PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Kia SUV's

sheepguide
04-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Just curious on what people that have them think? Are they decent SUV's?
SG

berjerkin
04-03-2011, 12:17 PM
AAAAAHHHH EEEEEEHHHH!

they are crap. flimsy and cheap, don't last very long.

bucktaker
04-03-2011, 12:45 PM
heard that the pistons are made of cheap pot metal. They seem to be more of a disposable vehicle. Tread carefully.

varmit9
04-03-2011, 12:51 PM
the sorento was just named family suv of the year by car and driver. they have gone through a complete redesign over the last couple years. i know several people that have one and have no complaints. almost bought a 2011 sorento myself but didn't like the panoramic sunroof, went with a Hyundai santa fe gls sport instead.

vinny
04-03-2011, 12:58 PM
When we were suv shopping last fall my wife test drove one, but preferred the Hyundai Santa Fe as well.

sewerrat
04-03-2011, 01:10 PM
I don't mind the look, would I buy a Kia? probably not , it is just the name that I don't like, the first kia's were junk and I still think they are but I don't know.

same with Hyundai like the look would never buy one, even used ones now are cheap,
I used to have a Hyundai pony and what a chitty car that was.

JB_AOL
04-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Kia has made huge strides in the past couple of years. I would definitely consider one if I was in the market for a new vehicle. For the price, they are one of the best options out there, Especially when you factor in warranty. Would I buy one that's 4-5 years old, probably no, But a new one, definitely.

Sure they've got work ahead of them to get rid of the stigma from 10 years ago, but I think they are doing a great job.

fordtruckin
04-03-2011, 03:46 PM
KIA - Killed in Action. I've heard horror stories about the older ones breaking down and just generally being unreliable. Have they changed? I don't know, don't really pay that much attention. I prefer domestic vehicles!

thumper
04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
We were in the market too- but ultimately chose the Sante Fe as well. My wife just feels 'safer' in the Hyundai, and I like its 3000 lb tow rating!

varmit9
04-03-2011, 04:01 PM
here is more info on how far kia has come since 2009
http://www.kia.com/#/kmmg/

watch some of the video's it is really interesting.

lots of people don't know that kia and hyundai are owned by the same company KMMG and are built at the same plant in georgia

elkhunter11
04-03-2011, 04:06 PM
We were in the market too- but ultimately chose the Sante Fe as well. My wife just feels 'safer' in the Hyundai, and I like its 3000 lb tow rating!

My parents have had a Tucson since last summer, and they much prefer it to the Pontiac that they owned previously.

kokanee83
04-03-2011, 07:24 PM
They also come with the best warrenty in the biz. I was gonna buy one for the wife but she didnt want to finance. Fair enough i suppose. But i was convinced and i shopped around alot that weekend

Trax
04-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Worked with a guy who owned a Sportage and had nothing but issues.
Sold it and took a major loss to buy a Nissan.
How much cheaper are they then, Honda, Toyota, or Nissan if you take resale value into consideration.

Albertadiver
04-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Drove a santa fe about 2400kms. (two trips from calgary to lac la biche and back) This was a brand new rental each time. I was surprised by the pep of the vehicle. My first impressions was this was a piece of junk. It grew on me after a while though.

Handled tight, but the ride was brutal. I'm 6'0" and 225lbs, and I felt crammed into the driver's seat. Couldn't put the seat back far enough, my gas foot was always pulled up at a high angle if that makes any sense.

Kia... well drove one before they improved the design and I didn't like that version. Maybe they've improved.

I really liked the 1996 and 2001 Jimmy's I owned though. Now I'm into pickups.