PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Junior Forest Rangers?

MitchR
04-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone or anyone's kids have been to this camp? I am considering trying to get in, But I dont want to go there and find out I have wasted my whole summer doing something I dont really want to do. I am planning on having a career in some sort of wildlife management after highschool but I dont know if this is a way in or anything. I was given a very brief description of it in school, and the website doesnt help much. Any info AT ALL would be greatly appreciated. I have 2 days to decide if I want to or not. The reason I am reluctant is because I am not too sure, but I think my cousin went to the camp years back and said it was a bunch of tree huggers and greenpeace guys, which is not really my deal.

Thanks,

Mitch

Boss442
04-02-2011, 01:20 AM
My Son went approximately 12 years ago and loved every minute of it, went all over the place planting trees, riding in helicopters, and checking out fire stations/towers and met some realy good people.

bushnell
04-02-2011, 09:29 AM
My daughter did this for 2 summers,and loved every minute of it .She did her first summer in the Peace region, and her second around Hinton. You will end up with a great variety of experiences. Yes she had to deal with some different personalities,but that doesn't change no matter where you are. You will have a great time if you choose to go.

chopperman
04-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone or anyone's kids have been to this camp? I am considering trying to get in, But I dont want to go there and find out I have wasted my whole summer doing something I dont really want to do. I am planning on having a career in some sort of wildlife management after highschool but I dont know if this is a way in or anything. I was given a very brief description of it in school, and the website doesnt help much. Any info AT ALL would be greatly appreciated. I have 2 days to decide if I want to or not. The reason I am reluctant is because I am not too sure, but I think my cousin went to the camp years back and said it was a bunch of tree huggers and greenpeace guys, which is not really my deal.

Thanks,

Mitch

My good friend is (I believe as it has been a couple of months since we last spoke) the provincial president for the organization and is a active hunter and outfitter, so not sure where the tree hugger/greenpeace part comes from. I know he even took the group he instructs on a hunt. They do a lot of outdoor crafts, camping and outings.
I wouldn't hesitate to send my kid to it....

mikeo2
04-02-2011, 09:46 AM
I was a JFR for a summer, absolutely LOVED it. There were no tree huggers in our camp and didnt meet any from the other camps. Basically you camp out all summer in wall tents and do forestry work, get to chainsaws and just have a great time. We had plenty of time for fishing and just hanging out to. I would highly recomend it. At the end of the summer, we got together with all of the other crews and had a big contest doing various things such as navigating with a compass, who could take a part a chainsaw and put the bar and chain back on blindfolded the quickest along with some other competitions, then had a big party with everyone.

cliface
04-02-2011, 04:37 PM
I am one of the Wildfire Rangers that used to coordinate the program in our area. If you are looking to have a career with SRD then the JFR program is a plus to getting hired especially if you are interested in getting a firefighting job while you are in university.

winged1
04-02-2011, 05:40 PM
A good friend was a counselor back in the early 70's. His squad squatted in what is now the Blackfoot reserve east of Sherwood Park. As with a lot of these programs it depends on the leaders, but all the ones I've met from back then were stand up citizens, truley interested in sharing their experiences. I'm not sure where the organization has gone since then, but we sure hiked a lot of country behind Gray's ranch.

gpgriz
04-02-2011, 06:58 PM
My good friend is (I believe as it has been a couple of months since we last spoke) the provincial president for the organization and is a active hunter and outfitter, so not sure where the tree hugger/greenpeace part comes from. I know he even took the group he instructs on a hunt. They do a lot of outdoor crafts, camping and outings.
I wouldn't hesitate to send my kid to it....

I'm not positive; but it sounds like chopperman may be confused with Jr Forest Wardens.

JFR is the forestry work experience one.

Where your crew is based out of and who the leaders are has a lot to do with what work you'll be doing.
It can include basic forest protection (fire fighting) type stuff, tree planting, trail maintenance, wildlife surveys, electroshocking, out trips (eg: white water rafting).

I know the people in the GP area put in a lot of effort to ensure a good program.

That being said...I don't know if it'll fit your needs for F&W experience.

1shotwade
04-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Your looking at AJFW one of the best organizations in alberta! I grew up in it my kids are now members, no tree huggers here! Sign your kids up and you also become a member!Best camps ever!:sHa_shakeshout:

chopperman
04-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm not positive; but it sounds like chopperman may be confused with Jr Forest Wardens.

JFR is the forestry work experience one.

Where your crew is based out of and who the leaders are has a lot to do with what work you'll be doing.
It can include basic forest protection (fire fighting) type stuff, tree planting, trail maintenance, wildlife surveys, electroshocking, out trips (eg: white water rafting).

I know the people in the GP area put in a lot of effort to ensure a good program.

That being said...I don't know if it'll fit your needs for F&W experience.

Yes you are right....my mistake sorry about that.

troutfly
04-02-2011, 10:31 PM
One of my boys spent two summers with JFR. Excellent program. First summer was around the Edson/Hinton area, next year was west of Calgary but they worked across the South Country. Everything from wildland fire fighting skills through fish/wildlife surveys.

59whiskers
04-03-2011, 09:21 AM
The Alberta Forest Service Junior Forest Ranger program is great. No tree huggers there. I went to Footner Lake near High Level, AB after high school in 1977. There is a girls program as well that my sisters attended. It is a tremendous opportunity.

canoes
04-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi,
Sounds like a great program. They should use this video for recruiting.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpV4-JlwWt0

Larry