PDA

View Full Version : Spray Report

critter
04-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Just thought id let y'all know how spray was this week. I walked an hour through knee deep snow to my favourite spot, luckily i had snow shoes so was able to stay on top of the floodwater and snow. There is almost 2 feet of snow (rather compact, snowshoes keep you on top) and in some places, a few inches of floodwater. Although where i was fishing, there was no floodwater. Fishing was hot, caught about 15, had another 20 bites, landed a few around 20 inches for a nice meal, and lost a nice one which was insanely aggressive. I hooked it 4 times, moving it off the bottom a few feet each time, and it kept getting off, then coming back. Id set the hook,rod would double over, a few good head shakes, and then slack. As soon as the jig fell to the bottom of the slack, there he was again. So i did the same thing a few more times, and eventually got er about half way up and she got off. Probably around 3-5 lbs. Never seen a laker in spray so aggressive, i have seen it on cold lake though. This was a bigger fish, a possible video candidate had it held on longer. (i had the video all set up, shoulda pressed play for the hookset gongshow.) Bite best in morning as always, but still steady all day with a tap every 10 minutes or so. Great day, only bin acouple times this year and managed to hook a big'er laker each time with some great action. Cheers!

thumper
04-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Heard them bombing Whiteman's Pass yesterday - like they often do to bring down avalanches that routinely cross that section of road.
A guy was fined $300 just last week for driving on a highway closed due to avalanche danger in Banff Park.
I wouldn't be talking about squeezing under gates if I was you!

otdrsmn
04-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Hey guys did any body go today, on Saturday ? Just wondering what is road conditions from Canmore Spray, after this snow storm ?

calgarygringo
04-02-2011, 05:05 PM
A few others of us going up there tomorrow as well. Maybe see you there.

otdrsmn
04-02-2011, 05:10 PM
I"ll be at Sparrowhawk. Supposed to be an excellent day, per my GPS moon calendar.

calgarygringo
04-02-2011, 05:40 PM
We will be in the Driftwood area.

otdrsmn
04-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I just hope the road is ok with all this white **** falling non-stop...

calgarygringo
04-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Just put in 4x4 and plow through. I am sure it will be ok. I just looked at the radar on Environment Canada weather and it is looking better there than in cowtown already. Supposed to clear up overnight.

baitfisher83
04-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Anyone goin there from Calgary that has an extra seat???I still haven't been to this lake..lol

otdrsmn
04-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Thanks Gringo!

chubbdarter
04-02-2011, 07:46 PM
im no spray expert....so this may sound stupid

went to spray 2 weeks ago to driftwood, a place i used to fish.....walked out about half way across and could only find 46 fow......was i lost or is it that low now?

is it deeper at sparrow?

critter
04-02-2011, 07:50 PM
i fished the far end (neither sparrowhawk or driftwood) and the water level seemed to be the same as it was when i went in early january. Maybe it dropped a few feet but thats it imo.. I could find 100 feet easily, but was fishing in about 50.

calgarygringo
04-02-2011, 07:53 PM
This is my first time there. Last time we were down there and yes we were 60/80 or so. We did manage a few for suppers and a few got a skunk. Puddles caught the minnow of the group if I recall. I am armed with depth chart in hand so hopefully will find some water. I will post after we get back.

chubbdarter
04-02-2011, 07:54 PM
i fished the far end (neither sparrowhawk or driftwood) and the water level seemed to be the same as it was when i went in early january. Maybe it dropped a few feet but thats it imo.. I could find 100 feet easily, but was fishing in about 50.

whats all the sticks in the ice for....markers for races?

chubbdarter
04-02-2011, 08:04 PM
whats the most effective lure?
is using smelt important?

baitfisher83
04-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Chubb yer not gonna go anyways, yer scared of disappearing into 2 ft of snow :P

chubbdarter
04-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Chubb yer not gonna go anyways, yer scared of disappearing into 2 ft of snow :P

if there is a bunch of experts out there i can learn from......im thinking of going.

baitfisher83
04-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Oh sure, NOW you wanna go :P

chubbdarter
04-02-2011, 08:15 PM
even if gringo and critter wont talk here ......i can follow them around and be a pest...lol

baitfisher83
04-02-2011, 08:16 PM
not if there's 2 ft of snow :P

calgarygringo
04-02-2011, 08:33 PM
I know a lot use white buzz bombs and I was told and did some googling that white tube jigs with head half of smelt for bait works good. Tried that last time and had a nice one for the pan and had one wiggle off at the hole. That was my first time ice fishing for lakers so no expert by any means. Tomorow hoping for some good action since the weather supposed to be sunny and warm up there.

Daceminnow
04-02-2011, 08:36 PM
whats all the sticks in the ice for....markers for races?

dog sled trail.

chubbdarter
04-02-2011, 08:38 PM
I know a lot use white buzz bombs and I was told and did some googling that white tube jigs with head half of smelt for bait works good. Tried that last time and had a nice one for the pan and had one wiggle off at the hole. That was my first time ice fishing for lakers so no expert by any means. Tomorow hoping for some good action since the weather supposed to be sunny and warm up there.

what size tube CG?

is that tackle shop in Canmore open tomorrow?

chubbdarter
04-02-2011, 08:39 PM
dog sled trail.

well they should clean up after themselfs...seeing as we have to

calgarygringo
04-02-2011, 08:54 PM
I just took some of my walleye white 3/8 oz I think they were and had some white rubber grubs with long tails. It seemed to work as good or better than everyone in the group other than Stang. I think he was also working harder as we were also trying to socialize that day as well. Proably was part of the reason half the group got skunked. We always like to talk lots at the gatherings. It is tougher to do in winter when we have to do it while we are fishing. Summer we can do around the fire after fishing is done. Fell free to join up. Myself the wife the 2 4 legged kids and Slingshotz and wife and kid and maybe jts1 but I have not heard back since Friday if he is coming as well.

chubbdarter
04-02-2011, 09:07 PM
I just took some of my walleye white 3/8 oz I think they were and had some white rubber grubs with long tails. It seemed to work as good or better than everyone in the group other than Stang. I think he was also working harder as we were also trying to socialize that day as well. Proably was part of the reason half the group got skunked. We always like to talk lots at the gatherings. It is tougher to do in winter when we have to do it while we are fishing. Summer we can do around the fire after fishing is done. Fell free to join up. Myself the wife the 2 4 legged kids and Slingshotz and wife and kid and maybe jts1 but I have not heard back since Friday if he is coming as well.

so like a 3 inch tail?
thanks CG

calgarygringo
04-02-2011, 09:10 PM
Sounds about right. Some I have talked to cut the tail right off and just use the body and then tip with smelt.

chubbdarter
04-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Sounds about right. Some I have talked to cut the tail right off and just use the body and then tip with smelt.

CG about 10 years ago i caught a 24lber in front of driftwood on a power teaser and smelt.

But now im completely lost....heck i cant even find 70-90 fow...last trip the boys marked alot of fish.....i never marked a single fish...

calgarygringo
04-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I am going to use this tomorrow for finding my way. I took it out last time out and I am not sure exactly on the feet but the general area we fished looked pretty close to the drawing as far as structure. With some of these reservoirs going up and down it can be hard to tell the real depths. Click on the link to my close up chart of the Driftwood end of spray.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/calgarygringo/spraylake.jpg

chubbdarter
04-02-2011, 09:32 PM
I am going to use this tomorrow for finding my way. I took it out last time out and I am not sure exactly on the feet but the general area we fished looked pretty close to the drawing as far as structure. With some of these reservoirs going up and down it can be hard to tell the real depths. Click on the link to my close up chart of the Driftwood end of spray.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v605/calgarygringo/spraylake.jpg

when we were there 2 weeks ago there was islands in every direction except south.
it so beutiful out there...a fish is a bonus

FishBrain
04-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Chub, Gringo, if you are heading out tomorrow, go to sparrowhawk, easy to find 80 FOW and deeper, there is a shack out at about 100FOW or max depth. I am driving a Black Ram, will be with Jason, Have a black Sub zero hut. I am meeting Jacenbeers at the gas station on HWY 1 for 6AM, should be at sparrow for 7:30.

I personally like the Tube Jigs, my Glow one is getting well chewed up, And smelt is a huge help.

baitfisher83
04-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Sounds like a party out there....lol

FishBrain
04-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Due to a series of unfortunate events, I am not able to join you guys.
After the morning started with some oops, and my wife said "I wasn't mean't to go" I proceeded to hack away and try. Finally I made it on the road, a few K into the trip and I had a vision of me standing at Spray with no Auger, and no snow boots. So I decided my wife was right. :( Turned around and here I am typing a post. :mad0030:
On the other hand, I did wake up my wife....and the kids are still asleep :sHa_shakeshout::love0025: