PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done business with these guys?

dcutter
04-03-2011, 09:11 PM
When I was in Afghanistan in 2007, my wife decided to get the cement slab patio mud-jacked to bring up the grade away from the house.

She got in touch with an outfit called "Uretek", now called "Poly-Mor Canada".

She was really happy with the initial work, but the slab has recently started to drop again. 10 year warranty came with the product, so she called them to see if they could come back and see what was going on (I was in Afghanistan again when this happened).

The guy on the phone told her to take some pictures and he would be able to tell by the pictures if the slab was back to a negative grade. My Missus was not happy with the interaction she had with this guy, and decided to wait until I got back.

Now I'm back, spring has sprung and I can see the slab is definitely graded back to the house, so I am going to be calling and talking to the magician who can see a negative grade from a photo :)

Just wondering if anyone has done business with this company and if it was positive or negative results.

Justanotherbuck2
04-04-2011, 07:03 AM
Put a three foot level on the slab and take a close up of the indicator bubble this should be clear for them.

sikwhiskey
04-05-2011, 01:35 AM
Put a few 7.62x51 nato rnds on the slab, and vidio tape them rolling back to the house. that should do for the grade. Don't forget to mention you just got back from Afganistan! Best of wish's, and thank you!

Grizzly Adams
04-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Mud jacking is a temporary fix, in a lot of cases. Usually means poor compaction below. Mudjacking lifts the slab, then it looks good , till the base settles some more. Wish I could be more encouraging. Best fix is to rip the slab out and start over. Also helps to dowel the slab into the foundation.

Grizz

dcutter
04-05-2011, 08:28 AM
Best fix is to rip the slab out and start over.

Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was looking for words of encouragement Grizz!! Then you come and poop on my day full of sunshine and lolly-pops!!! :)

Yeah, I figured that tearing it out is the way to go to do it right. I'm not sure what I'm going to do now though. Don't have time to fix it with my move coming up quick and the frost isn't letting up any time soon that I'm aware of.

Just to add onto my initial post though: I got hold of the guy at Poly-Mor yesterday with less than satisfactory results. Turns out, they stand behind their product 100%...up until the time it fails, and then they are harder to nail down than snot to a board.

"Well we don't schedule recall work...you'll just have to wait and when the guys have some spare time, they will just show up."

"We will probably be available from late May toward the end of June, but I can't make any promises."

I was really happy with the initial installation (I should say my Missus was happy, as I wasn't here), but now I am getting a little concerned. I hate to even think this, but a Lawyer might be my next step. :angry3:

dcutter
04-05-2011, 08:29 AM
Put a few 7.62x51 nato rnds on the slab, and vidio tape them rolling back to the house. that should do for the grade. Don't forget to mention you just got back from Afganistan! Best of wish's, and thank you!

Now this idea I like!!!

AbAngler
04-05-2011, 09:10 AM
The writing is on the wall. These guys are going to screw you around. Spend $50 and get a lawyer to write them a letter. Show them you mean business. I've had good results doing this.

Redfrog
04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
The writing is on the wall. These guys are going to screw you around. Spend $50 and get a lawyer to write them a letter. Show them you mean business. I've had good results doing this.

X2 get his attention. then there is small claims court. Takes abit of time but costs are reasonable.

Dennis780
04-05-2011, 12:46 PM
When I was in Afghanistan in 2007, my wife decided to get the cement slab patio mud-jacked to bring up the grade away from the house.

She got in touch with an outfit called "Uretek", now called "Poly-Mor Canada".

She was really happy with the initial work, but the slab has recently started to drop again. 10 year warranty came with the product, so she called them to see if they could come back and see what was going on (I was in Afghanistan again when this happened).

The guy on the phone told her to take some pictures and he would be able to tell by the pictures if the slab was back to a negative grade. My Missus was not happy with the interaction she had with this guy, and decided to wait until I got back.

Now I'm back, spring has sprung and I can see the slab is definitely graded back to the house, so I am going to be calling and talking to the magician who can see a negative grade from a photo :)

Just wondering if anyone has done business with this company and if it was positive or negative results.

Never done business with them, but it doesn't make sense that they would have you take pictures and send them to them. If your car starts making a funny sound, the company doesn't say, take the part off, and take pictures, we'll know if it's a warranty issue. They are obligated by law to inspect your claim by a qualified worker, and determine if the services or the product are not doing what they are supposed to. If they refuse to look at it, I would recommend taking a picture of the concrete with a level on it. It also helps to look at it at level, so take the pictures close to the ground, not at eye level.

It doesn't matter what the degree of difference is however. If the company had no warranty, then they are obligated by implied warranty only, in that the product or service must do what it is intended, but without time allowance. If you have a 10 year warranty, and the service is designed to level concrete, the concrete must stay level for the given time, within a reasonable degree of difference (to allow for ground shift, settling, and frost heaving).

In most cases, the degree of difference is 10% of the measured unit (I would assume in this case being angular degrees), however, this can vary from case to case, especially if the slight change has caused water pooling, wood rot, change of drainage direction, etc.

Call them and tell them they must come out to inspect their work, if they refuse, offer them a reasonable time frame to change their mind, two weeks(ish). If they do not come out, call the BBB, and a government form inspector to come review the work. They will report it, and the government will take the reins.

Dennis

caver77
04-05-2011, 01:24 PM
Do you have the ten year part in writing?Hope you still have the paperwork.