PDA

View Full Version : Alberta Bass?

FisherGrrrl
04-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Heres a question I've been thinking about.

Why doesn't Alberta have/stock Bass in any lakes? I understand they are a predator fish and can take over trout ponds but in Ontario, Bass and Muskie all live together and can survive the winter kill.

Anyone have any opinions?

mooseknuckle
04-02-2011, 12:26 PM
I believe it's been tried a few times and they just won't take therefore it's not going to happen.

Jwood 456
04-02-2011, 12:52 PM
I think Island or Rock Island lake near Athabasca was stocked with smallmouth bass one year and the population died off right away.

Guitarplayingfish
04-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Yeah, Ive heard it has something to do with the water.. Bass aren't well suited enough to handle Alberta's climate or something.

J-C
04-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Too many idiots would throw them into other lakes they arent supposed to be in. If any did happen to survive sustainable resources would have a serious problem. Bass don't naturally live in Alberta we should protect the species we already have, appreciate what we've got and manage it as best we can. My 2 cents.

TrollGRG
04-02-2011, 03:23 PM
First, half the fish in Alberta aren't native to the province so the fact that the bass aren't shouldn't be a problem. In fact if it gets more people out fishing with all the added revenue etc. - it would be good for the rest of the fishing. I would be willing to bet that if there was a bass lake anywhere in the province it would be a mecca for fishermen - you would have to take a ticket to get on the lake or camp nearby.

Second, apparently the water here is too cold for them. They can stock them but the fish die off. I say so what! Stock them every year the same as they do for other species. Fisheries wouldn't have to worry about some nut job transplanting them to another body of water - probably won't live anyway and may clean up some of the other problems like perch. Again, if people are going to fish for them, it is good for everyone.

Who knows? They just may stay alive somewhere. We all know that the experts in the AB government don't know everything (anything?).

huntsfurfish
04-02-2011, 05:00 PM
SRD policy is to try to help native species and have moved away from stocking new species. Highly unlikely to change their policy.

To many risks introducing new species!

Contrary to what some people think, they do a pretty good job.

Look at asian carp problem in the states.

Look at the snakehead problem in the states. To name but a few.

And the answer is yes, I would like to fish for bass. Just have to travel to do it!

Dust1n
04-02-2011, 08:56 PM
"half the fish in Alberta aren't native to the province" thats true but bass cant handle the constent changes our climate has. also i belive theres still one pond down south that stil has a decent population of bass. be sure to ask the land owners/ and contact F&W. and the bass in canada arnt as easy to catch as in the usa because of the lack of bermetric preasure changes. so if u can locate a pond that has em use finese tactics and use small topwaters at night. totaly new tactics for the american bass

canned Tuna
04-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Okay with the bass education and everything and anything about introduction of new species. I'm from Ontario and we have all sorts of european and asian invasive species that live in Ontario waters. Yes chinook, coho, pink, rainbow and brown's aren't even native to Ontario, yet we intentionally introduced them into the great lakes and treat these as prized fish. Now there complaining there aren't enough baitfish to support these hungry fish. Every year the salmon are getting smaller.

Now there are carp's, goby's, spinny water fleas, zebra mussels and etc in Ontario. Aquaculture raising of atlantic salmon in the pacific ocean in BC now thats wrong which brings new diseases and the flea. And we're complaining about perch in alberta taking over the pothole lakes lets get real. All that money going into the raising of rainbow and brook trout to be killed over winter what a waste.

Yes the lakes in this province are not as fertile and are more fragile compared to other provinces. At least in this case invasive is not coming from unknown waters from unknown places.

Anyways I love the lake fishing here it's so much more peaceful and the crowds are small compared to back home and the fly fishing in the rivers are phenominal.

Just my cents fishing isn't so bad here just more challenging. If you could catch fish in Alberta you could catch fish anywhere.

npauls
04-02-2011, 11:51 PM
I don't see how bass can't handle alberta weather. They are all over Ontario and from what I understand they have some pretty cold severe weather that the bass seem to be fine with. They ice fish them all the time out there and seem to have some decent sized fish lurking around. I don't know if I would want bass here or not since I have only fished for them once and wouldn't want to see them spread into every water system. But I do think that they could survive if given some time.

Dust1n
04-03-2011, 10:40 AM
in te usa the weather is alot more stable and every little weather change the bass react to it thats one of the reasons bass are challanging bu also can be very easy if you know how to fish em. and kno where to fin em in coldfronts and stable weather. albertas weather changes every week/day or so and it makes it extremly hard for the bas to adjust.

huntsfurfish
04-03-2011, 01:06 PM
in te usa the weather is alot more stable and every little weather change the bass react to it thats one of the reasons bass are challanging bu also can be very easy if you know how to fish em. and kno where to fin em in coldfronts and stable weather. albertas weather changes every week/day or so and it makes it extremly hard for the bas to adjust.

huh?

fishing101
04-03-2011, 01:09 PM
I don't think the change of weather has anything to do with it. There is large mouth bass in harve montana and they get a lot of the same weather as us and even more snow. There is places like fort peck that have huge smallmouth. I think when they tried it they did it up north and it didn't work out. You need to start in down south with a lake that has feed or they will eat themselves.

If would be interesting if a club would be allowed to try it in a controlled lake and see what happened.

Isopod
04-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Bass fishing is such a blast, I really wish they were in Alberta lakes. The way they burst out of the water and try to shake out the hook while in the air.... nothing like it!!

npauls
04-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Fish hunter7 no one mentioned the states and their weather. I did however mention Ontario which is part of Canada. I do think there is possibilities of bass surviving in the southern half of the province I just don't think fisheries will ever test it out. All the invasive species talk lately has pretty much put a hold on any new species stocking I'm sure.

canned Tuna
04-03-2011, 02:41 PM
I believe there is potential to stock bass in the lakes of Southern Alberta like in around medicine hat even the trout grow bigger down there. Stocking and trial and error just cost way to much and the diseases that may occur in places where fish already inhabit maybe fatal.

But who knows it's all speculation. In lakes around Mission, BC theres a huge smallie and largie population and no one takes advantage of that fishery because ppl there treat them like trash fish. But again the weather is fair with plenty of forage and the fish tend to get bigger quicker. So maybe fish for bass in BC it's closer than Ontario.

Grouse Assassin
04-03-2011, 02:54 PM
people start messing with mother nature and all hell breaks loose if you want to fish for bass go to where the bass are found they are a fun fish to catch but i dont think introducing them into alberta is a good idea and im sure F&W has looked at this extensivly im sure they have a good reason why they havent. :)

trainerdave
04-03-2011, 04:09 PM
They have bass in Manitoba and Saskatchewan-Rock,White, Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass in Manitoba-And apparently 3 species in Saskatchewan according to their regs. They have winters which are pretty extreme there. Might be worth doing in a few stocked ponds...

sheephunter
04-03-2011, 04:17 PM
They have bass in Manitoba and Saskatchewan-Rock,White, Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass in Manitoba-And apparently 3 species in Saskatchewan according to their regs. They have winters which are pretty extreme there. Might be worth doing in a few stocked ponds...

Really nothing to do with winter temps. You need a certain number of days above a certain temp for bass to survive and more importantly reproduce. They didn't flourish in Wabamun so not sure they'd do well anywhere else in Alberta. Not a far drive to BC, enjoy them there.

WayneChristie
04-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Bass fishing is such a blast, I really wish they were in Alberta lakes. The way they burst out of the water and try to shake out the hook while in the air.... nothing like it!!

try big pike with buzzbaits, bass are fun but nothing like a big toothy fish launching out of the lake

Dust1n
04-03-2011, 06:51 PM
i dont like bass there overrated. my undersized pike just ate your trophy bass.

grinr
04-03-2011, 09:10 PM
If you love your trout fishing,just be thankful there are no bass in AB.On the eastcoast,NB and NS in particulair,bucket brigade bazzholes have illegally spread these invasives throughout countless watersheds where they completely take over.They are the single greatest threat to native trout and atlantic salmon populations wherever they become established and I kill every single bass I can sink a hook into on my home trout waters.NBDNR and DFO are presently in the process of spending millions of dollars in an attempt to eradicate smallmouth from Miramichi Lk. at the headwaters of the most productive Atlantic Salmon river in the world,thanks to some a-hole that thought it would be nice to catch bass from his cottage dock and illegally introduced them to the lake.If(when?) they escape the lake and get into the Miramichi river system,they threaten to destroy a world class salmon fishery as they feast on every parr they can wrap their ugly mouths around,not to mention the loss of an estimated $50M annual boost to the local,rural economy spent by travelling anglers that come from the world over to fish the mighty Miramichi. :mad3::mad3::mad3:

canned Tuna
04-03-2011, 09:29 PM
It's a pretty expensive river to fish on isn't it. Don't you need to hire a guide to be able to fish that river? Anyways it's a world famous river for atlantics and to bad there are smallies taking over. I remember watching the guys from the fishing canada show fishing for smallies in New Brunswick. I also heard there are bass tournaments in NB.

Dust1n
04-03-2011, 09:40 PM
i dout it would be stalked in good fishery lakes, i think they would be stalked in ponds down south east. thats if they do it again lol

grinr
04-03-2011, 09:44 PM
It's a pretty expensive river to fish on isn't it. Don't you need to hire a guide to be able to fish that river? Anyways it's a world famous river for atlantics and to bad there are smallies taking over. I remember watching the guys from the fishing canada show fishing for smallies in New Brunswick. I also heard there are bass tournaments in NB.

Yes,in NB,non-resident anglers need a guide to fish for Atlantics or even for trout on guide required/scheduled salmon rivers.Expensive??I guess that depends what you call expensive?No more expensive than the guided west coast salmon trips I've seen reccomended here many times,and in fact I've seen daily float trips on the Bow that cost as much and more as a day on the 'chi?
I'd say figger on $300-500/day depending on how fancy the lodge,but that would include lodging,food,guide....the whole 9 yards.The going rate for local guides is in the $150-250/day range for guide only.

Bass tournaments.....pffffft...don't even go there!!:mad3: Those a-holes in many cases are the Bill Dance wannabees that are illegally spreading these invasive menaces all over the Maritimes,threatening the very existance of native salmonids wherever they become established!:mad3:

grinr
04-03-2011, 10:11 PM
First, half the fish in Alberta aren't native to the province so the fact that the bass aren't shouldn't be a problem. In fact if it gets more people out fishing with all the added revenue etc. - it would be good for the rest of the fishing. I would be willing to bet that if there was a bass lake anywhere in the province it would be a mecca for fishermen - you would have to take a ticket to get on the lake or camp nearby.

Second, apparently the water here is too cold for them. They can stock them but the fish die off. I say so what! Stock them every year the same as they do for other species. Fisheries wouldn't have to worry about some nut job transplanting them to another body of water - probably won't live anyway and may clean up some of the other problems like perch. Again, if people are going to fish for them, it is good for everyone.

Who knows? They just may stay alive somewhere. We all know that the experts in the AB government don't know everything (anything?).

Well apparantly the AB govt. knows enough about smallmouth to realise that even if they weren't an invasive menace and extreme threat to native species,they are not a suitable candidate for a put-and-take fishery.They are very slow growing throughout most of Canada and the northern extent of their USA range,going dormant in winter and having a relatively short growing season.They prefer water in the 70 degreesF range and don't even really become very active to speak of until it hits 60F.It takes several years for a CDN smallmouth to reach any resemblance of a "quality angling" size,so unless you want to fish for 3 inch smallies,you can fogetabout a put and take stocker fishery.

canned Tuna
04-03-2011, 10:47 PM
I agree grinr, alot of alberta is to cold for to long and the bass won't grow to any substantial size. As for guiding in alberta and bc it's very expensive for walk and wade. I can by a pretty nice outfit for $500.

FisherGrrrl
04-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Good Points! I do go the distance for different species, next fall I'm going on a fishing trip to Niagara Falls again so I'll probably try a few days for bass (its more of a steelhead trip). But ya, this has been a topic friends and I have discussed while sitting on this ice this winter :P I figured I'd try and get some answers from you guys! I knew they were an invasice species but I wasn't sure what other reasons Alberta didn't have them, weather makes sense though too.

PERCHY
04-05-2011, 02:26 PM
top water pike is just as fun as bass but the only problem is pike tend to miss the lure alot..imho

Braun
04-05-2011, 03:16 PM
reading this thread is just funny to me. I went down to houston at christmas. And I talked to a couple serious bass fishermen. They told me that they took a couple trips upto canada and they fished for river walleye in manitoba and Lake trout somewhere (cant remember where) They said that those 2 fish kind of ruined bass fishing for them because the one was the best tasting freshwater fish they ever had and the other one was the best freshwater fish fight they ever had

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 03:34 PM
i dont like bass there overrated. my undersized pike just ate your trophy bass.

If you think bass fishing is over rated you've never bass fished......!

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Good Points! I do go the distance for different species, next fall I'm going on a fishing trip to Niagara Falls again so I'll probably try a few days for bass (its more of a steelhead trip). But ya, this has been a topic friends and I have discussed while sitting on this ice this winter :P I figured I'd try and get some answers from you guys! I knew they were an invasice species but I wasn't sure what other reasons Alberta didn't have them, weather makes sense though too.

You can't go to Niagara Falls with out taking a run to Port Colborne for some lake Erie large and small mouth. nothing better then pulling smallies off a hump or hauling some hawgs out of the brush after they smash a top bait. All that action just minutes away.......:)

Dust1n
04-05-2011, 05:10 PM

i have bas fished and caught a ton of 4-5lb bass at the surrounding lakes by spokan and one is named medical lake. i just think they are poluting wfn and fishin shops with bass stuff i like the fishn but i could do that sort of fishn everyday of my life

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 07:16 PM
i have bas fished and caught a ton of 4-5lb bass at the surrounding lakes by spokan and one is named medical lake. i just think they are poluting wfn and fishin shops with bass stuff i like the fishn but i could do that sort of fishn everyday of my life

4-5 lb bass are babys fished the Rideau canal, Lake Erie, St Lawrence River
Muskoka river 7-8 lb are common. Got to remember Ontario has the Canadian record for bass.

Dust1n
04-05-2011, 07:46 PM
yeah on the northwest they were good sized bass i got two 3-4lb bass on my first two casts
but BC has tiny bass compond to down south and east
the bass in the pic is about 1-2lbs it looks bigger in the picture trust mehttp://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/500.jpg

Dust1n
04-05-2011, 07:47 PM
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/498.jpg

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Couple nice lookin bass I miss bass fish in Ont. more then anything.

grinr
04-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Bass are waaaaaaaaaay overated.I defy you to show me a single "bass fight" on the Saturdy morning cartoons that lasts more than 15 seconds before the 'trophy" bass rolls over and comes to hand.:rolleyes:I get a kick outta these clowns down east that think bass are the be all to end all and like to harp and go on about what a great sportfish they are.I would love to tie a 5lb bass tail to tail with a 5lb atlantic salmon(or a 5lb. brookie) just to watch it get dragged all over the river backwards 'til it drowned,lol.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

reading this thread is just funny to me. I went down to houston at christmas. And I talked to a couple serious bass fishermen. They told me that they took a couple trips upto canada and they fished for river walleye in manitoba and Lake trout somewhere (cant remember where) They said that those 2 fish kind of ruined bass fishing for them because the one was the best tasting freshwater fish they ever had and the other one was the best freshwater fish fight they ever had

That right there should tell ya all you need to know about the fighting ability of bass.Anybody that thinks a laker is a great fight?.......:rolleyes: (maybe if you consider winching in a rubber boot as a great fight?)

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Bass are waaaaaaaaaay overated.I defy you to show me a single "bass fight" on the Saturdy morning cartoons that lasts more than 15 seconds before the 'trophy" bass rolls over and comes to hand.:rolleyes:I get a kick outta these clowns down east that think bass are the be all to end all and like to harp and go on about what a great sportfish they are.I would love to tie a 5lb bass tail to tail with a 5lb atlantic salmon(or a 5lb. brookie) just to watch it get dragged all over the river backwards 'til it drowned,lol.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

That right there should tell ya all you need to know about the fighting ability of bass.Anybody that thinks a laker is a great fight?.......:rolleyes: (maybe if you consider winching in a rubber boot as a great fight?)

Got to love these people that think they know bass. then they talk about 5 lb
if thats all you seen you ain't seen bass:thinking-006:

Daceminnow
04-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Couple nice lookin bass I miss bass fish in Ont. more then anything.

trader this would be a much better place to show off your bass skills. yer in redneck alberta now.

http://www.ontariosportfishing.com/

grinr
04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Got to love these people that think they know bass. then they talk about 5 lb
if thats all you seen you ain't seen bass:thinking-006:
Well wutever bud,most people consider a 5lb smallmouth a pretty damn good one.No matter,pick whatever size bass you want,pound for pound it wouldn't even come close to a salmon in ANY category,strength,stamina,jumping,leaping,acrobati cs,aerial somersaults,reel burning runs,challenge..........you name it?

Jwood 456
04-05-2011, 09:54 PM
I fished this hard to access lake in Southwestern BC for largemouth bass. This one was one of my more memorable experiences.

First of all there were no motors allowed so my fishing partner and I had to paddle out quite aways in a 12 by 3.5ft aluminum to get to the fish as most of the lake was only 4ft deep and really weedy. Sure enough we hit this 12ft deep pit with large weed clumps. My fishing partner dances his spinner bait in front of on of the weed clumps and sure enough, I see this large 5lb bass shoot out of the weeds and slam my fishing partner's spinnerbait. Boy that fish was sure pulling the 14lb test off of his reel. Sure enough, I cast out and hook a 6lber on a black salted rubber grub and propeller jighead. Throughout that day, my fishing partner and I couldn't keep the bass of our hooks. It was just phenominal that pratically every cast yielded a 3+lber.:sHa_shakeshout:

One thing that I will also remeber mabye not so much in the same way is the pesky bugs eating us alive!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Even when I bass fished in Manitoba my fishing partner caught a 5lb smallmouth, and that thing put up quite the tug of war for it's size.:sHa_shakeshout:

IMO bass fight much harder pound for pound than walleye; hence why I think they're much funner to catch, than walleye of the same weight.

This is a pic of the few we decided to keep.

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
trader this would be a much better place to show off your bass skills. yer in redneck alberta now.

http://www.ontariosportfishing.com/

Sorry if I infringed on your territory but I didn't bring the subject up and I figure your about as redneck as Donnie and Marie. So if you don't like my post you don't have to read them.....:)

grinr
04-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Now THAT ^^^ is the kinda bass I like to see.....DEAD ONES!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 10:06 PM
I fished this hard to access lake in Southwestern BC for largemouth bass. This one was one of my more memorable experiences.

First of all there were no motors allowed so my fishing partner and I had to paddle out quite aways in a 12 by 3.5ft aluminum to get to the fish as most of the lake was only 4ft deep and really weedy. Sure enough we hit this 12ft deep pit with large weed clumps. My fishing partner dances his spinner bait in front of on of the weed clumps and sure enough, I see this large 5lb bass shoot out of the weeds and slam my fishing partner's spinnerbait. Boy that fish was sure pulling the 14lb test off of his reel. Sure enough, I cast out and hook a 6lber on a black salted rubber grub and propeller jighead. Throughout that day, my fishing partner and I couldn't keep the bass of our hooks. It was just phenominal that pratically every cast yielded a 3+lber.:sHa_shakeshout:

One thing that I will also remeber mabye not so much in the same way is the pesky bugs eating us alive!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Even when I bass fished in Manitoba my fishing partner caught a 5lb smallmouth, and that thing put up quite the tug of war for it's size.:sHa_shakeshout:

IMO bass fight much harder pound for pound than walleye; hence why I think they're much funner to catch, than walleye of the same weight.

This is a pic of the few we decided to keep.

That is a nice black face you pulled him out of some heavy cover.
Did you eat them? I could never seem to get a taste for them some people love them. Nice catch

grinr
04-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Bass fishing is like riding a tricycle,great fun for kids,but no grown man should be seen doing either.

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Well wutever bud,most people consider a 5lb smallmouth a pretty damn good one.No matter,pick whatever size bass you want,pound for pound it wouldn't even come close to a salmon in ANY category,strength,stamina,jumping,leaping,acrobati cs,aerial somersaults,reel burning runs,challenge..........you name it?

If you like fishin salmon I got no problem with that I just like the way smallies dance on the water.Not a big one on trolling I prefer to cast. to each his own....:)

Jwood 456
04-05-2011, 10:17 PM
That is a nice black face you pulled him out of some heavy cover.
Did you eat them? I could never seem to get a taste for them some people love them. Nice catch

Thanks horsetrader. :)

I ate those bass, and I thought they tasted pretty good IMO. I fried them in becel margarine and lemon pepper.

chubbdarter
04-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Bass fishing is like riding a tricycle,great fun for kids,but no grown man should be seen doing either.

Dace rides a Tricycle and sings " She's alittle bit country and he's alitte bit rock and roll"

Daceminnow
04-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Sorry if I infringed on your territory but I didn't bring the subject up and I figure your about as redneck as Donnie and Marie. So if you don't like my post you don't have to read them.....:)

you're sensitive. what's a donny and marie? do they smoke wine tipped cigars, have a mud-monkey put chains on the tires of their pick-up and set snares for small game to use in other sets to trap carnivorous fur bearing animals to buy more wine tipped cigars. i'm selective with the words i use, and sir i know redneck. got any ponies to trade for a couple of good pack mules?

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 10:27 PM
you're sensitive. what's a donny and marie? do they smoke wine tipped cigars, have a mud-monkey put chains on the tires of their pick-up and set snares for small game to use in other sets to trap carnivorous fur bearing animals to buy more wine tipped cigars. i'm selective with the words i use, and sir i know redneck. got any ponies to trade for a couple of good pack mules?

Oh I can see you are the man you put the fear in me......:sHa_shakeshout:

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 10:29 PM

now that is funny.....:sHa_shakeshout:

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Dace rides a Tricycle and sings " She's alittle bit country and he's alitte bit rock and roll"

NICE>>>>>>:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcastic lol::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Daceminnow
04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Oh I can see you are the man you put the fear in me......:sHa_shakeshout:

i've never caught a bass. trader i'm not sure why you've got it out for me, i just wanna trade ponies. fishergrrrl sorry for the highjack.

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 10:39 PM
i've never caught a bass. trader i'm not sure why you've got it out for me, i just wanna trade ponies. fishergrrrl sorry for the highjack.

I'm not out for you, your the troller read back friend .......:)

Daceminnow
04-05-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm not out for you, your the troller read back friend .......:)

cool. i'll sleep tonight. you even called me your friend. that's better then donny and whats her name. i'm glad you like to catch bass, friend. goodnight.

chubbdarter
04-05-2011, 10:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k60n61zFrms
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyZ7kzBv3Cg

brendan85
04-05-2011, 10:58 PM
if i was to try to say which is the best fight, i think id be stumped.. im from the kootenays and when i think of my best fight, i come up with three.. i had three that i find to be equal but for different reasons.. the LM bass was awesome because it came out of the water and my lure while it was still around a foot from the water.. good fight, lots of jumping and darting around..

a cut throat in the elk river blew me away because it was soooo damn scrappy.. that thing was just nuts!!!

a bull trout, also from the elk.. i rate it as top three because the sheer power of this thing absolutely blew me away.. no matter how many times id bring it up to serface, it always seemed to power its way back down with ease..

so i cant really have much input on which is the "best fight" the can all be awesome, just in differnt ways..

and also.. you will catch one fish thats just an amazing fight... then catch the same kind of fish and its just not gonna fight at all.. no matter where you go, you will always find a lazy dog****er.. lol

p.s. i dont have nearly as much experience as many of you on here as far as catching different species goes but i will say that bass fishing is some damn good fishing in my opinion.

horsetrader
04-05-2011, 11:27 PM
if i was to try to say which is the best fight, i think id be stumped.. im from the kootenays and when i think of my best fight, i come up with three.. i had three that i find to be equal but for different reasons.. the LM bass was awesome because it came out of the water and my lure while it was still around a foot from the water.. good fight, lots of jumping and darting around..

a cut throat in the elk river blew me away because it was soooo damn scrappy.. that thing was just nuts!!!

a bull trout, also from the elk.. i rate it as top three because the sheer power of this thing absolutely blew me away.. no matter how many times id bring it up to serface, it always seemed to power its way back down with ease..

so i cant really have much input on which is the "best fight" the can all be awesome, just in differnt ways..

and also.. you will catch one fish thats just an amazing fight... then catch the same kind of fish and its just not gonna fight at all.. no matter where you go, you will always find a lazy dog****er.. lol

p.s. i dont have nearly as much experience as many of you on here as far as catching different species goes but i will say that bass fishing is some damn good fishing in my opinion.

All fishing is good fishing some of us grew up with bass,pickerel and musky
some with trout,walleye and salmon. it's all good.

32-40win
04-05-2011, 11:57 PM
BC fisheries was talking about eradicating bass in the Lower mainland. They absolutely do not want them getting into the Fraser or any tributaries to it.
I don't think a 6 lb bass is anywhere close to competing with a 6lb Gerrard or Brookie. They are fun for a short fight, but they krap out quick, the trout have far more endurance and can be just as explosive.
I've fished Duck @ Creston a number of times, it can be a lot of fun, and there are some good bass in there. They have caught up to 9lb fish there.
Apparently there are some good bass in southeast Sask also, over towards Estevan. Have to do some research on that again, may go that way this year.
Something different to do.

grinr
04-06-2011, 06:48 AM
If you like fishin salmon I got no problem with that I just like the way smallies dance on the water.Not a big one on trolling I prefer to cast. to each his own....:)

Trolling for salmon??What's that? :confused: Oh nevermind,I know,it's alot like golf.....it's for people that don't know how to flyfish.:)

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Trolling for salmon??What's that? :confused: Oh nevermind,I know,it's alot like golf.....it's for people that don't know how to flyfish.:)

Just an angry little man...... but thats ok ....have a good one.....:)

Kokanee9
04-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Horsetrader,

Welcome to AB.

I'm sure you have lots of experience in Ont. and may be able to share something that is used there to catch walleye or pike that is not as well known here. Also there may be methods used here that are unknown there.

I was born here and am jealous of anyone from Ont because of the amount of lakes and rivers there.

Unfortunately there is no bass fishery here. Likewise for musky. What is different here that prevents these fish? I am leaning toward cooler water temperatures during summer or is the water too hard. Ph levels? I am leaning toward water hardness myself.

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Horsetrader,

Welcome to AB.

I'm sure you have lots of experience in Ont. and may be able to share something that is used there to catch walleye or pike that is not as well known here. Also there may be methods used here that are unknown there.

I was born here and am jealous of anyone from Ont because of the amount of lakes and rivers there.

Unfortunately there is no bass fishery here. Likewise for musky. What is different here that prevents these fish? I am leaning toward cooler water temperatures during summer or is the water too hard. Ph levels? I am leaning toward water hardness myself.

Thanks Kokanee

Don't be jealous Alberta has an awesome fishery and is well worth protecting.
There is not to many other places you can float on your tube in the shadows of glacier mountain ranges. I thing the issue with the bass and musky is due to the extreme cold for such a long period of time. Both species are a high oxygen needing fish. Looking forward to try my hand at flyfishing from what i've read on here there are some very knowable flyfishers here.

Kokanee9
04-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Oxygen levels.
I didn't think of that one.
Good possibility of that.

mszomola
04-06-2011, 02:01 PM
I had brought this up last year moving to Calgary from Ontario. I did a lot of research and the history is pretty interesting even when you factor in bass in bc.

All these fish originated from ontario. Bay of quinte gets mentioned alot I was looking into smallies and those are all from the bay .

The problem with our lakes is winter kills, the water temperature here sometimes doesn't even reach spawning temp of around 65 degrees till late summer or maybe never.

So what happens is the fish survive a few goes , fail to spawn , and eventually fizzle out. Could it work ? Yeah I think Newell looks prime for largies but it's overal spit among peoples favor if they approve.

If bass took off here you would see more tournaments and conservation efforts of clubs. We are right near the border to some great bass fishing and events so we could spawn new anglers and reps to involve themselves in qualifiers.

It's a fun thing to be part of but I don't think folks here know of or even care to appreciate this. Kinda more old fashioned , lots of bow river fanatics. And rightfully so , it's some of the best fishing to be had !

But I'm still in bc most weekends fishing bass , I don't care. Walleye is fine but it gets boring dragging up the bottom all summer , I need to mix things up. Overall I think were in a pretty good area . Lots of different types of opportunities surrounding just need to look around and appreciate it.

The introduction of bass in Alberta was attempted . The last known record is from island lake ...

Anyways , even if re introduced i doubt it would effect any fisheries , it's not like a squawfish or asian carp. Bass readily co existing with all different species so I still don't buy the argument that it would hurt fishing , especially when almost everything here is non native , and a lot of reservoirs !

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I do agree if they could be introduced to breed or stocked in some areas they would add to an already great fishery

mszomola
04-06-2011, 02:18 PM
To grndr ,

You don't know a damn thing about bass fishing. I know your just cranking buddy up online. It's pretty funny how stupid you come off doing it ... Keep it up..

FisherGrrrl
04-06-2011, 03:20 PM

lol no big deal, Im finding this thread pretty entertaining to say the least.

:argue2: lol

chubbdarter
04-06-2011, 03:22 PM
I had brought this up last year moving to Calgary from Ontario. I did a lot of research and the history is pretty interesting even when you factor in bass in bc.

All these fish originated from ontario. Bay of quinte gets mentioned alot I was looking into smallies and those are all from the bay .

The problem with our lakes is winter kills, the water temperature here sometimes doesn't even reach spawning temp of around 65 degrees till late summer or maybe never.

So what happens is the fish survive a few goes , fail to spawn , and eventually fizzle out. Could it work ? Yeah I think Newell looks prime for largies but it's overal spit among peoples favor if they approve.

If bass took off here you would see more tournaments and conservation efforts of clubs. We are right near the border to some great bass fishing and events so we could spawn new anglers and reps to involve themselves in qualifiers.

It's a fun thing to be part of but I don't think folks here know of or even care to appreciate this. Kinda more old fashioned , lots of bow river fanatics. And rightfully so , it's some of the best fishing to be had !

But I'm still in bc most weekends fishing bass , I don't care. Walleye is fine but it gets boring dragging up the bottom all summer , I need to mix things up. Overall I think were in a pretty good area . Lots of different types of opportunities surrounding just need to look around and appreciate it.

The introduction of bass in Alberta was attempted . The last known record is from island lake ...

Anyways , even if re introduced i doubt it would effect any fisheries , it's not like a squawfish or asian carp. Bass readily co existing with all different species so I still don't buy the argument that it would hurt fishing , especially when almost everything here is non native , and a lot of reservoirs !

i have nothing against Bass fisherman.....but i'd sure like to see the poll where Albertans are split about stocking Bass in Newell

Kokanee9
04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
A poll. Good Idea!
That would help settle this.

mszomola
04-06-2011, 05:05 PM
yeah polls a good idea , just want to clarify i didnt mean on Newell , i should have wrote that more clearly .... i meant split in general here ...

sall good , the poll is good and i voted ...

grinr
04-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Just an angry little man...... but thats ok ....have a good one.....:)
Why yes,yes I am angry,but I'm not little.I am however more than a little angry over watching watershed after watershed ruined by the illegal introduction of invasive bass into my home waters by irresponsible morons to the detrimant of native brook trout and atlantic salmon populations.
To grndr ,

You don't know a damn thing about bass fishing. .

I'll asume I am grndr?:confused:
That's ok bud,you just keep telling yerself that.Aside from the fact that I've caught hundreds(a couple thousand?) of bass in both Ontario and NB,I've also made it a point to know my enemy quite well and am actively involved in efforts to eradicate bass from my home salmon/trout waters as well as educating and encouraging others to do the same.I'm afraid it's you and the ignorant fool bucket biologists like you that "don't know a damn thing about bass".Why dontcha take a few minutes on Google to educate yourself on the very real threat posed to native salmonids in NB and NS by invasive,illegal smallmouth introductions before you go running your mouth off.It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.:snapoutofit:

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Why yes,yes I am angry,but I'm not little.I am however more than a little angry over watching watershed after watershed ruined by the illegal introduction of invasive bass into my home waters by irresponsible morons to the detrimant of native brook trout and atlantic salmon populations.

I'll asume I am grndr?:confused:
That's ok bud,you just keep telling yerself that.Aside from the fact that I've caught hundreds(a couple thousand?) of bass in both Ontario and NB,I've also made it a point to know my enemy quite well and am actively involved in efforts to eradicate bass from my home salmon/trout waters as well as educating and encouraging others to do the same.I'm afraid it's you and the ignorant fool bucket biologists like you that "don't know a damn thing about bass".Why dontcha take a few minutes on Google to educate yourself on the very real threat posed to native salmonids in NB and NS by invasive,illegal smallmouth introductions before you go running your mouth off.It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.:snapoutofit:

If you check again bass has increased the tourism in NS and has brought the bass tournaments also to increase the slumping economy
But that aside if you notice we are talking west not east and there is no chance of invasive illegal introduction here if you know your enemy as you say you do you should know that........:snapoutofit:

grinr
04-06-2011, 09:24 PM
If you check again bass has increased the tourism in NS and has brought the bass tournaments also to increase the slumping economy
:sHa_sarcasticlol:

bwaaaaahahahaa....like I said,better to remain silent then to open yer mouth and remove all doubt. You don't have a clue what yer talking about pal. :rolleyes: Do you honestly beleive that a handful of local tournament,Bill Dance wannabe bazzholes in NS and NB have ANY impact on the economy whatsoever,aside from filling up their collective 3 dozen gas guzzling bass boats at the local gas station,or that bass fishing even comes close to comparing to the tourism dollars brought into the region by atlantic salmon anglers that come from all over the world to fish for the king of freshwater sportfish?The ONLY thing these bucket brigade bazzholes are accomplishing is destroying fragile salmon and trout stocks and a multi-million dollar tourism industry one watershed at a time with their ILLEGAL introductions of junkfish.:snapoutofit:

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 09:34 PM

bwaaaaahahahaa....like I said,better to remain silent then to open yer mouth and remove all doubt. You don't have a clue what yer talking about pal. :rolleyes: Do you honestly beleive that a handful of local tournament,Bill Dance wannabe bazzholes in NS and NB have ANY impact on the economy whatsoever,aside from filling up their collective 3 dozen gas guzzling bass boats at the local gas station,or that bass fishing even comes close to comparing to the tourism dollars brought into the region by atlantic salmon anglers that come from all over the world to fish for the king of freshwater sportfish?The ONLY thing these bucket brigade bazzholes are accomplishing is destroying fragile salmon and trout stocks and a multi-million dollar tourism industry one watershed at a time with their ILLEGAL introductions of junkfish.:snapoutofit:

It is amazing how when some one has nothing intelligent to say the begin to bad mouth and slander other people with inflammatory names to show their intelligence and what happens.......Well you should know you mentioned it your self so I will be nice and not!!!!

chubbdarter
04-06-2011, 09:45 PM
It is amazing how when some one has nothing intelligent to say the begin to bad mouth and slander other people with inflammatory names to show their intelligence and what happens.......Well you should know you mentioned it your self so I will be nice and not!!!!

call him Donny and Marie

i laughed so hard when you called Dace that

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 09:49 PM
call him Donny and Marie

i laughed so hard when you called Dace that

LOL.....I think Dace secretly has everyone of their records........:)

grinr
04-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Speaking of nothing intelligent to say,obviously you haven't a clue with regards to the serious threats posed by invasive bass on native trout and salmon stocks in the Maritimes,the millions of dollars currently being spent to control their spread,educate the public,and eradicate smallmouth from the premier Atlantic Salmon river in North America,nor anything about tourism and the economies of NB and NS.:rolleyes:

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Speaking of nothing intelligent to say,obviously you haven't a clue with regards to the serious threats posed by invasive bass on native trout and salmon stocks in the Maritimes,the millions of dollars currently being spent to control their spread,educate the public,and eradicate smallmouth from the premier Atlantic Salmon river in North America,nor anything about tourism and the economies of NB and NS.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry about your problem if it worry's you that much I suggest you go home and try and solve it is all I can say caaaaause if you go waaaaay back you will read the words ALBERTA BASS!!!!!! good bye and thank you for calling...

chubbdarter
04-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Time for a break and a sing along
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfXznngjGw

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 10:21 PM
Time for a break and a sing along
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfXznngjGw

Man that paper rosie aways brings a tear to my eye

grinr
04-06-2011, 10:22 PM
I'm sorry about your problem if it worry's you that much I suggest you go home and try and solve it is all I can say caaaaause if you go waaaaay back you will read the words ALBERTA BASS!!!!!! good bye and thank you for calling...

Pffft....is that the best you can come up with?Yes the subject is Alberta bass,and hopefully this topic will help serve to educate Albertans as to what a BAD idea it is to even think about introducing bass to this province.

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 10:26 PM
[QUOTE=grinr;896992]Pffft....

Darter can he fart like that on this forum.

chubbdarter
04-06-2011, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=grinr;896992]Pffft....

Darter can he fart like that on this forum.

I'd be scared to alert a mod to this thread...lol

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=horsetrader;897004]

I'd be scared to alert a mod to this thread...lol

I hear that....LOL

KegRiver
04-06-2011, 10:46 PM
First, half the fish in Alberta aren't native to the province so the fact that the bass aren't shouldn't be a problem. .

From the Royal Alberta Museum;

"Alberta has 51 native species of fish and 8 introduced species"

From SRD;

"There are approximately 65 species of fish swimming in Alberta waters. Of these:

* 54 of these species have established populations in the province, and include a mix of both native and introduced fish.
* 11 species have all been introduced to the province, either through legal stocking or through illegal or accidental release. These fish are present in limited numbers in Alberta."

No matter which set of figures one chooses to believe, if either, it is clear that introduced species are no where near half the number of native species.

Of interest, several of the introduced species have contributed to the loss of native species in the waters they presently occupy.

I should also note that several of the introduced species came from the pet trade and are most often considered to be minnows. In other words, they are very small fish species.

The only larger fish species introduced, that I could discover, were; Brown Trout, Golden Trout, Small Mouth Bass, (unsuccessful to date)and Grass Carp.

horsetrader
04-06-2011, 11:00 PM
From the Royal Alberta Museum;

"Alberta has 51 native species of fish and 8 introduced species"

From SRD;

"There are approximately 65 species of fish swimming in Alberta waters. Of these:

* 54 of these species have established populations in the province, and include a mix of both native and introduced fish.
* 11 species have all been introduced to the province, either through legal stocking or through illegal or accidental release. These fish are present in limited numbers in Alberta."

No matter which set of figures one chooses to believe, if either, it is clear that introduced species are no where near half the number of native species.

Of interest, several of the introduced species have contributed to the loss of native species in the waters they presently occupy.

I should also note that several of the introduced species came from the pet trade and are most often considered to be minnows. In other words, they are very small fish species.

The only larger fish species introduced, that I could discover, were; Brown Trout, Golden Trout, Small Mouth Bass, (unsuccessful to date)and Grass Carp.

Did you also notice that 12 of the native species are cubs ,minnows and shinners and never grow over 15 cm

KegRiver
04-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Did you also notice that 12 of the native species are cubs ,minnows and shinners and never grow over 15 cm

Yes I did. There are also the so called "Trash" species. Never-the-less. Clearly most of our sport fish species are in fact native to Alberta.

Of the sport fish species, only Brown Trout and Golden Trout are not native. And Golden Trout are so rare as to be not worth considering with the other Sport fish.

It would not be unreasonable to say that only one of the sporting species is an introduced species.

horsetrader
04-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Yes I did. There are also the so called "Trash" species. Never-the-less. Clearly most of our sport fish species are in fact native to Alberta.

Of the sport fish species, only Brown Trout and Golden Trout are not native. And Golden Trout are so rare as to be not worth considering with the other Sport fish.

It would not be unreasonable to say that only one of the sporting species is an introduced species.
n Alberta we can find 62 species of fish from which about 41 species are very little known while the other 21 species of fish are called sport or game fish, and are of interest commercial and domestic fishers as well as to anglers. 16 of these appreciated fish species are native to Alberta and 5 were introduced to this area through stocking.

Brook trout, golden trout, brown trout, Dolly Varden and smallmouth bass are the five species of game fish that have been introduced to Alberta. On the other hand, there are some fish species (non-game) that were illegally introduced and that developed self sustain populations, including:

Alberta Bigbore
04-07-2011, 01:15 AM
i wish they would stock the NSR with channel catfish, lol

horsetrader
04-07-2011, 06:10 AM
i wish they would stock the NSR with channel catfish, lol

We'll put it on the list.......:)

chubbdarter
04-07-2011, 05:27 PM
yeah polls a good idea , just want to clarify i didnt mean on Newell , i should have wrote that more clearly .... i meant split in general here ...

sall good , the poll is good and i voted ...

well it appears you are correct about the general vote....im surprized with the voting

mszomola
04-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Well , its only a small demographic , it could go either way and you still see it leaning to no ... But still was great way to see what these hardcore anglers think ...

Like keeping open channels are a good thing, theres never a need to get to worked up on it. Time changes things , i remember a time I would be fishing peoples docks pretty carelessly and today its becoming more common to just stay off occupied areas and respect privacy...

flyfish4life
01-10-2012, 11:09 PM
There are probably a large number of alberta anglers that would be interested in having a small bass fishery in the province of Alberta. With all the new immigrants from Eastern Canada and B.C. ......I think it is a great idea to have a few lakes in the province turned into largemouth/smallmouth bass fisheries.

What are the options (if any) ?

1. Sign a Petition and present it to Alberta Fish and Wildlife ? Create a banner and /or posters and get people to sign a form or log on to a website to confirm their opinion. Maybe this list would be larger than people would think. I would guess that there are over 500 anglers that would support this idea in this province.

2. Maybe Alberta Fisheries could send a small survey out to every alberta angler that buys a licence. Ask the question - Would you like to see a few lakes with largemouth and small mouth bass available to the alberta angler ?

I find that even the B.C. bass lakes are getting overfished and the amount of large fish in existing lakes are decreasing every year. Alot of locals and albertans still eat bass when they go to B.C. to fish for them. I have seen it so many times and it is depressing. Bass dont get stocked ......... HELLO !!!!!!!!! If you like fishing for them ....................then release them or else you are only hurting yourself and the fishery you enjoy.

If you wanna bragg about the size of your bass...........take some pictures and post them dont eat them.

huntsfurfish
01-11-2012, 06:35 AM
If you enjoy fishing for them, go to where the bass are!:):sign0176:

No need to bring them here. Should we have asian carp too?

If you want to go shark fishing you go to them right?:shark:

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 08:42 AM
If you enjoy fishing for them, go to where the bass are!:):sign0176:

No need to bring them here. Should we have asian carp too?

If you want to go shark fishing you go to them right?:shark:

If you don't like hearing about BASS don't read the posts.......

BRING ON THE BASS ........ :sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

fish gunner
01-11-2012, 09:37 AM
ask you self this is a mild winter for the most part how many lakes have open water in my local area none. that is just for starters. bass need temps in the mid seventys to spawn and be successful, in my part of the world that only occurs mid july and ends first week of september. giving bass an 8 week growing season not very long. now the rest of the year when they are half asleep they are assaulted by predators left and right. the lakes stocked with bass would grow sum big pike and that's about it .one option I can think of would be power station cooling water ponds. this is a good alternative and could be seriously considered the difficulty would be gaining access for all or using a system requiring training to be on these private waters. I enjoy bass they would pose a much greater challenge in our ever changing weather patterns than most would anticipate. a solution offerd

BGSH
01-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Bass love to eat perch and they are friendly with trout so they should stock bass in trout friendly waters with an over population of perch, problem solved :sHa_shakeshout:

avb3
01-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Bass love to eat perch and they are friendly with trout so they should stock bass in trout friendly waters with an over population of perch, problem solved :sHa_shakeshout:

You obviously don't understand the first thing about conservation issues, with introduced species and the unintended consequences they can have on native species.

Get yourself educated on that first. As someone else said, if you want to go bass fishing, go where the fish are.... they aren't here naturally for a reason.

Quit friggin' with nature.

BGSH
01-11-2012, 10:50 AM
You obviously don't understand the first thing about conservation issues, with introduced species and the unintended consequences they can have on native species.

Get yourself educated on that first. As someone else said, if you want to go bass fishing, go where the fish are.... they aren't here naturally for a reason.

Bass are simple species, there not like transferring pike from a lake and putting pike into lakes that killed TROUT lakes off, bass don't do that, if you have caught bass and read about bass then you would know about that :)

ESOXangler
01-11-2012, 11:00 AM

Im with this guy!!!! I love bass!!!

Kevin_Thunder
01-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Bass are simple species, there not like transferring pike from a lake and putting pike into lakes that killed TROUT lakes off, bass don't do that, if you have caught bass and read about bass then you would know about that :)

As simple of a solution as that may sound, I don't think it would be that easy. Few of us around here are nearly qualified enough to make the decision to introduce non-native fish to our waters. IMO, stocked rainbows are ok, since they cannot breed. Have they been able to do that for bass? Introducing new non-native species to an environment can have very complex consequences, many of them unforeseeable.

I suggest reading up on introduced carp, cane toads, and apple snails to start.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to try my hand at bass fishing, but I'll make the trip out there. I don't need another introduced species causing potential havoc around here.

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 11:11 AM
As simple of a solution as that may sound, I don't think it would be that easy. Few of us around here are nearly qualified enough to make the decision to introduce non-native fish to our waters. IMO, stocked rainbows are ok, since they cannot breed. Have they been able to do that for bass? Introducing new non-native species to an environment can have very complex consequences, many of them unforeseeable.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to try my hand at bass fishing, but I'll make the trip out there. I don't need another introduced species causing potential havoc around here.

Many many people on here will tell you Bass can not breed here

Kevin_Thunder
01-11-2012, 11:12 AM

Ok, I stand corrected then. Thanks.

BGSH
01-11-2012, 11:16 AM

It's a blast on Vancouver Island, when the trout are not biting you go shallow for the bass, then for trout when bass are not biting, it's so cool, you can even swim with bass as they are not scared at all, they will swim up to you have a peek then swim slowly back down, you can watch them for hours.

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 11:18 AM

Ever time this subject is brought up you post the same statement.
Each time you are as to produce proof of negative consequences that occurred the first time Bass were introduced in Alberta. You have yet to produce any.
So I ask again were is your proof that a put and take Bass fishery would be harmful to Alberta's fishery.

sheephunter
01-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Ok, I stand corrected then. Thanks.

There are a lot of different kinds of bass, each with its own habitat and reproduction requirements. Saying bass can or can't do something really means little until the type of bass is specified.

SalmoTrutta
01-11-2012, 11:19 AM
try big pike with buzzbaits, bass are fun but nothing like a big toothy fish launching out of the lake

Ive fished lots of both (almost everything) and hands down pound for pound I personally consider Bass to be the most exciting fresh water fish (non anadromous). Most pike don;t even move, just big head shakes until you get them close, then they run. Some jump, but not like Bass. just my experience

EZM
01-11-2012, 11:22 AM

The only reason the burst out of the water is because some hillbilly is using 50 pound braid, sets the hook like he's on a marlin, and yanking on the fish like he's pulling in a truck. These guys skip the bass along the top as they are feverishly reeling thier line in and catapulting up the 3lb bass up onto the deck of their 16 ft, 500hp bass boat.

Try yanking a 3lb pike onto the deck of your boat with 15lb test and see what happens - the head will be decapitated - or worse yet the hook will spring up right into your face and bury itself in your cheek.

Having lived in the US and fished for both pike and Bass - there is not much a difference in fight - but a whole lot has to do with the gear we use versus the gear they use.

BGSH
01-11-2012, 11:24 AM
There are a lot of different kinds of bass, each with its own habitat and reproduction requirements. Saying bass can or can't do something really means little until the type of bass is specified.

I am going to guess Smallmouth Bass, they should do fine here, i don't know if they will get together with pike and sing carols though :sHa_sarcasticlol:

jrs
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Ive fished bass in bc, fun but i still prefer trout. And i would definetly be concerned about impacts of introducing bass, specifically small mouths. We have lakes in southern Alberta that would very likely support all life stages for them, including spawning. Luckily, SRD is very stubborn regarding introducing new species, and i feel as though the only way they're coming would involve the bucket brigade. Guarnateed triploid would be cool for put and take, but too expensive to worry about being considered.

Hunter Trav
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Ok, lets settle the bass thing once and for all. I'm sure someone on here is a landowner with a dugout. Lets start a collection, stock the dugout with bass, and then all you bass guys can go fish for them. End of argument...:D

avb3
01-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Ever time this subject is brought up you post the same statement.
Each time you are as to produce proof of negative consequences that occurred the first time Bass were introduced in Alberta. You have yet to produce any.
So I ask again were is your proof that a put and take Bass fishery would be harmful to Alberta's fishery.

Yeah, I know you are not really bit on using the precautionary principle.

Perhaps a picture will help you figure it out:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/Precautionary_principle.png/648px-Precautionary_principle.png

npauls
01-11-2012, 01:25 PM

Do you know what the number one way in California is to catch bass? Big rainbow trout swimbaits. They stock rainbows down there in bass lakes just for food.

Okotokian
01-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Not interested in Bass fishing. I have no desire to have my hat, all my clothes, and my boat plastered with fishing equipment manufacturer's logos.

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 01:48 PM
The only reason the burst out of the water is because some hillbilly is using 50 pound braid, sets the hook like he's on a marlin, and yanking on the fish like he's pulling in a truck. These guys skip the bass along the top as they are feverishly reeling thier line in and catapulting up the 3lb bass up onto the deck of their 16 ft, 500hp bass boat.

Try yanking a 3lb pike onto the deck of your boat with 15lb test and see what happens - the head will be decapitated - or worse yet the hook will spring up right into your face and bury itself in your cheek.

Having lived in the US and fished for both pike and Bass - there is not much a difference in fight - but a whole lot has to do with the gear we use versus the gear they use.

Are you saying that bass do not break surface and become airborne unless they are yanked into the air.

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I know you are not really bit on using the precautionary principle.

Perhaps a picture will help you figure it out:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f9/Precautionary_principle.png/648px-Precautionary_principle.png

Thank you very much for again providing no proof for your comments against Bass introduction. I would possibly attempt to give your views a second thought if bass had never been introduced in Alberta then there could be concern for some objective reluctance. But as this is NOT the case I fine your reply moot

mapleleafman3
01-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Bring on the Bass. I would bet they survive in AB. They are all over northern Minnesota and Wisconsin and out in the northeastern states. They can and will survive the winters here. Bring the on panfish too. The bass need variety in their diet. They would get bored eating perch all the time. Not sure why everyone is so scared of the bass killing off trout. There are more sport fish than just trout.
:confused0024:

avb3
01-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Thank you very much for again providing no proof for your comments against Bass introduction. I would possibly attempt to give your views a second thought if bass had never been introduced in Alberta then there could be concern for some objective reluctance. But as this is NOT the case I fine your reply moot

Guess you refuse to understand.

Basic conservation says that if you can't prove safety, then you don't introduce a new species. The experiment back in the '80's by Smoky Lake tells us nothing. First of all, there were no impact studies done before or after, so we don't KNOW what the impact was, do we?

Secondly, the ecosystem of that lake may well not be that of any other introductions, whether on purpose or accidental.

We CAN'T know the potential impacts of a non-native species into our waters, can we?

And if we can't know, how can we, as responsible conservationists (you are one too, right?), advocate those introductions.

Too many of our native fish are already in trouble, and you want to introduce a competitive fish into that?

Doesn't make ecological sense at all.

BGSH
01-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Basic conservation says that if you can't prove safety, then you don't introduce a new species. The experiment back in the '80's by Smoky Lake tells us nothing. First of all, there were no impact studies done before or after, so we don't KNOW what the impact was, do we?

Secondly, the ecosystem of that lake may well not be that of any other introductions, whether on purpose or accidental.

We CAN'T know the potential impacts of a non-native species into our waters, can we?

And if we can't know, how can we, as responsible conservationists (you are one too, right?), advocate those introductions.

Too many of our native fish are already in trouble, and you want to introduce a competitive fish into that?

They are just BASS, the most simple fish ever.

Okotokian
01-11-2012, 04:08 PM
They are just BASS, the most simple fish ever.

No animal is that simple nor has no impact on the environment. Maine is having trouble with bass now and the usual bucket biologists:

"Smallmouth (http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/identification/smallmouthbass.htm) and largemouth bass (http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/identification/largemouthbass.htm) are both non-natives but widely established in southern, central, and parts of eastern Maine. Since 1986, Maine fishery biologists have determined that illegal introductions have established new populations in 57 additional lakes! One of these illegal stockings occurred at Umbagog Lake in the upper Androscoggin River drainage, where they now threaten one of our nation's premier wild brook trout populations. Largemouth bass are being illegally introduced into many Downeast waters at an alarming rate with unpredictable consequences to long established, economically important smallmouth populations."

huntsfurfish
01-11-2012, 04:37 PM

If you dont like reading what I have to say dont read my post.......

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 04:40 PM
If you dont like reading what I have to say dont read my post.......

I don't mine reading your post they make me smile........:)

huntsfurfish
01-11-2012, 04:41 PM

And they might be wrong.:)

Okotokian
01-11-2012, 04:42 PM
You're just mad 'cause you're getting your bass whipped on this thread. ;) LOL

gilbertslake
01-11-2012, 04:46 PM

Flame War.......time to gather round :argue2:

huntsfurfish
01-11-2012, 04:47 PM

As do yours:)

horsetrader

Yes your right i refuse to understand someone as narcissistic as you if all people were as negative as you all albertans would be fishing a mere 4 species of fish but thats ok we are all lucky the fishery is not in your hands

huntsfurfish
you're just mad 'cause you're getting your bass whipped on this thread. ;) lol

lol

huntsfurfish
01-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Yes your right i refuse to understand someone as narcissistic as you if all people were as negative as you all albertans would be fishing a mere 4 species of fish but thats ok we are all lucky the fishery is not in your hands

Were even luckier its not in yours:)

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 04:50 PM

Ive never been afraid of a fight win or lose. Now go back to work and quit wasting you bosses money :)

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 04:51 PM

Well we will see in a couple years

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 04:52 PM
lol

:) See i told you :)

slivers86
01-11-2012, 04:56 PM
only 1 option, drive to a lake that already has them, and fish them there. don't need anymore introduced species here imo. Look what they've started doing to native populations that ONCE existed and thrived.

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 05:00 PM
No animal is that simple nor has no impact on the environment. Maine is having trouble with bass now and the usual bucket biologists:

"Smallmouth (http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/identification/smallmouthbass.htm) and largemouth bass (http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/species/identification/largemouthbass.htm) are both non-natives but widely established in southern, central, and parts of eastern Maine. Since 1986, Maine fishery biologists have determined that illegal introductions have established new populations in 57 additional lakes! One of these illegal stockings occurred at Umbagog Lake in the upper Androscoggin River drainage, where they now threaten one of our nation's premier wild brook trout populations. Largemouth bass are being illegally introduced into many Downeast waters at an alarming rate with unpredictable consequences to long established, economically important smallmouth populations."

Look in to the revenue that bass has brought to main the numbers of turnys and tourist rev. is unbelievable. And the fact that main has 6000 water way lakes and ponds i don't think the 57 lakes are hurting their fishery

avb3
01-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Look in to the revenue that bass has brought to main the numbers of turnys and tourist rev. is unbelievable. And the fact that main has 6000 water way lakes and ponds i don't think the 57 lakes are hurting their fishery

Spoken like a true "I don't give a rip, what's in it for me, besides what would science pro's know" bar room lawyer type.

You go for it! :snapoutofit:

BeeGuy
01-11-2012, 06:46 PM
yep

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 08:24 PM

Spoken like a true "I don't give a rip, what's in it for me, besides what would science pro's know" bar room lawyer type.

You go for it! :snapoutofit:

yep

Sorry I had to go guys but I had to leave before I ****ed myself every time this thread comes back up out comes the trio. Out comes the same comments oh if we let bass in we will destroy the fishery we have no idea what it will do but it will destroy something. The last time I dragged you guys around by the nose for 10 pages. You guys are so typical I know what you will write before you write it. I got to much to do to play with you this time.Face it will they ever try to introduce Bass in alberta again who knows if they do will i fish them sure. I lived in Ontario most of my life I've fished Bass all my life. If I want to fish Bass that bad I still own property in Ontario I can take a trip back for a week or two and fish Bass all I want. Any way like I said I don't have time to play with you so this time you will just have to play with yourself... By now thanks for playing....... :)

PS I did add Oki. because he only can play at work mom won't let him have internet at home ......JK....;)

gilbertslake
01-11-2012, 08:41 PM
Sorry I had to go guys but I had to leave before I ****ed myself every time this thread comes back up out comes the trio. Out comes the same comments oh if we let bass in we will destroy the fishery we have no idea what it will do but it will destroy something. The last time I dragged you guys around by the nose for 10 pages. You guys are so typical I know what you will write before you write it. I got to much to do to play with you this time.Face it will they ever try to introduce Bass in alberta again who knows if they do will i fish them sure. I lived in Ontario most of my life I've fished Bass all my life. If I want to fish Bass that bad I still own property in Ontario I can take a trip back for a week or two and fish Bass all I want. Any way like I said I don't have time to play with you so this time you will just have to play with yourself... By now thanks for playing....... :)

PS I did add Oki. because he only can play at work mom won't let him have internet at home ......JK....;)

Most of what I know about bass is what I see on TV.
However, Nova Scotia introduced small-mouth bass to some akes there back in the 1960's.
Bass like warmer temperatures and don't over winter well, even in Nova Scotia with higher winter temperatures than here. The American service -men at Fort Pepperell introduced bass to Quidi Vidi Lake in St John's Newoundland back in the 1950's, but they soon winter killed.
I was looking at the Nova scotia government site and found this.......
http://www.gov.ns.ca/fish/sportfishing/reports/GrandLakeBassRpt265911.pdf
Gives an idea as to how bass are faring down that way

BGSH
01-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Ice fishing for bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_2H4Xv_PP4

avb3
01-11-2012, 10:59 PM

Horsetrader, we know it is not you we are going to convince.

However, there are thinking people on this board who have a conservation ethic, and rather then having a one-sided diatribe from the "let's bring what ever critter we don't have in Alberta so we can fish/hunt it" types, we are giving some balance.

Carry on, you obviously are set in your ways.

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Horsetrader, we know it is not you we are going to convince.

However, there are thinking people on this board who have a conservation ethic, and rather then having a one-sided diatribe from the "let's bring what ever critter we don't have in Alberta so we can fish/hunt it" types, we are giving some balance.

Carry on, you obviously are set in your ways.

Ok dude what ever gets you through your day ............ you are the one that knows the best....:sHa_shakeshout:

KegRiver
01-11-2012, 11:29 PM
all albertans would be fishing a mere 4 species of fish but thats ok

I'm not sure where you got your information but I can tell you, it's wrong.
Four species! We have more then Four game fish species in the Peace River, and we don't get any of the fancy fish they get down south.

According to "The Fishes of Alberta, Paetz - Nelson", there are 49 native species of fish in Alberta waters. Thirteen of those are classed as game fish.

With your very limited knowledge of our fisheries resource you would do all of us a favor by leaving the decisions about what is and is not good for the resource, to others.

As for me, I have no desire to add Bass to my list of fish I pursue. I am more then happy with the variety we already have.

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, you'll only make it worse.

The introduction of non native species has a long history of disastrous consequences. Sure there are a few success stories. But they are the exception.

For all I know, it may be that Bass would pose n problem in Alberta waters.
But why take the chance when we have plenty of Fish species to choose from already ?

It seems to me that it makes a lot more sense to do what we can to enhance the populations we already have, rather then introducing another species to an already stressed fishery.

BGSH
01-11-2012, 11:35 PM
Four species! We have more then Four game fish species in the Peace River, and we don't get any of the fancy fish they get down south.

According to "The Fishes of Alberta, Paetz - Nelson", there are 49 native species of fish in Alberta waters. Thirteen of those are classed as game fish.

With your very limited knowledge of our fisheries resource you would do all of us a favor by leaving the decisions about what is and is not good for the resource, to others.

As for me, I have no desire to add Bass to my list of fish I pursue. I am more then happy with the variety we already have.

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, you'll only make it worse.

The introduction of non native species has a long history of disastrous consequences. Sure there are a few success stories. But they are the exception.

But why take the chance when we have plenty of Fish species to choose from already ?

It seems to me that it makes a lot more sense to do what we can to enhance the populations we already have, rather then introducing another species to an already stressed fishery.

Keg, this is just a debate so don't get mad at me, bass would not do much in Alberta Lakes except just exist in them, they are a great species to have in Alberta waters, now that being said to we need bass in Alberta, no we don't now would it hurt Alberta lakes, don't think so, so i am neutral, if they decided to out bass in Alberta lakes go for it.

horsetrader
01-12-2012, 12:27 AM

Well LA DE DA there keg we've gone through the whole deal with the 49 native species and the 13 game fish the last 3 times this thread came up.
I was being sarcastic but I guess I should have held up my sign for guys like you SORRY. I have an abundant knowledge of the Alberta fishery. And as you can see the Bass has hurt the alberta fishery terribly. I for one am not asking you to fish for bass so don't get your pantaloons in a bunch. OH and by the way according to fisheries management theres 16 native game fish

KegRiver
01-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Keg, this is just a debate so don't get mad at me, bass would not do much in Alberta Lakes except just exist in them, they are a great species to have in Alberta waters, now that being said to we need bass in Alberta, no we don't now would it hurt Alberta lakes, don't think so, so i am neutral, if they decided to out bass in Alberta lakes go for it.

Debate is acceptable I do believe. :)

I don't know where you get the idea that Bass would have no impact on other fishes, as you suggest, but I doubt it very much.
Even if the species were benign as you seem to think, it would still have a negitive impact in most suitable water in this province.

It is a simple fact that for one individual to exist, another has to not exist.
There is only so much food and habitat to go around.

Even if we place the species, only in waters where no competing species existed, in time they would wind up in other water bodies where they would compete with native species, most likely to the detriment of that native species.

Moreover, as far as I'm concerned, we already have species that I consider better sport, better eating and better looking, then a Bass.
My opinion for sure, yet what is there about a Bass that makes it worthy of the risk ?

As near as I can tell, it's only the hype from Ontario that elevates it to desirable status. From what I hear, it has neither the eating qualitys of the Walleye, the sporting qualities of the Trout nore the ease of catching and numbers of the Perch.

So far as I can tell, all it has going for it is the ability to flourish in warm waters. And that I think is something we do not need. We do not have an abundance of warm waters. Very little in fact. And those waters already support populations of sport fish such as Pike.

That is in my opinion, the best argument against introducing Bass to this Province. Why introduce a species that would have very little suitable habitat, where it may well displace native species and where it will almost certainly escape to less suitable habitat with the potentual to hurt more desirable native species.

In short, as I see it, we have far more to loose then to gain by such an experiment. And make no mistake, it would be an experiment.
Even the most knowladgable most inteligent scientist can not predict what the outcome of such an experiment would be.

If there were a compelling reason for such an expriment, the risk might be worth the possible gain. Bit in this case, there would be very very little gain for a possible major risk.

horsetrader
01-12-2012, 01:04 AM

I don't know where you get the idea that Bass would have no impact on other fishes, as you suggest, but I doubt it very much.
Even if the species were benign as you seem to think, it would still have a negitive impact in most suitable water in this province.

Even if we place the species, only in waters where no competing species existed, in time they would wind up in other water bodies where they would compete with native species, most likely to the detriment of that native species.

Moreover, as far as I'm concerned, we already have species that I consider better sport, better eating and better looking, then a Bass.
My opinion for sure, yet what is there about a Bass that makes it worthy of the risk ?

As near as I can tell, it's only the hype from Ontario that elevates it to desirable status. From what I hear, it has neither the eating qualitys of the Walleye, the sporting qualities of the Trout nore the ease of catching and numbers of the Perch.

So far as I can tell, all it has going for it is the ability to flourish in warm waters. And that I think is something we do not need. We do not have an abundance of warm waters. Very little in fact. And those waters already support populations of sport fish such as Pike.

That is in my opinion, the best argument against introducing Bass to this Province. Why introduce a species that would have very little suitable habitat, where it may well displace native species and where it will almost certainly escape to less suitable habitat with the potentual to hurt more desirable native species.

In short, as I see it, we have far more to loose then to gain by such an experiment. And make no mistake, it would be an experiment.
Even the most knowladgable most inteligent scientist can not predict what the outcome of such an experiment would be.

If there were a compelling reason for such an expriment, the risk might be worth the possible gain. Bit in this case, there would be very very little gain for a possible major risk.

Per haps you should check your facts before commenting. Ontario is not the area that promotes Bass even though their quit abundant there. THey are far more of a challenge then your stock and restock trout.And if you think they are easy to catch it shows you never have.

They are not necessary a warm water fish they survive in cold water quite well.

As far as it being an experiment Bass have already been introduced with no noticeable problems. There is nothing to show that they can not be introduced in a put and take situation much like trout are now with any ill affects. But your right debates are acceptable and thats all this is. Its not like they are going to go out tomorrow and dump a horde of Bass in the lake........ OR ARE THEY....:)

npauls
01-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Do you think bass would thrive at the Shearness plant ponds? They are warmer then most and don't seem to have many fish in them already.

Might be a cool spot to have bass, crappy, and blue gills if they could secure them in there and not have them spread out everywhere else.

I just seen another post about power plant tailing ponds and instantly thought of this place.

huntsfurfish
01-12-2012, 05:16 AM
Do you think bass would thrive at the Shearness plant ponds? They are warmer then most and don't seem to have many fish in them already.
Might be a cool spot to have bass, crappy, and blue gills if they could secure them in there and not have them spread out everywhere else.

I just seen another post about power plant tailing ponds and instantly thought of this place.

Yes

Cant secure them

gilbertslake
01-12-2012, 07:00 AM
Yes

Cant secure them

Guess Bass pros in Calgary are going to have to find a new name for the store in being that we are a bass free province :)

KegRiver
01-12-2012, 07:14 AM

It might be a good place for them, if.
Some fool is bound to think they belong in every body of water in the province and set about seeing that they get there.

It would be an ideal place for them though. After all, they are trash fish.
They thrive in places other fish would not live. Like in Ontario. :)

EZM
01-12-2012, 08:50 AM
Are you saying that bass do not break surface and become airborne unless they are yanked into the air.

No .... I was being a bit facetious. I have had Bass explode out of the water on me many times. I've also had sturgeon, Pike, trout and just about every species breach on a good fight.

The key point I was making is that having lived (and fished) both in the US and Canada - to say a bass is the "best" fighting fish hands down is not a completely accurate statement. Gear makes a fight - using 4lb line to wrestle a 6-7lb rainbow is alot more fun than catching a 8lb bass on 50lb braid.

That was my point. Bass are really fun to catch on light gear - but I'd be hard pressed to say they are the "holy grail" of game fish. Bass are not a game changer for us in Alberta. We would be required to manage them just like any other species of game fish.

Just my opinion. Bass in Alberta - I could take it or leave it - we have quite a good fishery considering our 9000 lakes and population versus other states and provinces who have way more water (and lakes) per capita.

EZM
01-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Yes

Cant secure them

If we were to shoot dead the bucket bridgade - this would be a good idea - until we are allowed to do so - introductions of non-native species should be governed with extreme caution. a penny for your thoughts.

horsetrader
01-12-2012, 09:41 AM
It might be a good place for them, if.
Some fool is bound to think they belong in every body of water in the province and set about seeing that they get there.

It would be an ideal place for them though. After all, they are trash fish.
They thrive in places other fish would not live. Like in Ontario. :)

Now thats funny rude but funny........ :)

BGSH
01-12-2012, 09:42 AM

Bass wont take over any lakes, they are not an over thriving fish, i remember fishing Langford Lake Victoria B.C for Smallmouth Bass, when we were young Mr Alec Merriman now passed away, has a great book outdoors with Alec Merriman, he told us we can use his small 10 foot boat as long as we let all the bass go, they were like his pets in the lake, we said deal, i would rather keep a trout anyways, if you swam with bass and studying them you would know they literally stay in one area most of there live, we caught the same bass day after day which was a blast, when you fight a bass on the rod be ready as it will jump right out of the water so much fun, what a blast. Can't see it having a negative impact on Alberta lakes, if anything it will be better getting ride of perch problem lakes.

horsetrader
01-12-2012, 09:57 AM
No .... I was being a bit facetious. I have had Bass explode out of the water on me many times. I've also had sturgeon, Pike, trout and just about every species breach on a good fight.

The key point I was making is that having lived (and fished) both in the US and Canada - to say a bass is the "best" fighting fish hands down is not a completely accurate statement. Gear makes a fight - using 4lb line to wrestle a 6-7lb rainbow is alot more fun than catching a 8lb bass on 50lb braid.

That was my point. Bass are really fun to catch on light gear - but I'd be hard pressed to say they are the "holy grail" of game fish. Bass are not a game changer for us in Alberta. We would be required to manage them just like any other species of game fish.

Just my opinion. Bass in Alberta - I could take it or leave it - we have quite a good fishery considering our 9000 lakes and population versus other states and provinces who have way more water (and lakes) per capita.

I have lived and fished in both US and Canada but have never found a reason to fish Bass with 50lb braid even in South Carolina. You are right Alberta dose have a good fishery for the water ways it has to contend with. Bass would be a great addition to any fishery but so would muskie. the chances of it happening in Alberta is doubtful but always posable but until that happens I'm quit happy with what Alberta has to offer.

Okotokian
01-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Flame War.......time to gather round :argue2:

naw, I like Horsetrader. No flaming, just a poke.

Okotokian
01-12-2012, 10:02 AM

I'd be quite happy to have secured water like this stocked with bass. But somehow fish in Alberta seem to just get up in the middle of the night and walk to other water bodies. I dont' know how they do it, but the do. Cost SRD a lot in rotenone.

KegRiver
01-12-2012, 10:36 AM
[/COLOR]

Now thats funny rude but funny........ :)

LOL Sorry bout that, I put it down to temptation. :)

fish gunner
01-12-2012, 11:11 AM
there is a case that stocking man made closed warm water cooling ponds. however anglers dont seem to be responsable enough to maintain access to these area. so perhaps a tag requiring training and triploid stocking would allow exotic introduction.this is a large undertaking and we cannot even seem to access funding for more Co's never mind projects of this complex a nature. there is a difference between the bucket brigade and proper fishery management. not that there have no been messes created by both methods. the ebro river in spain is an example of what the bucket brigade can inflict on a watershed while creating a world class fishery dead river from a native species point if veiw. and the gov put mile perch in lake victoria and killed the lake

horsetrader
01-12-2012, 12:03 PM
LOL Sorry bout that, I put it down to temptation. :)

It was so smooth never seen it coming just about spit coffee on laptop......lol

greylynx
01-12-2012, 05:55 PM
there is a case that stocking man made closed warm water cooling ponds. however anglers dont seem to be responsable enough to maintain access to these area. so perhaps a tag requiring training and triploid stocking would allow exotic introduction.this is a large undertaking and we cannot even seem to access funding for more Co's never mind projects of this complex a nature. there is a difference between the bucket brigade and proper fishery management. not that there have no been messes created by both methods. the ebro river in spain is an example of what the bucket brigade can inflict on a watershed while creating a world class fishery dead river from a native species point if veiw. and the gov put mile perch in lake victoria and killed the lake

I love your term "bucket brigade". It is so so accurate in describing fisheries managment in Alberta.

Instead of complaining, old greylynx would cut the education budget in half and devote it to fisheries. Make those skrool teachers work for a living, and have a wonderful fishery for kids to goof off .

fish gunner
01-12-2012, 06:43 PM
I love your term "bucket brigade". It is so so accurate in describing fisheries managment in Alberta.

Instead of complaining, old greylynx would cut the education budget in half and devote it to fisheries. Make those skrool teachers work for a living, and have a wonderful fishery for kids to goof off .

I think we have a heritage fund right, just like norway.twice the population of canada 5 times the heritge fund on 1/2 the oil. I smell some thing funny afoot in our province of 3 odd milion people. the bow river brown trout population. out of a broken down truck? ?? so yeh our most revered fishery bucket brigade

lenardobc
01-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Bass wont take over any lakes, they are not an over thriving fish, i remember fishing Langford Lake Victoria B.C for Smallmouth Bass, when we were young Mr Alec Merriman now passed away, has a great book outdoors with Alec Merriman, he told us we can use his small 10 foot boat as long as we let all the bass go, they were like his pets in the lake, we said deal, i would rather keep a trout anyways, if you swam with bass and studying them you would know they literally stay in one area most of there live, we caught the same bass day after day which was a blast, when you fight a bass on the rod be ready as it will jump right out of the water so much fun, what a blast. Can't see it having a negative impact on Alberta lakes, if anything it will be better getting ride of perch problem lakes.

i fish langford lake all the time.. i got a 6lb smallie there last yr.. was a first on the island for me..

niceman
01-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Years ago, talking 80's, Island Lake is correct but it was a man made lake past Smokey Lake, near Mons. Island lake was just a name locals made up. It was a pilot project for bass. One of two. For about 7 years you could, if lucky get a bass. Perch fishing on the lake at that time was nuts. Alberta record is from this lake. I have seen a 3 lb 8 oz perch from this lake in the old days. The man who caught it, did not care for the record. He only cared about perch. On 1 weekend when I was young, my friend and I caught 5 perch over 3 lbs. I have a picture to prove that statement.
I scanned and forwarded the picture to Willowtrail, my BIL, as I have no idea how to post a picture. Last Bass caught from this lake by record was 2004.
I have tried for perch since then, the lake has draw back atleast 120 feet.
For the most part, in my opinion, the lake is dead.

Niceman

niceman
01-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Years ago, talking 80's, Island Lake is correct but it was a man made lake past Smokey Lake, near Mons. Island lake was just a name locals made up. It was a pilot project for bass. One of two. For about 7 years you could, if lucky get a bass. Perch fishing on the lake at that time was nuts. Alberta record is from this lake. I have seen a 3 lb 8 oz perch from this lake in the old days. The man who caught it, did not care for the record. He only cared about perch. On 1 weekend when I was young, my friend and I caught 5 perch over 3 lbs. I have a picture to prove that statement.
I scanned and forwarded the picture to Willowtrail, my BIL, as I have no idea how to post a picture. Last Bass caught from this lake by record was 2004.
I have tried for perch since then, the lake has draw back atleast 120 feet.
For the most part, in my opinion, the lake is dead.

Niceman

BGSH
01-12-2012, 08:30 PM
i fish langford lake all the time.. i got a 6lb smallie there last yr.. was a first on the island for me..

Seriously, congrats good to see there still there, my biggest was a 6.4 pound female, you will never believe how i caught it as well, huge rainbows in that lake now also, many 6 pounders get caught out of there and my friend Nelson caught a 10 pounder out of Elk Lake on the island, i remember fishing beaver and elk for bass when i was 18, what a blast, memory's to last a lifetime.

BeeGuy
01-12-2012, 10:58 PM
the bow river brown trout population. out of a broken down truck? ?? so yeh our most revered fishery bucket brigade

bahaha

very well said

fish gunner
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
bahaha

very well said

ya its the highlight of alberta fishery managment oops did I say that.gone all quite all of a sudden.

sheephunter
01-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Here's a pretty good read on bass in Canada from DFO for those interested. I'm sure many won't be though :)

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/337843.pdf

This section is really interesting.

The introduction of non-native species is a serious threat to fish communities in
Canadian lakes and rivers. Highly adaptable species can spread far beyond their
initial point of introduction, along many pathways, with effects that range from
simple competition and predation to subtle but far-reaching alterations of
communities and ecosystems.
Largemouth bass Micropterus salmoides is native to North America. It is a
capable invader, a strong competitor, and a known predator on native fish
species. Its range in Canada has expanded west to British Columbia and east
into New Brunswick. Invasive largemouth bass should be considered a potential
threat to freshwater biodiversity not only through its ability to alter native minnow
communities but also for the potential to impact salmonid populations.

horsetrader
01-13-2012, 12:31 AM
I think we have a heritage fund right, just like norway.twice the population of canada 5 times the heritge fund on 1/2 the oil. I smell some thing funny afoot in our province of 3 odd milion people. the bow river brown trout population. out of a broken down truck? ?? so yeh our most revered fishery bucket brigade

bahaha

very well said

ya its the highlight of alberta fishery managment oops did I say that.gone all quite all of a sudden.

So nice of you to slam the Alberta fishery management. It definitely shows your immature mind set. If we cant understand it and were to lazy to help change it lets make fun of it ..... well done boy great leadership for younger members.....:thinking-006:

fish gunner
01-13-2012, 01:09 AM
those are the facts. it just happens to be particularly funny .the fishery as whole in the south is a combination man made reservoirs and medium size rivers.in my experience they fish, fair to good and one can enjoy life a time fishing on the bow but this as a native river is close to dead. I am asking how far do I have to travel up the bow to find a cuttie or bull. I try to give my thoughts on fisheries. if not as clear as I would like. I have been fortunate enough to see first hand great success and failure in fisheries management. the brown trout is a product of the british relm. new zealand like calgary has a population of introduced trout they flourish every thing is fine. most folk dont under stand the river is is not fine but is unlightly to return to its natural state.I will not diverge but as an international traveler the general public has the wool over there eye's.I cannot speak on the northern parts of the province. I do not think I have all the answers but I do try to learn from the mistakes others.and. thier success.it is lightly that the native fish of the bow would not survive the modern bow.so it can be said to be a successful planting ,just done by the bucket brigade. the fisheries have room to improve. how is just harder to get right.

BeeGuy
01-13-2012, 01:55 AM
I'd love to see more bulls in the bow.

I know they are there, but as a C&R fishery they are essentially absent. From my experience there seems to be more lakers in the bow than bulls.

Cutthroat genetics are still in there, but it wouldnt be fair to call those fish cutties.

JTRED
01-13-2012, 06:53 AM
We have a couple of good bass lakes here in the Creston valley. They are fun to catch and put up a pretty good fight. For the most part BC has closed all bass fishing to discourage illegal stocking and is actively killing lakes to try and bring back the native species. Our local Rod and Gun club actually owns a lake on the border and has it's own limits for it. It's a family fishing lake just for the members, it's a great little lake and just full of Western Painted turtles. Lots of fun to canoe around with my girls, when they're bored with fishing we go look for turtles.

horsetrader
01-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Here's a pretty good read on bass in Canada from DFO for those interested. I'm sure many won't be though :)

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/337843.pdf

This section is really interesting.

Your right sheep it is a good read. And even though I would love to see smallmouth Bass in Alberta I would not like to see it unless it can be done in a safe manner that would not risk the water ways or fisheries. I don't think it is an impossible task just one that is not feasible at this time. But I won't give up on the idea.

avb3
01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Your right sheep it is a good read. And even though I would love to see smallmouth Bass in Alberta I would not like to see it unless it can be done in a safe manner that would not risk the water ways or fisheries. I don't think it is an impossible task just one that is not feasible at this time. But I won't give up on the idea.

There IS light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train!!! :)

horsetrader
01-13-2012, 01:45 PM
There IS light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not a train!!! :)

lololol.I did say I won't give up on the idea. lol

avb3
01-13-2012, 01:46 PM
lololol.I did say I won't give up on the idea. lol

I kinda ignored that part so my illusion of you having had an epiphany would not be destroyed... lol.

horsetrader
01-13-2012, 01:47 PM
I kinda ignored that part so my illusion of you having had an epiphany would not be destroyed... lol.

Thats fair ..lol

mszomola
02-11-2016, 02:10 PM
--

mszomola
02-11-2016, 02:36 PM
Just to throw you a curveball. I know of several lakes in Alberta which unnamed individuals from the last ( 4 years ) on this forum have bucketed and brought large and smallmouth from BC lakes into Alberta lakes.

1. I'm sure you know the lakes because it was a complete disaster, the bass took over the lakes and now all the trout are gone. Can you guess which one ?

NOPE !!! you can't because the non native alberta theory is badly flawed. In fact none of the bass dropped in these lakes were ever caught or seen again ( again unnamed individuals who DID place bass in certain lakes in their proximity in southern and central Alberta )

2. Lakes like Invermere, Skaha, Ossoyoos, Christina BC carry introduced Bass, in fact every BC lake with them was introduced. Did this species devastate trout populations ? Is Skaha and Ossoyoos a bass only lake ?

NOPE, those lakes exists as they did before with no impact on the other species. The species co-exists with no damaging effects other then some bass are stunted in size and take longer to get big.

Therefore even if you went on a bucket brigade ( which really is a racist way of identifying asains fishing because i know theres that bit of redneck in all albertans :) ) Your case in invasive non-native species is defunct.

If your own Natural Resources dumped bass into alberta lakes many moons ago. Means they made the effort, it was likely expensive and it didn't work. Its not the type of project you want to repeat. and it has nothing to do with non native.

Discussion OVER

RavYak
02-11-2016, 03:31 PM
This discussion was OVER 4 years ago... But thanks for coming out...

huntsfurfish
02-11-2016, 05:18 PM
What the?

huntsfurfish
02-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Please tell all.

If you know of lakes that have had bass intorduced, please report it!!!!!!!

Donkey Oatey
02-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Oh great another bass hole thread revived.

SNAPFisher
02-11-2016, 05:46 PM
Just to throw you a curveball. I know of several lakes in Alberta which unnamed individuals from the last ( 4 years ) on this forum have bucketed and brought large and smallmouth from BC lakes into Alberta lakes.

1. I'm sure you know the lakes because it was a complete disaster, the bass took over the lakes and now all the trout are gone. Can you guess which one ?

NOPE !!! you can't because the non native alberta theory is badly flawed. In fact none of the bass dropped in these lakes were ever caught or seen again ( again unnamed individuals who DID place bass in certain lakes in their proximity in southern and central Alberta )

2. Lakes like Invermere, Skaha, Ossoyoos, Christina BC carry introduced Bass, in fact every BC lake with them was introduced. Did this species devastate trout populations ? Is Skaha and Ossoyoos a bass only lake ?

NOPE, those lakes exists as they did before with no impact on the other species. The species co-exists with no damaging effects other then some bass are stunted in size and take longer to get big.

Therefore even if you went on a bucket brigade ( which really is a racist way of identifying asains fishing because i know theres that bit of redneck in all albertans :) ) Your case in invasive non-native species is defunct.

If your own Natural Resources dumped bass into alberta lakes many moons ago. Means they made the effort, it was likely expensive and it didn't work. Its not the type of project you want to repeat. and it has nothing to do with non native.

Discussion OVER

Agreed. Discussion OVER. OVER 4 years ago!!. Are you that unaware and uninformed on how forums work?

I think a nice feature would be anything older on here is locked after 3 months of inactivity. Just sayin

rupert
02-11-2016, 06:19 PM
To lock them after 3 months would be stupid. I like to search out stuff I've seen before. If u don't want to read it why the hell did u click on it?:argue2:

Talking moose
02-11-2016, 06:26 PM
To lock them after 3 months would be stupid. I like to search out stuff I've seen before. If u don't want to read it why the hell did u click on it?:argue2:

Lock means you can still read it, just can't comment.

Habfan
02-11-2016, 06:27 PM

Easy now !!:)

SNAPFisher
02-11-2016, 06:59 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/attachment.php?attachmentid=118069&stc=1&d=1455242353

Mackinaw
02-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Agreed. Discussion OVER. OVER 4 years ago!!. Are you that unaware and uninformed on how forums work?

I think a nice feature would be anything older on here is locked after 3 months of inactivity. Just sayin

Another person that just can't control themselves and not read a post.....?

By the way what is a Bass.....😈

Mack

italk2u
02-12-2016, 08:27 AM
I think a lot of us have been brainwashed by the "great American media machine" into believing that the large mouth bass is the be-all and end-all of game fish.
I just finished 3 weeks of bass fishing virtually every day in Southern California and I've decided that while they are great fun to catch.....for the first 5-10 seconds or so, after that it's just a matter of hauling them in like a snagged log and letting them go.
They ain't no big deal boys and IMHO we are better off without them.
Now smallmouths...well that's a different kettle of fish altogether.:sHa_shakeshout: