PDA

View Full Version : I am in the wrong profession !!!

blackmamba
04-02-2011, 08:15 PM
So went out for a day of shed hunting, and my puppy decided it would be cool to play with a porcupine !! Altho I didnt think the quills were into deep I decided it would best to take him to the vet ..

489 .00 bucks later and 28 bucks for medication !! He was there for 2 hours and i am sure it didn t take 10 minutes to pull them out .. I think this is out rageous !!! has any one else paid this kinda money to have quills removed ??

mamba,

New Hunter Okotoks
04-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Was it a special call in (After hours/weekend rate) for the Vet? If it was just a drop in,and the place was open for regular business,then that price seems quite steep.

Glad your dog is OK( and hopefully learned a lesson! LOL! )

SonnyJ
04-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Can't you just yank them out yourself?

blackmamba
04-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Can't you just yank them out yourself?

apparently if they break off , they can get into the blood stream and cause major issues , atleast thats what they told me !!!

pikergolf
04-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Back in the day, when my dog made her first mistake with a porcupine the vet told me you hold her down and I'll pull them out. She chewed me out for not holding the dog firmly enough when she tried to pull them out, and after I firmed up she pulled out about a dozen. Dog never even whimpered, and 20 bucks and 15 min. later we were headed back into the field. The second experience didn't turn out quit as well as she had them in her tongue and down her throat. She had to be put under but the bill was still well under a 100 bucks. Never bothered them again after that.

SonnyJ
04-02-2011, 08:45 PM
apparently if they break off , they can get into the blood stream and cause major issues , atleast thats what they told me !!!

haha...I'm thinking they just want your money..btw...nice pooch..:)

sheephunter
04-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Vets have a secret porcupine raise and release program going here in Alberta...lol

After regular hours usually equals big bucks!

artie
04-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Talking to a guy the other day at nose hill in Calgary whose dog got some quills in the front wrist joint just back of the paw. He never had any quills in the face area. They had to put the dog under to do it and it cost him around $800.00. Years ago my buddy ran into a group who had a dog with lots of quills in his face area. They were a couple of days from the road and the quills had already been in for a day. My buddy said the dog would not live long enough for them to walk him out. So he rolled the dog up in a sleeping bag with just his head sticking out. A couple of guys held the dog down and he got to pulling quills. He said there was lots of blood everywhere from each quill he pulled out. When he got them all out they let the dog go and he ran into the lake and cleaned himself up. Others told my buddy you had better get out of here because when that dog comes out of the lake he is going to remember you and attack you. The dog did come out of the lake and went straight to my buddy and began licking his hand.

HillHunter
04-02-2011, 09:09 PM
wow hope your dog heals ok!

geezer55
04-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Talked to my son and he gave me an approximate break down of what they would charge at the vet hospital he works at.
$100.00 after hours charge and if after midnight even more
$80.00 emergency check-up
$20.00 blood work
$80.00-$100.00 to put pet out and help recover
$80.00/10 minutes pulling quills
$30.00 for inject able medication
$15.00 for the cone
$25.00 for medication for giving later
He said that it sounds expensive but we should think about what the size of bill we would get for a visit to hospital emergency instead of having health care paying it for us.

Rockymtnx
04-02-2011, 09:27 PM
BM, Ouch!!!!! to both you and your dog.
No pun intended, but it looks like you both got stung today.

209x50
04-02-2011, 09:30 PM
My dog would have missed 5 minutes of running around while I fixed that. I understand worry for your pet but none of those are hardly in the skin. i had a beagle that love porkies and he never saw a vet.

redranger15
04-02-2011, 09:32 PM
We had a few dogs back on the farm that would learn the hard way. We used to put them in the truck then put his head out the window, roller up enough that he can't pull out. Cut them in half with the scissors and then start pulling with some pliers.

Plummerbutt
04-02-2011, 09:33 PM
I think I read on a hunting bird-dog forum that if you cut the top of the quill off, this will cause the barb to relax, and the quills can be pulled out about as easy as pulling toothpicks. Some of them bird hunting forums can offer some good medicine for the pooch.

sheephunter
04-02-2011, 09:34 PM
I think I read on a hunting bird-dog forum that if you cut the top of the quill off, this will cause the barb to relax, and the quills can be pulled out about as easy as pulling toothpicks. Some of them bird hunting forums can offer some good medicine for the pooch.

Pure urban legend. Doesn't matter if you cut them or not.

rugatika
04-02-2011, 09:36 PM
First time I pulled quills on a dog I heard to cut them as well...later learned this is just a myth. Pull em right out.

densa44
04-02-2011, 09:36 PM
Just at the end of grouse season last fall my dog got some quills, a few more than your dog I think.

I carry in my pocket one of those folding pliers like a small leather man. I held her by her "features" the sort of beard a Pudelpointer has, clipped the end of the quills to let the air out, then used the pliers to pull them all. They came out very easily.

She just went back to hunting like nothing had happened.

I guess I saved myself a few bucks.

pseelk
04-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Next time just cut the ends off with scissors than pull them out your self.Used to do it all the time on the farm,our dogs ran into them several times.You would think theyd learn after the first time but they must forget how much fun it is.lol

Nait Hadya
04-02-2011, 09:48 PM
take a death grip on them and get to yankin'.

artie
04-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I wonder what is the difference if you pull them out or the vet puts the dog under and pulls them out. They are still being pulled out so the tips have a chance of being broken off by you or by the vet. Do they pull out easier if the dog is under sedation?

sheephunter
04-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Do they pull out easier if the dog is under sedation?

Not easier but the dog doesn't struggle so less likely to break them. Easier to find broken ones too and deal with them. Amazing how many can be under the skin and need to be cut out.

Hunter65
04-02-2011, 10:13 PM
So went out for a day of shed hunting, and my puppy decided it would be cool to play with a porcupine !! Altho I didnt think the quills were into deep I decided it would best to take him to the vet ..

489 .00 bucks later and 28 bucks for medication !! He was there for 2 hours and i am sure it didn t take 10 minutes to pull them out .. I think this is out rageous !!! has any one else paid this kinda money to have quills removed ??

mamba,

Nope. Spent about $10 on pliers once tho.

TreeGuy
04-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Looks like about $48.90/quill there Mamba. :lol:

Snip tip 'n rip. ;)

Musta been a pretty big porky dude. Those quills are HUGE. Not in very deep either. Would've been a pretty simple fix. Next time post the pics first. Probably save ya some cash. :D

blackmamba
04-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Looks like about $48.90/quill there Mamba. :lol:

Snip tip 'n rip. ;)

Musta been a pretty big porky dude. Those quills are HUGE. Not in very deep either. Would've been a pretty simple fix. Next time post the pics first. Probably save ya some cash. :D

lol... yeah note to self , Honestly I was a little worried cause they were so close to his eye!!

shouldn t you be shovelling snow or somethin :rolleyes:

LongDraw
04-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Paying vet bills and you start get the idea of the true cost of our own "subsidized" health care system.

Nice looking dog!

TreeGuy
04-02-2011, 11:02 PM
lol... yeah note to self , Honestly I was a little worried cause they were so close to his eye!!

shouldn t you be shovelling snow or somethin :rolleyes:

4am will arrive again soon enough. :(

Islander's lab pup got into a porky up there recently too. There's lots of 'em on Nose Hill these days and could certainly use some thinning out. Cut a few holes in the fence along John Laurier and it would soon resemble the TCH back east! :evilgrin:

catnthehat
04-02-2011, 11:10 PM
My dog would have missed 5 minutes of running around while I fixed that. I understand worry for your pet but none of those are hardly in the skin. i had a beagle that love porkies and he never saw a vet.

X2! Hornhead's griffon, Tramp got into one a few years back when we were hunting, took me about 5 minutes, and he was good as new.
Same as my buddy's lab last year, he had some inside his mouth as well s his nose - I will never regret switching my lock back Gerber for a multi pliar when they first came out!:)
Cat

thumper
04-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Pulled a face full of quills out of my buddy's lab last fall. It took both of us rolling around the ground to hold her still, but she wagged her tail the entire time. Crazy labs just love any attention they can get!

double gun
04-02-2011, 11:18 PM
My Boxer tied into one, and it was ugly. First vet I called said I could bring him in but they just hold them down and pull them. So I decided to pull them myself. Most came out fairly easy - the ones in the mouth were more interesting. :scared0015:

FCLightning
04-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Pure urban legend. Doesn't matter if you cut them or not.

X2

Always have a multi-tool on your belt when running dogs. As someone already said, that's 5 minutes work on that dog.

big-river
04-03-2011, 12:04 AM
An old timer showed me this one.
Spray some ether on a rag, hold it on the dogs nose, just enough to put it down for a few minutes, pull as many quills as you can.
Another shot of ether on the rag, pull more quills.
Makes the dog dopey, gets the quills out with less pain, and the dog recovers fast, none the worse for wear.
Seemed to work.

HunterDave
04-03-2011, 01:30 AM
When my Brittany was a pup I took him out religiously everyday for a little training. He was at the stage where I was trying to teach him to always keep me in sight so I'd either hide on him or leave him to find me if he went off on his own. Anyway, I took him out a little late in the evening one evening and didn't he find a porcupine. He must of actually bit it because he had the quills right in his gums! I remember it costing me a bit of money but he had a ton of quills in him. There was no way that I'd ever get all of those out!

sheephunter
04-03-2011, 02:09 AM
X2

Always have a multi-tool on your belt when running dogs. As someone already said, that's 5 minutes work on that dog.

A pair of locking forceps work better. I always carry a set.

Dennis780
04-03-2011, 04:56 AM
If you cut the quills just above the black part (where it's yellow), the hooks will release after a few minutes, and you can pull them out yourself, easy as pie.

Dennis

Off in the Bushes
04-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Tell them that the $ is unfair for the service and ask for it to be adjusted, works for me most of the time.

FCLightning
04-03-2011, 07:57 AM
If you cut the quills just above the black part (where it's yellow), the hooks will release after a few minutes, and you can pull them out yourself, easy as pie.

Dennis
Anyone who feels better about cutting them, go ahead and cut.
But if you get ahold of the quill to cut it, you might as well just pull it when you have ahold of it. Cutting before pulling means you need to get ahold of every quill twice and they are shorter and harder to grab the second time. They don't pull any easier and some of them will have worked their way in deeper before you do get at them, especially if you add in a few minutes extra wait time between cutting and pulling.
The wait time is also a major factor when deciding to head to the vet. The longer you leave the quills in the deeper they will work their way in. Pull as many of the quills as quickly as you can. If you get all the easy ones and their are some you just can't pull then head to the vet to get them out, but there is no sense in waiting and letting more quills become potentially serious trouble.

flyguyd
04-03-2011, 08:36 AM
I always carry a set of needle nose pliers now. My lab decided to bite one a few years ago and ended up with about 30 in the face , inside her mouth , in the nose ect. Most of the mouth ones she bit off witch left them short and slippery , i couldnt hold on to them for the life of me. Gettin that close to the dogs mouth and grabbin them with your teeth :scared0015: is overrated. Havent been without pliers since

Lefty-Canuck
04-03-2011, 08:39 AM
An old timer showed me this one.
Spray some ether on a rag, hold it on the dogs nose, just enough to put it down for a few minutes, pull as many quills as you can.
Another shot of ether on the rag, pull more quills.
Makes the dog dopey, gets the quills out with less pain, and the dog recovers fast, none the worse for wear.
Seemed to work.

^^^^^^
I just don't think i would have the "cahones" to do that to either of my dogs...

Lefty

Islander
04-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Hope the poor boy feels better, BM! We got lucky last month when my pup got into a porky. I was able to pull out all but 3 that she had chewed down to the butt. As it worked out, she was due to be spayed that week, so they were able to put her out and spay her in one go ($685 later). Unfortunately, they were unable to get the quills out (deep in her front paw, in the pad). She has healed right up, and hopefully those quills don't ever migrate to a bad spot.

FCLightning
04-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Keep feeling the skin with your hand all around. You will feel the point of the quill as it works its way out of the skin. Push it a little (you can't push them back in easily because of the barbs) and grap the point and pull it out. You will be surprised where they can migrate to and eventually exit. Hope they don't cause a problem on the way through.

ABDUKNUT
04-03-2011, 09:22 AM
$489? You got bent over bro. Next time pull em out yourself, I've pulled hundreds of quills out of dogs mouths, eyes, noses, ears, feet and belly and it's actually not as difficult or dangerous as some people would lead you to believe. Probly better for the dog too, they tend to trust someone they know better and stay calmer during the 'operation'. Don't use pliers or any sort of tools, most dogs hate these sort of things, especially near their faces, just take a firm grip and pull the quill straight out with your thumb and index finger. Do it fast, in the field, and get on with your day!

FCLightning
04-03-2011, 09:30 AM
just take a firm grip and pull the quill straight out with your thumb and index finger. Do it fast, in the field, and get on with your day!

ABDUKNUT is right, it is faster to grab them with your fingers. Get the easy ones out. But you better have a pair of needle nose pliers (locking forceps :) ) for the ones that don't pull quick and easy. The only dogs I have seen that didn't like pliers near their face were the ones that were quilled a few times already.

sheephunter
04-03-2011, 09:43 AM
Anyone who feels better about cutting them, go ahead and cut.
But if you get ahold of the quill to cut it, you might as well just pull it when you have ahold of it. Cutting before pulling means you need to get ahold of every quill twice and they are shorter and harder to grab the second time. They don't pull any easier and some of them will have worked their way in deeper before you do get at them, especially if you add in a few minutes extra wait time between cutting and pulling.
The wait time is also a major factor when deciding to head to the vet. The longer you leave the quills in the deeper they will work their way in. Pull as many of the quills as quickly as you can. If you get all the easy ones and their are some you just can't pull then head to the vet to get them out, but there is no sense in waiting and letting more quills become potentially serious trouble.

Yup!

blackmamba
04-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Thanks for everyones help and suggestions , because I am sure he will get into another one !! With him being only 5 1/2 months old ,I dont think he has quite learned his lesson just yet ....

So essesntially what happens if they break off and go undetected , do they get into the blood strem or do they work they re way out eventually ???

mamba,

sheephunter
04-03-2011, 10:01 AM
So essesntially what happens if they break off and go undetected , do they get into the blood strem or do they work they re way out eventually ???

mamba,

They can migrate into the body and cause serious issues or they can work their way out. I've seen both happen. There's really no predicting.

FCLightning
04-03-2011, 10:08 AM
They can migrate into the body and cause serious issues or they can work their way out. I've seen both happen. There's really no predicting.

Yup!

FCLightning
04-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks for everyones help and suggestions , because I am sure he will get into another one !! With him being only 5 1/2 months old ,I dont think he has quite learned his lesson just yet ....

It has been my experience that he has either learned his lesson, or he won't. Then you will have to teach him his lesson. The e-collar is the quickest and easiest. Someone else asked about rattlesnakes. There is lots of info on the net how to snake-proof a dog with the e-collar. The procedure is the same for porkies.

catnthehat
04-03-2011, 10:15 AM

mamba,

Some dogs don't others, well, they just never learn!!
I know of some dogs that get into them about every few months!!!
Cat

Big Turk
04-03-2011, 10:53 AM
I wonder how much this cost?

Lefty
04-03-2011, 11:06 AM
I've just pulled them out without any problems. My sister-in-law got a 750 dollar vet bill quote on her dog.

Islander
04-03-2011, 11:07 AM
My vets biggest concern was that the quills could migrate to the wrist or other joints. If all goes well, they will either abcess out or calcify in and cause no problems.

As far as removal goes, I read somewhere that a brushing with vinegar/baking soda solution will loosen them up, causing them to pull out with ease. Might not be great for sensitive areas like around the eyes, but I might try it out if my dog hasn't learned her lesson.

FCLightning
04-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Rather than wait till your dog is full of quills to experiment, why not get a few quills and put them in vinegar and baking soda for a few days - see if the tip gets smooth.

Redfrog
04-03-2011, 11:40 AM
I've pulled lots of quills. I grab the dog as quickly as I can before he starts rubbing etc. The leatherman or forceps and out they come. Some in the mouth and throat. I have some long forceps id I need them.

I've hear of the threat of the quills migrating but have never actually seen a case or read of one.
I have labs so it is a yearly occurrence. They will retrieve anything.

muskegnmud
04-03-2011, 07:02 PM
I have a b.i.l. who runs a vet clinic and although his thirst for money is unquenchable, he says with a smirk that most people are stoopid, they want the absolute best for their little "Fluffy" .If he charges a reasonable amount for a proceedure they wouldn't be happy thinking Fluffy only got less then the best service. But if he absolutely gouges his customers, they think they got the "best" for their poor little Fluffy.....so he's swimming in cash , Fluffy's owners are happy too and Fluffy doesn't know the difference cause the treatment it recieved is the same at a low rate or the extremely high rate.......and so the world turns......

TreeGuy
04-04-2011, 12:37 AM
Just in case you haven't tried this yet (who would????).........

Jab yourself lightly with a quill. You will be amazed at their holding power. Good way to get a gauge on any future situations.

My worst one was a bugger that caught me bad and set one 3/4ths of the way under my thumbnail (I deserved it :D). The other time I took about 20-30 in the forearm (I REALLY deserved it! :lol: )

Try it. Barely hurts at all. Trust me. :innocent:

Okotokian
04-04-2011, 10:02 AM
OP got totally hosed. Last fall on a Sunday morning while hunting near Nanton my Britt got himself a face full of quills. Vet had to come in special to take care of him. I don't recall the exact cost but all-in including anesthetic (he put the dog under) and shots to take care of possible infection the cost was less than $100. I was impressed and grateful.

He also gave me some sedative for the dog incase it happened again and showed me how to pull the quills. Said that as long as there weren't too many, they weren't in too deep, and not in the mouth or eyes it was worth a try doing it myself.

Private Ear
04-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Remember to keep track of all of the quills as you pull them! A couple could end up back in th dog where you don't know about or you could even wind up inadvertently trying Tree's little experiment on yourself.

rhuntley12
04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
After having a emergency vet call for horse last monday at 10PM and having another vet out for horse today. Both visits togather cost about what it would have taken for a single visit to vet with dog.

You'd die if you saw vet bills from last 2 years! But still love all our animals. Never had a porky incident though.

couleefolk
04-04-2011, 05:46 PM
our white lab learned quick about quills and to avoid them. he sat still while i yanked them out without anyone holding him down, and no yelping. our mut that we later had, had to be held down. later the mut decided to bite an already dead porcupine, and again we had to pin him down. both dogs however never lost any love after having the quills pulled.

saddleup
04-04-2011, 06:57 PM
I have pulled many many quills over the years from dogs, and only had to put down one dog because he got them in his eyes. I just get a good hold of the dog and start pulling I have pulled quills from the heads of yearling cattle, they never know when to quit so end up with a real snoot full.. just put them in a headgate, and start pulling; Horses rarely get quills in the heads, and if the do the quills are usually on the side of the head, and on the front legs, so actually quite easy to pull. My advise to anyone with a quilled animal, is to remain calm, control the animal as best you can, and do it yourself... after all thats all the vets gonna do, (maybe some sedative) however have yet to see an animal mad at me for pulling lol:):):)