PDA

View Full Version : Random Orbital Sanders suggestions??

rugatika
04-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Looking for a really good sander for doing a desk (initially) and other projects in the future. The bosch seems to get some good reviews, just wondering if anyone here has any recommendations.

Thanks

Twisted Canuck
04-01-2011, 05:37 PM
Well, I've gone through a couple thousand sanding disks with my Dewalt, and it's still going strong. I will have to change the 'hook & loop' backing part on it soon, but may just buy another complete sander as it may cost about the same....I like mine. :)

CaberTosser
04-01-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a Ridgid 5" random orbital sander that's worked well for me. I bought it to replace a DeWalt that had broken for the second and last time on me ( the last DeWalt I have bought, and likely ever will). The Ridgid has stood up to lots of use, and shows no sign of slowing down. I did have to replace the Velcro base plate for the second time, so I had to source a new one from the local warranty depot. I recommend getting your sanding discs in the 25 packs, as the small packs are way overpriced.

BTW TreeGuy: I know it's tempting to comment on the first 5 words of my response, but I'm expecting it, so don't bother :)

7 REM MAG
04-01-2011, 06:39 PM
rigid

Tony_S
04-01-2011, 07:30 PM
I assume your looking for an electric orbital?

You mentioned you want a really good sander....are you talking the big brand names 'good'? If so, I'd go with a Bosch. If you want a REALLY good electric, I'd go with a Festool, Pricey...but can't be beat.

Even better.
If you've got lots of air....Dynabrade.

horsetrader
04-01-2011, 07:42 PM
I got to vote for the dewalt never had any problem with mine

graham1
04-01-2011, 08:09 PM
MAKITA!! Hands down. I've heard that Dewalt has a better warranty department, however I have a couple dozen different Makita tools that I used full time and have never needed their warranty dept.

My $0.02:)

reelhooker
04-01-2011, 08:25 PM
X2 on the Festool. Great tools but you can usually buy 2 of something else for the same money. That being said, if I buy a tool for my own use and festool makes it I will usually buy it.
In the last 5 days one of my festool O-sanders has finish sanded-over 2700 linear feet of 6" material.
So I guess the question is what is your use?

rugatika
04-01-2011, 11:24 PM
my use would be more in line with around 100bucks or so...not professional use...but I like to get a tool that is worth having.

209x50
04-02-2011, 07:27 AM
I have Makita and Bosch both have lasted well, so long that I've replaced the hook and loop pads on them.