PDA

View Full Version : baitcasting rods

alodar
04-02-2011, 08:21 PM
If you were going to buy a general purpose baitcasting rod what would it be? I'm looking for a replacement for the one I broke last summer it was a rapala X-grip one piece I was not a fan of the one piece and found the rod was not as sturdy as my med action spinning rod which is a 2 piece and was way cheaper so instead of buying another rod I'm not happy with I thought is get some opinions on what you guys like and what you like it for. I really don't care if its light med action or medium or even just straight light just looking for a general purpose rod which I could pitch out here and there when I feel the situation calls for

Dust1n
04-02-2011, 09:59 PM
go with a light bait caster of a heaver baitcaster. as these rods are ment for power. i got agility and 2 other ones and im not a fan with rapala. buy a browning...

Willowtrail
04-02-2011, 10:39 PM
I bought a Berkley Lightning Rod Shock last year. Cheap price but is great quality. Got at Can Tire. I think it was $50. Med action, 6'6"

I would buy one again. I loaded it with 50 lb Braid and pulled in a 19lb Pike out of wab with it and it performed great.

I don't buy expensive rods and put in tubes every night.

canned Tuna
04-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Get a 2pc series one by berkley upto 20lb line. All purpose Med. heavy for spinner bait's, spoons, crankbaits. Good warranty and the guys from Pure fishing own almost all rod and reel brands. Check the pure fishing site.

biggamehunter
04-02-2011, 10:44 PM
I use rapala r-type rod and reel. Its unreal!

alodar
04-04-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'll be doing some more looking around in the next few weeks.

npauls
04-04-2011, 01:00 PM
I also bought a lightning rod shock from canadian tire. I haven't used it all that much but it seems like a really good rod. I used mine more for trolling while walleye fishing. I am hoping to get out and use it for casting a few times this year. I liked the rod enough that I bought another one to match up with a pflueger president spinning reel to use for jigging.

chubbdarter
04-04-2011, 01:01 PM
what price range?

tacklerunner
04-04-2011, 01:52 PM
I also bought a lightning rod shock from canadian tire. I haven't used it all that much but it seems like a really good rod. I used mine more for trolling while walleye fishing. I am hoping to get out and use it for casting a few times this year. I liked the rod enough that I bought another one to match up with a pflueger president spinning reel to use for jigging.

Not sure it will make a huge difference for jigging for walleye but does the rod you bought have small eyes uniform in size or eyes that increase in size from tip to butt? The small eyes is a baitcasting rod and the eyes that progress in size is a spin casting rod. The spine or flex on a baitcasting rod vs a spin casting rod are on opposite side of the rod. Baitcaster designed to flex with eyes facing up and spincaster designed to flex with eyes down. If they are the exact same rod you should notice that when using it with the spinning reel it will feel stiffer and have less bend than your baitcasting set up. Just curious as to how much of a difference you would notice or if the manufacturer takes the time to find the "spine" before building the rod. I've always wondered if the mass produce rod manufacturers took the time to do this.

chubbdarter
04-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Not sure it will make a huge difference for jigging for walleye but does the rod you bought have small eyes uniform in size or eyes that increase in size from tip to butt? The small eyes is a baitcasting rod and the eyes that progress in size is a spin casting rod. The spine or flex on a baitcasting rod vs a spin casting rod are on opposite side of the rod. Baitcaster designed to flex with eyes facing up and spincaster designed to flex with eyes down. If they are the exact same rod you should notice that when using it with the spinning reel it will feel stiffer and have less bend than your baitcasting set up. Just curious as to how much of a difference you would notice or if the manufacturer takes the time to find the "spine" before building the rod. I've always wondered if the mass produce rod manufacturers took the time to do this.

isnt the trigger claw a dead give-away on the lighting rod?

tacklerunner
04-04-2011, 02:13 PM
isnt the trigger claw a dead give-away on the lighting rod?

I hear ya. Never seen or paid attention to this brand.

tacklerunner
04-04-2011, 02:25 PM
I did buy a nice 6' 6" medium action Pfluger baitcasting combo at CanTire not because I needed one but because it was 50% off at the time. Tried it in the yard but haven't used it yet. Nice feel. I'll probably jig and troll with it too.

npauls
04-04-2011, 03:37 PM
Ya I bought one of each style, Both the baitcasting one for my abu garcia black max reel and a spinning version for my pflueger president reel. Both seem really nice. Can't wait for may 8th to get here so I can get back out and test them out some more.

alodar
04-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Well I was at The reel doctor and trevor gave me a superb deal on a fly rod/reel and a baitcast I could not refuse superb just fantastic I settled on an abu Garcia

mszomola
04-05-2011, 09:53 AM
The best bait casting rod I have ever held so far is one with micro guides , i wont buy a rod without them anymore , the balance is incredible ,.... I'm using a quantum smoke with micro guides but there's a few different brands that offer them , I would check tacklewherehouse and look at those ducket rods .

SushiUnagi
04-05-2011, 10:18 PM
I've got the Rapala Avantis combo. Works really well for me thus far. Haven't used another baitcaster rod though so can't compare.

http://www.rapala.ca/products/rapala/avantis.php

Braun
04-05-2011, 10:27 PM
The best bait casting rod I have ever held so far is one with micro guides , i wont buy a rod without them anymore , the balance is incredible ,.... I'm using a quantum smoke with micro guides but there's a few different brands that offer them , I would check tacklewherehouse and look at those ducket rods .

my baitcasting rod has microguides. but, it also has something a little different. It is a custom made rod and the first 3 guides rotate around the black so the the top 5 eyelets are on the bottom of the blank. its a sweet unit. I havent been able to use it much but definitely will be using it more this year

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-06-2011, 12:14 AM
I never even saw this thread until now . What do you want in a baitcaster , something for Walleye , casting crankbaits and such, or something for pike , sturgeon , trolling , kinda all purpose rod .

Shimano makes some really nice baitcasters . CALLISTO is a great entry baitcaster , as is the CORVALUS. If you wanna spend a few bucks look at the CALCUTTA , or CITICA . The Callisto and Citica are both smaller reels , where as the Corvalus and Calcutta Are bigger reels . I own several of both . Just wish Quantum made Big baitcaster reels .

alodar
04-06-2011, 09:36 AM
I never even saw this thread until now . What do you want in a baitcaster , something for Walleye , casting crankbaits and such, or something for pike , sturgeon , trolling , kinda all purpose rod .

Shimano makes some really nice baitcasters . CALLISTO is a great entry baitcaster , as is the CORVALUS. If you wanna spend a few bucks look at the CALCUTTA , or CITICA . The Callisto and Citica are both smaller reels , where as the Corvalus and Calcutta Are bigger reels . I own several of both . Just wish Quantum made Big baitcaster reels .

I already picked one up med action abu Garcia to go with my reel

HunterDave
04-06-2011, 11:08 AM
I bought a Berkley Lightning Rod Shock last year. Cheap price but is great quality. Got at Can Tire. I think it was $50. Med action, 6'6".

They were putting these rods on the rack yesterday in Can Tire St Albert. I looked at a combo rod and baitcaster reel and they were $140. I can't remember which reel it was but it was a good quality one. Now to wait until there's a sale on them. :)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-06-2011, 11:41 AM
I already picked one up med action abu Garcia to go with my reel

Ohhhhh , LOL