PDA

View Full Version : Effect of extreme cold on spooled rods?

Piers
04-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Just looking for a few quick opinion hits..

I finally got some time with the family away to pull out the tacklebox and rods from the garage and plop em all on the kitchen table.. I'm wondering what people's opinions & experiences are about keeping spooled rods in the garage throughout the winter. You all know how cold we were this winter, so I'm wondering what effect this would have on my lines.

All the reels are clean and the lines are all hooked on an eyelet with slight tension to keep them from falling loose.. I haven't yet run any cotton balls through the guides to check for rough edges but lets assume they're all good.

I've got Fireline Crystal, Berk. Vanish, and Sufix braid spooled at the moment

Cheers

nicemustang
04-01-2011, 04:12 PM
No effect IMO. In fact, storing them in cold like a fridge or freezer for example probably extends the life and less deterioration (sp?).

Sundancefisher
04-01-2011, 04:22 PM
Being as I ice fish at times when it is pretty cold I can't see the problem. IMHO the worst thing for your lines in UV light. Still line does become brittle with age more so than anything else.

Piers
04-01-2011, 04:23 PM
cool.. They're totally out of the light, and all fresh from mid summer last year

Dust1n
04-01-2011, 06:27 PM
they can have an effect on your mono if its frozen and you go to use it. it will deteriate and snap. same with the UV rays only there alot worse.

lifesaflyin
04-01-2011, 07:18 PM
IMHO the worst thing for your lines in UV light. Still line does become brittle with age more so than anything else.

I have about 15 spools from the 60s up to the 80s. from long past family. still as good as new they hold the rated weight.. except for the fly lines. they rotted away. but the nylon leaders and mono survived, and I still use them. bought from army & navy, and w. w. arcade... still have the price stickers on them. $0.82 for 100 yards of berkley 6 lb!!!!
they were kept in a basement in the dark

Dust1n
04-01-2011, 07:37 PM
do have 100yards or clear blue line and it says 49cents for em it breka sas soon as it touches water lost a gliding rap form it.

tacklerunner
04-01-2011, 10:02 PM
If in doubt, take the first 20 feet off. Likely there will be no issue anyways.

Geezle
04-01-2011, 11:33 PM
I can't speak for the fluoro (except to say that Vanish is terrible stuff!) but if the braids are worn it should show. If you're not sure, as suggested peel off 20 yards or so, which will be the stuff that's spent the most time in the water and exposed to UV rays, and you should be fine. If the line still looks discolored/worn keep peeling line off until you get to the stuff that still looks new.

You should get at least a few years out of a spool of decent braided line, unless you do a LOT of fishing with it.

mooseknuckle
04-02-2011, 10:54 AM
I put it in a unit heater just to be safe.