PDA

View Full Version : What is in your dog's first aide kit?

densa44
04-02-2011, 10:53 PM
I have suture scissors, hemostat, various bandages, duct tape, sterile saline, small pliers, needle and thread, gauze pads, adhesive tape, dog boots, and a stretchy fabric that she wears under her boots, and baby oil. I wish I had real sutures. Oh yes and polysporin.

I carry it in the back of my orange jacket or in the case of water fowling in my pack.

What else do you people use.

I just saw a post where my pliers saved me $488.!

blackmamba
04-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks densa....lol... atleast I will know for next time...

However for as much time as I spend outdoors I have never ever thought of a first aid kit for the dog !!

Actually a very great idea ..

mamba,

threeforthree
04-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Great stuff 44 I also carry Benadryl and pepto bismol,

WCTHEMI
04-03-2011, 12:14 AM
That is a great idea, gonna have to put one together.

slough shark
04-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Hey if someone who has a little more birding experience than me (just got the pup this last fall so I'll be hunting with him this fall and he's my first dog) what sort of common injuries does one get with the dogs? I know of the porkies so I carry a multi tool and I could see the needle and thread for large cuts, are there any others to watch out for?

threeforthree
04-03-2011, 12:54 AM
and I could see the needle and thread for large cuts, are there any others to watch out for?

Any cut that is that deep that needs to be stiched should be done by a vet. saline and polysporin to keep moist and clean are the big things, you may have some Nail issues and pad problems. Good luck with your new pup!!!!

HunterDave
04-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Keep a water bottle handy to flush the seeds, etc out of his eyes. Depending on the fields that you hunt with him it can be brutal. Maybe tweezers for pulling things out of their paws......Alberta rose thorns can be a bit of a nuisance once in awhile but not a show stopper. My spaniel used to get all kinds of junk in his ears too but the q-tips could wait until we got home. I wouldn't try sewing up a dog.........they don't care for that too much. :)

FCLightning
04-03-2011, 08:09 AM
No one wants to try stitching up their dog out in the field.
Multi tool and vet wrap. That's all I got out in the field. I don't consider the water bottle first aid. The polysporin, aspirin, bandages, etc. etc. are at home or the camper with my first aid kit if I need them.

densa44
04-03-2011, 08:34 AM
I use the baby oil every time she goes out, buy it at the dollar store, put on my hands rub on her legs, face, under body, and "arm pits" believe or not, and I didn't until I saw it work, she is able to shake off the burrs.

Most injuries come on the feet or shins. She wears "gaiters" like a horse because she is able to wear the fur off her fore legs after a day or two.

While I don't recommend stitching up a dog in the field I've had to do it once and helped a friend on another occasion. The most serious was a large laceration on my friends CBR on his belly.

Cam wrapped his belt around Chirs's muzzle and put a few emergency stitches in his awesome dog until we could get back to Winnipeg for proper Vet care.

Mine was a cut on the muzzle cause by a fight with a muskrat. I put in four stitches, prior to heading into the Vet, he thought that they were pretty good and left them in.

The stitches ARE NOT to save money, they are only for deperate situations to save the dog.

Grizzly Adams
04-03-2011, 09:10 AM
I use the baby oil every time she goes out, buy it at the dollar store, put on my hands rub on her legs, face, under body, and "arm pits" believe or not, and I didn't until I saw it work, she is able to shake off the burrs.

Most injuries come on the feet or shins. She wears "gaiters" like a horse because she is able to wear the fur off her fore legs after a day or two.

While I don't recommend stitching up a dog in the field I've had to do it once and helped a friend on another occasion. The most serious was a large laceration on my friends CBR on his belly.

Cam wrapped his belt around Chirs's muzzle and put a few emergency stitches in his awesome dog until we could get back to Winnipeg for proper Vet care.

Mine was a cut on the muzzle cause by a fight with a muskrat. I put in four stitches, prior to heading into the Vet, he thought that they were pretty good and left them in.

The stitches ARE NOT to save money, they are only for deperate situations to save the dog.

Stitches are not a First Aid measure. By sealing dirt and bacteria into the wound you can just make the situation more serious. Pressure bandage, gauze pads and get the mutt to a vet ASP. Superficial wounds can look way more serious, to the untrained eye, than they really are.

Grizz

artie
04-03-2011, 09:15 AM
for you people that hunt in rattlesnake country do their bites kill a dog. How do you handle it if you are out in an area where you know their are rattlers.

FCLightning
04-03-2011, 09:25 AM

With all due respect densa, you did not save the life of your dog by stitching a muskrat bite, nor did your friend with the abdominal cut on his dog. You risked further complications for no gain.

densa44
04-03-2011, 09:52 AM
In the case of the Chessie, you could see the dog's bowel. It was very upsetting for us. We were near, if near is the right word Gypsumville in Northern Manitpoba.

We we very worried that the dog would make his wound worse, say puncture the bowel. That was before I had a first aid kit.

The spaniel had his lip ripped and the weather was such that we could not get to town and the dog's tongue was at the rip all the time.

It is hard to see an animal in great distress and not try to something. I'm sure there are many times you could and do make it worse. I guess I've been lucky.

greylynx
04-03-2011, 01:28 PM
One item that has not been mentioned is betadine, an iodine soap sterilizer used for surgery.

It is excellent for cleaning around wounds of every type to reduce the chances of infection.

Grizzly Adams
04-03-2011, 01:37 PM
One item that has not been mentioned is betadine, an iodine soap sterilizer used for surgery.

It is excellent for cleaning around wounds of every type to reduce the chances of infection.

I've got a human type First Aid kit in my truck and one of the problems is that this type of stuff freezes. Same with hydrogen peroxide and then you've got to wonder if it's any good, when you need it. Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is if that if you carry all this stuff around with you, it can be worse than useless if you don't know how to use it. An exposed bowel is not a first aid situation, even if you recognize it. The human recommended response is cover with a moistened gauze and get medical help, Immediately. Don't mess around with it.

Grizz

greylynx
04-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Your right Grizz. I with agree with you 100 percent when presented with a trauma situation. Tending to massive wounds is the job of a vet.

Just like with humans, shock and possible unconciousness with loss of breathing are one of the first major concerns that have to be addressed by the dog owner who's animal is facing major trauma.

This brings something to mind. Mouth to mouth from human to a dog. I wonder how many owners know this procedure?

I suggest betadine for simple superficial stuff to reduce infection around the wound and possible blood poisoning. It kills bacteria and virii much better than rubbing alcohol.

Again Grizz you are absolutely right.

dale7637
04-03-2011, 02:24 PM
I spend some time on occasion helping out a vet friend when he has unruly large animals to deal with. I watched this vet save a rottwieler with mouth to mouth. It was surreal. It is something that I would suggest every dog owner should know how to do.

whitetailhntr
04-03-2011, 02:36 PM
My Fiancee is an emergency vet... I take her with me.:)

Kramsky
04-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Pour a couple of salt packs in the mout to make them vomit. If they get into something (mouse poison or some chemical) it'll come in real handy.

J-hawk
04-03-2011, 04:02 PM
A tablespoon or two of hydrogen peroxide will induce vomiting if needed. Also, you might want to pick up a surgical staple set - much easier than needle and thread if no sedative is available.

greylynx
04-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Poisoning

Another horrible issue to deal with your dog.

Why does every vet have a bottle or two of vodka in the meds fridge?

Are all vets a bunch of boozers?

No.

The vodka (40 percent ethanol) is used as an antidote for anti-freeze poisoning.

Anti-freeze has ethylene glycol in it, which will kill a dog. The vodka stops the horrible biochemical reactions that occur in the organs from consumption of anti-freeze.

So a mickey of vodka might be another item for one's kit.

FCLightning
04-03-2011, 06:21 PM
I thought the treatment was with IV administration, not orally.

greylynx
04-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I thought the treatment was with IV administration, not orally.

Excellent comment.

ethanol mixed with a saline drip sounds more logical. The liver and kidneys would be permeated in a very short time.

How would one explain ethanol in the dog's kit?

Snake bite medicine for the owner?:medium-smiley-035:

Cattle Dog
04-03-2011, 08:16 PM
What is the proper method of removing a few porcupine quills on exterior of dog:
does one cut off the blunt end of the quill first, before pulling the quill ? or not?

Redfrog
04-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I don't cut, I just get busy pulling. The faster the better. as far as stitching a dog goes it really is a situation/experience call. I would not hesitate to stitch my dog, my horse or myself if needed. Different situations call for different action. To sit at the computer and decide what should be done in the middle of the night hours from medical help is a little over the top.

Pixel Shooter
04-03-2011, 11:17 PM
I have a dog kit I purchased at gun dog supply long ago. it has come in handy, best to have on you not in the truck

http://www.gundogsupply.com/ready-dog-professional-first-aid-kit.html

Contents:

"Emergency First Aid For Your Dog" Handbook
7 1/4" Stainless Steel Paramedic Shears
5 1/2" Stainless Steel Kelly Forceps
Skin Stapler w/ 35 SS Staples
52 x 84 Mylar Emergency Blanket
Sterile 4 x 4 Gauze Pads
Sterile 5 x 9 ABD Pads
Sterile 10 x 30 Multi-Trauma Dressing
4.5" x 4 yd Sterile Bulk Roll Gauze
4" x 5 yd 3M Vetrap self adhering bandage wrap
4 Sterile Cotton Tipped Applicators
1" x 10 yd. Waterproof Medical Tape
1" x 18" Latex Free Tourniquet
8 oz. Bottle Hydrogen Peroxide
4 oz. Bottle Eye Wash
Instant Cold Compress
Sharptemp veterinary thermometer w/case and clip
Packet of Lubricating Jelly
Syringe
10 twin packs Aspirin Tablets
8 Antihistamine Capsules
2 Packets Honey
1 oz. Buck Mountain Wound Aid
Exam Gloves
Emergency Information Card
Odor Removal Solution Recipe
Electrolyte Replacement / Canine Energy Drink

Okotokian
04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Great stuff 44 I also carry Benadryl and pepto bismol,

How would you ever know if your dog needs this, or what appropriate dossage for a dog would be, or if it was even suitable for a dog at all? Also see some carry aspirin, antihistamines,

More generally, some of what folks carry for a dog seems like overkill, IMHO. I bet they don't have some of those items in their own first aid kit. I'm not about to perform surgery or stitch up my dog. I'm going to pull the quills out or patch him up temporarily like I would a person and drive him to the vet.

Okotokian
04-04-2011, 10:30 AM
The human recommended response is cover with a moistened gauze and get medical help, Immediately. Don't mess around with it.

Exactly. Why would you try more with your dog than is universally recommended in a human first-aid situation? And it's a heck of a lot easier to evacuate a dog than a person.

Redfrog
04-04-2011, 10:36 AM
My hunting experience is different than yours. Medical attention may not be available in a timely manner. I don't understand why anyone would dismiss the treatment or concerns of a dog's owner without knowing the circumstances.

Because you have not had to deal with an life threatening emergency does not mean no one has. Some of us get more than 100 yds from the blacktop.:thinking-006:

We may even be able to change a tire without the auto club.:thinking-006:

Pixel Shooter
04-04-2011, 11:26 AM

its one thing to have a kit in case of an emergency, it's another to have done your home work to know what to do with what you have in your emergency kit.

When you spend a tremendous amount of time out in the field with your dogs, your going to run into things and many times where there is no medical attn. Kit is there to buy time till you can get help.

threeforthree
04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=Okotokian;893556]How would you ever know if your dog needs this, or what appropriate dossage for a dog would be, or if it was even suitable for a dog at all? Also see some carry aspirin, antihistamines,

QUOTE]

Well if your dog gets stung from wasps or bitten by spiders when out in the field and they start to swell up you give them a Benadryl and if they ate something out in the field and they are still working fine and they can shxx thru a needle I am going to give them one pepto bismol pill.Due your own DD and you will see what they need.

threeforthree
04-04-2011, 11:46 AM
I keep a tube of this with me in my truck at all times, its truly amazing stuff, I have always bought mine in the USA though

http://www.things4yourdog.com/emt%20first-aid%20gel%20ointment

Okotokian
04-04-2011, 11:52 AM
[QUOTE=Okotokian;893556]How would you ever know if your dog needs this, or what appropriate dossage for a dog would be, or if it was even suitable for a dog at all? Also see some carry aspirin, antihistamines,

QUOTE]

Well if your dog gets stung from wasps or bitten by spiders when out in the field and they start to swell up you give them a Benadryl and if they ate something out in the field and they are still working fine and they can shxx thru a needle I am going to give them one pepto bismol pill.Due your own DD and you will see what they need.

Fair enough. I guess I would be worried about guessing the true cause of the symptoms you mention. I don't try to self-medicate my dog when he has loose stools at home. I probably wouldn't try in the field. If you have the training to do so and know the appropriateness of product and dosage on a small animal that's a different matter. I just don't have that level of knowledge, so wouldn't use medications on my dog that are sold for human use.

S-in-Cochrane
04-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Is there such a thing as a First Aid class for dogs? I mean for people about dogs.

I've taken regular first aid training, but like Oko said, I would not want to be guessing about what human meds a dog can have etc.

__
S

Redfrog
04-04-2011, 11:58 AM
There are actually first aid classes for dogs to take. Unfortunately to date only labs are smart enough to take them:)

threeforthree
04-04-2011, 12:03 PM
about pepto and your dog.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dog-pepto-bismol.html

benadryl
http://dog-allergy-info.com/proper-use-of-benadryl-for-dogs/

densa44
04-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Where can you buy that product? Have you tried it and does it work. We all know what happens when they get a cut from barbed wire or what have you. If there was something that would help it heal and keep her from working on the bandage, I'll buy it.

Something else, after a couple of days at the start of Pheasant season, she works so hard that the hair comes off her shins. I'm using that sport wrap stuff, and it is O.K. but if there is a product like "shin pads" I'd buy that too.

Nothing is too good for the dog!

Pixel Shooter
04-04-2011, 12:08 PM
there are a few first aid courses for dogs available in Alberta, here is one up coming in Calgary

http://www.dogsafe.ca/regformcalgary.html

threeforthree
04-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Where can you buy that product? Have you tried it and does it work. We all know what happens when they get a cut from barbed wire or what have you. If there was something that would help it heal and keep her from working on the bandage, I'll buy it.

Something else, after a couple of days at the start of Pheasant season, she works so hard that the hair comes off her shins. I'm using that sport wrap stuff, and it is O.K. but if there is a product like "shin pads" I'd buy that too.

Nothing is too good for the dog!

I have bought it in BIG R in Greatfalls and scheels also carrys it, lots of horse handlers use it also. The dogs get hit hard by fence lines,.