel Tanks

dumoulin
04-01-2011, 03:48 PM
So I'm thinking of getting a 90 gal. auxiliary fuel tank for my '10 Dodge. This would be a gravity feed unit (checker plate with a toolbox) which would mount in the box of my pickup. Anyone here have any experience (good or bad) with this type of tank? The model I'm looking at is an RDS 72772...

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/auto-auxiliary.html

rockydave
04-01-2011, 06:35 PM
how do you plan on getting the fuel from the auxiliary tank into your trucks tank?

827rotax
04-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I would look at a transfer flow tank and replace the existing. You cannot legally plumb in an aux tank. With transfer flow you can haul 300 liters if its a long box

Reeves1
04-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Save the box for hauling stuff !

http://www.titanfueltanks.com/Dodge_Fuel_Tank.htm

Phil67
04-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Seen em all over the years, they all work and several plumb options available. As to illegal to plumb in, who checks them. Most important, if you want to keep your warrenty on the expensive fuel system parts you need a aux fuel filter. Been at a dodge dealer a long time pm me for a solution that warrenty finds acceptable.

steve
04-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Save the box for hauling stuff !

http://www.titanfueltanks.com/Dodge_Fuel_Tank.htm

x2

dale7637
04-01-2011, 11:41 PM
I really like those Titan fuel tanks. Is there anywhere local that supplies those in alberta?

skidderman
04-02-2011, 05:49 AM
I really like those Titan fuel tanks. Is there anywhere local that supplies those in alberta?

There is a dealer in Edmonton and not sure but I would be surprised if there wasn't a dealer in Calgary. Just look it up either on kijiji or the internet. They are expensive but I wouldn't mind one myself.

slingshot
04-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Put in a transfer tank from truck outfitters poly tank in checkerplate box 58 gallons with electric pump looks like a jockey box

Grizzly Adams
04-02-2011, 08:03 AM
True or not?? All new auxiliary tanks are required to be double walled .

Grizz

Taco
04-02-2011, 09:22 AM

Grizz

Long story short; gasoline yes, diesel no. then there's the difference between transfer tanks and auxiliary tanks.

dumoulin
04-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Soooooo what you guys are telling me is that a guy can't run a gravity fed tank? How would that be any different then having twin tanks like big rigs or older pickup trucks? I guess it's leagal in the States... Why not in Canada?

I took a look at the Titans but they don't offer much more capacity for what you pay PLUS they are a pain to install. From what I can tell, they don't allow you to run both the Titan and the factory tank...To bad!

MountainTi
04-03-2011, 02:52 PM

Grizz

I believe anything 99 gal and under can still be single wall. Don't quote me on that, but pretty sure that's the way it is
edit, here you go, I guess it is actually 450L or less
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/newsletter-fall2004-306.htm

RUM
04-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Had Accuform Welding in Red Deer build me a slip/tool box last summer, turned out quite nice. I shopped around a fair bit on prices, and they seemed to be the best I found.
Mine has the driver side sectioned off about 18" x 28" for a pump/hose, then the balance (42"x28") is for tools/gear. Think there is 14" height for the tool box and 14" for the fuel tank, by 60" wide then 28" deep. In that I can get about 280L, so not the volume you are looking for, but they build it to your specs.
Also, mine went into a 2010 Dodge, so if you are looking for more info, send me a pm.

ctd
04-03-2011, 06:55 PM
gas has to be double walled, diesel single wall.

You can hook in a gravity feed system but it must have a valve on it and not be open with out a control while on the highway. Easily fixed with a electric control valve hooked inline connected to a switch in the cab.

Also check with your insurance provider to see if they will cover you with a slip tank. Some will and some won't usualyl the ones that will charge more money.
Those Titan tanks are nice but expensive.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/tdg/safety-menu.htm

Cattle Dog
04-03-2011, 09:43 PM
Falcan Industries in fort mcleod sold me a flat deck for a one-ton:
and the tank was incorporated into the deck behind the back window,
and it was gravity feed, no valves of any sort, and it worked great.

So the truck is fueled-up by filling thru one hole (the top tank).
The fuel gauge is confused and will register empty until the flatdeck tank gets used up.
Then the gauge works accurate for the tank in the frame.
I always reset my trip odometer each time i fill er up; that way i know about where the fuel quantity is anyways.

And so on a real long trip i throw on a farmer's big slip tank (think it is 135 gal) and manually pump from the slip tank into the flatdeck tank. (the truck is well-loaded when you have all three tanks full; careful driving until the slip tank is 2/3 empty).

Don't forget that sliptanks have to be safety inspected every so often, i believe.