PDA

View Full Version : Boating and fishing in Jasper

Xiph0id
04-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Reading on the websites, it is very unclear, but from what I could, it says that some lakes you are alowed gas powered boats. None of which are listed.
Can anyone name the lake that have decent fishing and are allowed motor boats?

If there are no good options I will be taking a trip to banff, to fish minnewanka.

gary2242
04-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Hi guys

A few years ago I was on vacation in Alberta. I am from Ontario. Between Banff and Jasper, I stopped on the side of the road and grabbed my fishing rod and walked up beside a little stream a few hundred yards from the road and caught a couple of small trout.

The one trout I caught was silver with a bright red mark that went across the throat. I just assumed it was a Cut Throat Trout because I had never seen one before as we don't have those in Ontario. After looking at pictures of Cut-throats it was a totally different fish.

Does anyone know what I caught??

Gary

FishingFrenzy
04-02-2011, 06:35 PM
Hi guys

A few years ago I was on vacation in Alberta. I am from Ontario. Between Banff and Jasper, I stopped on the side of the road and grabbed my fishing rod and walked up beside a little stream a few hundred yards from the road and caught a couple of small trout.

The one trout I caught was silver with a bright red mark that went across the throat. I just assumed it was a Cut Throat Trout because I had never seen one before as we don't have those in Ontario. After looking at pictures of Cut-throats it was a totally different fish.

Gary

Probably still a cutty. Trout from different areas all tend to look different, sometimes ALOT different.

Icefishin
04-03-2011, 12:43 AM
In regards to the topic all waterbodies in Jasper national park are electric motors only. Last time there was gas powered boats allowed was in the 90's. Although parks Canada(wardens) and maligne boat tours(grandfathered lease agreement) will still use gas powered boats. Not sure about banff, last I heard only minnewanka allowed the usage of gas powered boats.

McLeod
04-03-2011, 08:49 AM
No gas motors except Minniwanka and Waterton.

Dust1n
04-03-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi guys

Gary

Alberta has a ton of differnt strain of cuthroat trout all looking a bit differnt butall have the distint marking under its jaw. It may be a cutbow hybrid.

Dak1138
04-03-2011, 11:16 AM
i think pyramid allows gas.

Jwood 456
04-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi guys

Gary

Alberta has a ton of differnt strain of cuthroat trout all looking a bit differnt butall have the distint marking under its jaw. It may be a cutbow hybrid.

Did the fish look like the top fish in the picture posted below? If so, that's probably a cutbow(rainbow cuthroat trout hybrid). I caught that trout out of Kootney lake BC.

Speckle55
04-03-2011, 12:56 PM
In Jasper you cannot use a gas powered Boat period just got off phone

use to be Pyrimad and Talbot.. if you need info on Jasper Lakes ask me .. David

Dust1n
04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Did the fish look like the top fish in the picture posted below? If so, that's probably a cutbow(rainbow cuthroat trout hybrid). I caught that trout out of Kootney lake BC.

looat the colors on that male eh very ncie trout except you should have caught bigger fish being there from kootany ;)

McLeod
04-03-2011, 09:24 PM
i think pyramid allows gas.

No gas motors except Minniwanka and Waterton.

Jwood 456
04-04-2011, 08:11 AM
looat the colors on that male eh very ncie trout except you should have caught bigger fish being there from kootany ;)

Yeah, for the big trout they were really deep and I didn't have a heavy enough rod for the weight required to get the lure down and I didn't have a downrigger on my 12ft truck topper boat either. I also didn't know what to use for them at the time. I talked to a guide as well that ran the campground I was staying at. He had 5 solid years of experience and he said he even had a hard time getting the big ones to bite.

tacklerunner
04-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Sorry to continue to sway from the topic of this thread but this is a Kootenay Lake rainbow:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/262lbrainbow.jpg

Erik
04-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi guys

Gary

Hope you had your parks fishing license. Not to say that you didn't, but just pointing it out for the purposes of this thread that people need to obtain their national parks fishing license before fishing in Jasper, Banff, Kootenay and Yoho national parks. I think they can be purchased at the gates, otherwise check out this webpage for more info:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/tarifs-fees_e.asp?park=1

SonnyJ
04-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Picked up my Jasper license about two hours ago.They no longer sell them at the gate but you can get them at Online sports in town...They didn't have the regs in yet so I'll have to go back later to get them.

McLeod
04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Picked up my Jasper license about two hours ago.They no longer sell them at the gate but you can get them at Online sports in town...They didn't have the regs in yet so I'll have to go back later to get them.

They won't have the new regs until middle of May at the earliest based on the last 30 years of when parks annual regs have come out.

Speckle55
04-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Sorry to continue to sway from the topic of this thread but this is a Kootenay Lake rainbow:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc416/tacklerunner/262lbrainbow.jpg

Beautiful Grats

Erik
04-04-2011, 07:21 PM

good to know

dollfin
04-06-2011, 02:23 PM
wow that Kootenay trout is huge! I have yet to catch any fish on that lake yet!