PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Walker Downriggers

sapper3
04-02-2011, 01:59 PM
I purchase a pair of Walker kingFisher 1 down-riggers with 2ft arms. The question I have is where to mount them in my 2011 Crestliner Super Hawk. What I mean is I see the down-rigger mounted with the arms of the side and well the down rigger with the arm pointing off the back of the boat> can you explain to me the reason and well if one method is better, Thanks

tacklerunner
04-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Sides sides sides. Keeps your gear further apart and once you get a cable wrapped in your prop you will know what I mean. I don't know why someone would mount one on the back unless they already had 2 on the sides and a really big boat with a really wide beam. Maybe a huge charter boat in the salt chuck would if they were fishing 6+ lines.

chubbdarter
04-02-2011, 02:14 PM
i run four so 2 go back(short arms) and 2 are winged out( long arms).
if your only going to run 2 position or spread isnt as critical.
use a swivel mount and then the option is open to run them either way.
The most important thing is for you to set them in a position that makes access to the cable and clips convienent without having to lean overboard too far, they also make a teather to draw in the ball if needed. You can also tilt in to get the clips nearer but i dont like a 12 lb. ball swinging in....its like a wrecking ball in rough water. Every boat is different.