PDA

View Full Version : where to buy a forge for knifemaking

deaner
04-03-2011, 08:34 PM
I am thinking about starting knifemaking as a hobby. It looks like alot of fun. What do I need to acquire to get started and where would you get it. Have looked around but have never seen where you could get a forge.
Dean

chiefmanywords
04-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Have a visit with your local farrier, he will know where to get them because they all use them for making horseshoes, that they use.

Grizzly Adams
04-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Have a visit with your local farrier, he will know where to get them because they all use them for making horseshoes, that they use.

Hoof and Nail Farrier Supplies, in Calgary , sells them. Alternative is to get the book, the 50. knife Shop book and build your own.

Grizz

leo
04-04-2011, 05:46 AM
The Farm auction season is about to begin:sHa_shakeshout:. Should pick one up some where.

caver77
04-04-2011, 06:56 AM
Depending on what your goal really is you might be better to try some stock removal knife making first, and then progress to forging, because you'll likely need the tools anyways. Get yourself some good books check out some of the great vids on YT, there's great info out there these days. If your truely after a forge I would recommed builing your own propane or natural gas one I think they are way easier than coal. If your planning on using stainless I found it easiest to get the heat treating done, unless you have a kiln it very hard to do a professional job yourself, at least I was never happy with the job I did compared to the one a local guy could do for me at such a reasonable cost. It's a great deal of fun to try and turn a piece of steel into a beautiful tool, have fun!

sinawalli
04-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Try Ranger Original out of Cremona.

dogboy
04-04-2011, 09:08 PM
check out the mag. "The Backwoodsman " they have a lot of articals on Knifemaking

jungleboy
04-04-2011, 09:11 PM
tons of videos on you tube on this subject and how to build a forge

Kim473
04-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Could allways use some old saw blades from a logging mill. Allready hardened steel.

Grizzly Adams
04-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Could allways use some old saw blades from a logging mill. Allready hardened steel.

I've made a couple of knives and hatchets out of those. What I've been told is that with, carbide tooth, blades, they use a low quality steel for the rest of the blade and you still have to heat treat it, to make it worth while.

Grizz