PDA

View Full Version : Morinville Rez Winter Killed

HunterDave
04-01-2011, 07:16 PM
I went out to the Morinville Rez just west of the overpass today and had a look at someone's underwater camera. The bottom of the lake was littered with 2 and 3 lb trout at the west end. We moved down towards the deeper water towards the east end and in 3 hours, 6 holes we never had a bite. Unfortunately, I believe that it has winter killed this year. Six hours and not a bite but it was a beautiful day anyway! :)

Garry B
04-01-2011, 11:35 PM
Hi. To bad for the trout. Did you see dead perch too?

Jwood 456
04-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Man, that's an ashame to hear. Perhaps the winterkill will at least kill of the stunted perch so the pond can be restocked with trout without those pesky stunted perch outcompeting the newly stocked trout.

HunterDave
04-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Man, that's an ashame to hear. Perhaps the winterkill will at least kill of the stunted perch so the pond can be restocked with trout without those pesky stunted perch outcompeting the newly stocked trout.

x2 That's the upside I guess. The fella with the camera moved down to the other end of the lake with us and he didn't see any perch. I hadn't fished the lake this year but last year the perch were after your bait as soon as you put your line in the water. After 6 hours of fishing at both ends of the lake and not a bite at 12 holes I think that it's reasonable to assume that the perch are dead as well as the trout. It's a shame about the trout, there were some nice sized ones on the bottom, but I won't miss those perch.

Although I live in Morinville I don't usually fish the lake but this is the first time that I've heard of it winter killing. With the low water levels I'm pretty sure that allot more lakes than normal will be hit this winter. :(

Daceminnow
04-02-2011, 12:27 AM
I went out to the Morinville Rez just west of the overpass today and had a look at someone's underwater camera. The bottom of the lake was littered with 2 and 3 lb trout at the west end. We moved down towards the deeper water towards the east end and in 3 hours, 6 holes we never had a bite. Unfortunately, I believe that it has winter killed this year. Six hours and not a bite but it was a beautiful day anyway! :)

i was hoping this was an april 1 spoof Dave?

HunterDave
04-02-2011, 01:52 AM
i was hoping this was an april 1 spoof Dave?

Nope, no joke! I walked over and looked in the fellas viewfinder/monitor and I saw the dead trout on the bottom with my own eyes! There was a nice 3lber right beside the camera that was as clear as a bell and as I turned the camera I saw about 5 more in a 20 foot radius. Time will tell if everything is dead or not........maybe the deepest part of the lake is holding fish but there's nothing anywhere else. I'm pretty sure that she's got no live fish in her now. :(

alodar
04-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Nope, no joke! I walked over and looked in the fellas viewfinder/monitor and I saw the dead trout on the bottom with my own eyes! There was a nice 3lber right beside the camera that was as clear as a bell and as I turned the camera I saw about 5 more in a 20 foot radius. Time will tell if everything is dead or not........maybe the deepest part of the lake is holding fish but there's nothing anywhere else. I'm pretty sure that she's got no live fish in her now. :(

Maybe all those stunted perch used most of the oxygen and killed themselves I don't know much about winter kill but I guess that could have happened

Paul C
04-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Hey Dave
I was at star lake this moring and I have a photo of minnows trying to get to the surface to get oxygen. I would like a forum member to go out with a underwater camera to underneath the ice.
Sorry to hear about Heritage Lake.

HunterDave
04-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah, The water levels were so low last year and the algae was so bad that I'm afraid that we'll lose allot of our smaller lakes this winter. We had a wet summer with a good cold spell to freeze the ground in the fall so hopefully we get a good run off this spring to fill everything back up. I think that we need 2 or 3 years in a row like this though. It's been a tough year for all of our wildlife. :(

Vega21
05-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Anyone fish there recently?