PDA

View Full Version : Buying an infaltable boat

Bennettcw
04-03-2011, 08:29 AM
Looking to buy an inflatable boat, but am unsure as to the flooring. I like to take my lab with me fishing, as we as it will be used for hunting. I can choose a wood, fiberglass, or an aluminum floor. Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Bennett

FishingFrenzy
04-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Everyone will have their own opinion but if aluminum is an option, get it. Aluminum is light, strong and it lasts forever!

What brand of boat are you buying? How are you powering it?

Elk Chaser
04-03-2011, 10:22 AM
I have a wooden one for my Zebec and the thing is 5 years old and doesn't look beat up at all. Just remember that when the sun is beating down on the aluminum it will get very hot. I will also get really cold in the fall and will have a tendency to ice up if the dog is going in and out while duck hunting.

jungleboy
04-03-2011, 11:29 AM
I had a zodiac with a wood floor and honestly I found it to be a PIA when packing it up or setting up the boat , and heavy to deal with . If I ever get another inflatable it will be the Zebec sportbug.they are much more versatile ,only the pontoons contact the water and they are self bailing as well.There is no floor to install ,just unroll the boat ,inflate it and you're ready to go.Sort of like a river raft with a transom.

sheephunter
04-03-2011, 11:34 AM
I had a zodiac with a wood floor and honestly I found it to be a PIA when and heavy to deal with . If I ever get another inflatable it will be the Zebec sportbug ,the are much more versatile ,only the pontoons contact the water and they are self bailing as well.Sort of like a river raft with a transom.

I've got a high-pressure air deck in my Zebec, it works awesome. Very light and no trouble standing up in the inflatable. It's a good option when weight is a concern.

jungleboy
04-03-2011, 11:38 AM
I've got a high-pressure air deck in my Zebec, it works awesome. Very light and no trouble standing up in the inflatable. It's a good option when weight is a concern.

I had a "Saturn" inflatable with a high pressure air floor and I found I couldn't get it rigid enough .It was fine if you were just poking along , but when I throttled up (15hp) the floor would want to cavitate and I could not bring it up in plane.

sheephunter
04-03-2011, 11:39 AM
I had a "Saturn" inflatable with a high pressure air floor and I found I couldn't get it rigid enough .It was fine if you were just poking along , but when I throttled up (15hp) the floor would want to cavitate and I could not bring it up in plane.

This is a high pressure air deck...not a floor. Two very different things.

jungleboy
04-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Air Deck? does it install over the inflated keel and you inflate it ?

jungleboy
04-03-2011, 12:50 PM
I just saw your clip on youtube SH .I see what you mean now about the air deck,good info ,I really like the Zebec product but still think for the versatility I would go with the Zebec sportbug . No floor to install or get sand under etc.. That being said though ,if you leave your boat set up all season long then it becomes less of an issue. I had my zodiac because I wanted something I could break down and pack on the quad and it was just bulky .

sheephunter
04-03-2011, 02:46 PM
I just saw your clip on youtube SH .I see what you mean now about the air deck,good info ,I really like the Zebec product but still think for the versatility I would go with the Zebec sportbug . No floor to install or get sand under etc.. That being said though ,if you leave your boat set up all season long then it becomes less of an issue. I had my zodiac because I wanted something I could break down and pack on the quad and it was just bulky .

Ya, mine gets stuffed in a lot of small planes so weight and portability are crucial to me. The air deck seemed the perfect solution. Great support for the dog or when you through moose quarters and such in too.